2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @FarmHand for sharing this year's essay questions!

2022-2023 UTMB Secondary Essay Prompts (***substantially changed from last year's questions)
Choose 3 of the 7 prompts to respond to (300 word maximum for each)

1. Describe a situation where you have sought to enrich and/or improve the life of another individual.

2. Describe a time you navigated a challenging circumstance. How will this experience help you succeed in medical school or as a physician?

3. John Sealy School of Medicine values inclusion and advocacy. Describe a time when you advocated for someone whose social identity (e.g., race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, ability status, etc.) differed from yours. Explain the situation and why advocacy was necessary.

4. Describe a time you were wrong. Why were you wrong? How did you respond?

5. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment.

6. What attributes do you look for in your physician(s)? Which of these attributes do you need to develop? How will you develop them?

7. John Sealy School of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch serves patients throughout Texas, focusing on Galveston County and the Gulf Coast Region. Are there particular characteristics of our school and/or the Galveston area in terms of location, history, or other attributes which make you especially interested in matriculating here?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are the secondary prompts @wysdoc

Choose 3 of the 7 prompts to respond to (300 word maximum for each)

1. Describe a situation where you have sought to enrich and/or improve the life of another individual.
2. Describe a time you navigated a challenging circumstance. How will this experience help you succeed in medical school or as a physician?
3. John Sealy School of Medicine values inclusion and advocacy. Describe a time when you advocated for someone whose social identity (e.g., race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, ability status, etc.) differed from yours. Explain the situation and why advocacy was necessary.
4. Describe a time you were wrong. Why were you wrong? How did you respond?
5. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment.
6. What attributes do you look for in your physician(s)? Which of these attributes do you need to develop? How will you develop them?
7. John Sealy School of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch serves patients throughout Texas, focusing on Galveston County and the Gulf Coast Region. Are there particular characteristics of our school and/or the Galveston area in terms of location, history, or other attributes which make you especially interested in matriculating here?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These are quite common essays and can be reused for the rest of your life.

For my TMDSAS app, I included 3 faculty letters from undergrad and 1 PI letter from my research gap year (not a committee packet). Where do I select which letters UTMB should view? Because they only want three letters and I used all four in my TMDSAS app. What complicates things is that I already submitted my application this morning lol

Source

For my TMDSAS app, I included 3 faculty letters from undergrad and 1 PI letter from my research gap year (not a committee packet). Where do I select which letters UTMB should view? Because they only want three letters and I used all four in my TMDSAS app. What complicates things is that I already submitted my application this morning lol

Source
The TMDSAS app is unlike the AMCAS app in this respect.
In TMDSAS all your letters go to all your schools; you don't have to select and assign the letters as you do in the AMCAS app.
Don't worry, the TX schools won't criticize you for sending the wrong number of letters.

Reactions: 1 users
In TMDSAS all your letters go to all your schools; you don't have to select and assign the letters as you do in the AMCAS app.
Don't worry, the TX schools won't criticize you for sending the wrong number of letters.
Thank you for your expertise!

I was wondering about 4 letters. I thought TMDSAS allowed only 3?

Submitted last week. Anyone complete yet and/or received II?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like it's way too early for IIs to be sent out. Probably around later July is when to expect the first wave.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like it's way to early for IIs to be sent out. Probably around later July is when to expect the first wave.
You got it right - I just put up a post about this recently over here: #65

Keep on working on your secondary applications as they come in, do the CASPer + Duet tests, and things will happen starting in July and August.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My primary transmitted on 5/24 but I still haven't received a secondary from UTMB. Anyone else still waiting to get one?

UTMB marked my app as complete and moved to the admissions committee, but I have not taken CASPer yet. Their initial email to me stated that it would only be moved to the committee once they had my "MCAT and CASPer scores submitted" yet in the portal i dont see CASPer as a requirement... are they making it so they review applications prior to needing to see casper score?

UTMB marked my app as complete and moved to the admissions committee, but I have not taken CASPer yet. Their initial email to me stated that it would only be moved to the committee once they had my "MCAT and CASPer scores submitted" yet in the portal i dont see CASPer as a requirement... are they making it so they review applications prior to needing to see casper score?
They might start reading your app now, since you have most of it in. They had said they want to see the CASPer before inviting for interviews, but they also have a new admissions director so who knows? Be happy they’re looking at it!

Reactions: 1 users

Did you receive the confirmation email when you submitted the secondary? Mine said this
"We are pleased to receive your supplemental application. Thank you for your interest in the John Sealy School of Medicine (JSSOM). When we have received your MCAT and CASPer score, your application will be forwarded to the Admission Committee for review."
I would assume that it might be under initial review, but it probably won't go to the adcoms until your CASPer score is in

They might start reading your app now, since you have most of it in. They had said they want to see the CASPer before inviting for interviews, but they also have a new admissions director so who knows? Be happy they’re looking at it!
Wouldnt be surprised they bypass CASPer result requirement for high stat students as long as they are registered to take it.

I always thought they added this to give more leeway to the students and it also became more popular during covid since it could be taken online.

Did you receive the confirmation email when you submitted the secondary? Mine said this
"We are pleased to receive your supplemental application. Thank you for your interest in the John Sealy School of Medicine (JSSOM). When we have received your MCAT and CASPer score, your application will be forwarded to the Admission Committee for review."
I would assume that it might be under initial review, but it probably won't go to the adcoms until your CASPer score is in
I received the same confirmation email and then shortly after received another email saying “Your application is complete and will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review.”

completely theoretical, but could be that schools are just going to invite you to interview first and see if your Casper score has any weight. rocked the interview and you’re personable? Casper percentile score doesn’t matter

TTUHSC also marks app as complete without Casper but just needs Casper prior to early January

I submitted the secondary on Monday, but it says my application is still incomplete. The MCAT score is available and I asked Altus to deliver to UTMB as well (status on Altus says results delivered) but my application is still incomplete. Not sure what's happening. Tell me everything's going to be okay :eek:

I submitted the secondary on Monday, but it says my application is still incomplete. The MCAT score is available and I asked Altus to deliver to UTMB as well (status on Altus says results delivered) but my application is still incomplete. Not sure what's happening. Tell me everything's going to be okay :eek:
Marking components received is not a totally automated process. Please don't let yourself be anxious when you have done your part.

Same problem on my end(completed everything I needed, but still marked as incomplete :/) for this school and a few others. Feels bad man 😞

• Care
Marking components received is not a totally automated process. Please don't let yourself be anxious when you have done your part.
Thank you for the comforting words, Sir! I have one other question. I added four evaluators but have received only three and I don't really expect the fourth one to submit. Will that in anyway hold up the application? I see it in the UTMB portal but without a date on it.

Thank you for the comforting words, Sir! I have one other question. I added four evaluators but have received only three and I don't really expect the fourth one to submit. Will that in anyway hold up the application? I see it in the UTMB portal but without a date on it.
Hi @DanV
Take a look at the post I made about letters of Evaluation for TMDSAS over here: #97

and the answer to a similar question by another TMDSAS applicant here #89

The short answer is: if you no longer expect a letter to arrive from your #4 writer, message TMDSAS to let them know and they can remove his name. But first check the status of your letters on the TMDSAS portal and see if he has by chance sent it in, because once a letter has been sent, you can't "un-send" it.

My primary transmitted on 5/27 and I haven't yet received a secondary from UTMB. Is this normal?

Hi @DanV
Take a look at the post I made about letters of Evaluation for TMDSAS over here: #97

and the answer to a similar question by another TMDSAS applicant here #89

The short answer is: if you no longer expect a letter to arrive from your #4 writer, message TMDSAS to let them know and they can remove his name. But first check the status of your letters on the TMDSAS portal and see if he has by chance sent it in, because once a letter has been sent, you can't "un-send" it.
That makes sense, but do you know if not having the 4th letter on file will be a reason for marking the application as incomplete? I have three letters already sent in and the status says received, but the application is incomplete. My thinking is that the 4th letter is holding up the process.

Thanks for linking the video and the other post. I listened to the video and it was informative, but I did not see a similar question.

I received the same email on 5/21, about a week before my casper was marked completed/delivered in my casper portal. I think what others have mentioned in the thread is probably the case.

That makes sense, but do you know if not having the 4th letter on file will be a reason for marking the application as incomplete? I have three letters already sent in and the status says received, but the application is incomplete. My thinking is that the 4th letter is holding up the process.

Thanks for linking the video and the other post. I listened to the video and it was informative, but I did not see a similar question.
If you feel writer # 4 will not be sending a letter, message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them to remove his name.
Then schools will only expect 3 letters and will not mark you incomplete.

If you feel writer # 4 will not be sending a letter, message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them to remove his name.
Then schools will only expect 3 letters and will not mark you incomplete.
Perfect. I just emailed TMDSAS. Thank you so much for your guidance! Much appreciated.

I just received my secondary today, transmitted 05/24. Link isn't sending me a password reset. I dunno

Would it be in my best interest to choose prompt 7? I have pretty solid responses to three of the other prompts, but none of them directly relate to why I want to go to UTMB. What do y'all think?

Would it be in my best interest to choose prompt 7? I have pretty solid responses to three of the other prompts, but none of them directly relate to why I want to go to UTMB. What do y'all think?
If you have some good points for why UTMB, let them hear it!

I did because one of my mentors went there for PA school so she was able to give me really good examples to use. Otherwise, unless you have a great connection to Galveston, I think you could get more use out of a different prompt

Would answering prompt #5 "5. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment. (300 words)" with an excerpt about curiosity in my clinical position, would that be considered the "academic environment". Reading back on the prompt has made me question whether or not this would qualify.

Would answering prompt #5 "5. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment. (300 words)" with an excerpt about curiosity in my clinical position, would that be considered the "academic environment". Reading back on the prompt has made me question whether or not this would qualify.
I don't think that is academic. You should be good.

Any current students or incoming MS1s have a casper score in the 1st quratile?.... I feel like I put so much effort into my secondaries only to be dismissed because of my casper score.... I know for a fact Texas Tech El Paso is only using casper for research purposes...wonder if UTMB is doing the same.

I know it's not necessary but is anyone considering doing all 7 prompts? Anyone think its frowned upon?

I submitted my secondary on 6/26 and received an email last night (6/30) that said my application was complete and was forwarded to the ADCOM.

Important Note: I don't have my LOR Packet submitted yet so if you're waiting to submit your secondary until your LOR is in DON'T. Just submit when you're done.

I submitted my secondary on 6/24, but I just realized that the adcom doesn't review applications without a casper score? I'm taking the test tomorrow, just so I'm clear did I just lose a months advantage b/c of neglecting casper?

It doesn't take them a month to grade and transmit it (took about two weeks for me). You may have lost a few weeks but your application will still be complete by the end of July.

It doesn't take them a month to grade and transmit it (took about two weeks for me). You may have lost a few weeks but your application will still be complete by the end of July.
~3 weeks for scores to transmit puts me at 7/28. I blame myself, but I am quite jaded.

My application status still says incomplete. They have my Secondary, Fee Paid, MCAT score, Letters of Rec and CASPR. Does anyone know why it would still say incomplete?

My application status still says incomplete. They have my Secondary, Fee Paid, MCAT score, Letters of Rec and CASPR. Does anyone know why it would still say incomplete?

It should list individual items on the application status page. Are one of those listed as incomplete?

It should list individual items on the application status page. Are one of those listed as incomplete?
nope they all say complete, only the application is incomplete. Guess I will just reach out to them. Thanks!