2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do "hold" people get reevaluated during April?
based on historical threads (I looked at SDN for the past 3 cycles) it appears people start getting taken off the waitlist in early-mid May. They’re maybe those that are not reported on SDN earlier than May—but that’s the trend so far. I don’t know if those of us that are on hold are reviewed every time the admissions team meets or when it’s time to fill up the class after April 30.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a separate Match Day list for the UP program?
This is our Class of 2023 match list! 100% match again this year! Multiple students were in planned research years so they will be applying for next year's match :)

Attachments

• UP Match List 2023.2.png
    UP Match List 2023.2.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
omg! does this include the hold people?
From my best guess, this would only be for people who have been interviewed. Those who got at a pre-II are most likely gonna get rejections as it's toward the end of March, but you should double check with last year's thread before taking my word as gospel.

Thanks for the heads up! Did the school tell you this?
An adcom from the UP campus mentioned this to me during the UP sessions tonight as it's directly related to when people waiting to hear back from the UP campus hear back

From my best guess, this would only be for people who have been interviewed. Those who got at a pre-II are most likely gonna get rejections as it's toward the end of March, but you should double check with last year's thread before taking my word as gospel.
sorry i meant people who are waitlisted after interviewed "on committee hold"

An adcom from the UP campus mentioned this to me during the UP sessions tonight as it's directly related to when people waiting to hear back from the UP campus hear back

Gotcha that makes sense! I wonder if it’s the same for the Hershey track.

Gotcha that makes sense! I wonder if it’s the same for the Hershey track.
You have to already be accepted to Hershey before you can be considered for the UP.

Since I haven’t heard back from UP but am accepted to Hershey, I asked when I could hear back. The adcom mentioned that it wouldn’t be for a few more weeks as they need to wait to see who is accepted to Hershey, interview them for UP, and then decide who gets the few remaining seats. The UP decision releases are super unpredictable as their cycle runs longer. However, PSU Hershey’s release dates are a lot more predictable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed mid-January - has anyone else from January interviews received a decision yet?
I interviewed January 16th and have not heard a thing yet. I am surprised to see other people got the alternate list who interviewed at approximately the same time and I have heard nothing.

I interviewed January 16th and have not heard a thing yet. I am surprised to see other people got the alternate list who interviewed at approximately the same time and I have heard nothing.
interviewed 12/20, hold in March...i would reach out

i interviewed mid-jan (a little before you) and got hold notification in early march

it seems like a lot of people were on hold. hopefully they send out some acceptance early april

I also interviewed close to that date so it's interesting that some have heard back and others haven't. No changes in the portal either.

Pre-II hold this morning. Y’all I submitted my secondary in JULY and this is the first peep I’ve heard from them 😭 This process is so chaotic

Pre-II hold this morning. Y’all I submitted my secondary in JULY and this is the first peep I’ve heard from them 😭 This process is so chaotic
oh god, and they keep getting away with it too smh

Pre-II hold this morning. Y’all I submitted my secondary in JULY and this is the first peep I’ve heard from them This process is so chaotic

and here i was thinking my hold from oct was a silent R at this point. literally wtf. anyone know (w/ relative certainty) how long they interview until?

and here i was thinking my hold from oct was a silent R at this point. literally wtf. anyone know (w/ relative certainty) how long they interview until?
They are interviewing until 3/31, confirmed, admissions committee meets every other week I believe

When is the next round of decisions expected to go out?

When is the next round of decisions expected to go out?

Last yr it was the first week of April. Hoping to hear back then as someone who interviewed late Feb but this week would be pleasant surprise too

:) i feel like Penn state is slower than other schools. apparently, 25/70 get off the waitlist...is this what the latest msar data say?
Did they tell you anything as far as a timeline for hearing back from the waitlist or even what your rank is? I really hope you hear good news soon, it's hard to plan and move to Hershey especially if out of state on short notice. I am out of state and have my interview this coming Wednesday so I hope to hear back enough to give me time to move if accepted.

Does anyone know if we need to fill out the FAFSA if we are interviewing soon? I saw their deadline was Feb so I wonder if it makes a difference that late in the game?

Did anyone get a confirmation for second look day? I submitted both surveys but did not receive any form of confirmation- not sure if we are supposed to :/

I can't remember some things from my interview- are lectures mandatory here? is it true pass/fail or is there internal ranking?

Last edited:
Did anyone get a confirmation for second look day? I submitted both surveys but did not receive any form of confirmation- not sure if we are supposed to :/
Hey, PM me and I will forward you along to the admissions chairs and make sure that you get that info :)

I can't remember some things from my interview- are lectures mandatory here? is it true pass/fail or is there internal ranking?
Lectures are not mandatory for the most part. Some are but most you can watch at home as they are recorded. Small group (PBL) learning is mandatory, as well as anatomy lab.

True p/f with NO internal ranking - no secret ranking at the end of your journey/no rankings put in PD letters.

@psucowgirl Do you know when financial aid packages and scholarships are distributed?

Edit: FA Package just came in. What about scholarships because I'm on the fence big time about PSU looking at my COA lol

Last edited:
@psucowgirl Do you know when financial aid packages and scholarships are distributed?

Edit: FA Package just came in. What about scholarships because I'm on the fence big time about PSU looking at my COA lol
Received my FA as well. Did anyone get any scholarship $ or was that not released yet ?

Received my FA as well. Did anyone get any scholarship $ or was that not released yet ?
^ Are we supposed to apply for scholarships or are we automatically considered? Also - are scholarship notifications separate because I read online that 66% receive non-service-based scholarships or something...?
I sent an email just now to the Office of Student Affairs asking for clarification because PSCOM becomes a tough sell with how much they want me to take in loans.

Someone emailed me back! Thank you anyway :)

Do you mind sharing what they wrote in the confirmation letter? Or is it just assumed that after you fill out the surveys, you arrive on campus and follow the itinerary?

Do you mind sharing what they wrote in the confirmation letter? Or is it just assumed that after you fill out the surveys, you arrive on campus and follow the itinerary?
I emailed asking if I should have received confirmation. They basically said "your good- see you Saturday". I think it's assumed you can just go if the surveys are complete.

I sent an email just now to the Office of Student Affairs asking for clarification because PSCOM becomes a tough sell with how much they want me to take in loans.
Please let us know what they say ! Need to figure out if I have to start exploring my other options. COA was daunting ....

Lectures are not mandatory for the most part. Some are but most you can watch at home as they are recorded. Small group (PBL) learning is mandatory, as well as anatomy lab.

True p/f with NO internal ranking - no secret ranking at the end of your journey/no rankings put in PD letters.
How do they have Aoa if they are true p/f?

Does Pass/Fail extend into clinical years as well or is it just preclinicals?

Does Pass/Fail extend into clinical years as well or is it just preclinicals?
They're discussing implementing it but I believe it's Honors/pass/fail for rotations. you can 100% opt for honors for rotations you want to match into e.g. electives

• Love
They're discussing implementing it but I believe it's Honors/pass/fail for rotations. you can 100% opt for honors for rotations you want to match into e.g. electives
The genuinely sounds like the best setup! Thanks!

Just received the A!! Interviewed Jan 25!!

Does anyone know if they will be offering merit based scholarships?