2023-2024 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Saint Louis University Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer NO:
Please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)

2. Do you have a premedical advisor? If you answer yes:
How often do you meet?

2. Do you wish to include any comments to the Saint Louis University (SLU) School of Medicine Admissions Committee (e.g. why you chose to apply to SLU, other extenuating circumstances, etc.)? Please explain (1000 characters)

3.Tell us about a time when you were the other: (1000 characters)

4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? If you answer yes:
Please explain fully... (max 1,000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Saint Louis University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing the prompts here?
1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer yes:

How often do you meet?

2. Do you wish to include any comments to the Saint Louis University (SLU) School of Medicine Admissions Committee (e.g. why you chose to apply to SLU, other extenuating circumstances, etc.)? Please explain (1000 characters)

4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? If you answer yes:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
+1 OOS/international received
My pre-medical advisory committee would not send a letter until mid Aug, does sending three individual letters hurt my chance? The website says "If your school has a pre-medical advisory committee, a letter from the committee is sufficient, and you also have the option to supplement your committee letter with two additional letters of your choosing. If your school does not have a committee, please request three letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters should be from a college or university science professor. "

1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer yes:

How often do you meet?

Thanks a lot good luck to you!

Does anyone know what this prompt means and can give an example to help me understand? I have no idea what it means. This may be a silly question, but English is my second language :)

"Tell us about a time when you were the other: (1000 characters)."

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if any other classes will fit the general chemistry prerequisite? I had AP credit so only took one semester of general chemistry in college.

Does anyone know if any other classes will fit the general chemistry prerequisite? I had AP credit so only took one semester of general chemistry in college.
As far as I know, if you have taken upper-level chemistry classes, they should satisfy this requirement. I have a similar situation, and I never took any general chemistry in college, just one year of orgo and 8 credits AP chem from high school. I was able to use my one-semester biochemistry in place of one semester and had to take another level chemistry class. I emailed admissions to verify with them. From what I understood from them any class classified as chem on your college transcript (not the AP credits) counts for the 4 semesters required. I would email them to double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to put all courses that would count or just the minimum amount? For example, they require 4 humanities, should I only list 4 or 5+ if I have them?

Are we supposed to put all courses that would count or just the minimum amount? For example, they require 4 humanities, should I only list 4 or 5+ if I have them?
From a thread from last year: “I did in the middle, not everything, but a bit above the minimum.”

Does anyone know what this prompt means and can give an example to help me understand? I have no idea what it means. This may be a silly question, but English is my second language :)

"Tell us about a time when you were the other: (1000 characters)."
I think you can reword the question to "Tell us about a time when you were the minority."

Reactions: 1 users
For the course pre-requisite section, is anyone else having trouble entering AP credit courses? I know that SLU doesn't accept AP credit for biology and chemistry prerequisites. But, they said they would accept it for physics; however, I'm just not understanding how to input my AP Physics credit. The course was acknowledged by my undergrad on my transcript.

For the course pre-requisite section, is anyone else having trouble entering AP credit courses? I know that SLU doesn't accept AP credit for biology and chemistry prerequisites. But, they said they would accept it for physics; however, I'm just not understanding how to input my AP Physics credit. The course was acknowledged by my undergrad on my transcript.
I'm also having some difficulty filling out my prerequisite coursework. My university made all courses P/F during the Spring of 2020, but I'm not sure how to add these to the portal because they do not show up on the sidebar. Do I just mark it as "Future Registration" and just mention that it was taken P/F during COVID? Also, do we have to list all of our coursework or just the minimum required ones they list on the portal?

Do you think it may mean when you were "an outsider" or "not included" or, like mentioned above, "the minority"? Does anyone have different interpretations? I wish they made it more clear
yeah thats basically how I approached it , eh whatever. their fault if they dont like the answer its a wierd ass written question tbh

Per the portal: "If AP coursework is not appearing to drag and drop, you may click "future registration" for that course, list "AP" in front of the coursework and explain using the text box at the bottom of the page."

Is anyone else OOS still waiting on a secondary? Maybe bc my lower MCAT??

How often do you meet?

Interview Feedback:
#1 should be changed to: "1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer NO: Please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)"

Reactions: 1 users
#1 should be changed to: "1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer NO: Please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)"
I thought so too, I just went by my first volunteer's copy/paste of the prompts!

Anyone else having problems with the humanities/behavioral section requiring 4 courses? I have 12 credits in 3 courses to meet the requirement but keep getting an error message.

I still haven't received it... The only thing missing is one of my rec letters isn't in yet. Could that possibly explain why I haven't gotten the secondary yet? I got a secondary from another school, though, but nothing from SLU. Anyone else?

I still haven't received it... The only thing missing is one of my rec letters isn't in yet. Could that possibly explain why I haven't gotten the secondary yet? I got a secondary from another school, though, but nothing from SLU. Anyone else?
My committee letter has not been submitted yet, but I received a secondary. I think you are fine since they don't screen. They are just sending it out in waves.

My committee letter has not been submitted yet, but I received a secondary. I think you are fine since they don't screen. They are just sending it out in waves.
Yeah i'm just panicking and want to make sure there's nothing obvious I'm missing. Ill just be patient! Thanks!!

"Tell us about a time when you were the other"

Would it be appropriate to talk about growing up lower-income in a wealthier area where most of my friends were more financially well-off than my family? Or do they want a specific scenario? In that case I can think of something from high school but idk if they prefer us to talk about more recent experiences

"Tell us about a time when you were the other"

Would it be appropriate to talk about growing up lower-income in a wealthier area where most of my friends were more financially well-off than my family? Or do they want a specific scenario? In that case I can think of something from high school but idk if they prefer us to talk about more recent experiences
I don’t think there is a right or wrong situation as long as you felt you were “the other” and you are answering the prompt. what you mentioned sounds like a great example if you can explain it the best

I am thinking to structure mine around my experience as a refugee in a totally new country at the end of high school. Or possibly surrounding a college team scenario when I felt very less capable/ new to the sport

The issue is it is only 1,000 characters so my topics seem too broad and deep. Anyone feel free to share your thoughts/ examples

I don’t think there is a right or wrong situation as long as you felt you were “the other” and you are answering the prompt. what you mentioned sounds like a great example if you can explain it the best

I am thinking to structure mine around my experience as a refugee in a totally new country at the end of high school. Or possibly surrounding a college team scenario when I felt very less capable/ new to the sport

The issue is it is only 1,000 characters so my topics seem too broad and deep. Anyone feel free to share your thoughts/ examples
Yeah the character limit is rough for sure. I think your refugee story is great but you would need to be really concise with it unfortunately

For the advisor question, should I answer yes if my school has premed advisors but I never used them?

Is anyone still missing the secondary? And has anyone received them on saturday or sunday?

1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2023-2024 academic year? If you answer NO:

How often do you meet?

Interview Feedback:
I received the secondary link, but when I put in my AMCAS username, I never receive an email to set up my account. Is anyone having this same issue?

As far as I know, if you have taken upper-level chemistry classes, they should satisfy this requirement. I have a similar situation, and I never took any general chemistry in college, just one year of orgo and 8 credits AP chem from high school. I was able to use my one-semester biochemistry in place of one semester and had to take another level chemistry class. I emailed admissions to verify with them. From what I understood from them any class classified as chem on your college transcript (not the AP credits) counts for the 4 semesters required. I would email them to double check.
I emailed them, but they told me that my one semester of biochemistry without lab does not supplement my 1 semester of gen chem covered by AP chemistry. They asked if it had a lab component, and it didn't, so I guess that's it for me.

I emailed them, but they told me that my one semester of biochemistry without lab does not supplement my 1 semester of gen chem covered by AP chemistry. They asked if it had a lab component, and it didn't, so I guess that's it for me.
That sucks I am sorry. My biochem class had lab with it I did not mention that I apologize. I had to retake one semester of general chemistry after graduation because I did not know. My school did not have a premed track but I have heard that pre-med advisors stress that if you are premed do not use AP credit and take the class in college. SLU is my top choice but all other schools I am applying to does take AP. I guess it maybe worth it for you to take another chem class.

That sucks I am sorry. My biochem class had lab with it I did not mention that I apologize. I had to retake one semester of general chemistry after graduation because I did not know. My school did not have a premed track but I have heard that pre-med advisors stress that if you are premed do not use AP credit and take the class in college. SLU is my top choice but all other schools I am applying to does take AP. I guess it maybe worth it for you to take another chem class.
That's okay I appreciate you elaborating. Most other schools have abandoned this unusually strict requirement and are pretty generous as long as your school counted the credits. Idk why SLU is like this. It wasn't my top school anyway; I just wish I knew it was this strict before I paid the primary fee and wrote their essays lol

That's okay I appreciate you elaborating. Most other schools have abandoned this unusually strict requirement and are pretty generous as long as your school counted the credits. Idk why SLU is like this. It wasn't my top school anyway; I just wish I knew it was this strict before I paid the primary fee and wrote their essays lol
I do not blame you that is totally understandable. Good luck to you this cycle!

Hey everyone, for selecting courses -- can I move one Biochem section to the ochem section (since it says we're allowed one) and then a smaller, 2 credit organic chemistry lab course to the Chemistry section? Or does organic chemistry coursework only go under the organic chemistry section? I already have other organic chemistry coursework in the ochem section.

Hey everyone, for selecting courses -- can I move one Biochem section to the ochem section (since it says we're allowed one) and then a smaller, 2 credit organic chemistry lab course to the Chemistry section? Or does organic chemistry coursework only go under the organic chemistry section? I already have other organic chemistry coursework in the ochem section.
The 2 credit hour lab course for ochem should go under ochem because I'm assuming your other ochem classes are lecture only right? Each section must include the lab

The 2 credit hour lab course for ochem should go under ochem because I'm assuming your other ochem classes are lecture only right? Each section must include the lab

Oh, I see, thank you! Yup, you're right, they're lecture only.

I haven't seen this question brought up which means its probably a silly one, but is question 3 just a "why SLU" or is it actually if we have some other extenuating circumstances?

Actually they said it's okay and apologize for the confusion, and they understand that biochem with lab isn't offered at every college, so it will suffice for one of my gen chem semesters :D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users