2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We actually got an email from PSU about CYMS tool that states that you must drop all waitlists and commit to Penn State by June 19 (3 weeks before the start of orientation)!
Thanks, found the email! And I believe we have to PTE by May 1st as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a scholarship of any kind yet?
I had my meeting with the financial aid officer on Monday, and they said they'll be sending out scholarships and university loans beginning next week and not to worry if you aren't in the first batch. They're meeting this week to see which students are getting it first. I believe they said for scholarships, one of the soft criteria is if you qualified for the Pell Grant during undergrad

Reactions: 2 users
Omg that’s fantastic to hear, I was so nervous that my financial aid award was finalized!! I really need some scholarship money lol just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, but you have already received the financial aid award for loans, right? And the scholarships will be added to that once they have decided?
Yup! Was nervous about the same thing and during the meeting, I asked them if any university loans and/or scholarships will be added or if that's just it. They responded saying it's a case-by-case basis but went into my account and used my Pell Grant status as eligibility. They're doing scholarships or university loans (can't remember which one rn) different this year where the minimum they can give you is like 6k (iirc) but it may be compounded with a duplicate. For ex, you receive two scholarships (or university loans, again can't remember) for 6k for a total of 12k.

I wonder if the waitlist is tiered or they gave us a number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol why are we getting all different responses though I did email like mid March so maybe they changed policy?

Lol why are we getting all different responses though I did email like mid March so maybe they changed policy?
They just didn't clarify. They ONLY accept LOIs post April 30/May 1 date. However, this is not to be an update letter, meaning it is strictly an LOI. No updates to activities/experiences will be considered unless they are academic in nature (i.e. official transcript grades). I hope that clarifies for all my friends on Hold. We just gotta stick it out until May.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if the waitlist is tiered or they gave us a number.
i'm curious too but the Hold email made it sound like they will meet to review waitlisted applicants after April 30. That makes it sound like it isn't a concrete ranking they just move down based on vacancies. Then again, that's just my speculation.

They just didn't clarify. They ONLY accept LOIs post April 30/May 1 date. However, this is not to be an update letter, meaning it is strictly an LOI. No updates to activities/experiences will be considered unless they are academic in nature (i.e. official transcript grades). I hope that clarifies for all my friends on Hold. We just gotta stick it out until May.
I thought they didn’t accept letters (including letters of intent) at any point in the cycle? Did you ask them via email or was it something they sent to people who are on the waitlist already?

I thought they didn’t accept letters (including letters of intent) at any point in the cycle? Did you ask them via email or was it something they sent to people who are on the waitlist already?

Asked them via email after i was places on the waitlist.

Asked them via email after i was places on the waitlist.
To confirm, they allow LOIs only after you’ve been waitlisted (as long as it’s sent after April 30th)? I’m still on hold - does this mean that my hold will turn into an R after April 30th? Since they already have their waitlist?

To confirm, they allow LOIs only after you’ve been waitlisted (as long as it’s sent after April 30th)? I’m still on hold - does this mean that my hold will turn into an R after April 30th? Since they already have their waitlist?
They will continue to review people on Hold from now through May and June, and who knows even July. However, there is a chance that as they continue to review Holds, we may get an R from this point onward. If you remain on Hold past April 30/May 1, then you can send an LOI. Does that make sense?

They will continue to review people on Hold from now through May and June, and who knows even July. However, there is a chance that as they continue to review Holds, we may get an R from this point onward. If you remain on Hold past April 30/May 1, then you can send an LOI. Does that make sense?
Thank you!! Is it likely they’d consider an LOI from someone who is on hold when there are people sending LOIs who are on the waitlist? I’m viewing hold and waitlist as two different things - are they the same?

Thank you!! Is it likely they’d consider an LOI from someone who is on hold when there are people sending LOIs who are on the waitlist? I’m viewing hold and waitlist as two different things - are they the same?
hold and waitlist are the same

hold and waitlist are the same
I thought with waitlist it shows on your AMCAS? One of my friends is on two different waitlists and it shows that she’s been waitlisted at those schools on AMCAS - versus for me, it’s not showing :(

I thought with waitlist it shows on your AMCAS? One of my friends is on two different waitlists and it shows that she’s been waitlisted at those schools on AMCAS - versus for me, it’s not showing :(

You have to have an A for at least one school for CYMS tool to be active. If you are just on waitlists without any A, waitlists won’t show.

You have to have an A for at least one school for CYMS tool to be active. If you are just on waitlists without any A, waitlists won’t show.
Oooh!! Yes, she has been accepted to other schools so that makes sense. This whole time I thought hold was different than waitlist and they were still considering me for a waitlist position 😭 this gives me a tiny bit more hope 🥹

Do we know what the guest limit (how many people we can each bring) for the white coat ceremony is?

I had my meeting with the financial aid officer on Monday, and they said they'll be sending out scholarships and university loans beginning next week and not to worry if you aren't in the first batch. They're meeting this week to see which students are getting it first. I believe they said for scholarships, one of the soft criteria is if you qualified for the Pell Grant during undergrad

Just got an email saying I received the Dean’s scholarship. I didn’t qualify for the Pell Grant tho

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email saying I received the Dean’s scholarship. I didn’t qualify for the Pell Grant tho
Congrats! I guess they started releasing decisions early!

Good luck to everyone else on award notifications! Fingers crossed I get something but I've come to terms with I'm good enough to get accepted but not great enough to get discounts LOL

• Care
Hi everyone. I had my interview mid-late March. Do y’all think I should be hopeful in waiting to hear back for an A or even a waitlist or should I just move on considering how late in the cycle I got it?

Hi everyone. I had my interview mid-late March. Do y’all think I should be hopeful in waiting to hear back for an A or even a waitlist or should I just move on considering how late in the cycle I got it?
Similarly here, I interviewed end of March and at this point, I am not sure if there is hope this late. I would love to know as well if there is hope

Similarly here, I interviewed end of March and at this point, I am not sure if there is hope this late. I would love to know as well if there is hope
Interviewed in Jan and still waiting. You may be part of the same batch of decisions when they come out.

Idk if they’re releasing all UP decisions today but I just got put on the waitlist for the UP program.

Interviewed in Jan and still waiting. You may be part of the same batch of decisions when they come out.
Wow that is a pretty long wait since January I was thinking they have already finished through Feb thanks for sharing. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and hopefully we all hear good news after all!

Idk if they’re releasing all UP decisions today but I just got put on the waitlist for the UP program.
Likewise. Not the ideal outcome but I'm still cheerfully optimistic about it. If not, Hershey is a great program and I'll be happy there

• Love
wait it is a letter of intent or a letter of interest after April 30th?

Was a groupme created? One of the students hosting the second look day said they were in the midst of creating one for this class haha

Was a groupme created? One of the students hosting the second look day said they were in the midst of creating one for this class haha
Seconded. Can anyone PM details if they have it?

Reactions: 6 users
bittersweet because this was my first acceptance, but i withdrew my A here and i hope it goes to one of you wonderful people on the waitlist :)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Do any current students know if there are any camping retreats or social events before orientation for the M1s to meet each other?