2025-2026 Kaiser Permanente (Tyson)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

5. If Applicable: Have you previously applied to medical school? If yes, please describe your accomplishments since you last applied that would promote your acceptance? (250 words)
for questions like these, if we are not a reapplicant, do we need to explicit write "I have not previously applied to medical school" in the answer box or something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2. Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine is dedicated to graduating courageous leaders who lead change through inquiry and innovation in medical education, the profession, and the healthcare system. How do your values align with this mission? (250 words)
Anyone feel like they pulled out all the stops with this question? "If you don't show the potential to revolutionize healthcare, we don't want you." At least they asked how our values align and don't expect us to pull off something like that before medical school.
 
Anyone feel like they pulled out all the stops with this question? "If you don't show the potential to revolutionize healthcare, we don't want you." At least they asked how our values align and don't expect us to pull off something like that before medical school.
This is a fairly common mission statement and question I fear.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a fairly common mission statement and question I fear.
I fear all these medical schools have fairly common missions...."To educate XYZ.... To Serve ABC.... Courageously/Revolutionarily/Stupendously"

Yeah, but Kaiser is emphasizing creating change within the medical education/system. Most don't. They ask about mission alignment, which is a bit open ended since most schools have about the same mission (underserved, creating change, etc). Kaiser in particular is focusing on creating leaders that will lead change in medicine. Emphasis on leaders.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Kaiser is still a good deal? According to their website, matricualants for fall 2026 (the applicants applying this cycle) will be the last class to receive free tuition. I am pretty sure they originally said fall 2025 was going to be the last cohort, but then they extended it. This sounds great, on the surface.

However, it looks like according to past posts on reddit and SDN, Kaiser used to offer a living stipend as well (40K per year value) to previous cohorts. On their website, it says students entering fall 2026 will need to cover their own cost of living. Pasadena is expensive. FURTHER, Kaiser is still not approved for Federal Student Aid (FSA), so you CANNOT receive federal loans to cover this 40K per year cost of living. Their website lists instiutional aid to help with cost of living for students with demonstrated financial need (not sure how they determine this? Do they do a CSS profile?). I also am unsure how many students will receive instiutional aid. I am in late 20's, independent, and pretty poor, but I am concerned if they use my parents info (they don't finacially support me), I will not receive any aid. They list private loans as an option to cover cost. This seems...bad? 160K total in private loans over 4 years? Won't the interest for private loans immediately start accruing, so this number will be even higher?

I am curious if anyone knows if Kaiser will be approved for FSA in the near future? Maybe in time for Fall 2027 cohort. I suspect they extended their free tuition another year because they were not approved for FSA. I can't imagine students choosing to attend this school if they had to pay for tuition and cost of living (100K+ per year, 400K+ total) with JUST private loans.

Any perspective from adcoms, current students, or people who are in the know would be great!
 
Does anyone know if Kaiser is still a good deal? According to their website, matricualants for fall 2026 (the applicants applying this cycle) will be the last class to receive free tuition. I am pretty sure they originally said fall 2025 was going to be the last cohort, but then they extended it. This sounds great, on the surface.

However, it looks like according to past posts on reddit and SDN, Kaiser used to offer a living stipend as well (40K per year value) to previous cohorts. On their website, it says students entering fall 2026 will need to cover their own cost of living. Pasadena is expensive. FURTHER, Kaiser is still not approved for Federal Student Aid (FSA), so you CANNOT receive federal loans to cover this 40K per year cost of living. Their website lists instiutional aid to help with cost of living for students with demonstrated financial need (not sure how they determine this? Do they do a CSS profile?). I also am unsure how many students will receive instiutional aid. I am in late 20's, independent, and pretty poor, but I am concerned if they use my parents info (they don't finacially support me), I will not receive any aid. They list private loans as an option to cover cost. This seems...bad? 160K total in private loans over 4 years? Won't the interest for private loans immediately start accruing, so this number will be even higher?

I am curious if anyone knows if Kaiser will be approved for FSA in the near future? Maybe in time for Fall 2027 cohort. I suspect they extended their free tuition another year because they were not approved for FSA. I can't imagine students choosing to attend this school if they had to pay for tuition and cost of living (100K+ per year, 400K+ total) with JUST private loans.

Any perspective from adcoms, current students, or people who are in the know would be great!
Wow I didn’t even consider this. If that’s the case I may withdraw my application…Are there any other schools where this is the case?
 
Wow I didn’t even consider this. If that’s the case I may withdraw my application…Are there any other schools where this is the case?
I don't believe you can get federal loans for AWSOM and they only offer free tuition but don't cover COA. Although the area definitely has a lower cost of living than Pasadena.
 
Before you panic and withdraw, read the website. Financial Aid/cost of attendance
Why would you think free tuition for all 4 years "isn't a good deal?"
Okay thanks. It looks like they offer grant aid for students with need.
If that’s weren’t the case, I wouldn’t be able to afford living expenses beyond tuition. I am ineligible for a lot of private loans, and I don’t have 40k (not even a fraction of that) to cover the cost of living.
 
Does anyone know if Kaiser is still a good deal? According to their website, matricualants for fall 2026 (the applicants applying this cycle) will be the last class to receive free tuition. I am pretty sure they originally said fall 2025 was going to be the last cohort, but then they extended it. This sounds great, on the surface.

However, it looks like according to past posts on reddit and SDN, Kaiser used to offer a living stipend as well (40K per year value) to previous cohorts. On their website, it says students entering fall 2026 will need to cover their own cost of living. Pasadena is expensive. FURTHER, Kaiser is still not approved for Federal Student Aid (FSA), so you CANNOT receive federal loans to cover this 40K per year cost of living. Their website lists instiutional aid to help with cost of living for students with demonstrated financial need (not sure how they determine this? Do they do a CSS profile?). I also am unsure how many students will receive instiutional aid. I am in late 20's, independent, and pretty poor, but I am concerned if they use my parents info (they don't finacially support me), I will not receive any aid. They list private loans as an option to cover cost. This seems...bad? 160K total in private loans over 4 years? Won't the interest for private loans immediately start accruing, so this number will be even higher?

I am curious if anyone knows if Kaiser will be approved for FSA in the near future? Maybe in time for Fall 2027 cohort. I suspect they extended their free tuition another year because they were not approved for FSA. I can't imagine students choosing to attend this school if they had to pay for tuition and cost of living (100K+ per year, 400K+ total) with JUST private loans.

Any perspective from adcoms, current students, or people who are in the know would be great!
Okay thanks. It looks like they offer grant aid for students with need.
If that’s weren’t the case, I wouldn’t be able to afford living expenses beyond tuition. I am ineligible for a lot of private loans, and I don’t have 40k (not even a fraction of that) to cover the cost of living.
If it is any help, I am 95% sure it said that same thing last year for the 2025 class. When I received my official post-acceptance financial aid information, I ended up qualifying for need-based living stipend (the aforementioned 40k/yr). My guess is that they put that out there to indicate that not *everyone* is able to get COA covered, however, they still do take into consideration your financial need
 
for those that have receive II's here: are you getting traction at other schools too? Or is this anyone's only II? I feel like KPSOM is a competitive school this cycle and in past cycles given their offer of free tuition (could be wrong) but I'm trying to see if people who get II's here generally do well in the applications process
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those that have receive II's here: are you getting traction at other schools too? Or is this anyone's only II? I feel like KPSOM is a competitive school this cycle and in past cycles given their offer of free tuition (could be wrong) but I'm trying to see if people who get II's here generally do well in the applications process
check admit. post II A rate is really low here so I hope people have others.
 
for those that have receive II's here: are you getting traction at other schools too? Or is this anyone's only II? I feel like KPSOM is a competitive school this cycle and in past cycles given their offer of free tuition (could be wrong) but I'm trying to see if people who get II's here generally do well in the applications process
Received an II here back in mid Aug currently sitting at 10 II total
 
for those that have receive II's here: are you getting traction at other schools too? Or is this anyone's only II? I feel like KPSOM is a competitive school this cycle and in past cycles given their offer of free tuition (could be wrong) but I'm trying to see if people who get II's here generally do well in the applications process
Got an invite in August and have a total of 4 II currently (admitted to one!)
 
Admit.org says there were 124 admits last cycle with a 17% post interview acceptance rate. Does anyone know is this accurate? Did 74 people really refuse the offer of free tuition?