2023-2024 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^ plus they only mentioned previously accepted select students would be honored and not select students under review. I feel like our interview questions were very teamwork focused and idk if that was a select specific thing or for all morsani interviews but to think that we’d just be merged to core is optimistic imo. After all, our interviewers were all from LHVN as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So if we had submitted our secondaries a few weeks later we’d be getting Core IIs now instead of getting screwed with now-worthless November SELECT IIs? 🤦
Impossible to say. Let's just hope for the best- it's out of our control now!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't, and I also haven't sent in my signed acknowledgement of acceptance. Do you know if submitting this to them first is required before the background check?
Yes - the school only wants to see a background check for a student who (at least at this point) intends to matriculate.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from somewhere that the interview was made up of 2 sessions, with the same 3 questions repeated in each session. I guess it can differ based on the core/select interview but can anyone confirm or deny this?

I heard from somewhere that the interview was made up of 2 sessions, with the same 3 questions repeated in each session. I guess it can differ based on the core/select interview but can anyone confirm or deny this?
This was my Select interview experience. Select doesn't exist anymore though so someone from Core should chime in as well.

IS Interviewed 1/11 Core. I had 2 sessions with 5 questions asked in the first one and 4 asked in the second - different questions.

Has anyone started the process for applying for financial aid? I was clicking around USF's fin aid website and getting seriously confused about what all we need to do to apply for institutional aid

Side note but if anyone is familiar with how the college works, I had questions about their scholarly concentrations program. I wasn’t sure if it was required or optional for core students. If required, I wonder if they have students work in groups together or if they’re left solely with a research mentor.

Just an applicant with II there so I’m not familiar with how research works in medical school. Also interested in less competitive specialties so I didn’t plan on making it a huge aspect of my residency app
It's optional for CORE students but 97% of students do join a concentration. I can't speak for all concentrations, but the majority of what the program does is just give research support and make it easier to find a good mentor.

There are also some expectations like publish at least one first author paper and present at the school's conference. For the other concentrations like the arts one I think you can do alternative activities other than publish papers, basically its very low stress and just helps you with connections, data analysis, etc...

They have a whole long lecture in the first semester describing everything in depth and they make it very clear that it is optional, but it can really only help you imo.

Interviewed in mid Dec and yet to receive a decision. Is anyone else in the same boat? Has anyone who interviewed in mid Dec gotten a decision back? TIA :)

IS Core A received in the mail today. Early Nov interview.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS CORE A received in the mail today :) 11/27 interview

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OOS Core A received in the mail today, dated Jan 9. Mid Nov interview. Can we just electronically send the signed forms to the email listed or do we actually have to send by mail?

OOS Core A received in the mail today, dated Jan 9. Mid Nov interview. Can we just electronically send the signed forms to the email listed or do we actually have to send by mail?
I think you have option to fax or scan to them

Anyone from SELECT heard anything? Starting to just count this school out.

Haven't heard anything post-interview. Extremely disappointed in how they have handled this whole situation... unless they give me an acceptance.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Haven't heard anything post-interview. Extremely disappointed in how they have handled this whole situation... unless they give me an acceptance.

LMAO MOOD all will be forgiven if I’m accepted

• Haha
I hate being pessimistic, but honestly, I've kind of written this school off. Really hoping I get an A elsewhere because if this is at all indicative of how they treat students I'm a little worried.

I hate being pessimistic, but honestly, I've kind of written this school off. Really hoping I get an A elsewhere because if this is at all indicative of how they treat students I'm a little worried.
I agree. I also was shuffled to SELECT despite choosing CORE on the secondary.

IS A! Finally! Interviewed on 11/03, so this wait has been quite grueling lol.

Does anyone know if there is a specific deadline that we need to send everything back by?

Did any other SELECT November interviewees just get the “SELECT to CORE Waitlist” email? Was this sent to all SELECT applicants or does it mean we were waitlisted if we got it? I haven’t received any waitlist letter in the mail.

OOS - is it worth sending a letter of interest at this point? any hope for getting an II?

Did any other SELECT November interviewees just get the “SELECT to CORE Waitlist” email? Was this sent to all SELECT applicants or does it mean we were waitlisted if we got it? I haven’t received any waitlist letter in the mail.

Also interviewed in November and received the email, no WL received in mail.

Last edited:
Received as well. Counting this as a waitlist.

+1 interviewed early Nov, no news in the mail yet

+1 in the same situation, hoping it means maybe we still have a chance of being accepted w/o going on the waitlist but who knows

On the select waitlist and got that email. I guess I’m on the core waitlist now, though I’ll admit I don’t fancy my chances. Doesn’t seem like there’s a chance of getting off of it.

Reactions: 1 users
On the select waitlist and got that email. I guess I’m on the core waitlist now, though I’ll admit I don’t fancy my chances. Doesn’t seem like there’s a chance of getting off of it.
Well at least they told you that you were on a waitlist lmao. Most of us haven't had any communication.

Well at least they told you that you were on a waitlist lmao. Most of us haven't had any communication.
yeah, i interviewed in september and was placed on the waitlist in october. I think I speak for a lot of people in expressing frustration for going through the entire application cycle (primary, secondary, interview) for a program that isn't even going to exist. They hyped the SELECT program up so much and then poof it's gone. not much the school could have done i suppose.

Reactions: 4 users
If there are any folks who are current students, would someone be able to speak to USF's connections with the Moffitt cancer center? I have a background in mathematics and a strong interest in cancer, so the Moffitt center's emphasis in combining these two is very interesting to me. Are there opportunities to perform research with Moffitt while a medical student at USF?

+1 in the same situation, hoping it means maybe we still have a chance of being accepted w/o going on the waitlist but who knows
I've found being cautiously hopeful like this is the best for my mental health. A very slight lean towards optimism. Also, I wonder if they're still going to hand out some hard Rs to the SELECT folks? Surely not just placing everyone on the Core WL?

Also got this email, no mail yet. Seems like everyone who didn’t get an official decision yet got shafted to core waitlists yet again . Honestly better than a rejection I guess, since I heard there’s lots of waitlist movement. But it’s so frustrating how they’re like surprise you’re on the waitlist now, no decisions made for you November December folks but here’s “an office notice” of a waitlist - were we even reviewed by the select committee if they weren’t my only other shot at med school I’d rank this school so so low but alas🧍‍

Lol yeah I got the email but I had never been told a decision before

Not feeling too optimistic about the SELECT to CORE waitlist email, especially since they haven't stopped sending out CORE IIs in the meantime.

If there are any folks who are current students, would someone be able to speak to USF's connections with the Moffitt cancer center? I have a background in mathematics and a strong interest in cancer, so the Moffitt center's emphasis in combining these two is very interesting to me. Are there opportunities to perform research with Moffitt while a medical student at USF?
I am a current student and USF has a good connection with Moffitt. We rotate there and it is fairly easy to get research there as a result. A lot of students in my class are currently doing research at Moffitt as well.

Is there any hope of getting an interview at this point, or should I write this school off of my list despite my matching stats and strong ties to the school?

thank you

Us January interviewees likely won’t have our decisions until late March 😭
Hopefully, next month for you guys.

I feel your pain. The rest of the schools I've interviewed at don't make their decisions until March. I'm quite literally in a holding pattern right now.