2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait I already accepted the offer through myStar, I thought it was needed for scholarship applications—that won’t affect my acceptances for other med schools right? I’m still waiting to hear back from schools on match day
Just for an official clarification I spoke to the office of admissions and accepting through mystar is not binding and does not exclude you from getting admitted to any other programs :) Best of luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody heard anything from UTMB about recruitment scholarships? I thought they were supposed to send them out a few weeks ago but haven’t seen anything

I ranked UTMB as my #1 over Long, so this is where I will be spending the next four years. Excited to meet my fellow peers. Wishing everyone well for March 4th.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard anything from UTMB about recruitment scholarships? I thought they were supposed to send them out a few weeks ago but haven’t seen anything
I got one a few weeks ago, but I ranked another school above UTMB. It was a decent scholarship, but honestly not as generous as scholarships I was offered from a few different UTs. Hopefully the scholarship goes to one of you!

I got one a few weeks ago, but I ranked another school above UTMB. It was a decent scholarship, but honestly not as generous as scholarships I was offered from a few different UTs. Hopefully the scholarship goes to one of you!
+1, got an offer a few weeks ago. The award was phrased in a way that gives you a minimum value, but you do not know the true amount until April. So I think they will probably send more depending on match results.

didn't match :(, is it possible to be accepted during rolling admissions?

• Care
I didn’t match, if I ranked utmb above a school I matched to, will I still be waitlisted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What made you pick it over long?
Sorry for the late response. I spent a lot of time thinking about it because my Uncle attended Long and as an UT alum I loved the proximity to Austin. I have a good amount of friends in San Antonio as well. However, there were two primary reasons I elected to rank UTMB higher. 1) I prefer the flexibility you have at UTMB given that all lectures are recorded and available to review. In addition I liked that the coursework is not as condensed as it is at Long. I don't think that I am personally a fan of schools condensing curriculum into a shorter time frame, but that is just my personal preference. 2) After spending four years as an undergraduate in Austin, I realized that I would benefit from being in a smaller city as opposed to a bigger one while in school. For me that just means less distractions, and it's easier to focus and dedicate to the task at hand.

Reactions: 1 users
Does everyone who does not match be moved to waitlist

Does anyone know when that all-important white coat ceremony is? Is it during orientation, or after?

Waitlisted @ 5:06pm CST earlier today, IS.

Matched here this morning! Is it too late to submit a FAFSA for financial aid offers?

Would any current students who got off the waitlist or anyone who is accepted be willing to read my Letter of Intent?

Matched here! I actually pre-matched here on January 27, but wanted to wait to post as I had it ranked as #3 of 6 on TMDSAS. Are there any students here that know if we get the whole week of Thanksgiving off or if it's only something like the Thursday and Friday?

Matched here! I actually pre-matched here on January 27, but wanted to wait to post as I had it ranked as #3 of 6 on TMDSAS. Are there any students here that know if we get the whole week of Thanksgiving off or if it's only something like the Thursday and Friday?
Current MS1, we got the entire week of Thanksgiving off :)

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this has been asked already but I can’t find it. Is accepting the offer on MyStar binding if we are on waitlists elsewhere?

Sorry if this has been asked already but I can’t find it. Is accepting the offer on MyStar binding if we are on waitlists elsewhere?
Not sure about UTMB or MyStar in particular, but if you get off the waitlist at another school before May 15th you can accept it. Regardless of your status at UTMB. I believe you get a few days to consider the offer and respond

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this is a dumb question but will it make much of a difference if I send a letter of intent to UTMB if I'm on their unranked waitlist?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but will it make much of a difference if I send a letter of intent to UTMB if I'm on their unranked waitlist?
I think it's better to send a LOI when WL is unranked; might help to stand out when everyone is technically "on the same level". btw, if you ranked UTMB #1 but matched to another school, make sure to mention that acceptance in your LOI.

What's in a name? I happen to like the tradition, and the original name of University of Texas, Medical Branch.

But this billion dollar donor and his family have believed in this school for more than 100 years, so here's the news about the renaming of the school in his honor. The naming ceremony takes place on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Sealy & Smith Foundation.
HISTORY | Sealy & Smith FoundationSealy & Smith Foundation

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.51.44 PM.png

Full press release here:
https://utmb.us/6jo

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What's in a name? I happen to like the tradition, and the original name of University of Texas, Medical Branch.

But this billion dollar donor and his family have believed in this school for more than 100 years, so here's the news about the renaming of the school in his honor.

View attachment 351624

Full press release here:
https://utmb.us/6jo
I had never heard about this foundation and all of the different funds they made available over a hundred years. Very appropriate.

Does anyone know when the 2022 white coat ceremony is?
For our class (Class of 2025) our White Coat Ceremony was July 31st, so if I had to guess yours will be the 30th or 31st of July (Saturday or Sunday). Essentially at the end of your first month of school.

Any MS4s moving out post-Match who would want to transfer an apartment lease? Preferably a studio/1br?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of anybody who received a recruitment scholarship?