Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so I’m looking for another externship (private practice ideally, SA ER focused w/ an internship program). :laugh:
any on your list of places you'd really like to intern/match........

a friend of mine is at a ER place with some sort of mentor program in Syracuse. I'll keep thinking....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We're writing finals online right now. One of my classmates made a panicked post on the group chat this morning because she couldn't access the exam. Except that she wasn't sure what day it was and was trying to write the wrong one. I feel like she's all of us right now!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're writing finals online right now. One of my classmates made a panicked post on the group chat this morning because she couldn't access the exam. Except that she wasn't sure what day it was and was trying to write the wrong one. I feel like she's all of us right now!
It's funny because it's so relatable (this morning I freaked because I couldn't get on zoom... nether could ~70% of my classmates)

• Wow
any on your list of places you'd really like to intern/match........

a friend of mine is at a ER place with some sort of mentor program in Syracuse. I'll keep thinking....
YES I have four hospitals that I’m looking at to match (so far). I have externships at three of those four places! I’ll pm you the locations- I just don’t want to say them all here bc I like the teensiest pretend of anonymity

Private practiceeeeee

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
VICE cardiology rounds were hilarious today. 10/10 recommend.

My school did really try to make a virtual white coat ceremony special, and it was appreciated.

Reactions: 7 users
We were supposed to start on May 4th. Now it's officially June 29th. But maybe May 18th.

I have no idea WTF is happening any more!

Members don't see this ad :)
When your large animal grade is better than either of your small animal grades and you have to question your life.
Luckily I don't have this problem, I say as my elective livestock class is the hardest class I'm in right now and I need to study for it to pass the test I have to take in the next two days :cryi:

• Sad
It's okay. Vet prep is making me feel better about my life choices as I do substantially better on dog questions and suck at everything else. :p

I am still doing surprisingly well in horses

I feel like online clinics shouldn't be as tiring as it is, but there's something about spending basically all day on zoom that is it's own brand of tiring.

I, of course, wish we were in the hospital, but I actually feel like I'm learn a lot, so there's that...

Reactions: 8 users
I feel like online clinics shouldn't be as tiring as it is, but there's something about spending basically all day on zoom that is it's own brand of tiring.

I, of course, wish we were in the hospital, but I actually feel like I'm learn a lot, so there's that...
It’s because you’re looking at a screen all day :( it’s a real thing called Computer Vision Syndrome

• Sad

I feel bad for the professors. They keep asking questions and get so many blank looks on Zoom. It is nicer being in this kind of small group format though.

• Sad
I feel bad for the professors. They keep asking questions and get so many blank looks on Zoom. It is nicer being in this kind of small group format though.

the rotation we’re on has been pretty interactive...the first day people were a little quieter and nervous but it’s gotten a lot better and people are pretty willing to talk and/or use the chat

I feel bad for the professors. They keep asking questions and get so many blank looks

Welcome to rotations, where everyone is too afraid to say anything for fear of being wrong :laugh:

All joking aside, especially when you first start clinics, this is how it will go. It's worth speaking up even if you're unsure because professors appreciate students who at least try to interact and solve problems. And you'd be surprised how often you're right!

Welcome to rotations, where everyone is too afraid to say anything for fear of being wrong :laugh:

All joking aside, especially when you first start clinics, this is how it will go. It's worth speaking up even if you're unsure because professors appreciate students who at least try to interact and solve problems. And you'd be surprised how often you're right!
I struggle doing this because in my last rotation a lot of the people were shy and I wanted them to have a chance to speak. Even if I knew the answer, I would let it hang because I can't be the only one speaking. Sometimes someone else would pipe up and others the prof would answer their own questions. I'm trying to find that balance.

Reactions: 3 users
It's worth speaking up even if you're unsure because professors appreciate students who at least try to interact and solve problems. And you'd be surprised how often you're right!

For real. There were many times on clinics where I thought I was pulling something out of a certain bodily orifice and it turned out I was actually pulling something very legitimate out of my brain:laugh:

And there were plenty of times I was wrong, too - and that’s okay.

• Haha
I struggle doing this because in my last rotation a lot of the people were shy and I wanted them to have a chance to speak. Even if I knew the answer, I would let it hang because I can't be the only one speaking. Sometimes someone else would pipe up and others the prof would answer their own questions. I'm trying to find that balance.

What’s really awkward is when the one who likes to talk is like the one who is always wrong... and no one wants to be the know it all that is always correcting their peers... so the whole group just silently facepalms uncomfortably

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
On the balance thing...I am more in the camp of "let's all capsize the boat in the harbor now, so that when it happens for real out on the open ocean, we don't all panic and die."

Helping people unlock their individual potential and then leveraging that momentum to build high functioning teams is one of my passions, so if anyone ever wants to talk about this stuff (or have a debate about why you think I'm wrong or lodge a complaint about how many business buzzwords I just used in one sentence), I'm game. Please PM me so I don't take over this thread.

Ditch the brand of politeness that results in everyone hushing up and sitting in collective silence. It seems empathetic, and I know that's where it's coming from, but in my mind, it doesn't accomplish the intended goal of promoting equal participation.

We help others the most when we create safe conditions for everyone to take risks and then encouraging them when they step it up. Allowing people ample space to come into their own seems like the nice thing to do, but it places a limit on the success that could've been collectively achieved in the end.

Not only does the deference option allow the least comfortable people in a group to sink further into the background and become more lost -- if everyone stays quiet to defer to each other, that becomes the new norm. Eventually, individual & team growth will enter stasis, because there is no drive to try anything new when everyone is comfortable with the status quo. Social culture in a school/workplace/whatever establishes itself quickly, and it's harder to break out of an established pattern once it exists.

For those of us on clinics, this is the time when the stakes are lowest. If people don't feel comfortable blurting out the wrong answer now, what will happen when we're 10 months into this and the difficulty has ramped up? Practice where you want to be before things get hard, not when you're already there.

As an example: I am an introvert IRL (I PROMISE). I do not advocate for myself. There is a lot of personal guilt and self-shaming that goes on. But as much as possible, I have been opening my mouth and blurting out ridiculous **** you wouldn't believe on these rotations so far, because I know that's the fastest and best way for me to become better doctor. And if I am wrong a lot (which, spoiler -- I am)...so what? Worst case, all my mistakes start to blend together because my memory is honestly not that good. Best case, maybe it will help a few of my friends realize it's ok to look like a dummy sometimes, and no one's going to laugh at them or think less of them for trying things out in a learning environment.

For people who are already confident and/or extroverted -- go further to connect with people who are not there yet. Each clinical rotation is essentially a mini-team, so treat it like a team. Reach out to people now -- while things are still in a formative, low pressure state -- and be genuinely encouraging.

Ask them questions about their area of expertise. Showing vulnerability and asking for help is a great way of empowering people while engaging their interest. If someone does chime in when there is group-wide freeze, thank them afterwards for taking one for the team. Even if they couldn't come up with the right answer, the rest of you weren't brave enough to try, but they were, and that's pretty cool. Compliment your peers when they do something truly awesome. Have their back if they don't get enough credit for the work they are putting in. Be positive and don't betray people's trust by discounting their contributions or abilities, either in person or behind their back.

I know everyone here is kind and uplifting and supportive because I see you all demonstrate those qualities all the time. Use them to be a leader IRL, too.

I'm not usually into the "Live, Love, Laugh" style of home decorating, but my best friend in vet school has a quote by the poet Mary Oliver hanging prominently in her room, and I love it. She asked a group of students:

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

We get one shot to go through clinics. Even with all this covid-chaos-zoom-life-gobbledy-gook going on, we have been given an incredible gift and we have worked hard to get here. It is precious and it is for sure wild, and the more we encourage each other to let it get wild and treat it as precious, the richer we will all be in the end.

...this may be one of the sappiest sounding things I've written in a long time, especially since the comments that triggered it were just chill observations about the etiquette of video conferencing ...but that's why it's in a spoiler. :angelic:

I wish typing burned calories haha

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
On the balance thing...I am more in the camp of "let's all capsize the boat in the harbor now, so that when it happens for real out on the open ocean, we don't all panic and die."

Helping people unlock their individual potential and then leveraging that momentum to build high functioning teams is one of my passions, so if anyone ever wants to talk about this stuff (or have a debate about why you think I'm wrong or lodge a complaint about how many business buzzwords I just used in one sentence), I'm game. Please PM me so I don't take over this thread.

Ditch the brand of politeness that results in everyone hushing up and sitting in collective silence. It seems empathetic, and I know that's where it's coming from, but in my mind, it doesn't accomplish the intended goal of promoting equal participation.

We help others the most when we create safe conditions for everyone to take risks and then encouraging them when they step it up. Allowing people ample space to come into their own seems like the nice thing to do, but it places a limit on the success that could've been collectively achieved in the end.

Not only does the deference option allow the least comfortable people in a group to sink further into the background and become more lost -- if everyone stays quiet to defer to each other, that becomes the new norm. Eventually, individual & team growth will enter stasis, because there is no drive to try anything new when everyone is comfortable with the status quo. Social culture in a school/workplace/whatever establishes itself quickly, and it's harder to break out of an established pattern once it exists.

For those of us on clinics, this is the time when the stakes are lowest. If people don't feel comfortable blurting out the wrong answer now, what will happen when we're 10 months into this and the difficulty has ramped up? Practice where you want to be before things get hard, not when you're already there.

As an example: I am an introvert IRL (I PROMISE). I do not advocate for myself. There is a lot of personal guilt and self-shaming that goes on. But as much as possible, I have been opening my mouth and blurting out ridiculous **** you wouldn't believe on these rotations so far, because I know that's the fastest and best way for me to become better doctor. And if I am wrong a lot (which, spoiler -- I am)...so what? Worst case, all my mistakes start to blend together because my memory is honestly not that good. Best case, maybe it will help a few of my friends realize it's ok to look like a dummy sometimes, and no one's going to laugh at them or think less of them for trying things out in a learning environment.

For people who are already confident and/or extroverted -- go further to connect with people who are not there yet. Each clinical rotation is essentially a mini-team, so treat it like a team. Reach out to people now -- while things are still in a formative, low pressure state -- and be genuinely encouraging.

Ask them questions about their area of expertise. Showing vulnerability and asking for help is a great way of empowering people while engaging their interest. If someone does chime in when there is group-wide freeze, thank them afterwards for taking one for the team. Even if they couldn't come up with the right answer, the rest of you weren't brave enough to try, but they were, and that's pretty cool. Compliment your peers when they do something truly awesome. Have their back if they don't get enough credit for the work they are putting in. Be positive and don't betray people's trust by discounting their contributions or abilities, either in person or behind their back.

I know everyone here is kind and uplifting and supportive because I see you all demonstrate those qualities all the time. Use them to be a leader IRL, too.

I'm not usually into the "Live, Love, Laugh" style of home decorating, but my best friend in vet school has a quote by the poet Mary Oliver hanging prominently in her room, and I love it. She asked a group of students:

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

We get one shot to go through clinics. Even with all this covid-chaos-zoom-life-gobbledy-gook going on, we have been given an incredible gift and we have worked hard to get here. It is precious and it is for sure wild, and the more we encourage each other to let it get wild and treat it as precious, the richer we will all be in the end.

...this may be one of the sappiest sounding things I've written in a long time, especially since the comments that triggered it were just chill observations about the etiquette of video conferencing ...but that's why it's in a spoiler. :angelic:

I wish typing burned calories haha
I agree with most of that however I just need to point out that there is a certain point at which you're just blurting out answers and not giving other people a chance to even think or formulating an answer. I think there is a balance. I spit out answers that are wrong all the time. I have no problem letting there be silence for a few seconds before saying what I think because we are being evaluated and the evaluations will be negative if I'm overly dominating the conversation. Like I said I think it's a balance.

For real. There were many times on clinics where I thought I was pulling something out of a certain bodily orifice and it turned out I was actually pulling something very legitimate out of my brain:laugh:

And there were plenty of times I was wrong, too - and that’s okay.
And being wrong is a great way to learn things tbh. If you screw up a differential and look them up after, that's gonna stick in your head better than just throwing out one and getting it right and moving along.

And nobody cares. Are you judging your classmates for getting **** wrong occasionally? No? Then they're not judging you. And if they are **** those people, lol, this is why you're in school.

I agree with most of that however I just need to point out that there is a certain point at which you're just blurting out answers and not giving other people a chance to even think or formulating an answer. I think there is a balance. I spit out answers that are wrong all the time. I have no problem letting there be silence for a few seconds before saying what I think because we are being evaluated and the evaluations will be negative if I'm overly dominating the conversation. Like I said I think it's a balance.
Very true. In reading your original comment, I was focused most on the part where you said that the clinicians end up answering their own questions sometimes and how you didn't want to take away the shy crowd's chance to speak, so that's mostly the part I was responding to.

Regardless, you're right that there is always going to be a group dynamic balancing act as well as an individual one. No one is perfect. Maybe the loud, overbearing people talk more when they're nervous, which is as common as withdrawing from nerves. They have an opportunity now to practice active listening and reflection, which is an equally normal, important, and valid skill to try to encourage people to hone in clinics, imo.

Embarrassment is an excellent way to promote memory. Honestly one of the best ways to learn. It burns **** into your memory like no other. Guilt too, but hopefully that doesn’t happen as often.

Very true. In reading your original comment, I was focused most on the part where you said that the clinicians end up answering their own questions sometimes and how you didn't want to take away the shy crowd's chance to speak, so that's mostly the part I was responding to.

Regardless, you're right that there is always going to be a group dynamic balancing act as well as an individual one. No one is perfect. Maybe the loud, overbearing people talk more when they're nervous, which is as common as withdrawing from nerves. They have an opportunity now to practice active listening and reflection, which is an equally normal, important, and valid skill to try to encourage people to hone in clinics, imo.
Yeah I definitely get that. There was one clinician who if you didn't respond in half a second just plowed on. It was kind of jarring. But I totally understand that.

• Wow

A year later and I still haven't fully learned this...always kick myself when the correct answer is in my head but I don't say it

I just can't stand it when we sit there for 20 seconds with no one saying anything. Someone just answer the question so that we can pack more learning in already!

I just can't stand it when we sit there for 20 seconds with no one saying anything. Someone just answer the question so that we can pack more learning in already!

Or GTFO and go home! Rounding at 7 pm and staring at each other doesnt work well.

Some of our clinicians handled this by directing questions to specific people during online rounds. I thought it was a good way to avoid the uncomfortable silences or people talking over each other. It's more stressful being put on the spot, and it sucks if you keep getting asked the one thing you don't know, but it gives everyone a more equal chance to talk.

I watched our 2020 graduation ceremony this afternoon and its really bittersweet. I really wish I could have been on that list. Instead, I'm doing virtual clinics and NAVLE prep. But as much as I wish I was graduating on time, I really love my class in a way I didnt love 2020. Conflicting emotions for sure.

Really curious about other schools curriculum regarding business, management and salary negotiations. Do other schools teach this?
Yes but it's awful and everyone hates the person who teaches it. For us it was a mandatory portion of our Success & Wellness (later One Health & Wellness) course, they brought in a couple, uh, experts, a few times a semester to talk about those topics. I think the issue was they tended to focus a lot on like, eventual practice ownership even in some of the really early lectures, when they probably should have been focusing on personal finances and loans and things at that time. I preferred the speakers we had in transitions just before clinics, and the one (actually the guy from VIN) who spoke to us at a conference we all went to. During transitions there was a lot more focus on salary negotiation.

It's different in the new curriculum though. There is a half credit business course fall of second year, i believe someone different is teaching it, though I don't know anything about the content. They will still have the seminars during transitions and the annual conference as well.

Outside of the curriculum there's also VBMA of course.

Really curious about other schools curriculum regarding business, management and salary negotiations. Do other schools teach this?
When I went through ISU, we had a veterinary law course and part of that was contracts and contract negotiations. We did a simulated negotiation with our peers though, so not with people who had any actual experience in negotiating a contract. I found it moderately helpful, in that it was good to discuss what's normally covered in employment contracts for vets in the course, and the great variation in how pay works.. Probably the most helpful part was that it put us in contact with a lawyer who could help us review contracts when we started looking for jobs. Except that he just happened to be the contract lawyer for the place that wanted to hire me, so... not as helpful as it could have been.

VBMA did a lot of lunch presentations, and though I wasn't a member I heard that it was very helpful for those who wanted to go into practice ownership. And there was actually a practice management elective that I did take and did not like as it was a guy talking about his boutique small animal business, and weird little tips about how to attract and keep clients, rather than things that would be more generalizable and helpful.

We have business courses, but they arent required. We just have an extensive business elective track and very active VBMA. I cant speak to their quality cause I didnt take any.

We had a required one credit business course during third year, it was okay but as I recall we spent a lot of time on some rather dry accounting concepts, but rushed through things like personal finance and loan repayment plans. We had a two hour lecture on contract negotiation from a guest speaker (Dr. Lance Roasa) that was decently helpful, although I wish we could have revisited the topic in some way closer to when most of us were actually in the process of signing contracts. I was pretty involved with VBMA, which was helpful.