2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So when we're filling out the FASFA, do we have to include parent's info to be considered for any form of UTMB financial aid? I know they recommended including parent info on FASFA at the spring peek event....but is it only for the need-based scholarship? Even though I'm not using any of my parent's funds to go through medical school, putting their info on the FASFA could disqualify me from receiving aid. But I need some aid lol I need some help. Any advice?

So when we're filling out the FASFA, do we have to include parent's info to be considered for any form of UTMB financial aid? I know they recommended including parent info on FASFA at the spring peek event....but is it only for the need-based scholarship? Even though I'm not using any of my parent's funds to go through medical school, putting their info on the FASFA could disqualify me from receiving aid. But I need some aid lol I need some help. Any advice?
It won't disqualify you from receiving money via FAFSA. If you are a graduate school student you are automatically unassociated with their income in the eyes of the government (you are an "independent" student). It is just needed to include you in the pool of people that receive need-based financial aid from UTMB. Pretty sure UTMB only considers a fraction of your parents' income as being weighed in your need-based financial aid decision.

Someone please correct me enthusiastically if I said something wrong. It took my CPA SO, friends at the school, and a lot of google to come to these conclusions (which is why I put my parents' info on FAFSA)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted off the waitlist at UTMB! So excited to join the class!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted of the WL! Good luck to everyone else still waiting for good news. You got this! <3

Just accepted off of the WL this morning! I will be giving up my matched seat at Sam Houston. I have a 510 MCAT, 3.72 GPA, Masters in Medical Science from UNTHSC. I sent a thank you after interviewing and touring, a letter of intent after match day, and an additional letter of reference one month after match day from an anatomy course director at UNTHSC. I'm beyond excited! If anyone has an additional questions feel free to reach out, best of luck to everyone else still waiting!

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Just accepted off the WL this morning. Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Just accepted off of the WL this morning! I will be giving up my matched seat at Sam Houston. I have a 510 MCAT, 3.72 GPA, Masters in Medical Science from UNTHSC. I sent a thank you after interviewing and touring, a letter of intent after match day, and an additional letter of reference one month after match day from an anatomy course director at UNTHSC. I'm beyond excited! If anyone has an additional questions feel free to reach out, best of luck to everyone else still waiting!
Congrats! Can’t wait to see ya there :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted off the WL this morning. Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did they contact you? By phone or email? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t y’all check your email on your phones anyhow? Why is this a burning question for so many?
Yes, but of the country with an international phone number and a 7 hour difference and don't always get voicemails.

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did they contact you? By phone or email? Thank you!
They called me first at about 1:30 pm. A couple minutes following the phone call, they sent me a series of emails. Best of Luck!

Hello everyone! I just got taken off the waitlist and accepted as of this morning! I was wondering if there is any class groupme or discord for class of 2026?? Please let me know! Excited to get to know everyone!

• Love
Hello everyone! I just got taken off the waitlist and accepted as of this morning! I was wondering if there is any class groupme or discord for class of 2026?? Please let me know! Excited to get to know everyone!
Hi mango!! Yes there is a FB and a GroupMe! DM me for the Groupme link and the class facebook link should be sent to you via email from Bjorn!

• Care
Does anyone know what accepted students should be doing with regards to our vaccination record?? I never received an email about that and will be out of town for all of June, so I would like to have that taken care of as soon as possible. Thank you in advance!

Off the waitlist on Friday! Can someone add me to the groupme?

Congrats!!! was there a final day to give up your seat at SHSU?

Hey future classmates, can someone DM me the class groupme link? Lowkey got scared from the recent email glitch about matriculation requirements and I realized I should probably be in the groupchat lol