This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suigenerisss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really loved kcu Kansas City campus but was accepted to the Joplin campus. Now I'm just having a hard time deciding on which school to pay the deposit for Bc deadline is fast approaching. I have a few more interviews within the next two weeks (bcom/NOVA/cusom/at still soma) but will likely cancel at least two.

Acom
Pros: rotation network, facilities, atmosphere, new research center, dual degree (DO/MBA)
Cons: first class hasn't graduated yet so unsure of match list, mandatory attendance, dress code

Kcu-Joplin
Pros: affiliation to kcu (more established), same curriculum as kcu-ks which really emphasizes boards, no dress code/mandatory attendance
Cons: incredibly new, no dual degree program (may change), not as much info

There are probably more pros and cons for both, but I'd like some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you from? What are your aspirations as of now? Do you have the same clinical rotation sites as the original KCU? KCU Joplin doesn't have a match list either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you from? What are your aspirations as of now? Do you have the same clinical rotation sites as the original KCU? KCU Joplin doesn't have a match list either.

I'm a non traditional student from Texas. I'm waiting on my state school but won't know til feb 1. I'm pretty open minded about what field I want to get into in the future. Yea Joplin hasn't established all their clerkship opportunities yet according to their website. They Are brand spanking new. I would be in their first graduating class, which would actually be cool in the future. But now? Not so sure

Ah! I'm so conflicted!

I'm a non traditional student from Texas. I'm waiting on my state school but won't know til feb 1. I'm pretty open minded about what field I want to get into in the future. Yea Joplin hasn't established all their clerkship opportunities yet according to their website. They Are brand spanking new. I would be in their first graduating class, which would actually be cool in the future. But now? Not so sure

Ah! I'm so conflicted!

did Joplin say if they were using the same curriculum as the other one? That's the hard part with brand new schools is the curriculum because they tend to always miss stuff with the first couple classes and they don't find out until boards. I would go off environment outside of school if it's the same curriculum as the other campus.

Not only is the curriculum the same, but the professors that will be teaching at Joplin next fall have been shadowing professors at the KC campus this year and even teaching a class or two. Quality of the curriculum should not be a worry of the Joplin campus!

Reactions: 1 user
Ya go wherever you'd rather be environmentally.

I really loved kcu Kansas City campus but was accepted to the Joplin campus. Now I'm just having a hard time deciding on which school to pay the deposit for Bc deadline is fast approaching. I have a few more interviews within the next two weeks (bcom/NOVA/cusom/at still soma) but will likely cancel at least two.

Acom
Pros: rotation network, facilities, atmosphere, new research center, dual degree (DO/MBA)
Cons: first class hasn't graduated yet so unsure of match list, mandatory attendance, dress code

Kcu-Joplin
Pros: affiliation to kcu (more established), same curriculum as kcu-ks which really emphasizes boards, no dress code/mandatory attendance
Cons: incredibly new, no dual degree program (may change), not as much info

There are probably more pros and cons for both, but I'd like some advice!
I don't think it's quite right to say "affiliated with KCU". It is KCU. This isn't like the Arkansas branch of NYCOM or the GA branch of PCOM, they aren't separate schools, just two campuses of the same school.

Go KCU.

Honestly I would also cancel your BCOM and CUSOM interviews, if you have to pick two.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think it's quite right to say "affiliated with KCU". It is KCU. This isn't like the Arkansas branch of NYCOM or the GA branch of PCOM, they aren't separate schools, just two campuses of the same school.

Go KCU.

Honestly I would also cancel your BCOM and CUSOM interviews, if you have to pick two.

I had a horrible time at SOMA and would cancel that one too :).

I had a horrible time at SOMA and would cancel that one too :).
I have heard not so nice things about SOMA from current residents as well, but I didn't wanna say anything :oops:

I have heard not so nice things about SOMA from current residents as well, but I didn't wanna say anything :oops:

There are some students who drink the kool-aid though, just yesterday at work a rotating student from SOMA tried to convince me that the fact that he had mandatory clinic every week during second year and that the fact that he had never ever done a rotation with a resident was this super great thing for medical education. I just smiled and waved.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to necro-bump, but what school did you end up choosing? I am in the same predicament choosing between ACOM and KCU-Joplin. KCU is further away (10 hours) and ACOM is only 3 hours away. I felt "at home" at ACOM but interviewed at Joplin and it was an "okayis" town. Of course KCU-Joplin is KCU and historically a better school if basing off of KCU-KC performance on match and board.

I would go with KCU. Regardless of the separate campus KCU is a really recognized name in the region. Just looking at the KC match list recently and there are a ton of ACGME university programs KCU students matched into. Now, it is unfortunate you won’t have the benefit of a Joplin match list to compare to but I personally think the KCU brand name will still open a lot of doors for you in the Midwest.

If KCU doesn’t have mando attendance go there. Go anywhere that doesn’t have attendance.

Source: dealt with mando attendance

If KCU doesn’t have mando attendance go there. Go anywhere that doesn’t have attendance.

Source: dealt with mando attendance

And go to a school with a low credit low (ex. 20-25 contact hours per week)

Source: went to a school with a high credit load