2025-2026 UTSW

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t normally freak out but I’m kinda freaking out for UTSW. Any late interview success stories pls… still waiting to hear back. Also at what point is not early anymore
 
I don’t normally freak out but I’m kinda freaking out for UTSW. Any late interview success stories pls… still waiting to hear back. Also at what point is not early anymore
Freak out in December if no news
But really, don’t freak out at all. It’s a very competitive process applying to med school where lots of people who are not at all accustomed to failing, will nonetheless fail.
 
Has anyone interviewed for the MSTP by any chance? I have an interview coming up and just wanted to hear about others' experiences.
 
Hi everyone, and congrats to those who have already received an II! I’ve been noticing that some applicants with similar LM scores—and even with much later completion dates—are getting interview invites, which has me a little anxious as I have yet to hear anything. I know this is ultimately all speculation, but I’m trying to understand what factors might be at play.


For context, I’m an ORM and submitted my application in mid-June, but my CASPer scores weren’t sent until about a month later in mid-July. Does anyone know if that timing could make a difference? Is there any chance that an application might be delayed or "forgotten" about if CASPer scores come in later? Also, does being an ORM play any role?


Tagging @wysdoc for some additional insight—thank you!
 
It really could be none of factors you mentioned, UTSW usually starts out interviewing the high stat and of course earlier applicants.
Your activities and essays matter.
They usually send out their last interview invitations at the end of November or 1st week of December so there’s still some time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone who has gotten this far in the process!

Current MS2 at UTSW. Happy to answer any questions, here or via DM.

A quick word on the pre-clerkship experience as you interview and consider your options: there are real issues with how the curriculum is structured. Administration says they’re open to feedback, but in reality, the changes tend to be surface-level. Nothing meaningful has been done to address the intense stress and burnout students face. Wellness efforts mostly come in the form of mandatory seminars, meditation apps, or five-minute dog petting breaks that feel more performative than helpful.

I expected they might rework things over the summer, like learning activites for IM blocks. Instead, they kept things mostly the same, but added more CBLs in GI - supposedly based on student feedback, which doesn’t reflect anything I’ve actually heard from classmates. Most of us want fewer “active learning” sessions, not more. Maybe the handful of students who liase with the faculty the most would want this, but not the majority.

The first semester is overwhelming due to poor design. This is known by the administration. The problem isn’t the content. It’s the volume of required activities that leave little time for actual studying. In-person meetings with no clear purpose, poor use of time (meetings that could be emails), threats of "professionalism violations," (rest assured professionalism is a one-way street here), among many other issues, make it much, much harder than it needs to be. I remember being told to schedule our joy. One example of this was giving ourselves 1 hour a week on the treadmill.... to do Anki....

Things do improve a bit in the second semester, but all the extra noise still makes it difficult to focus on academics, let alone research, volunteering, or anything else outside of class. We'll see how our 3rd semester goes.

UTSW follows a rigid, old-school model that doesn’t leave much room for balance or change. The level of burnout is obvious among students, faculty, and even admin. The stereotype that “UTSW students look like zombies” exists for a reason, and it’s really disappointing given how smart and capable my classmates are. It's a culture issue here.

If you have outside responsibilities or interests you hope to maintain during med school, this place probably isn't the right fit. It’s a one-size-fits-all system, and it’s not designed to support students who don’t want to give everything up for school.

Also worth noting: UTSW doesn’t use NBME exams, so our workload is both heavier compared to NBME schools and less prepatory for boards and clinical practice. Their attempts to justify this are... entertaining to put it lightly. Even the administration cannot articulate how this system benefits us.

Thiis is just one perspective to consider while finalizing your list, but if I could go back, I’d take a much longer look at similar/lower-ranked programs that use NBME exams and actually prioritize student well-being. If you want to go for the most competitive specialties here, you'll have more resources/clout, but you'll also be competing with more (really bright) students. Anything not super competitive, and the burnout and toxic culture could very well outweigh any benefits. Not to mention not being able to fully train in certain specialties due to the... current climate in Texas that UTSW stays silent about...

No idea how clinical rotations are, but my guess is similar to similar health systems in major metro areas (T1 ER, all the specialties, 'rare' cases), but they did just tell us that 70% of our clinical grades come from the subjective evals of our preceptors (known to be prone to biases like racism/sexism/ableism/classism/etc.) so that's fun. Only 30% from the shelf exam. Actually, I think they said 60-70% for the eval whatever that means.

Dang--I just saw this. I realize this is n =1 (although another current student supposedly agreed), however I have yet to come across other anecdotes such as this that shed similar light. Has anyone found this type of feedback consistent during their interviews when they had the opportunity to discuss the school with current students? I have heard a few times in the past that the culture at UTSW is slightly more "competitive" amongst students themselves, however it seemed to me that student wellbeing and the overall community were comparable, or at least not strikingly dissimilar, to those at Baylor, for example.
 
Dang--I just saw this. I realize this is n =1 (although another current student supposedly agreed), however I have yet to come across other anecdotes such as this that shed similar light. Has anyone found this type of feedback consistent during their interviews when they had the opportunity to discuss the school with current students? I have heard a few times in the past that the culture at UTSW is slightly more "competitive" amongst students themselves, however it seemed to me that student wellbeing and the overall community were comparable, or at least not strikingly dissimilar, to those at Baylor, for example.
The student ambassadors they choose will present a positive picture of the school :whistle:
 
Last edited:
super late ik but im working on my secondaries, life got in the way. for prompt 1 is it ok if i discuss working w 1 other person or does it need to be with more than 1 because i saw this question floating around here but no one answerd it?
 
super late ik but im working on my secondaries, life got in the way. for prompt 1 is it ok if i discuss working w 1 other person or does it need to be with more than 1 because i saw this question floating around here but no one answerd it?
Might not be what you're looking for, but I talked about a group activity where I was working with a few other individuals, but only focused on a disagreement with one specific individual from the group. Got an II, so looks like it worked
 
super late ik but im working on my secondaries, life got in the way. for prompt 1 is it ok if i discuss working w 1 other person or does it need to be with more than 1 because i saw this question floating around here but no one answerd it?
I talked about a project working with only 1 other person and got an II this cycle, but I’d say it’s more important to focus on the prompt. Despite working with only 1 person, I talked a good amount about our dynamic as a team and what conflicts arose due to it. Choose the example that you think best shows how you work in a team imo.
 
Dang--I just saw this. I realize this is n =1 (although another current student supposedly agreed), however I have yet to come across other anecdotes such as this that shed similar light. Has anyone found this type of feedback consistent during their interviews when they had the opportunity to discuss the school with current students? I have heard a few times in the past that the culture at UTSW is slightly more "competitive" amongst students themselves, however it seemed to me that student wellbeing and the overall community were comparable, or at least not strikingly dissimilar, to those at Baylor, for example.
Current MS1 who just finished the busiest/most intense part of the preclinical curriculum. Prior to matriculation, I received a lot of negative feedback about the school on SDN (not necessarily dissuading me from attending, rather just people expression their frustrations) and relatively tame feedback from those I met on campus visits and during the first week of MS1.

I genuinely don't think it is as bad as people say it is. Sure, this first semester is pretty dang busy, but it is medical school after all, it is not supposed to be a walk in the park. Compared to what I hear on SDN, I expected to be at in-person, required events 8-5 M-F. It has not been like that at all! I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of free time I have during the week to be flexible with my studying. In the typical week, I am required to be on campus, in class/lab for maybe 3 or 4 days per week from 1-4/5pm. Nearly every single lecture is streamed/recorded and attendance is not required. We have occasional patient interactions which are not "required" but if you attend you get free points towards your final grade. Otherwise, I literally stay at home and study in the mornings.

Since school has started, I have continued all of my hobbies, exercise 5-6 days per week (without much of a thought on how to fit it in), and spend at least 2 hours of dedicated "no school" time with my SO every single night (plus dates on the weekends). Keep in mind, the first semester is the *busiest semester* here at UTSW, and I have yet to give up a single thing that brings me joy.

I just want to put it out there that YES it is hard, but I would say it is far from the awful, apathetic, hellscape that it sometimes comes across as on SDN. Though it is not perfect (yes, you occasionally have dumb/meaningless lunch talks where you learn "mindfulness" or "de-stress techniques" that don't work for anyone), I still love my school and my classmates (some of the most genuine, caring people I've ever met). If given another chance, I would still choose UTSW again. Feel free to message me if y'all have any questions
 
Current MS1 who just finished the busiest/most intense part of the preclinical curriculum. Prior to matriculation, I received a lot of negative feedback about the school on SDN (not necessarily dissuading me from attending, rather just people expression their frustrations) and relatively tame feedback from those I met on campus visits and during the first week of MS1.

I genuinely don't think it is as bad as people say it is. Sure, this first semester is pretty dang busy, but it is medical school after all, it is not supposed to be a walk in the park. Compared to what I hear on SDN, I expected to be at in-person, required events 8-5 M-F. It has not been like that at all! I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of free time I have during the week to be flexible with my studying. In the typical week, I am required to be on campus, in class/lab for maybe 3 or 4 days per week from 1-4/5pm. Nearly every single lecture is streamed/recorded and attendance is not required. We have occasional patient interactions which are not "required" but if you attend you get free points towards your final grade. Otherwise, I literally stay at home and study in the mornings.

Since school has started, I have continued all of my hobbies, exercise 5-6 days per week (without much of a thought on how to fit it in), and spend at least 2 hours of dedicated "no school" time with my SO every single night (plus dates on the weekends). Keep in mind, the first semester is the *busiest semester* here at UTSW, and I have yet to give up a single thing that brings me joy.

I just want to put it out there that YES it is hard, but I would say it is far from the awful, apathetic, hellscape that it sometimes comes across as on SDN. Though it is not perfect (yes, you occasionally have dumb/meaningless lunch talks where you learn "mindfulness" or "de-stress techniques" that don't work for anyone), I still love my school and my classmates (some of the most genuine, caring people I've ever met). If given another chance, I would still choose UTSW again. Feel free to message me if y'all have any questions
Thank you for your input!! It's always helpful to hear multiple perspectives.
 
I have heard that UTSW is prematch-heavy, but is there a statistic available on how heavy? This school is my top choice and I'm looking forward to knowing about their decision in a few weeks.
 
I have heard that UTSW is prematch-heavy, but is there a statistic available on how heavy? This school is my top choice and I'm looking forward to knowing about their decision in a few weeks.
Not a statistic reported by TMDSAS, they only gave us a general idea for the first time a few years back. They told us the range of prematch numbers, but would not divulge which school had the most and the least
 
I haven't received an interview invitation yet (LM 69, submitted 2nd on 7/8) and am considering sending an update/LoCI. Is this a terrible idea? i've been shadowing in the OR a lot which wasn't on my primary
 
Hi! I just have a quick question for any current students at UTSW if y’all don’t mind. A lot of medical schools in Texas have NBME exams and everyone has stated that it’s been very beneficial to them. Do you feel that the in-house exams at UTSW are a disadvantage compared to NBME exams? I’m sure it prepares you well for the board exams, however, does it require a lot more additional effort and third-party resources to supplement? Basically, this school is excellent, of course, and maybe it’s because of the previous posts that highlight how stressful it can be at this school but just how stressful is it really? I would be incredibly happy and lucky if I am accepted here, but for ranking purposes, I am also considering UTMB and as well for my first rank. Mostly because it seems like they are more “chill” with their curriculum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I just have a quick question for any current students at UTSW if y’all don’t mind. A lot of medical schools in Texas have NBME exams and everyone has stated that it’s been very beneficial to them. Do you feel that the in-house exams at UTSW are a disadvantage compared to NBME exams? I’m sure it prepares you well for the board exams, however, does it require a lot more additional effort and third-party resources to supplement? Basically, this school is excellent, of course, and maybe it’s because of the previous posts that highlight how stressful it can be at this school but just how stressful is it really? I would be incredibly happy and lucky if I am accepted here, but for ranking purposes, I am also considering UTMB and as well for my first rank. Mostly because it seems like they are more “chill” with their curriculum.
Only an MS1, but I would not say that it is necessarily a disadvantage. All of the MS3/4 students I have talked to have passed STEP 1 and (those who have taken it) have done well on STEP 2. Stats shared by the school show a multiple point increase in UTSW median step score vs the rest of USMD schools. Obviously I have not done any med school with NBME exams, so I couldn't really tell you how much better NBME vs in-house is.

As far as the tests go, obviously in-house is all based on the professors lectures. That being said, there are ample in-house resources that help a ton to figure out what exactly you need to know (course based tutoring sessions, shared anki decks from upperclassmen, etc.). Quite frankly, I feel very prepared walking into exams, and have yet to score lower than roughly 85-90% on everything. Class averages for every exam have been 80%+ without any curve. I believe only a 2-3 people failed the first exam, otherwise, nobody has failed out of any classes.

In my *personal* opinion, the stressful pre-clerkship (truly only the first semester) is rigorous for good reason. I feel that I have pushed myself harder than I ever did in undergrad/MCAT prep, and am pleasantly surprised at what I am capable of. I believe these few months will serve as the foundation for the busy, stressful, time-consuming foreseeable future as a med student/resident. Many classmates who I have talked to feel the same way. Plus I feel that I am way closer with my classmates now (trauma bonding lmao). Feel free to ask any additional questions or if you need clarification on anything.
 
Only an MS1, but I would not say that it is necessarily a disadvantage. All of the MS3/4 students I have talked to have passed STEP 1 and (those who have taken it) have done well on STEP 2. Stats shared by the school show a multiple point increase in UTSW median step score vs the rest of USMD schools. Obviously I have not done any med school with NBME exams, so I couldn't really tell you how much better NBME vs in-house is.

As far as the tests go, obviously in-house is all based on the professors lectures. That being said, there are ample in-house resources that help a ton to figure out what exactly you need to know (course based tutoring sessions, shared anki decks from upperclassmen, etc.). Quite frankly, I feel very prepared walking into exams, and have yet to score lower than roughly 85-90% on everything. Class averages for every exam have been 80%+ without any curve. I believe only a 2-3 people failed the first exam, otherwise, nobody has failed out of any classes.

In my *personal* opinion, the stressful pre-clerkship (truly only the first semester) is rigorous for good reason. I feel that I have pushed myself harder than I ever did in undergrad/MCAT prep, and am pleasantly surprised at what I am capable of. I believe these few months will serve as the foundation for the busy, stressful, time-consuming foreseeable future as a med student/resident. Many classmates who I have talked to feel the same way. Plus I feel that I am way closer with my classmates now (trauma bonding lmao). Feel free to ask any additional questions or if you need clarification on anything.
Okay, that’s relieving to hear. I was sorta more worried about not doing well on in-house exams since every prof is different, but it seems like there is plenty of resources to help with that. Thank you for taking the time to reply!
 
Does UTSW begin releasing pre-match offers tomorrow afternoon or morning? I have seen some conflicting info.

Also, does interview date impact whether I would possibly hear back on Oct 15?

Thanks!
 
Does UTSW begin releasing pre-match offers tomorrow afternoon or morning? I have seen some conflicting info.

Also, does interview date impact whether I would possibly hear back on Oct 15?

Thanks!
On Oct 15? Probably, based on past years.
Your date of interview? Depends on whether they had time to discuss you at a meeting since your interview date.
Remember also, pre-match offers aren't made on only one day, there will be more periodically between now and January.
 
Not all schools follow 15th or specific times. We have seen staggered releases over several days in the last season but some schools waited weeks and months.
 
Only an MS1, but I would not say that it is necessarily a disadvantage. All of the MS3/4 students I have talked to have passed STEP 1 and (those who have taken it) have done well on STEP 2. Stats shared by the school show a multiple point increase in UTSW median step score vs the rest of USMD schools. Obviously I have not done any med school with NBME exams, so I couldn't really tell you how much better NBME vs in-house is.

As far as the tests go, obviously in-house is all based on the professors lectures. That being said, there are ample in-house resources that help a ton to figure out what exactly you need to know (course based tutoring sessions, shared anki decks from upperclassmen, etc.). Quite frankly, I feel very prepared walking into exams, and have yet to score lower than roughly 85-90% on everything. Class averages for every exam have been 80%+ without any curve. I believe only a 2-3 people failed the first exam, otherwise, nobody has failed out of any classes.

In my *personal* opinion, the stressful pre-clerkship (truly only the first semester) is rigorous for good reason. I feel that I have pushed myself harder than I ever did in undergrad/MCAT prep, and am pleasantly surprised at what I am capable of. I believe these few months will serve as the foundation for the busy, stressful, time-consuming foreseeable future as a med student/resident. Many classmates who I have talked to feel the same way. Plus I feel that I am way closer with my classmates now (trauma bonding lmao). Feel free to ask any additional questions or if you need clarification on anything.
MS2 here.

The disconnect between the school wanting us to be prepared for STEP1 and not giving us NBME exams is a bit contrived. The admin has been constantly reminding/encouraging us (MS2s) to get started on light/medium prep for the board exam and they have provided UWorld and First-Aid to help supplement our studying. Not to mention we have a dedicated 6-8 weeks with nothing but STEP study time when our last organ block finishes in early December.

It's a grind right up until the board exam but, friends, it's medical school. The only one that's going to get you across that finish line is yourself at the end of the day. The hurdle is the same for everybody MD, DO, IS, OOS... doesn't matter. Some schools give NBME exams, while others (like ours) focus on giving you resources and protected time to prepare.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad