2023-2024 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS A for regular MD! Good way to cap off this absolutely crazy week lol

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
NOOOO WAAAYYYYYY homeboy who started off in the barrio just got accepted!!!! It feels like a literal dream rn 😭😭😭

Interviewed 1/31!!!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NOOOO WAAAYYYYYY homeboy who started off in the barrio just got accepted!!!! It feels like a literal dream rn 😭😭😭

Interviewed 1/31!!!!
Let's gooo!!! Still remember when I was neurotically DMing you because I had no IIs, thanks for putting up with me lmao

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Let's gooo!!! Still remember when I was neurotically DMing you because I had no IIs lmao
LMAO, I didn't recognize your username at first!!! I was starting to wonder where "moist ointment" was hahahha - congrats on the A bro!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I just interviewed and realized that I misinterpreted one of the mmi prompts and answered the wrong question. I am pretty worried now.

I wouldn't worry too much about it! As long as you were able to give some meaningful insight and continue the conversation, I'm sure you did great. Plus, if you had really misinterpreted the question the interviewer might have re-asked it to clarify

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the A's today! My button has lived to see another week...

Any current Stanford med students here? Wanted more insight on the vibes of the class ✨ - Are the students collaborative or are they more cliquey? Does everyone know everyone given that the class size is relatively smaller than other med schools? Are there a lot of non-trads? How often do students get together for non-school related things?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have insight as to when the last day of decisions will be? Was unsure when early feb interviewees may expect to hear back (Stanford is rolling, right? sorry if this has been answered already!!)

Has anyone who has been waitlisted tried to send a letter of intent? If so, what did they respond with? Wondering if it’s worth it to yolo one hahah

anyone have insight on approx how many people have been admitted so far? (based on groupmes, fb groups, etc) ?

Button disappeared… this is going to be one crazy day

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
GOT THE CALL @2:30 EST
IS AN IS A!!!!
IM GOING HOMEEEEE
Completed:02/09/23
1709323954304.png

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Missed a call and got a voice mail from Stanford that said nothing but to call them back. Called back and it went to their voicemail

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Missed a call and got a voice mail from Stanford that said nothing but to call them back. Called back and it went to their voicemail
Finally reached them, got the A!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Got an acceptance call today at 11:30am PST :) super excited! Interviewed 09Feb2024

• Love
Hey! I was wondering if any current students had insight into:
1) Whether or not core-clerkships will remain P/F in the future
2) How difficult the clerkships are in general (e.g. are they particularly intense? difficult to succeed in due to subjectivity?)

Hi everyone!
Just doing a call-to-action to fill out the Recorded Video Interview survey to help future applicants. Since you have taken a Kira Talent interview (live or recorded), your input is especially desired.

Any current Stanford med students here? Wanted more insight on the vibes of the class ✨ - Are the students collaborative or are they more cliquey? Does everyone know everyone given that the class size is relatively smaller than other med schools? Are there a lot of non-trads? How often do students get together for non-school related things?
Current M1 in PSTP. Class is very collaborative and chill (but very driven), legit no drama that I know of (might not be tuned into tho lol). People def have their own friend groups but no one is exclusionary. We have a lot of non-trads in the class, almost everyone has done something for a few years before med school. From my pov, people are always getting together to do stuff both in and out of friend groups. Class vibe def shifts from year to year tho. No one is "gunning" in the traditional sense and everyone is always sharing class info/anki decks in groupschats.
anyone know how common it is to get off of the waitlist at stanford?
Varies based on the year, this past year I think around 5-10ish, but I think year before it was 0. Knew some people who declined WL spot too for personal reasons. But depends on yield and admission which vary a lot based on what they are looking for. Best of luck.
Hey! I was wondering if any current students had insight into:
1) Whether or not core-clerkships will remain P/F in the future
2) How difficult the clerkships are in general (e.g. are they particularly intense? difficult to succeed in due to subjectivity?)
1. As of now, they are planning on keeping them PF, they told us this in Jan. Strongly hinted at revisiting in like 5ish years. But my guess is they will keep in the same as long as students keep wanting it/match success remains successful. As for clerkship difficulty, not too much info to give here as just M1, but as long as its PF I have heard no complaints. Will say they do toss you into clinical things earlier than it may be suggested. I know its split into 2 year "preclin" and 2 year "clin" but first year you spend two days a week learning to talk and do physicals, and second year they toss you into the ED. Happy to answer any questions here or on DM.

• Love
  • Care
@themagictaco thanks for answering all these questions in depth!

I was wondering if you (or other current students) had any insight into how competitive the process of getting into Berg Scholars is? I feel like it would be ideal for my situation but the website makes it sound like there's v limited spots

@themagictaco thanks for answering all these questions in depth!

I was wondering if you (or other current students) had any insight into how competitive the process of getting into Berg Scholars is? I feel like it would be ideal for my situation but the website makes it sound like there's v limited spots
Based on what I know most people who apply get it, it's a very self-selective program.

Do we know when the first session / orientation starts? Is there a bootcamp or optional summer session or anything? I need to let my boss know lol

Do we know when the first session / orientation starts? Is there a bootcamp or optional summer session or anything? I need to let my boss know lol
if you go to the matriculation/enrollment info tab in ur portal, it has tentative dates for everything!

are we thinking Feb 16 interviewees might hear something back this week? 🤔

Currently on a cruise, the idea of hearing back this week brings mixed emotions 😅

Anyone know if Stanford matches aid from other schools at all? Any anecdotes would be helpful!

Varies based on the year, this past year I think around 5-10ish, but I think year before it was 0. Knew some people who declined WL spot too for personal reasons. But depends on yield and admission which vary a lot based on what they are looking for. Best of luck.
I highly, highly doubt this. No school has a yield of 90-95%, that is insane (Harvard has a yield of 70-75%). In 2020, the yield was 59%, which is more on average (152 acceptances for a class of 90; up to 62 students taken off the waitlist, only less if they accept more students than their class size initially. Not all schools do this, especially ones that expect higher yield - they accept initially only their class size).

• Wow
I highly, highly doubt this. No school has a yield of 90-95%, that is insane (Harvard has a yield of 70-75%). In 2020, the yield was 59%, which is more on average (152 acceptances for a class of 90; up to 62 students taken off the waitlist, only less if they accept more students than their class size initially. Not all schools do this, especially ones that expect higher yield - they accept initially only their class size).

FWIW, the slack channel for accepted students has 106 members currently (small number of members are med students). I mention this because from what I understand, there are still decisions left to give for Stanford, and also, there is a very high likelihood that not all acceptees have joined the slack channel yet. With this in mind, it makes sense that Stanford over-admits initially, thus causing little waitlist movement on the back end.

FWIW, the slack channel for accepted students has 106 members currently (small number of members are med students). I mention this because from what I understand, there are still decisions left to give for Stanford, and also, there is a very high likelihood that not all acceptees have joined the slack channel yet. With this in mind, it makes sense that Stanford over-admits initially, thus causing little waitlist movement on the back end.
Where can I find the Slack?

Where can I find the Slack?
Perfect example demonstrating that not all admits are in the slack yet haha

You can find the slack link in the "Discovery Days Guide" (pg. 7)

• Love
Do we know when we will be getting info about the financial aid packages?

Do we know when we will be getting info about the financial aid packages?
I hope soon, this is killing me. Although the dept of education is only transmitting info like mid-March so it could be up to end of April for us to get packages :(

I hope soon, this is killing me. Although the dept of education is only transmitting info like mid-March so it could be up to end of April for us to get packages :(
Take it with a grain of salt because this is info I got from another school with a similar FA process (Yale), but they're probably only using FAFSA to calculate federal loans. They said that their need-based grants are only dependent on CSS and their own application/documents.

Take it with a grain of salt because this is info I got from another school with a similar FA process (Yale), but they're probably only using FAFSA to calculate federal loans. They said that their need-based grants are only dependent on CSS and their own application/documents.
Yea fafsa only has student info for us this time around

I spoke with a current student who helped with admissions and he said there is a lot of waitlist movement for Stanford when I brought up that many pre med forums said there was virtually none. He said he was also a WL student that got in. I’m keeping the hope ✨ if anyone does know if they accept letters of interest post WL, please let me know, too.

I spoke with a current student who helped with admissions and he said there is a lot of waitlist movement for Stanford when I brought up that many pre med forums said there was virtually none. He said he was also a WL student that got in. I’m keeping the hope ✨ if anyone does know if they accept letters of interest post WL, please let me know, too.
That's good to hear. Don't they remove your update button when you get WL though? That would suggest to me they don't want to get any letters but correct me if I'm mistaken.

This is reassuring, though MSAR also says there's not much movement :(

I just contacted the financial aid office and was told that the financial aid packages will go out beginning mid-March!

• Love
  • Wow