Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were actual people crying during my exam today, it was that bad.

For perspective, that hasn’t happened since physiology. Easily the hardest exam of the semester, if not the year

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

For perspective, that hasn’t happened since physiology. Easily the hardest exam of the semester, if not the year

I had a different radiology professor I'm pretty sure. I remember it being quite unpleasant, but damn.

Oh my gosh. I didn’t even notice. I honestly thought I was just stupid and everyone else was doing fine. I don’t think I’ve ever looked back over a multiple choice exam and not been able to say I was confident about a single answer. Well, today’s the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m about to plunge into the exciting world of home/condo ownership. The owners of the condo I’ve been living in the last four years are looking to sell and I hate moving and like the location so it feels right. Honestly, I’ve been looking at local properties for years so it’s a good deal price and location wise.

If there aren’t any bumps with inspection or financing over the next couple weeks, I’ll take over the place at the end of my lease in June. I’m trying to restrain myself on the chance things don’t work out, but I’m also very excited to have a space that I can make my own.

Reactions: 7 users
So are y'all able to do externships in your vacation blocks or is that not allowed? Like I'm sure you'd want a break at some point but if you wanted to fill up some of your vacations with externships would that be allowed?
We get 4 weeks of vacation, but we can convert 2 to an externship block, which is what I'm doing so that I can do two 4 week externships total. They make us take at least 2 weeks of vacation here, but you can do whatever you want with it, so if you want to do another externship or something you can, you just won't get credit for it.

We get 4 weeks of vacation, but we can convert 2 to an externship block, which is what I'm doing so that I can do two 4 week externships total. They make us take at least 2 weeks of vacation here, but you can do whatever you want with it, so if you want to do another externship or something you can, you just won't get credit for it.

TAKE THE VACATION

It's like kids asking how they should study in the summer before they start. No, stupid, you have the break - use it. Haha

Reactions: 5 users
Second year done. Tougher than first year but I enjoyed the content much more. Turns out internal med is really cool. Finally starting on clinics next week!
That’s what I’ve heard about 2nd year as well. I’m excited for it though because I thought a lot of what we learned this year was BORING and so I was not motivated to study for anything.

One more exam. I would like to die now, thank you
Oh hey that exam just came back graded and I got an A!!!!!!!!!

Anesthesia came back as a C so **** that class but I’ve been doing really great, grades wise this semester

Reactions: 6 users
I'd like y'all to know, plague was on my exam today, and I was a very very happy person. I don't know why I love plague so much but <3333

Reactions: 6 users
TAKE THE VACATION

It's like kids asking how they should study in the summer before they start. No, stupid, you have the break - use it. Haha
Oh I'm still taking 2 weeks (though spending one of those at a conference)

Also two extra weeks at a zoo in my hometown was worth the switch to me haha

Oh hey that exam just came back graded and I got an A!!!!!!!!!

Anesthesia came back as a C so **** that class but I’ve been doing really great, grades wise this semester

I am going to be pretty much straight Bs this semester except for anesthesia which is going to be a C. Final for it is tomorrow and I don't need much to at least pass the class. I spent too much time commuting and skipping class to do spays and neuters at the humane society.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I made a C in anesthesia too... but hell, I don't remember. I definitely made a C in the rotation. And hated it. A lot.

But I run the SpO2 monitor at work like a baws. Haven't read an ECG in 4 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like y'all to know, plague was on my exam today, and I was a very very happy person. I don't know why I love plague so much but <3333

I wrote my paper, in my epidemiology/OneHealth course, on the plague this quarter!!! The fact that I was able to do that I was SUPER excited about.

Anesthesiology is hard and fairly subjective! I was lucky to pull out with a B (LA anesthesiology killed me especially). But you guys also had it with some SUPER hard classes!!!
You’re so close!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I’m done done done done done done done with second year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for 3 months of relaxing, traveling, and shadowing ER clinicians and surgeons!

Reactions: 13 users
I’m done done done done done done done with second year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for 3 months of relaxing, traveling, and shadowing ER clinicians and surgeons!

Me too! I survived! I am so looking forward to working this summer and hanging out with the family.

Reactions: 4 users
Fantastic! Good jorb, guys!!!!
monkeydance

So I didn't know where to post this, but my school has started an income sharing agreement program to help pay for college. Our DVM program counts. What do you all think? I emailed our financial advisor to get some answers.

Hey hey hey! I got to shadow a super awesome emergency/ specialty hospital yesterday and it was super cool!

At the end, the doctor I shadowed and I were talking, and he said that I did a really good job!!!!! He said that I answered more questions than he would’ve thought for someone who just finished their second year, and overall I did a great job today!

He also told me that he was going to go ahead and hold on to my CV for the future (they don’t really do open job applications, it’s more of you have to know someone to get the position), and I could not be more excited!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
My next adventure is a bachelorette party, then fly to Madrid for the weekend for the UEFA Champions League Match, and come back for the wedding. Then spending a week with boarded surgeons (coincidentally they’re in the same building I was just in yesterday!)

Then Chicago for a graduation party.
3 weeks at this one emergency/ specialty hospital (2 weeks of emergency, 1 week of neuro)

Then a week at the clinic that I started at.
Then vacation- huge family cruise.
Then wrap up the summer with 3 weeks at the emergency hospital!

So far I’m really loving my last summer break ever! :love:

I'm still not done :cryi: everyone else in the school is done with the year and we still have this cumulative hanging over our heads and that final sucked so bad. Is it over?

Umm... hey guys....

Thanks guys! At least I'm still a vet student....

I almost verbalized the word **** out loud during an exam in vet school....it was that bad. Like 100% of the class was 50% or less done with the exam with only 15 minutes remaining (of a 2 and a half hour exam).

I've come a long way since being admitted c/o 2018....

Cumulative is Friday, my general feeling about what I've learned the past two years.

Friend: what's *insert gibberish*
Me: what? I've literally never heard that before in my life.
Other friend: you taught me this last year it's *insert other gibberish*
Me: :bang:

I've learned nothing, I know nothing, I'm going to fail out and be a hobo

Cumulative is Friday, my general feeling about what I've learned the past two years.

Friend: what's *insert gibberish*
Me: what? I've literally never heard that before in my life.
Other friend: you taught me this last year it's *insert other gibberish*
Me: :bang:

I've learned nothing, I know nothing, I'm going to fail out and be a hobo

That's how I felt in school and to some extent still do in practice. See one, do one, teach one is how I learn best so if I haven't seen it in clinics or practice, I have a tough time remembering it

So I started my summer research today. It's not even an hour into the day and I want to give an update on how this summer is looking.

This morning I woke up early because I didn't have any direction as to when to show up to work. I get to work and no one is there and I don't have keys so I'm locked out of the office I'm supposed to be using. I wait in a hallway until some random passerby let's me in. Then I realized I didn't have any of the ID number for any of the dogs I'm supposed to be working on because my PI never sent them to me. The lab manager gets me set up at a computer and I can't login without going back and asking for help. Finally I go to use the software I thought had been purchased and turns out it's a few weeks out :bang:

Everything has been rectified but the software and it'll be a few days until I get keys. Until then I'm just going to paw at doors like I'm a lonely stray asking to be let inside :laugh:

So I started my summer research today. It's not even an hour into the day and I want to give an update on how this summer is looking.

This morning I woke up early because I didn't have any direction as to when to show up to work. I get to work and no one is there and I don't have keys so I'm locked out of the office I'm supposed to be using. I wait in a hallway until some random passerby let's me in. Then I realized I didn't have any of the ID number for any of the dogs I'm supposed to be working on because my PI never sent them to me. The lab manager gets me set up at a computer and I can't login without going back and asking for help. Finally I go to use the software I thought had been purchased and turns out it's a few weeks out :bang:

Everything has been rectified but the software and it'll be a few days until I get keys. Until then I'm just going to paw at doors like I'm a lonely stray asking to be let inside :laugh:

This is like academia in a nutshell lololol. I can relate to this spiritually.

Whats you're research?

I've gotten to learn and do such cool stuff this summer and make connections with awesome faculty. It's the first summer in a long time that I haven't spent in a clinic, and I'm having a lot of fun!

This is like academia in a nutshell lololol. I can relate to this spiritually.

Whats you're research?
3D modeling of the spine comparing vertebral abnormalities associated with chondrodystrophy. It's really cool I just want to be able to do the things. Instead I spent 90% of my day waiting for CT images to load

• Love
3D modeling of the spine comparing vertebral abnormalities associated with chondrodystrophy. It's really cool I just want to be able to do the things. Instead I spent 90% of my day waiting for CT images to load
LOLOL. No way! We are so on the same page. I'm modeling and printing and not spines but other bones but stillllll. What program are you using? Mimics...or?

Last edited:
LOLOL. No way! We are so on the same page. I'm modeling and printing and not spines but other bones but stillllll. What program are you using? Mimics...or?
Mimics is on order lol right now I'm using 3D slicer and it is AWFUL. But go you! High five you high achiever you ;)

Sitting here waiting (im)patiently for a call back from a clinic as I try to get myself into the workforce for the summer. Almost everyone tells me I should relax and enjoy the time off, but I've been off since April 26th (with a small reboot May 13th-22nd) and just want to get working and be useful again. I need to get my summer started! I can't get loans (like literally can't... long story) and my tuition isn't going to pay itself!

Someone needs to remind me that vets who own and run clinics basically on their own are busy people, and that it's been less than a week.

Sitting here waiting (im)patiently for a call back from a clinic as I try to get myself into the workforce for the summer. Almost everyone tells me I should relax and enjoy the time off, but I've been off since April 26th (with a small reboot May 13th-22nd) and just want to get working and be useful again. I need to get my summer started! I can't get loans (like literally can't... long story) and my tuition isn't going to pay itself!

Someone needs to remind me that vets who own and run clinics basically on their own are busy people, and that it's been less than a week.
Vets who own and run clinics basically on their own are busy people and it's been less than a week.

Sorry you’re still waiting to hear back

• Love
I had the weirdest dream last night that for some reason OSU changed their vet school admission requirements and decided that in order to stay in vet school, I had to go take freshman Biology (I didn’t have to take it because of the AP exam)

so I, a 22 year old (now third year) vet student, had to take a summer biology course for 18 year old freshmen. Easiest freaking class I’ve ever taken lol. The final exam was one fill in the blank question.

The _________________ is the powerhouse of the cell.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I had the weirdest dream last night that for some reason OSU changed their vet school admission requirements and decided that in order to stay in vet school, I had to go take freshman Biology (I didn’t have to take it because of the AP exam)

so I, a 22 year old (now third year) vet student, had to take a summer biology course for 18 year old freshmen. Easiest freaking class I’ve ever taken lol. The final exam was one fill in the blank question.

The _________________ is the powerhouse of the cell.

It wasn’t bad there, but it wasn’t THAT easy. Lol.

If Rikin is still there, I’m sure his Armenian accent has not gotten any easier to understand.

Also, I took Botany when I was ehh, 26? It was pretty amusing to listen to all the other kids fuss about how much they had to memorize (spoiler: it was so easy they had no clue). One was talking about taking organic chemistry over the summer. I just laughed...

Golgi apparatus. Obviously.
Pretty sure it’s the smooth endoplasmic reticulum.

It wasn’t bad there, but it wasn’t THAT easy. Lol.

If Rikin is still there, I’m sure his Armenian accent has not gotten any easier to understand.
Oh I had to take it at my community college because I was still doing vet stuff over the summer. I took physics 1 there a couple summers ago, and it was really easy, just time consuming because it was 4 hours a day Monday through Thursday from 6-10 pm while I worked a full time tech job.