Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I don't know.

So close! That was an option.

I don't think there's enough information in that question, you could easily expect numbers in the 80%+ range if there's been an estrous synchronization protocol or numbers in the 0% range if they're still in their postpartum anestrus period. Would also expect differences in numbers if it's a dairy herd vs a beef herd in general

It had the caveat of no human intervention.

The answer was 6 because the estrus cycle is 21 days. So 122/12 = ~6

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
So close! That was an option.

It had the caveat of no human intervention.

The answer was 6 because the estrus cycle is 21 days. So 122/12 = ~6
Honestly who is having you evaluate estrus in the absolute most poorly managed herd around? I could maybe see this in a range cow-calf operation that has their animals come into estrus in the same month-ish and has a couple month breeding period (like many beef herds), but they wouldn't need to do estrus detection at all because they're being naturally serviced

And most dairy herds do sync protocols to save staff time from having to do estrus detection and AI 24/7

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't really understand why you're dividing the number of cows by the number of days in esterus.

Uh... I'm just guessing but maybe it's statistically likely for an equal number of cows to be on each day of the cycle? So like 6 cows to be on day 1, 6 cows to be on day 2, 6 cows to be on day 3... etc?

Who knows though. Cows, man.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly who is having you evaluate estrus in the absolute most poorly managed herd around?

Great question. I also ask, "Why dont I have an orthogonal radiograph for this left lateral?" on the regular doing these questions.

Why are you dividing by 12?

Honestly this still makes no sense to me because I'm bad at math but whatevs :laugh:

I still don't really understand why you're dividing the number of cows by the number of days in esterus.

Uh... I'm just guessing but maybe it's statistically likely for an equal number of cows to be on each day of the cycle? So like 6 cows to be on day 1, 6 cows to be on day 2, 6 cows to be on day 3... etc?

Who knows though. Cows, man.

Finnick has the explanation that Zuku gave me. Bizzaro question.

Shout out to @finnickthedog, @vetmedhead, @Barkley13, and @mmmdreamerz for a question: do you guys know of any online animal welfare based courses/classes/rotations/etc offered by your school that could be reasonably completed in a week or two (at 40-50 hours a week spent on the course)? We just got our online offerings for 1 week rotations through mid-June to the end of July and I'm only really liking one of them enough to actually want to take it. We are able to do off campus rotations if the facility is allowing externs, but I'm unsure on if I could get anything scheduled between now and then.

ACVS was canceled for Oct and I’m sad.

• Sad
One of my review questions was how many cows are in estrus at one time in a pen of 122 cows. I was like...... well.
I got a similar question just now and wanted to share!!!
7E96104F-2640-4FAF-BEE3-994DF77F0DCE.jpeg
E7C50D0A-27A4-4A97-AB71-676B9B91A0AB.png

(yes I’m NAVLE prepping at 2:55 am on a Saturday , don’t @ me)

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Week 1 of online clin path: cytology with it's pretty pink and purple colors that made me so happy. I could do this all day.

Week 2 of online clin path: bloodwork cases that I had a momentary existential crisis over cause 2nd year is a black hole in my mind.

Mad shout out to @SkiOtter and @SportPonies and the eClinpath website for reteaching me bloodwork interpretation.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My fiancee got an email saying his new work reopen date is October 2nd.

• Wow
Yeah a month ago my bf was told he won't be coming back until October, which is nice because he works in Boston and it would be ridiculous to have them come into work until everything is settled

Mine works in hospitality in a ginormous hotel near the airport. The exposure risk would probably be astronomical if people were traveling. And since people aren't traveling, they won't pay to stay in an expensive hotel either.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Mine works in hospitality in a ginormous hotel near the airport. The exposure risk would probably be astronomical if people were traveling. And since people aren't traveling, they won't pay to stay in an expensive hotel either.
Wow!!! Yipes, I would make mine sleep in a separate area of the house lol

• Haha
Wow!!! Yipes, I would make mine sleep in a separate area of the house lol

He was supposed to start June 25, so even if our school didn't require a 2 week quarantine, I was going to do one anyways after getting back cause he was probs going to be a germy mess!

• Haha
Week 1 of online clin path: cytology with it's pretty pink and purple colors that made me so happy. I could do this all day.

Week 2 of online clin path: bloodwork cases that I had a momentary existential crisis over cause 2nd year is a black hole in my mind.

Mad shout out to @SkiOtter and @SportPonies and the eClinpath website for reteaching me bloodwork interpretation.
I’m on radiology, and all the grey is actually killing me :sleep:

How I currently feel while on gross path. So glad we’re finished today. Definitely not my thing...at least online.
We have one more week! We have to do 100 case reports in our free time (in addition to rounds, daily modules, quizzes, and studying for the final) and it’s been rough. I just have... 90 more to do. It’ll be a busy busy weekend for me

We have one more week! We have to do 100 case reports in our free time (in addition to rounds, daily modules, quizzes, and studying for the final) and it’s been rough. I just have... 90 more to do. It’ll be a busy busy weekend for me

I had radiology last block and liked it. It was way more chill and I thought I got a lot out of it.

I had radiology last block and liked it. It was way more chill and I thought I got a lot out of it.
Yeah I think radiology is a great one to have remotely. To be honest I think I would have gotten more out of it that way. I was too busy holding patients down for ultrasounds for hours on end to really get much out of it. And when there are so many students for radiographic rounds, you can only participate so much.

Yeah I think radiology is a great one to have remotely. To be honest I think I would have gotten more out of it that way. I was too busy holding patients down for ultrasounds for hours on end to really get much out of it. And when there are so many students for radiographic rounds, you can only participate so much.
But I got to feed a baby sea turtle barium soaked kibble in fluoro on radiology, and that 100% made it worth all the stupid cruciate rads. :laugh:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
My second radiology block (we have 4 weeks split into two blocks), one of the zoo vets said I looked bored as they were finishing up a leopard ultrasound, so i got to go disappear for an hour to help with that leopard and the other one that was there for workup that day :heckyeah:

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
My second radiology block (we have 4 weeks split into two blocks), one of the zoo vets said I looked bored as they were finishing up a leopard ultrasound, so i got to go disappear for an hour to help with that leopard and the other one that was there for workup that day :heckyeah:
Sounds about right. You disappear from radiology rotation for an hour or two, no one would really care

Hell, on third year radiology I ended up taking laps to go talk to clinicians on other services because the residents told me to while it was slow :p We also went on a lot of fetch quests to bring patients to radiology from the wards, which usually entailed a light degree of stalking of clinicians and fourth years.

From what I've heard the online radiology rotation this year is really helpful practice but a TON of work so far. I think they are averaging 20+ cases a day that they have to write full interpretations for, on top of rounds and other homework assignments. The people I've talked to have said that it's made them feel a lot more competent though.

Hell, on third year radiology I ended up taking laps to go talk to clinicians on other services because the residents told me to while it was slow :p We also went on a lot of fetch quests to bring patients to radiology from the wards, which usually entailed a light degree of stalking of clinicians and fourth years.

From what I've heard the online radiology rotation this year is really helpful practice but a TON of work so far. I think they are averaging 20+ cases a day that they have to write full interpretations for, on top of rounds and other homework assignments. The people I've talked to have said that it's made them feel a lot more competent though.
yeah at least right now it’s really busy for us... hopefully I feel competent by the end of next week?

All I know is that there’s a lot of patients that I think I want to cut, to find out that no, there’s actually no need to cut

• Haha
I wish ours had been structured like that!

We got our online primary care rotation schedule and we have to do actual rounds and such. Which means I have to wake up at 6-6:30 am to start the rotation at 7 am because I'm a timezone behind. I'm so glad I've spent the last four weeks waking up at 7 am.

• Sad
We start cardio Monday! I'm in a MWF schedule next week and then Tu/Th the week after. First time I get to see real patients in the hospital!

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah historically radiology rotation here has been 90% positioning, so I think I probably got way more from it being an online rotation honestly

We started our online primary care this week, and after the last block (online clin path) where we devoted *hours* to the rotation, we're all a little freaked out in my friend group by how little we're doing in comparison.

7 weeks till in our own VTH. But only 1 week until I go to a 4 week externship.

• Love
7 weeks till in our own VTH. But only 1 week until I go to a 4 week externship.
we start Monday back in the hospital! 2 week rotation is divided in group A and B. Group A is in the hospital first week for normal hours, and if there’s an emergency that comes in after midnight, group B gets called in. You FaceTime your rotation buddy (for example I am A1 and I’ll FT B1) when you're with the patient or talking to the clinicians. The next week, they switch. Your rotation buddy is also responsible for stepping in if for some reason they get sick or can’t make it in

I don't like to be a guinea pig.
32281678-55AC-4E72-9307-7F415B5B71F9.gif

• Haha
Ugh, I still have 9 weeks before we're supposed to be back in the hospital. I'm tired of being at home.

If you're allowed to do off campus stuff and can get to CO, I can recommend a place that provides housing.