2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It said 100 alternates chosen for anyone wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I should reject them before they reject me 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So are we all pretty confident that at this point, if we haven't received a waitlist notification that we have been rejected? Or does anyone know if there is a second wave WL notification and/or any chance for a straight-up acceptance at this point (although for that I am not hopeful)?

Reactions: 1 user
So are we all pretty confident that at this point, if we haven't received a waitlist notification that we have been rejected? Or does anyone know if there is a second wave WL notification and/or any chance for a straight-up acceptance at this point (although for that I am not hopeful)?
Give up hope man, we’re rejected. Sorry

Well gg fam, time to go dig my Kaplan books out of my garage.

Congrats to everyone who got the waitlist notification, I'm both happy for you and simultaneously hoping you repeatedly stub your toes.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alrighty... glad i wasted the past 6 months of my life stressing over this school 🙃 good luck to everyone! I hope the rest of this cycle goes exactly how you want it to

Is there a way to turn off notifications for this thread because i just don't care about it anymore 😂😂😂

• Haha
Do we all find out our campuses at the same time? Or is it based on when u were accepted

Just thinking out loud here. Last March we found out that there were ~450 acceptances sent out, and as far as we know, only alternate invitations (~100) were sent out this month with no additional acceptances are rejections. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but that means our current situation has 450 acceptances and 100 alternate list people. In the past two years, IUSM has accepted 574 (353 IS/221 OOS) and 584 (346 IS/238 OOS) applicants in 2020 and 2021 respectively. With over 550 applicants receiving acceptances in the last 2 years, that would mean that the entire alternate list and then some would need to be accepted this year to match past benchmarks.

Either I have incorrect information or flawed thinking, but it seems that IU may be acting very cautiously to not overfill the class in this strange COVID year. But if past trends keep up, I would imagine that IU would have to wait to send rejections until at least mid-may, because if there is as much alternate list movement as it appears there should be, they might have to offer more people places on the alternate list in the future.

Let me know what y'all think! Hopefully this is good news for the alternate list people and gives some slight hope to people who have yet to hear anything, but let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey waitlist fam!
I'm an MS3 here at IUSM and wanted to offer some reassurance to those who recently found out that they are on the waitlist. During my app cycle, I interviewed in early November, found out I was waitlisted in late April, and finally got off the waitlist in early June. It was a BRUTAL wait. Expect a lot of waitlist movement after campus placements go out - folks sitting on multiple acceptances often withdraw from IUSM after getting dealt a ****ty hand with the campus placement "lottery." If you haven't already, consider sending in a letter of intent so they know where you stand.

So, don't give up hope! Reach out with questions if you have any. Rest assured that IUSM's communication skills greatly improve with students.

edit: ps. getting put on the waitlist is by no means a reflection of how well you will do in medical school. I struggled with this a lot, and even once I got in, the imposter syndrome was real. know that you belong here and you will thrive here!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey waitlist fam!
I'm an MS3 here at IUSM and wanted to offer some reassurance to those who recently found out that they are on the waitlist. During my app cycle, I interviewed in early November, found out I was waitlisted in late April, and finally got off the waitlist in early June. It was a BRUTAL wait. Expect a lot of waitlist movement after campus placements go out - folks sitting on multiple acceptances often withdraw from IUSM after getting dealt a ****ty hand with the campus placement "lottery." If you haven't already, consider sending in a letter of intent so they know where you stand.

So, don't give up hope! Reach out with questions if you have any. Rest assured that IUSM's communication skills greatly improve with students.

edit: ps. getting put on the waitlist is by no means a reflection of how well you will do in medical school. I struggled with this a lot, and even once I got in, the imposter syndrome was real. know that you belong here and you will thrive here!
With this years April 30 deadline and iu not releasing campus decisions, are we still allowed to hold multiple acceptances until we find out what campus we get?

Reactions: 1 users
With most iu people matching back to Indiana or the Midwest - is that a self selection thing like they prefer that or regional bias as in it’s hard to match outside of the Midwest

Just thinking out loud here. Last March we found out that there were ~450 acceptances sent out, and as far as we know, only alternate invitations (~100) were sent out this month with no additional acceptances are rejections. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but that means our current situation has 450 acceptances and 100 alternate list people. In the past two years, IUSM has accepted 574 (353 IS/221 OOS) and 588 (346 IS/238 OOS) applicants in 2020 and 2021 respectively. With over 550 applicants receiving acceptances in the last 2 years, that would mean that the entire alternate list and then some would need to be accepted this year to match past benchmarks.

Either I have incorrect information or flawed thinking, but it seems that IU may be acting very cautiously to not overfill the class in this strange COVID year. But if past trends keep up, I would imagine that IU would have to wait to send rejections until at least mid-may, because if there is as much alternate list movement as it appears there should be, they might have to offer more people places on the alternate list in the future.

Let me know what y'all think! Hopefully this is good news for the alternate list people and gives some slight hope to people who have yet to hear anything, but let me know!
I talked to my neighbor who graduated from here last year - back then he got a call he was accepted in July right before classes started, and he had never been on the waitlist. He was shocked at the time, had to change all his plans but ended up going here. So I guess its not over until you actually get the rejection email!

Reactions: 5 users
With most iu people matching back to Indiana or the Midwest - is that a self selection thing like they prefer that or regional bias as in it’s hard to match outside of the Midwest
I don't know for certain, but I would think it's a self-selection thing, meaning the graduates would prefer to be closer to where they're from. IU is one of the biggest medical schools in the country with a well-respected history of research. I can't imagine residencies looking down on IU's graduates.

I talked to my neighbor who graduated from here last year - back then he got a call he was accepted in July right before classes started, and he had never been on the waitlist. He was shocked at the time, had to change all his plans but ended up going here. So I guess its not over until you actually get the rejection email!
Please don’t get my hopes up like this lol

With this years April 30 deadline and iu not releasing campus decisions, are we still allowed to hold multiple acceptances until we find out what campus we get?

That's a great question.

Per this website it seems that the April 30th deadline is more of a courtesy request from the AAMC than a hard and fast rule. I'd def rely more on information you've received from the individual schools you've been accepted to as to what their deadline is. They may follow the traffic rules or they may not. You could also reach out to those schools admissions offices and explain to them that you acknowledge their deadline is x date and you are still interested in their school, but you are are waiting on campus placement at another university before making your decision. Hopefully, they can extend the deadline for you. They should be understanding of this situation - it's a big decision to make, and you should be allowed to have all information available before making it.

Hey all, got the WL email. Just wanted to let all of you know that I decided to not accept the spot. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and best of luck to the other 99 on the waitlist. Hopefully me dropping will help you get in :)

Just thinking out loud here. Last March we found out that there were ~450 acceptances sent out, and as far as we know, only alternate invitations (~100) were sent out this month with no additional acceptances are rejections. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but that means our current situation has 450 acceptances and 100 alternate list people. In the past two years, IUSM has accepted 574 (353 IS/221 OOS) and 584 (346 IS/238 OOS) applicants in 2020 and 2021 respectively. With over 550 applicants receiving acceptances in the last 2 years, that would mean that the entire alternate list and then some would need to be accepted this year to match past benchmarks.

I think I respect your optimism and logical approach. Prepare for the future, but don't give up on the fight today. You can't count out what you don't know yet haha.

Just got an email at 1:20 EST letting me know that I am being placed on the alternates list. I don't know if that differs from the waitlist at all, but hopefully more news will come out regarding decisions today and tomorrow for everyone still waiting for information!

Just got the AR email tooo at 1:19 EST! OOS. Haha hope is not lost :love::love:

Alternate list email at 1:20pm EST! Not sure what the chances are at this point but this was my top choice so I’m holding onto hope 😅

I can't imagine this is the case, if they anticipated more than likely having to accept the ENTIRE alternate list why wouldn't they expand it? Are those acceptance numbers the total # of acceptances regardless of whether said acceptance was declined or accepted? Or the # of actual students who matriculated?

Just withdrew my offer of admission! Wishing you all the best :)

Reactions: 8 users
I can't imagine this is the case, if they anticipated more than likely having to accept the ENTIRE alternate list why wouldn't they expand it? Are those acceptance numbers the total # of acceptances regardless of whether said acceptance was declined or accepted? Or the # of actual students who matriculated?
I don't pretend to know the rationale behind the Adcom, these are confusing times haha. The 574 and 584 numbers are both the total number of acceptances given out in each year. Only ~365 students matriculated, so a little over 200 students declined the offer of admission.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 10 users
Just got an email at 1:20 EST letting me know that I am being placed on the alternates list. I don't know if that differs from the waitlist at all, but hopefully more news will come out regarding decisions today and tomorrow for everyone still waiting for information!
Congratulations!! Just curious, are you OOS or IS? And the Alternate List is what IUSM calls its waitlist.

For the ppl who got the second wave of WL did you guys send LOI or post interview updates ?

I could not live my life like that. Omg. Congrats to him though.
Hey all, got the WL email. Just wanted to let all of you know that I decided to not accept the spot. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and best of luck to the other 99 on the waitlist. Hopefully me dropping will help you get in :)
I withdrew my application before receiving the second wave (missed the first). I won’t be treated just anyway by a school 🤷🏽‍♂️

Good luck to those taking a waitlist spot

For the ppl who got the second wave of WL did you guys send LOI or post interview updates ?
I was in the first wave of alternate list people and I DID send a LOI after the March 15th decisions were released. I don't know for certain, but I do *think* it helped. I basically wrote them a love letter :lol:

Alternate list email at 1:20pm EST! Not sure what the chances are at this point but this was my top choice so I’m holding onto hope 😅
did either of you send an LOI