2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how strict they are on the requirement for a LOR having shadowed for 20 hours? I shadowed this DO for significantly less (4) but got to know them decently and am getting a LOR from them
It's highly preferred to have a minimum of 20 DO hours, but not impossible to get an interview or acceptance with MD-only shadowing hours or <20 DO hours.

Members don't see this ad.

It's highly preferred to have a minimum of 20 DO hours, but not impossible to get an interview or acceptance with MD-only shadowing hours or <20 DO hours.

Thank you so much for the response. I have 8 DO shadowing hours total (4 from each physician) and 100+ MD shadowing hours and was trying to determine whether it would be worth applying here

Has anyone who interviewed earlier this April hear back from admissions yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the response. I have 8 DO shadowing hours total (4 from each physician) and 100+ MD shadowing hours and was trying to determine whether it would be worth applying here
Yeah definitely apply early if you can, and just update your application once you get more DO hours.

Reactions: 1 user
If there has been no significant movement I wonder why they have still been interviewing? Seems like everyone in here is getting anxious and rightfully so... hopefully we hear some good news soon

If there has been no significant movement I wonder why they have still been interviewing? Seems like everyone in here is getting anxious and rightfully so... hopefully we hear some good news soon
It's to protect themselves from the possibility of not having a full class.

UPDATE: 4/28
From the ATSU-SOMA Student Government Association

Dear Students,

As you may know, SGA's three primary goals for this year have been to increase transparency, improve communication, and maintain strong advocacy on behalf of the students.

Thus, we would like to share with you recently discussed updates for the upcoming academic year (2021-2022). Please bear in mind that most of these changes pertain specifically to the incoming class (2025) and should not impact any of the current students.

On Friday, April 23, ATSU Admissions hosted a Zoom Meeting with the Class of 2025 in which Dr. Coty and Dr. Heath described upcoming curriculum changes and answered the students' questions. The recording from this meeting was provided by Dr. Coty and Admissions to the student body president and vice president and has been transcribed by [redacted] so that students may be up-to-date. The summary/transcript from the meeting is attached

Attachments

• ATSU-SOMA Curriculum Discussion with the Class of 2025.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: 8 users
Please everyone going to ATSU or deciding between schools. READ that document

Reactions: 2 users
so what's the point of having an individualized exam? wont you be missing out on crucial topics unless they assume youre strong in that area? lmao. wtf i dont like their assumption just bc comlex and usmle went p/f

Members don't see this ad :)
Full acceptance yesterday! Was waitlisted last month. The person on the phone was very nice and explained to me that more movement is expected in May

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, it sounds exactly like a generalized lab class. Do the reading and background before class, and you will be fine. That is pretty much how all engineering courses go. Build a library of resources to pull from, which students all do together as a group anyways. Seems like another day in class. Engr exams are always heres a scenario, now model/discuss what you know about it. Its a natural way of learning through application. Plus I hate lecture. I call it the funnel effect. The most knowledge is from the people writing the text, funnels down to the text, then funnels down very small to the lecture, then whatever the student uptakes at the end of the funnel. I have always cut out the middleman and stayed with strong textbooks, but again that was always a requirement in engineering to start with as strong of resource as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I no longer have a dog in this fight since I withdrew from my seat in favor of another school. That said, a number of my mentees will be attending SOMA and I will still be teaching in the MPH program through my own medical schooling (and may teach some of you should you decide to enroll in the DO/MPH program), so I feel compelled to say a few words about the coming curriculum changes.

First, as to why no one in admissions discussed these changes with you when you interviewed, unfortunately, they did not know. My wife sits on the admissions committee and up until a few days before the meeting with Dr. Coty, she and other members of the committee were very clearly and specifically told that no curricular changes were planned. The admissions committee did not engage in bad faith dealings with interviewees.

Regarding the PBL/case-based learning. Something like 80% of all U.S. MD and DO schools use this modality for part or all of their basic medical sciences. Apparently, when SOMA was founded, they were a 100% PBL/case-based learning school so if anything, this just gets back to their roots. The school that I will be attending, UIWSOM, uses a mix of case-based, small group, and lecture (very minor component of the curriculum) and being concerned about what that would mean for me and board exams, so I spoke with a couple of the faculty members at SOMA who have expertise in teaching case-based learning and who will be teaching you guys. The jist of what they shared with me is that students in PBL/case-based programs tend to do better, academically, in their basic sciences years, on their board exams, and they perform better as residents. They shared the following articles with me to help ease my concerns:

The effectiveness of the combined problem-based learning (PBL) and case-based learning (CBL) teaching method in the clinical practical teaching of thyroid disease

Case-Based Learning and its Application in Medical and Health-Care Fields: A Review of Worldwide Literature

Problem-based learning outcomes: ten years of experience at the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine - PubMed

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/0142159X.2012.680939

Student Performances on Step 1 and Step 2 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Following Implementation of a Problem-Based Learning Curriculum

Impact of Problem-Based Learning on Residents' Self-directed Learning

The way that Dr. Coty explained the way that he envisions PBL/case-based learning is somewhat different than what I’ve seen at other schools and it’s going to be very different than what UIWSOM does (particularly with exams) however, each and every one of you who has been admitted was admitted because the adcom saw something in you that suggested that you not only have the makings of being a great medical student but you also have the ability to adapt to the ever changing circumstances of medical school. I remember my wife speaking GLOWINGLY about a few of you. You’ve all got what it takes to do well no matter what is thrown at you and certainly, though I will be at a different school, I am willing to share what ever resources that I have if it’ll make your transitions easier (I’m already accumulating videos and other things that will help out); though I’ll be at a different school, I don’t see us as rivals. We’re all working towards the same goal. Someone above said it best, adapt and overcome. We’re all medical students now and our careers will be spent adapting and overcoming different challenges. This is just a minor hurdle on the way to our goals.

Reactions: 7 users
UPDATE: 4/28
From the ATSU-SOMA Student Government Association

Dear Students,

As you may know, SGA's three primary goals for this year have been to increase transparency, improve communication, and maintain strong advocacy on behalf of the students.

Thus, we would like to share with you recently discussed updates for the upcoming academic year (2021-2022). Please bear in mind that most of these changes pertain specifically to the incoming class (2025) and should not impact any of the current students.

On Friday, April 23, ATSU Admissions hosted a Zoom Meeting with the Class of 2025 in which Dr. Coty and Dr. Heath described upcoming curriculum changes and answered the students' questions. The recording from this meeting was provided by Dr. Coty and Admissions to the student body president and vice president and has been transcribed by [redacted] so that students may be up-to-date. The summary/transcript from the meeting is attached
Thank you so much for this! It was incredibly informative and, in a way, reassuring as a Class of 2025 student!

I no longer have a dog in this fight since I withdrew from my seat in favor of another school. That said, a number of my mentees will be attending SOMA and I will still be teaching in the MPH program through my own medical schooling (and may teach some of you should you decide to enroll in the DO/MPH program), so I feel compelled to say a few words about the coming curriculum changes.

First, as to why no one in admissions discussed these changes with you when you interviewed, unfortunately, they did not know. My wife sits on the admissions committee and up until a few days before the meeting with Dr. Coty, she and other members of the committee were very clearly and specifically told that no curricular changes were planned. The admissions committee did not engage in bad faith dealings with interviewees.

Regarding the PBL/case-based learning. Something like 80% of all U.S. MD and DO schools use this modality for part or all of their basic medical sciences. Apparently, when SOMA was founded, they were a 100% PBL/case-based learning school so if anything, this just gets back to their roots. The school that I will be attending, UIWSOM, uses a mix of case-based, small group, and lecture (very minor component of the curriculum) and being concerned about what that would mean for me and board exams, so I spoke with a couple of the faculty members at SOMA who have expertise in teaching case-based learning and who will be teaching you guys. The jist of what they shared with me is that students in PBL/case-based programs tend to do better, academically, in their basic sciences years, on their board exams, and they perform better as residents. They shared the following articles with me to help ease my concerns:

The effectiveness of the combined problem-based learning (PBL) and case-based learning (CBL) teaching method in the clinical practical teaching of thyroid disease

Case-Based Learning and its Application in Medical and Health-Care Fields: A Review of Worldwide Literature

Problem-based learning outcomes: ten years of experience at the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine - PubMed

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/0142159X.2012.680939

Student Performances on Step 1 and Step 2 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Following Implementation of a Problem-Based Learning Curriculum

Impact of Problem-Based Learning on Residents' Self-directed Learning

The way that Dr. Coty explained the way that he envisions PBL/case-based learning is somewhat different than what I’ve seen at other schools and it’s going to be very different than what UIWSOM does (particularly with exams) however, each and every one of you who has been admitted was admitted because the adcom saw something in you that suggested that you not only have the makings of being a great medical student but you also have the ability to adapt to the ever changing circumstances of medical school. I remember my wife speaking GLOWINGLY about a few of you. You’ve all got what it takes to do well no matter what is thrown at you and certainly, though I will be at a different school, I am willing to share what ever resources that I have if it’ll make your transitions easier (I’m already accumulating videos and other things that will help out); though I’ll be at a different school, I don’t see us as rivals. We’re all working towards the same goal. Someone above said it best, adapt and overcome. We’re all medical students now and our careers will be spent adapting and overcoming different challenges. This is just a minor hurdle on the way to our goals.
Thank you for always providing us with the inside scoop @PhD_to_DO Best of luck at UIWSOM!

Full acceptance yesterday! Was waitlisted last month. The person on the phone was very nice and explained to me that more movement is expected in May
We’re you accepted seat pending or waitlisted? Congrats either way!

If you don't mind sharing, what CHC site became available / were you selected for? I hear since all CHCs all full right now, so you just need to accept whatever they assign you at this point

If you don't mind sharing, what CHC site became available / were you selected for? I hear since all CHCs all full right now, so you just need to accept whatever they assign you at this point
Currently still deciding on the CHC until I put down a deposit (despite receiving the list last month). The person on the phone said I may be assigned to Pennsylvania or Ohio, but she expects a lot of movement in May so they are trying their best to get everyone into their top 3. They also use the ranking system to get everyone assigned. Hope this helps!

*She may have been using PA and Ohio as examples!

I withdrew my acceptance today. I hope it goes to one of you :)

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 4/2/2021
Conditional Acceptance 4/30/2021

Still waiting to hear back for an official acceptance.

Could anyone let me know if ATSU gives you which CHC you'll be at with the full acceptance?

Last edited:
did anyone get accepted with a 504 MCAT and low GPA? Preparing for next cycle ..and want to know my chances at receiving an interview

did anyone get accepted with a 504 MCAT and low GPA? Preparing for next cycle ..and want to know my chances at receiving an interview
My friend got accepted with a 490 mcat and not the highest gpa

saw someone on IG get accepted to this school with like a 494 MCAT and a low GPA

How low is your gpa?
saw someone on IG get accepted to this school with like a 494 MCAT and a low GPA
How low is your GPA? If by low you mean above 3.25, you're probably fine

Withdrew my acceptance pending a seat today. Best of luck to you all!

Got 7 IIs and 5 DO As w/ a 505 3.4. Your ECs and narrative will play just as big of a role (if not more) with getting an interview.

• Care
Got 7 IIs and 5 DO As w/ a 505 3.4. Your ECs and narrative will play just as big of a role (if not more) with getting an interview.
agreed w/ this. you just need decent enough stats for most DO schools. around 3.4/504 will yield you pretty good results. aside from that, if anyone is applying with sub 500 mcat and sub 3.0 gpa, you really need to have your narrative together and risk the chance of not getting in the first round.

with that being said, it's still pretty risky to apply to schools with a sub 500 mcat or sub 3.0 gpa.

Withdrawing my A pending an open seat today. Best of luck to the rest of you!

This might be a silly question, but if we are on the current waitlist pending seat, are we still able to reapply once the application for AACOMAS opens tomorrow? Just making sure there are rules that I wasn’t aware of? Would appreciate input from anyone who has has knowledge about starting a new application for this upcoming cycle. Are there limitations as to what we can and can not do? Ex applying to multiple DO schools for this next cycle when we are waitlisted currently for this cycle

This might be a silly question, but if we are on the current waitlist pending seat, are we still able to reapply once the application for AACOMAS opens tomorrow? Just making sure there are rules that I wasn’t aware of? Would appreciate input from anyone who has has knowledge about starting a new application for this upcoming cycle. Are there limitations as to what we can and can not do? Ex applying to multiple DO schools for this next cycle when we are waitlisted currently for this cycle
I think we are able to reapply because we don't know if we will be called off the waitlist, however if we do get called off the waitlist we just start in the fall.

Hi! Has anyone received an acceptance this week from “pending a seat” list? Just wondering if this week had any movement

I just received my official acceptance call this morning but declined my offer on the website. Good luck to the rest of you!!! ❤️❤️

edit: Interviewed 3/12, placed on the accepted pending space list 3/26

Reactions: 4 users
I just received my official acceptance call this morning but declined my offer on the website. Good luck to the rest of you!!! ❤️❤️

edit: Interviewed 3/12, placed on the accepted pending space list 3/26
Congrats on your other acceptance! Do you happen to know your score out of 9?

Looking at the calendar, it seems that the year starts 7/12 for class of 2025. This is very early compared to other schools right? Does anyone know where I can get a more specific detailed calendar or orientation etc. July is right around the corner and I’m getting more nervous by the day....
153A3A26-5096-4F54-AE99-93CFD26587A8.jpeg

Got a call today for a conditional acceptance!!! :’)
II submitted 2/15
Interview 4/16

asked for a score, but wasn’t told exactly my placement.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call! Interviewed 4/21

For those who have received an acceptance and accepted the offer can you please elaborate on why you chose ATSU? I'm a bit concerned about the new curriculum and the tuition. I have an offer to an MD school which is cheaper but would love to attend DO

Just got a call about a conditional acceptance.
Submitted II: 4/1/21
Interview: 4/21/21
Do you guys think I have a chance?

For those who have received an acceptance and accepted the offer can you please elaborate on why you chose ATSU? I'm a bit concerned about the new curriculum and the tuition. I have an offer to an MD school which is cheaper but would love to attend DO
In the same boat as you. Would like to hear others thoughts as well

Personally, I don't think the tuition differences should be a deal breaker. I mean, yes, ATSU is definitely on the more expensive side, but a large number of DO schools are private and cost at least 50k/year for tuition alone. Personally, I don't think paying 60k/year for tuition is significantly different, especially when you consider the total cost for tuition and living expenses is going to still be around 90k/year at ATSU and 75-80k/year at most other DO schools. My point is that saving a few extra K per year is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

If you want to learn at a DO school and are okay with a PBL-focused program, and the CHC model, then ATSU would be a good option. I think MD or DO would be great if you're interested in primary care. If you want a competitive specialty are are unsure about primary care, then you should go MD to keep your options open. Without knowing more info, I would recommend going MD, and not looking back.