Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We had a required one credit business course during third year, it was okay but as I recall we spent a lot of time on some rather dry accounting concepts, but rushed through things like personal finance and loan repayment plans. We had a two hour lecture on contract negotiation from a guest speaker (Dr. Lance Roasa) that was decently helpful, although I wish we could have revisited the topic in some way closer to when most of us were actually in the process of signing contracts. I was pretty involved with VBMA, which was helpful.
We had this guy come in too! We have a professional development class the first half of third year, they probably condense about 40 hours of class into a few weeks because we do that instead of morning clinics in the beginning of this semester.

We talked about contracts with him, we had the VIN guy come in to talk about student loans and payment plans, and we talked about things like personal wellness in our professional lives and how to create projected budgets for out of school, saving for retirement, investing, etc. I overall found it to be a helpful class, but I know many of my classmates found it overwhelming and stressful to talk about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We had a VIN guy come in too, and our professor promised it would be the most useful four hour of our life. He bet us a beer. But seeing how my background is in finance, I desperately wanted to email him and tell him he owed me a beer :laugh:

Really curious about other schools curriculum regarding business, management and salary negotiations. Do other schools teach this?
Yes, we have our “professional development” course the entire first three years

Last edited:
  • Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
We had a VIN guy come in too, and our professor promised it would be the most useful four hour of our life. He bet us a beer. But seeing how my background is in finance, I desperately wanted to email him and tell him he owed me a beer :laugh:

I really liked vin guy, but I definitely don’t have a background in finance lol

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah we had Lance Roasa come in too. The other guy who came during transitions was Mark something or other. And then Tony Bartels spoke to us at the TVMA conference. He just recently did a loan repayment webinar on VIN that was a refresher on all that. I bet VIN has some contract negotiation resources too.

Reactions: 1 users
We're all 4th years now! Crazy :D

I lost Corky at the beginning of this year to HSA. With hindsight I believe all the little signs leading up to the big rupture was likely HSA, but all the non-specifics got lumped under different health issues.

He underwent a splenectomy with thorough imaging and everything showed no visual metastasis. I was ready to start chemo and hopefully finish out vet school with him by my side. 3 weeks later he ruptured again and that was it.

Then COVID hit. 2020's definitely been weird, but I hope you all are healthy and well. We'll get through this.

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users

I lost Corky at the beginning of this year to HSA. With hindsight I believe all the little signs leading up to the big rupture was likely HSA, but all the non-specifics got lumped under different health issues.

He underwent a splenectomy with thorough imaging and everything showed no visual metastasis. I was ready to start chemo and hopefully finish out vet school with him by my side. 3 weeks later he ruptured again and that was it.

Then COVID hit. 2020's definitely been weird, but I hope you all are healthy and well. We'll get through this.

I’m so sorry. HSA is the worst. Not fair.

I'm so sorry. Such a ****ty horrible cancer.

Feeling pretty bummed today. The externship that I pretty much designed my fourth year schedule around got canceled for the fall. Not really surprised, I guess, but sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I've been off school for like 10 weeks now. Finally starting online clinics tomorrow in a few days and hoping it goes well (my school started 3 weeks ago but I was shoved into vacation for the first block).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've been off school for like 10 weeks now. Finally starting online clinics tomorrow and hoping it goes well (my school started 3 weeks ago but I was shoved into vacation for the first block).

Your starting online clinics on a Saturday?

Members don't see this ad :)
First rotation block done! Online isn’t too bad so far.

• Haha
I don't know why I said "tomorrow" because in my head I definitely said "Monday" although actually I think it might technically be Tuesday so I would have been wrong anyways?
It's ok I get the days mixed up and somehow think it's Friday every day of the week except Friday

• Haha
First rotation block done! Online isn’t too bad so far.

I'll finish up my first online rotation tomorrow when I do the quizzes/cases. Overall, I do feel like I learned things, but it was rough and it sounds like the majority of the class had struggle bus feels.

I'll finish up my first online rotation tomorrow when I do the quizzes/cases. Overall, I do feel like I learned things, but it was rough and it sounds like the majority of the class had struggle bus feels.

Boo. just the set-up or content? Everything? lol

I don't know why I wrote "tomorrow" because in my head I definitely said "Monday" although actually I think it might technically be Tuesday so I would have been wrong anyways?
Haha half of me figured you just meant Monday and half of me wondered about the cruelty of your school lol

• Haha
Haha half of me figured you just meant Monday and half of me wondered about the cruelty of your school lol

Idk man, I might not consider it a cruelty at this point. 10 weeks of unwanted vacation kinda sucks.

I just my spend time crying about my poor accuracy on vet prep and inching my way through a palliative care certification that was supposed to take 6 hours but will probably take me 5 million at the rate I'm going on it. Some online class would be welcome at this point. :p

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Boo. just the set-up or content? Everything? lol

A mix of both. I think the content suffered because of the set up. Vids on radiology for 1.5-2.0 hours, and then cases that literally had nothing to do with said videos and we got based mostly on signalment and passed lectures. I would have preferred assigned reading from a textbook at that point.

@SportPonies may have other input

A mix of both. I think the content suffered because of the set up. Vids on radiology for 1.5-2.0 hours, and then cases that literally had nothing to do with said videos and we got based mostly on signalment and passed lectures. I would have preferred assigned reading from a textbook at that point.

Oh yeah that doesnt sound the greatest...videos would suck. I just had radiology too. We had one physics review but other than that all other sessions were purely case discussion. We had to write-up the 5 morning cases in our groups of five and the afternoon cases were just all discussion where someone agreed to present (there was usually 10 cases in the afternoon).

what do you have next?

Idk man, I might not consider it a cruelty at this point. 10 weeks of unwanted vacation kinda sucks.

I just my spend time crying about my poor accuracy on vet prep and inching my way through a palliative care certification that was supposed to take 6 hours but will probably take me 5 million at the rate I'm going on it. Some online class would be welcome at this point. :p

yeah that would suck. I had about three weeks of vacation (one was technically orientation), and that was more than enough

Yeah, I'd agree with this assessment. Definitely learned things, but definitely didn't learn as much as I could have. Had the videos and cases lined up better and I'd be given a chance to apply the knowledge I learned from the videos, I think it could have been very effective. I actually learn quite well in a self-paced setting like that.

As it was, though.... not my favorite. Many of the videos seemed too basic. Some glossed over things that seemed more important. And then the cases... asked questions that we had never learned in the videos? I had to dig out my (not required) textbook and read a bunch to really feel like I was gaining knowledge from it.

Awww I’m so sorry w2vm, I loved seeing pictures of Corky. I’m sorry for your loss.

SO what do we think of ICVA moving the beginning of NAVLE window to September 1st (98 days from today).

because I’m uhh panicking and our school doesn’t let us pick what day we do navle on. They pick it and then tell us.............

so...

A7DA2B74-8124-481F-BCF8-7AFE6B99A55B.gif

SO what do we think of ICVA moving the beginning of NAVLE window to September 1st (98 days from today).

because I’m uhh panicking and our school doesn’t let us pick what day we do navle on. They pick it and then tell us.............

so...

View attachment 307892

wait what?

so...

View attachment 307892

They did what now?

so...

View attachment 307892
Whoa, that's interesting, is the idea to allow there to be fewer people taking it each date? I know people who were supposed to take it in April keep having dates canceled due to test centers being closed or limiting the amount of people in there, and have been struggling to reschedule it. If it makes you feel better I didn't start intensely studying until September/October, only completed I think 42% of VetPrep, and passed no problem! You've got plenty of time!

so...

View attachment 307892

I believe we get to pick, so imma still going to pick November or December lol. I wonder if my class knows this.

Although I do like the idea of monthly score reporting vs just waiting for the one day late January
I wonder if you don't pass it early in the period if they'll let you sign up to take it again later in the same period, since you'd find out before it's over :thinking:

• Hmm
I wonder if you don't pass it early in the period if they'll let you sign up to take it again later in the same period, since you'd find out before it's over :thinking:
you know, that’s an excellent point! I’m leaning towards no, because that would defeat the purpose of trying to stagger everyone out and minimize number of people testing at one time, but it’s interesting!

Meh that’s three months away from the first testing date, plenty of time :laugh:

I didn’t start studying until the beginning of October and only did 25% of VetPrep.

As long as schools tell students what dates they need to schedule early, it’s plenty of time.

Meh that’s three months away from the first testing date, plenty of time :laugh:

I didn’t start studying until the beginning of October and only did 25% of VetPrep.

As long as schools tell students what dates they need to schedule early, it’s plenty of time.
I forgot that we approached things almost exactly the same haha

• Love
One of my review questions was how many cows are in estrus at one time in a pen of 122 cows. I was like...... well.

• Haha

Oh definitely. I’ve heard so many people say they didn’t start studying until August or September, and they were totally fine. But I guess the concern I have is when all of a sudden the test is possibly 3 months away vs 6 months away, it’s like you went to sleep in May and woke up in September or October.

It’s just a loss of the ability to wait and a loss of control that set a panic in my always anxious soul. :laugh:

One of my review questions was how many cows are in estrus at one time in a pen of 122 cows. I was like...... well.
What MC option was like... the least? One of the things I remember from therio is that cows like to go in and out of estrus hella fast (like around 12ish hours). So basically if you’re a farm without advanced heat monitoring, you could go home at 5 pm, show back up up at 5 am, and you would’ve lost the ability to breed them that cycle.

• Wow
I don't think there's enough information in that question, you could easily expect numbers in the 80%+ range if there's been an estrous synchronization protocol or numbers in the 0% range if they're still in their postpartum anestrus period. Would also expect differences in numbers if it's a dairy herd vs a beef herd in general

I know testing windows were moved because of the people who weren’t able to test during the pandemic (and are super stressed about trying to pass when they can’t even schedule) so I find the NAVLE window moving permanently hella confusing

I know testing windows were moved because of the people who weren’t able to test during the pandemic (and are super stressed about trying to pass when they can’t even schedule) so I find the NAVLE window moving permanently hella confusing
The spring testing window for this year was extended to September 30 and then fall window extended to start Sept 1st and end December 31st, which is also later than it usually ends. I don't think it's a permanent change though (pending pandemic progression of course). The window for next spring is still normal, for now. I think this is just to spread things out so fewer people are using the testing centers at the same time, and probably to give them time to sanitize in between testing days too.

The spring testing window for this year was extended to September 30 and then fall window extended to start Sept 1st and end December 31st, which is also later than it usually ends. I don't think it's a permanent change though (pending pandemic progression of course). The window for next spring is still normal, for now. I think this is just to spread things out so fewer people are using the testing centers at the same time, and probably to give them time to sanitize in between testing days too.
Ahhhhhh then this makes sense. September was just floating around in my brain for spring testing.

Not a bad idea but definitely a surprise. I suspect most people might still take the test later in the window anyways but who knows :)