2021-2022 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indiana does not employ a secondary essay phase in their application process.
Apparently they will send you an email that your AMCAS application has been received, then
at the time when they choose whom to interview, will send selected students a link to fill out some additional non-essay information.

Kindly navigate to this post below where @Quinteresting has explained it for you: 2021-2022 Indiana

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what IU is doing with this Snapshot/Duet thing that CASPer added? I'm assuming they still only require CASPer but wasn't sure.

Hi all, current student here. Let me know if I can help answer any questions about IU! It’s a great program and I love it here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, current MS1 here. Let me know if I can help answer any questions about IU! It’s a great program and I love it here.

Do you know anything about if/how IU doles out financial/merit aid?

How likely does it seem like people are to get the campus of their choosing?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know anything about if/how IU doles out financial/merit aid?

How likely does it seem like people are to get the campus of their choosing?

Thanks!
1. There’s merit scholarships for top 15 percent (or something like that) applicants based off of GPA and MCAT. There’s alumni specific scholarships you get considered for during your first year’s fall semester. There might be some other scholarships you get considered for when you apply that’s based off of alumni donors too. Everything else is loans. This is all word of mouth & to the best of my knowledge.
2. If you’re applying ED or Scholarly Area of Concentration that’s specific to a campus, you get your pick. Anything else, you get somewhere within your top 4 or 5 campuses. So whatever you rank make sure you’d be happy with being at your top 5 campuses. Indy is obviously super popular so it’s less likely you’ll get it since so many people rank it as 1. Campus assignments seem to be getting more and more delayed every year…this year it was like mid-May when people found out. So that may clash with other acceptances & AAMC traffic rules. Just a head’s up.

Anyone else having trouble with their undergrad IU transcripts with AMCAS?

I'm out-of-state but in-region (IL), stats are slightly below average according to MSAR (3.67c, 511). ORM. Worth applying? Submitted my app but haven't added IU to the list yet.

I'm out-of-state but in-region (IL), stats are slightly below average according to MSAR (3.67c, 511). ORM. Worth applying? Submitted my app but haven't added IU to the list yet.
I'm in a very similar position as you (from MI, 3.65c, 512, ORM) and I'm thinking the same thing. I'm planning to apply (I have some family there), but b/c Indiana doesn't do secondaries (at least they haven't in the past) idk where to mention ties to the state. If you're from IL that isn't Chicagoland and close to Indiana, that may give you a leg up... who knows but they do interview a lot of people out-of-state (600+). If you get to that point, I'm sure you could make a case for being close in region and that may help you. Just my rationale for applying from someone in a similar situation

Does anyone know what IU is doing with this Snapshot/Duet thing that CASPer added? I'm assuming they still only require CASPer but wasn't sure.
I wound up emailing admissions about this because I just took CASPer and wanted a definite answer. They are not requiring snapshot or duet for this cycle, but they did not rule out looking at it if we completed it for a different school.

Hi all, current MS1 here. Let me know if I can help answer any questions about IU! It’s a great program and I love it here.

Do you find that there is an abundance of opportunities available to you and your peers? Specifically research and service-learning/advocacy opportunities. I've heard others mention that opportunities tend to be more competitive at schools with larger student bodies, but I'm curious whether the multiple campuses mitigates this a bit.

How do you find the curriculum so far? Highs/lows of Year 1? Does the campus you attend affect teaching/curriculum? Or is it mostly about location (i.e. urban/rural, proximity to research centers, etc.)?

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to answer questions on here!

I'm in a position where I have moderate to strong ties to the state. My entire maternal side lives in Indianapolis, I've spent every summer there growing up, and I spent a lot of time in Indianapolis's hospitals with my grandpa who ended up passing there. With that being said, I genuinely want to practice in and give back to Indiana's communities. I'm from Iowa, but my stats are average (3.76 sGPA, 3.73 cGPA, 510 MCAT). Them not having 2º worries me because I won't be able to explain my ties to the state. Any tips? I already sent my 1º there.

Do you find that there is an abundance of opportunities available to you and your peers? Specifically research and service-learning/advocacy opportunities. I've heard others mention that opportunities tend to be more competitive at schools with larger student bodies, but I'm curious whether the multiple campuses mitigates this a bit.

How do you find the curriculum so far? Highs/lows of Year 1? Does the campus you attend affect teaching/curriculum? Or is it mostly about location (i.e. urban/rural, proximity to research centers, etc.)?

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to answer questions on here!
  1. Each campus has unique partnerships with its associated undergraduate university and community organizations so there is an abundance of initiatives available for research, service learning, and advocacy. Obviously, due to the pandemic, things were less available to our class but moving forward, things look optimistic for the incoming class (class of 2025). There are a ton of summer opportunities that are available for everyone to apply to, as well. So students do not need to get involved from the get-go and can plan out what they want to do in the spring semester.
  2. The campus you attend does not affect teaching/curriculum. All campuses are on the same schedule and they have shifted to statewide lectures so that everyone is watching the same lectures. The curriculum is manageable so far, I pretty much use board resources to study for all exams and it's fine. Highs = being done (haha), making friends, and figuring out how to talk to patients/conduct physical exams. Lows = getting adjusted to the workflow and pace of medical school, coronavirus in general.

Reactions: 1 users
  1. Each campus has unique partnerships with its associated undergraduate university and community organizations so there is an abundance of initiatives available for research, service learning, and advocacy. Obviously, due to the pandemic, things were less available to our class but moving forward, things look optimistic for the incoming class (class of 2025). There are a ton of summer opportunities that are available for everyone to apply to, as well. So students do not need to get involved from the get-go and can plan out what they want to do in the spring semester.
  2. The campus you attend does not affect teaching/curriculum. All campuses are on the same schedule and they have shifted to statewide lectures so that everyone is watching the same lectures. The curriculum is manageable so far, I pretty much use board resources to study for all exams and it's fine. Highs = being done (haha), making friends, and figuring out how to talk to patients/conduct physical exams. Lows = getting adjusted to the workflow and pace of medical school, coronavirus in general.
Hi, what I am gathering is that classes are not in person?? or lecture based?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, what I am gathering is that classes are not in person?? or lecture based?
Attendance to lectures are optional. Classes are in person. Lectures are a part of class work - there’s also problem based learning, labs, and clinical work. There are statewide lectures so all campuses get the same lecture.

Did anyone else get this email?

"
Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. The Admissions Office will notify you of our decision via email once your application has been reviewed. We encourage applicants to check their email frequently.

Thank you for considering Indiana University School of Medicine for your medical education.
"

I know IU doesn't do a true secondary, but in the past, they have had a portal where you pay the fee, and fill out other forms, etc. This email almost makes it sound like they're not doing that or something?

Did anyone else get this email?

"
Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. The Admissions Office will notify you of our decision via email once your application has been reviewed. We encourage applicants to check their email frequently.

Thank you for considering Indiana University School of Medicine for your medical education.
"

I know IU doesn't do a true secondary, but in the past, they have had a portal where you pay the fee, and fill out other forms, etc. This email almost makes it sound like they're not doing that or something?
Yeah, I got this email too. I think you only pay and get access to a portal if you get an interview invite, but I am not 100% positive about that.

Yeah, I got this email too. I think you only pay and get access to a portal if you get an interview invite, but I am not 100% positive about that.
You're right, just checked last years thread.

Once they have your verified AMCAS app, they send that confirmation email. Then they review your app, and decide whether to send an II. If you get an II, at that point you are invited to fill out the graduate application, and pay the fee.

You're right, just checked last years thread.

Once they have your verified AMCAS app, they send that confirmation email. Then they review your app, and decide whether to send an II. If you get an II, at that point you are invited to fill out the graduate application, and pay the fee.
Would you guys mind sharing if you are IS or OOS? Applied but am OOS & did not get that email yet :)

Reactions: 3 users
Would you guys mind sharing if you are IS or OOS? Applied but am OOS & did not get that email yet :)
IS, regular MD program.

Some interesting information in last year's thread... It seems like IU has some way of prioritizing applicants. You get the confirmation once they actually download your app, but I think they can see IS/OOS and MCAT score prior to downloading the app. So they download "higher priority" (maybe based on IS status, EDP, and stats?) applications first.

There were some people in the thread last year who waited months to even get a confirmation that IU downloaded their primary. For example, heres a few people who didn't get confirmations unitil after the first wave of IIs in August (scroll down to Aug 5). I wouldn't worry about it yet, but I'd say if you don't get the confirmation sometime in the next week or so, that may be an indication you've missed the first wave, or that something was incomplete in your application.

• Hmm
I just got the confirmation earlier today, IS regular MD applicant. As noted above, there is some sort of priority queue that IUSM to order the applications

OOS no ties MSPT applicant I recieved that confirmation this morning

Anyone else just get an email about being identified as a “potential applicant for the Rural Medical Education Program (RMEP)?”

Last edited:
Could you tell me a little about how clerkships might differ at the different campuses? Since the curriculum is the same, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to go to Indy because of clerkships/other clinical involvement since there are so many great hospitals there. I've heard that if you attend a regional campus you do some (?) rotations in Indy, and if you're in Indy you do a couple rotations at another campus.

I saw on the school website that 3 letters of recommendation are required. My school writes a committee letter. Does anyone know if a school committee letter will be able to satisfy this requirement? I didn't see it say anything about this on the website.

I'm a reapplicant and my application has not been finished being reviewed by AMCAS yet for this year, but I got an II about 2-3 weeks after IU sent the email that they received my application last year for what that's worth.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there are any essay questions required in the post-II portal, or is it just basic demographic info + a payment?

Hi, I am applying ED to IUSM. Their website says the cut off for the Indianapolis campus for ED is 512 and nothing lower than a 127 individually. I got a 516 and a 126 on CARS (ugh). Is there any way I could go Indianapolis still for ED? Or is this cut off very harsh? and how does the campus thing work with early decision?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are any essay questions required in the post-II portal, or is it just basic demographic info + a payment?
No essay questions. Just forms to fill out and such. You'll need to get a dean's evaluation mailed from your undergrad, which can be an annoying process as I understand it. I think you can also designate if you're interested in a scholarly concentration at one of the campuses as well. From last years thread, here's everything in the grad app:
"
  • -Legal Disclosure Form (should trigger fairly quickly in applicant portal)
  • You have your undergrad mail (physically, sometimes electronically depending on the school):
  • -Dean's eval (took almost a month for this to update in the portal)
  • You email:
  • -Virtual Interview Acknowledgement (within a week, should appear in 'documents uploaded' on the portal)
  • -Virtual Interview Confirmation (you will receive the form by email when your interview is scheduled. Similar to Interview Acknowledgement)
  • Other:
  • -Grad fee is paid when grad app is done online (takes about 7 days from payment for this to update in the applicant portal)
  • -Letters of rec are received from AMCAS, but they are not reviewed until around when your interview is scheduled. Portal updated for me on the same day I got the Interview Scheduled email
  • -MCAT updated immediately for me, but I got my scores on July 7th. For others, might be similar to Letters of Rec. Just be sure AMCAS is sending it to your schools.
  • -Prereqs come from AMCAS too. Same thing with Letters of Rec where they weren't checked in the portal until well into the process.
  • -CASPer: there is nothing in the portal about CASPer, but they do require it to be complete. Just make sure you've got it done and sent. They'll let you know if they don't have it, I'd bet.
"

Nice username by the way! I've seen them live before, and it was a great show!

Hi, I am applying ED to IUSM. Their website says the cut off for the Indianapolis campus for ED is 512 and nothing lower than a 127 individually. I got a 516 and a 126 on CARS (ugh). Is there any way I could go Indianapolis still for ED? Or is this cut off very harsh? and how does the campus thing work with early decision?

Thanks!
I believe it is a hard cutoff, but you could probably email their admissions account to see if they'd make an exception since your well above the overall cutoff maybe.

The way it works is that you select your campus preferences once you get the II, and I believe you're guaranteed your top choice if admitted to EDP. I'm assuming anyone below the cutoffs for Indy just won't have that option when they're ranking campuses for EDP

No essay questions. Just forms to fill out and such. You'll need to get a dean's evaluation mailed from your undergrad, which can be an annoying process as I understand it. I think you can also designate if you're interested in a scholarly concentration at one of the campuses as well. From last years thread, here's everything in the grad app:
"
  • You have your undergrad mail (physically, sometimes electronically depending on the school):
  • You email:
  • -Virtual Interview Acknowledgement (within a week, should appear in 'documents uploaded' on the portal)
  • -Virtual Interview Confirmation (you will receive the form by email when your interview is scheduled. Similar to Interview Acknowledgement)
  • Other:
  • -Grad fee is paid when grad app is done online (takes about 7 days from payment for this to update in the applicant portal)
  • -Letters of rec are received from AMCAS, but they are not reviewed until around when your interview is scheduled. Portal updated for me on the same day I got the Interview Scheduled email
  • -MCAT updated immediately for me, but I got my scores on July 7th. For others, might be similar to Letters of Rec. Just be sure AMCAS is sending it to your schools.
  • -Prereqs come from AMCAS too. Same thing with Letters of Rec where they weren't checked in the portal until well into the process.
  • -CASPer: there is nothing in the portal about CASPer, but they do require it to be complete. Just make sure you've got it done and sent. They'll let you know if they don't have it, I'd bet.
"

Thanks so much! And that’s the first time anyone on SDN has ever commented on it and I’m thrilled about it haha

"
  • You email:
  • Other:
"

What on earth is a deans evaluatio?

Could you tell me a little about how clerkships might differ at the different campuses? Since the curriculum is the same, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to go to Indy because of clerkships/other clinical involvement since there are so many great hospitals there. I've heard that if you attend a regional campus you do some (?) rotations in Indy, and if you're in Indy you do a couple rotations at another campus.
If you’re interested in doing more community medicine and having more hands on experiences, regional campuses can accommodate that more easily because there are smaller groups of students at regional campuses versus Indy who has a bunch of students everywhere. From what I’ve heard from others, you are more hands on and involved with patient care at regional campuses (so if you want to be assisting in surgeries and whatever you can). At Indy you’re mainly observing and eventually you may get to do more than that. It’s more 1-on-1 mentorship at regional campuses than at Indy.

and yes, either way you have to do at least one rotation at a regional site if you’re at Indy or at a regional campus.

If we haven’t received anything from IU at this point, is it safe to assume weve been rejected?

• Haha
If we haven’t received anything from IU at this point, is it safe to assume weve been rejected?
It's a rolling admissions process so I would assume not. It takes time for them to receive your application and Casper scores.

No, take a deep breath and relax. Last cycle, some applicants who were verified in June got their first confirmation email in August

OOS confirmation just now but strong ties as I did my master's there.

OOS. Primary confirmation received a few moments ago

OOS Primary App verification just received, high hopes with some low chances

It seems to me like they only need LORs if you’re invited to fill out the grad school application, can anyone else confirm? Supplemental Materials | MD Program | IU School of Medicine
It seems a little ambiguous based on that page. Like some of the things in that list, they don't need until after the II (dean's evaluation), but obviously, they need some of it before (MCAT score).

I'd just email them, they're very responsive

I could be wrong but it looks like IU has changed their portal? In past years people got a link to do the "graduate application", whereas this year it seems to be a dedicated portal like most schools have for secondaries. Still the same content that people have talked about before.

It doesn't seem to be working yet though? I'm assuming there's supposed to be a way to download these forms, but I can't seem to do that yet. There's also no way to pay yet, and the FAQ section just has a phone number and that's it lol

Edit: it appears they're actively working on the portal. Things are literally changing while I'm on it haha

Edit #2: Im stoopid, the forms are attached to the II email

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users