Any news from Indiana University SOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zetandu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone, especially all of you Canadian applicants (that's what I am) has received a secondary from Indiana yet? MSAR says that they only send secondaries to those that qualify for an interview, when do they usually send those out. I've received all of my others so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure, but I know that a lot of people with very good stats (talking GPA and MCAT only) have received rejections already.

I still haven't, so I'm crossing my fingers I'm one of the OOS that gets one!

I havent heard anything yet either - I am an Indiana resident... and apparently my GPA and MCAT scores are within their interview range.

I am starting to get concerned >.<

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of stats (specifically) did the people have (ones who were rejected?) and do you know their interview stats as well? Thanks!

IUSM is known for its pre-secondary rejections for OOS students...even those with pretty good stats.

For Indiana residents, the interview range is MCAT 25 minimum, and 3.2 gpa, i believe. If you are at or near that MCAT minimum however, don't expect to get accepted as the average matriculant has atleast a 31 MCAT.

good luck.

What kind of stats (specifically) did the people have (ones who were rejected?) and do you know their interview stats as well? Thanks!

3.77/35 OOS. Rejected.

Canadian applicant here, still waiting for a rejection or a secondary.

It's very tough to get into IUSM OOS. But they haven't sent out the secondary yet as of my knowledge. They usually send out a note saying they will review your file, but that's about it at first. If you are In-state, and have at least a 24, then you'll get an interview.

That's a bummer. On the Canadian pre-med forums, I learnt that Indiana SOM is one of the most receptive US Schools to Canadian and OOS applicants. But I guess I shouldn't be too optimistic about this school then...

That's a bummer. On the Canadian pre-med forums, I learnt that Indiana SOM is one of the most receptive US Schools to Canadian and OOS applicants. But I guess I shouldn't be too optimistic about this school then...

Aah, that might make sense. I'm a 3.7+/37 "international" student and got rejected pre-secondary. I'm not Canadian though. The int'l interview numbers looked pretty favorable on MSAR. Maybe they really like Canadian applicants. I'd still apply and be hopeful. I mean, it's only $30.

Same with NYU. Their interview numbers looked pretty good for international students. I was about to apply and found out that they only interview Canadians.

I also applied EDP to IU back in June, and I am waiting to get my secondary. From the looks of the posts from previous years, we should be getting them this week.

Reading these threads has scared me a bit, because there are posts saying that many schools only accept a few of their EDP applicants. (You had to have minimum 3.6/30 to apply EDP to IU.)

Anybody want to make me feel better about this?

Have IU secondaries gone out yet? (IS or OOS)

In other words, does no news = good news? (for the moment)

Have IU secondaries gone out yet?

In other words, does no news = good news? (for the moment)

Wondering this myself. I'm OOS and submitted a heck of a long time ago. Is not hearing back yet a good thing lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! Anything new from anyone?

No new news from anyone today huh :[

I'm an in-state applicant and I got my secondary app from IU on Friday.

Wondering this myself. I'm OOS and submitted a heck of a long time ago. Is not hearing back yet a good thing lol?

Unless we're getting the "silent" rejection already. I don't think it'll be long now till we get the news, either good or bad.

I check the mail first thing every morning - still nothing ;)

Anyone any new info lol?

You're funny Schwerbert.
I was verified July 7th and still haven't heard anything (OOS). I have no ties and my stats are average...I think they're just taking their time with the rejections...mah well...

I received my secondary last Friday. I already have all the papers sent back in so hopefully an invite is not that far off. I am an instate applicant and have a 3.6 /32

I received my secondary last Friday. I already have all the papers sent back in so hopefully an invite is not that far off. I am an instate applicant and have a 3.6 /32

When were you verified?

I was varified like 6/8 or somewhere around then but my MCAT scores did not come out until 7/14.

I was varified like 6/8 or somewhere around then but my MCAT scores did not come out until 7/14.

It seems that the instate interview offers were sent out last week. OOS applicants will have to wait a while longer... tsk.

another OOSer with no news from IU - I've lived in neighboring rust belt states (OH and MI) pretty much my whole life, but otherwise no ties...

I just called IU, and they said that they mailed me a packet two weeks ago. Guess the US Postal Service has something against me bc it never got to my house. They're sending out another one - hopefully it arrives this time around!

another OOSer with no news from IU - I've lived in neighboring rust belt states (OH and MI) pretty much my whole life, but otherwise no ties...
Take this advice with a grain of salt, but IU does tend to show some love to MI/IL residents.

Any more OOS rejections?

I was verified on 10/7 and I continue to ask myself if no news is good news...

I was also verified early July (7 I think..) and have not heard from IU. However, looking at other OOS applicants who have already received rejections with better stats than me, I am not holding my breath for it. I'm pretty confident they just haven't gotten to mine yet to reject me:p

You don't give up hope though!!!!!

I got the secondary/interview invite today in the mail. I submitted back on June 17th and was verified on the 1st.

(OOS)

rejected OOS with good mcat and gpa and decent ecs.

So interview invites are being sent by snail mail? Odd.

I received my formal invite for an interview today. I am really starting to get nervous now that I know I have an interview.

Finally got my secondary in the mail today! (Version 2- they had to re-mail it bc it got lost in the mail the first time two weeks ago.) Also, got an interview invite via email around 10am this morning. Some questions about the secondary...

1. For those of you who went to IU undergrad, did you fill out either of the educator evaluation forms or did you just have HPPLC forward your faculty composite?
2. What is the deal with the personal evaluation form? Did you have someone separate from your personal recommendation letter author complete this?
3. How did you go about doing the Dean's Office form? Did you fax it? If so, did they say they would just mail it for free?

Finally got my secondary in the mail today! (Version 2- they had to re-mail it bc it got lost in the mail the first time two weeks ago.) Also, got an interview invite via email around 10am this morning. Some questions about the secondary...

1. For those of you who went to IU undergrad, did you fill out either of the educator evaluation forms or did you just have HPPLC forward your faculty composite?
2. What is the deal with the personal evaluation form? Did you have someone separate from your personal recommendation letter author complete this?
3. How did you go about doing the Dean's Office form? Did you fax it? If so, did they say they would just mail it for free?

I got my interview email today. Did they send out all the emails today?

As for ur question, I dont know what HP... is, but i just had my recommenders mail their letters without any of those ridiculous forms, which is more than enough.
For the personal evaluation, you can pick any one you like. Its up to you. It could be ur wife...
For the Dean's form, you have to go send it to the office at ur school, where they keep ur records, which varies from school to school. They used the campus mail in my case for free.

I haven't heard anything from them since the 10th of July (their confirmation email), how long should I wait before contacting them? It just feels like I should have heard something from them by now, rejection or secondary.

Whatever you do, DON'T call it a "secondary" when you call. They get mad. It is a "supplemental" application. Trust me.

rejected today 32P and 3.8 ... but feel better now that I found this thread

I guess Canadians are placed in a different pool altogether? No info on this end either!

Got my rejection letter snail mail style yesterday. Out of state with a 34P and 3.68/3.84 overall/bcpm.

If you receive a secondary does it arrive by snail mail, email, or both?

Man, IU definitely doesn't like the OOS kids this year.

I wouldn't say that. IU is extremely obsessed with numbers. There are some old dudes on the commitee and the only thing they care about is first, how high your MCAT is and then GPA. As an IS, I have more chance at OOS schools than IU. (if u were URM, things would have been diffrent though) But the school is great, and it has amazing facilities.
eg. my IS friend got rejected with 32 MCAT and 3.8 GPA. She moved to another state two months ago to improve her chances. thats how F. up the admissions commitee is...

I am an IS reapplicant this year, I got rejected last April with 30Q and 3.7. I'm hoping that applying early this year will help, along with taking postbacc over the summer.

I just received my interview email over the weekend. Anybody know what interview days are before the first review? My date is Sept 10, and I know they only do Wednesdays, so that's a max of 4 days (9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24) but I don't know if they do *every* Weds in the beginning. I'm just wondering how many people I'm going to be competing against to "bubble up" as they call it.

For any other reapplicants out there, did you receive the evaluation and deans forms again before getting your interview invite? I remember getting those last year pretty soon after I applied but haven't received them yet this year. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I guess Canadians are placed in a different pool altogether? No info on this end either!
zetandu, i can't believe that, with such amazing stats, you got rejected from all Canadian schools!!! Its just unbelievable...Did u apply to McMaster or University of Ottawa?

Rejected by Snail Mail last week (dunno the exact date, was out of town) 34R and 3.99, Canadian Applicant. BOOrns.

At MedSchoolMan, I applied last year to both UofO and Mac but same response from those two. I guess they felt I was extremely lacking in the EC department. Are you a fellow Canadian as well?

I am an IS reapplicant this year, I got rejected last April with 30Q and 3.7. I'm hoping that applying early this year will help, along with taking postbacc over the summer.

I just received my interview email over the weekend. Anybody know what interview days are before the first review? My date is Sept 10, and I know they only do Wednesdays, so that's a max of 4 days (9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24) but I don't know if they do *every* Weds in the beginning. I'm just wondering how many people I'm going to be competing against to "bubble up" as they call it.

For any other reapplicants out there, did you receive the evaluation and deans forms again before getting your interview invite? I remember getting those last year pretty soon after I applied but haven't received them yet this year. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm the same, but I haven't heard from them yet. I called and they said they haven't gotten to my cycle yet...I thought I applied early enough though (end of June). I really want to get my interview ASAP.

I am a canadian, applied to indiana, and got an email saying they don't have a secondary..what gives?

Rejected by Snail Mail last week (dunno the exact date, was out of town) 34R and 3.99, Canadian Applicant. BOOrns.

At MedSchoolMan, I applied last year to both UofO and Mac but same response from those two. I guess they felt I was extremely lacking in the EC department. Are you a fellow Canadian as well?
Don't worry, you're not alone. There are plenty of people with absurd numbers getting rejected there, hence my last comment. Take a look at the rejection thread if you want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.