2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know there's tons of posts like this on here but would love for anyone's insight to my personal situation. I had 2 II, one at UTMB (9/10) and one at UTMcGovern (10/1). From what I understand, the pre-matches for both of those schools for II that early have already gone out and I haven't received a pre-match. No other IS or OOS II. Should I just start preparing for my next application?
Wait till after the match before you throw in the towel. I believe most people get their A on match day

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know there's tons of posts like this on here but would love for anyone's insight to my personal situation. I had 2 II, one at UTMB (9/10) and one at UTMcGovern (10/1). From what I understand, the pre-matches for both of those schools for II that early have already gone out and I haven't received a pre-match. No other IS or OOS II. Should I just start preparing for my next application?
I mean you should always have a contingency plan just in case you don't get in this year. Keep improving your app if you can.
However, it's not too late to get an invite from other schools. Some people interview as late as Jan and Feb , so it's not over yet. Also, you could match on match day like most people. Pre-matches are not as common as they seem from what I understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that true even for UTMB? I thought UTMB was extremely pre-match heavy?
They usually are, but also someone who has been offered a UTMB pre-match might also have other offers they rank higher, leaving spots to be filled in the Match Day process.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm surprised but also not surprised. Two II is still very good! I'm sure more will come your way especially with your stats.

My girlfriend had a 3.9x and a 517. She ended up with 7 ii. 5 of them were December or later. 2 of them she got in October and November.
That's a crazy flurry, I bet that felt good! Do you know when she was complete?

II Received! Complete 10/22, Texas resident. 3.3 GPA with strong upward trend. I was given the option for 3 interview dates in early Jan 2022

Reactions: 9 users
I know it seems like a long long wait for any interviews or news, but the stats from 2020 are that of all med school applicants:

8.5 % get a single interview and a single acceptance
11.5 % get multiple interviews and a single acceptance
22% get multiple interviews and multiple acceptances
leaving about 58% with no acceptances (number of interviews for those 0 or more)
Are there numbers for that 58% being broken down by those who didn't receive an interview, to those receiving 1 or more interviews and not an acceptance?

Is there a Facebook group for accepted applicants this cycle for UTMB?

II Received! Complete 10/22, Texas resident. 3.3 GPA with strong upward trend. I was given the option for 3 interview dates in early Jan 2022
mind sharing your MCAT score? hoping to hear from them soon, similar GPA

Is there a Facebook group for accepted applicants this cycle for UTMB?
I can't find one ): Sad because it looks like last year's class got on that quickly.

Mostly unrelated – does anyone know if there's anything we have to do if we've pre-matched? I sent my TDCJ form in (but I think the page that tells you to send it within 2 weeks is actually for the matchday students, so I sent it relatively early?), but do I just chill until match day?

Got an invite to attend UTMB campus preview day but haven't received a pre-match, does anyone know if this invite is significant or just another way of a school gauging interest? Would love to hear thoughts on whether it's worth to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invite to attend UTMB campus preview day but haven't received a pre-match, does anyone know if this invite is significant or just another way of a school gauging interest? Would love to hear thoughts on whether it's worth to go.
Same here

+1

I got it too. Was told during interview day not to put much stock in it, so I won’t. Still gonna go.

+1! If anyone has any insight I'd also love to hear. I'll be attending the session on January 22nd and have also not received a pre-match. The dates offered were 12/18, 1/22, and 1/31 for anyone who was wondering!

Yeah curious if the Campus Preview day has any impact on the admissions process and getting a pre-match or match? The 1/31 date works best for me but I believe the pre-match period ends the last day of January so unsure if I need to do an earlier date

I went to campus preview day a few weeks ago! Lots of people in the group had not pre-matched. I really don't think is has bearing on admission. I really enjoyed my time there and would highly encourage you to go if you are genuinely interested in UTMB. You'll learn about the curriculum, hear from students, have some time to ask questions, and tour campus.

I attended it in October and just got another invitation 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Does it feel like they prematched less people this year than previous year's? Feels like we've had 2 waves of acceptances and then couple of ppl on Fridays while last year had a wave every Friday

Hey all! I was just wondering the time it takes for schools to decide to give you a prematch after interviewing. I interviewed UTMB 10/29, along with some other schools in October and November. Specifically for UTMB tho, if I haven’t received a prematch yet, should I not expect one anymore and just wait till match day?

Hey all! I was just wondering the time it takes for schools to decide to give you a prematch after interviewing. I interviewed UTMB 10/29, along with some other schools in October and November. Specifically for UTMB tho, if I haven’t received a prematch yet, should I not expect one anymore and just wait till match day?
You could get one between now and Jan 31 but it’s not a trickle of offers, generally a school will send out a few after a major committee meeting

Hey everyone, I was complete here in late June and haven't heard anything back yet. I have a LizzyM of 67, years of work/medical experience, great clinical and non clinical volunteering as well as shadowing and research. I feel like my story matched well with their mission. This is one of my top choices so Im pretty disappointed to have not heard anything back. Do I still have a chance here? I have continued my volunteering activities, research, work, and recently got a new job. Should I send an update?

Last edited:
  • Care
Hey everyone, I was complete here in late June and haven't heard anything back yet. I have a LizzyM of 67, years of work/medical experience, great clinical and non clinical volunteering as well as shadowing and research. I feel like my story matched well with their mission. I have only had one of II at a "higher ranked" school that I applied to later. This is one of my top choices so Im pretty disappointed to have not heard anything back. Do I still have a chance here? I have continued my volunteering activities, research, work, and recently got a new job. Should I send an update?
The answer is you still do have a chance. However, I imagine the number of interviews left is most likely small. I can not speak on what an update letter would do. But unless you have done anything new since your primary/secondary application, then it probably won't help.

I also have not received a II from utmb. At this point, personally I am considering getting one unlikely. However, my application and yours are most likely substantially different.

Does anyone know if UTMB sends another wave of prematches sometime this month historically?

Does anyone know if UTMB sends another wave of prematches sometime this month historically?
I looked at last years thread and they had prematches in early December then it went silent until January.

I looked at last years thread and they had prematches in early December then it went silent until January.

There hasn't been a wave since November 5th this year. Maybe they're taking longer because of the new interview format? Idk

Just an update I meant to post sooner:

I was pre-matched at UTMB on 12/2!!! I submitted my secondary on 9/10, was invited to interview on 9/20, interviewed on 11/12, and received the acceptance email on 12/2!

Overall TMDSAS GPA: 3.95
Overall TMDSAS BCPA GPA: 3.90
MCAT: 513 (128/128/128/129)
Race: White

This is my reapplication cycle, actually. I was waitlisted by TTUHSC Lubbock, UTMB, and McGovern last year.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi All! Did anyone that pre-matched receive a scholarship offer? I'm just trying to see if they are like other schools that give word of scholarship before match day. You can dm me if you don't feel comfortable answering publicly. Thanks!

Hi All! Did anyone that pre-matched receive a scholarship offer? I'm just trying to see if they are like other schools that give word of scholarship before match day. You can dm me if you don't feel comfortable answering publicly. Thanks!

UTMB, at least in past years, do give out scholarships pre match. If I recall correctly, it's not necessarily at time of acceptance like UTSW but can happen later.

have you prematched to UTMB?

Anyone had an II lately? My app was completed in late August, and I got II from all the other Texas Schools I applied to within a month or so, and I'm beginning to wonder if there is still hope for an interview.

Does anyone know where to send their post-interview update letter? DM me please.

I've been interviewed but haven't prematched. It is a good idea to send a LOI before match day?

Does anyone happen to know the timeline for hearing back after an interview as an OOS applicant?

Hey y'all, the last time someone posted that they got an interview invitation from UTMB was Nov 19 - hasn't anyone received one in December?

Post & share if you did, so I can keep things up to date-
Thanks, wysdoc

An invite for a campus preview day went out today for all those who've interviewed with the program. There are multiple days to attend January/February and is in person!

I believe there are only 2 interview dates left in Jan, according to the post-interview survey and what I saw on the scheduler

Last edited:
late update - complete 8/15, II 9/20, interviewed 10/20 and prematch 11/19

Reactions: 2 users
Is it me or has it been just really quiet in terms of prematches this year .-.