2025-2026 Illinois

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A question for current students:

I was wondering if you could share the contigencies on your UICOM acceptance. I put multiple planned courses for this semester in my application, but I only need 1 to graduate so I want to drop the others. This is BEFORE the drop deadline for my school, but the other courses were already on my transcript and AMCAS as planned courses. Now I want to drop one of them but I’m scared it will look bad. I was wondering if UIC has a contigency for your application to be dependent on completion of planned courses/activities.
Matriculation is based on meeting the requirements of the program, not on non-prerequisite planned courses. You will need to submit your final transcripts, which should include your completed UICOM required prerequisites and a conferred bachelor's degree, have your required vaccinations, have health insurance coverage, pass a 9-point drug screening, and pass a background check (UICOM did two when I went through, not sure if they still do two or just down to one).
 
Thanks for your help! Is there anything in particular you'd share about the interview day or advice? Do you recall how much of it was MMI style? I am grateful to have just scheduled an interview for 9/17.
Congratulations! Not quite sure what you mean by how much of it was MMI. The nature of MMI means it takes more time than the faculty interview and most of the MMIs I did took about an hr to an hr and a half. Other time is spent learning about the program and meeting with students. The week of the interview you’ll get your schedule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! Not quite sure what you mean by how much of it was MMI. The nature of MMI means it takes more time than the faculty interview and most of the MMIs I did took about an hr to an hr and a half. Other time is spent learning about the program and meeting with students. The week of the interview you’ll get your schedule.
Thanks so much! And yes, that's what I meant (timing wise) but didn't phrase it well -- thanks for your answer. Is there anything you did in particular to prepare for the MMI? There are obviously a lot of resources online but not sure if some are better than others.
 
Do you guys know if the admit.org acceptance rate also includes people that came off waitlist? Or does that number reflect a straight acceptance post ii
 
This school interviews a relatively small number of people compared to their class size, which would definitely raise the success rate of those who make it to the interview stage.
MSAR (which is school data, not crowdsourced or IA data-scraped projections) shows that : 6356 applied and
889 were interviewed
365 matriculated (85% in-state)
Yes, that is matriculated, not "accepted" please don't @ me. Some who are offered choose a different school.
 
According to admit.org the post ii acceptance rate is 88%. Does anyone know why this is so high?
Because they do not interview people unless they have a high desire to admit them. The interview is very low pressure and is much more of a vibe check than anything else. Some schools interview a lot of people and the interview becomes the most important part, UICOM heavily scrutinizes the primary and secondary before they invite you for an interview so if you get one it's because they actually want you to come to the school.
 
Do you guys know if the admit.org acceptance rate also includes people that came off waitlist? Or does that number reflect a straight acceptance post ii
It definitely includes people for the waitlist and people who get deferred. UICOM does not have a waitlist until May but they do put people on deferred decision starting in October so you might not get an A right after your interview.
 
Thanks so much! And yes, that's what I meant (timing wise) but didn't phrase it well -- thanks for your answer. Is there anything you did in particular to prepare for the MMI? There are obviously a lot of resources online but not sure if some are better than others.
Use some of the MMI question lists online and practice getting your answers down to 5 min or less (3min or less would be better in order to leave time for questions or conversation). Name of the game for MMI is not necessarily the right answer, but a well-crafted, succinct answer. I think SDN has some interview feedback (under resources) from UIC, and you can also practice any questions listed there. This advice goes for any MMI you may get, not just UIC. Other current students can chime in on their interview/MMI prep.
 
Use some of the MMI question lists online and practice getting your answers down to 5 min or less (3min or less would be better in order to leave time for questions or conversation). Name of the game for MMI is not necessarily the right answer, but a well-crafted, succinct answer. I think SDN has some interview feedback (under resources) from UIC, and you can also practice any questions listed there. This advice goes for any MMI you may get, not just UIC. Other current students can chime in on their interview/MMI prep.
Thank you! This is really helpful.
 
Thanks for your help! Is there anything in particular you'd share about the interview day or advice? Do you recall how much of it was MMI style? I am grateful to have just scheduled an interview for 9/17.
M2 here. When I interviewed in 2024 it was 7 rounds of 7 minute MMI stations + 30 minute faculty interview
 
Last edited:
According to admit.org the post ii acceptance rate is 88%. Does anyone know why this is so high?
They always advertise ~80% acceptance post interview. Like others have said, UICOM offers fewer interviews compared to other schools I.e, UICOM is especially selective with who gets an interview invite. So, if you get an II you do have a higher chance of acceptance compared to other schools. But again not everyone does get accepted. The ~80% post interview acceptance includes anyone who received an interview: EDP acceptance, direct acceptance, delayed decision acceptance, waitlist acceptance
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, thank you to the current med students helping out with this thread, you are greatly appreciated! Secondly, does UICOM have preferred IS ties to those from Chicago/greater surrounding area similar to SIU and its ties to central/southern illinois?
 
First off, thank you to the current med students helping out with this thread, you are greatly appreciated! Secondly, does UICOM have preferred IS ties to those from Chicago/greater surrounding area similar to SIU and its ties to central/southern illinois?
Nope. A Naperville candidate and an Effingham candidate are considered equally.
 
Last edited:
Do you guys think there have been very many II’s sent out so far? I have only seen a few people say they got one on this thread.
 
this might be a long shot but does anyone have any info about their PAP post bacc?— application process, stats, etc. I haven’t been able to find much online
 
this might be a long shot but does anyone have any info about their PAP post bacc?— application process, stats, etc. I haven’t been able to find much online
PAP application is the med school application. You would be chosen for the program through the traditional app process. The program is run through UICOM’s Urban Health Program and they can offer more info.

See link for more info: Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program (PAP) | College of Medicine | University of Illinois College of Medicine
 
this might be a long shot but does anyone have any info about their PAP post bacc?— application process, stats, etc. I haven’t been able to find much online
You get picked out of the regular applicant pool after you apply normally through AMCAS, its for students who the school is not sure will make it through the regular curriculum so they put them through a year of classes with a conditional acceptance if you pass them all, its a small program and if you are white or asian you have basically zero chance of getting picked
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone that interviewed get the post interview survey? Also what are thoughts on LOIs?
You can always send a LOI but I would wait until the first batch of decisions are sent and they mean nothing unless you have another MD A and even then they mean little. I sent one in December of my cycle cause I was desperate by then but I did have an MD A at an OOS public school and I am an in state student. I got an II in February from UICOM, no way of knowing if the LOI actually helped
 
Anyone that interviewed get the post interview survey? Also what are thoughts on LOIs?
I sent an LOI last year when I failed to get in and it didn't help me obviously lol, but they really do read everything so there's no way of knowing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Historically, UICOM will release a batch of decisions on Oct 15 and then more on their typical 3rd Friday. Things can always change this year, but that’s what’s happened the past several years. Best of luck to those waiting on a decision!
 
Last edited: