2023-2024 West Virginia

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's very odd to me that they start pulling from the wait-list before finishing interviews for the cycle. What does that mean for people who haven't interviewed yet? We are basically interviewing to fill up the wait-list?

Not sure if this is how WV does it but I know some schools that rank all post-II candidates into a list then accept the top X percentile and WL the rest, then overtime lower the threshold so more are accepted. This might explain the sudden WL movement. If that’s how it works though you could interview later and score high and automatically reach the cutoff for an A rather than interviewing for a WL spot!

Med schools don’t need to accept a full class size of students until 03/15 so I doubt they are done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if this is how WV does it but I know some schools that rank all post-II candidates into a list then accept the top X percentile and WL the rest, then overtime lower the threshold so more are accepted. This might explain the sudden WL movement. If that’s how it works though you could interview later and score high and automatically reach the cutoff for an A rather than interviewing for a WL spot!

Med schools don’t need to accept a full class size of students until 03/15 so I doubt they are done.
This is what I think too. Adcom know how many interviews are left vs how many spots are left in the class. Plus they’ve already received and reviewed all the applications that they are going to consider for this year. I think I’ve read or been told ~50% of the class is off the WL and a lot of that will come after interviews conclude in Feb ‘24. Plus I think we have until some time in April to finalize our selections as a student for what med school to attend. There’s still a lot of time for things to play out!
 
What did they mention 😭 Specifics or just general stuff?
It’s general but still damn.
If you would like to reapply, potential ways to improve your application are listed below:

- Consider adding hours to your mission-based activities - paying special attention to patient care, education/leadership activities, research, and service. If your GPA or MCAT score are below WVU SoM’s average, consider retaking the MCAT or additional coursework.
 
It’s general but still damn.
If you would like to reapply, potential ways to improve your application are listed below:

- Consider adding hours to your mission-based activities - paying special attention to patient care, education/leadership activities, research, and service. If your GPA or MCAT score are below WVU SoM’s average, consider retaking the MCAT or additional coursework.
Yeah. Sounds like something everyone got. I’m sorry to hear that though. Wishing you the best for the rest of the cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an unmarked scholarship from the WVUSOM. Posting if anyone else wants reference of timing (since I hear these things are pretty rate..)

Value of scholarship is about <5% and does not come close to competing with an instate alternative.

OOS
Wait, they’re sending scholarships out rn? Like financial aid packages?
 
Random question … anyone know where we get our books or how to find out what books are required? I can’t find it on their bookstore website. I”d like to see the books to get an idea of what this first year is going to be like.
 
Random question … anyone know where we get our books or how to find out what books are required? I can’t find it on their bookstore website. I”d like to see the books to get an idea of what this first year is going to be like.
It may get released when the student portal opens in February?