Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're allowed to do off campus stuff and can get to CO, I can recommend a place that provides housing.

I wish. But alas, I'm poor and my dogs tie me down :laugh:

Plus, I don't know what the time commitment is going to be on my next last 6 weeks of online classes so making any sort of plans seems like a questionable decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
NAVLE scores are going to be released throughout the testing window

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So they stopped making my favorite pair of scrubs which was a bummer...so I made the terrible mistake of deciding to try a pair of figs. Except now I love them and they’re so $$$$.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
So they stopped making my favorite pair of scrubs which was a bummer...so I made the terrible mistake of deciding to try a pair of figs. Except now I love them and they’re so $$$$.

I joined this figs sale Facebook page hoping for better deals and I'm still sticker shook :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I joined this figs sale Facebook page hoping for better deals and I'm still sticker shook :laugh:

exactly. They’re sooooo expensive. I wish I hadn’t tried them haha. It was an impulse decision based on sadness that I couldnt get a pair of my (muchhhh cheaper) go-to scrubs.

I'm still holding out. I have enough scrubs. But man I really want to buy some figs...
Dont do it. You’ll love them and then you’ll be mad at yourself for loving them lol

• Haha
exactly. They’re sooooo expensive. I wish I hadn’t tried them haha. It was an impulse decision based on sadness that I couldnt get a pair of my (muchhhh cheaper) go-to scrubs.

I regret not getting Star Wars Figs

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished my first in-person (mostly) rotation! It went really well and the faculty and residents all kept telling us to come by after we left. They probably say it to everyone but still, I had a great time!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Finished my first in-person (mostly) rotation! It went really well and the faculty and residents all kept telling us to come by after we left. They probably say it to everyone but still, I had a great time!

yay! Go coop! I’m so excited to start in person...2 more weeks

Just finished off my online primary care rotation and we did a class wide online trivia, and it was awesome. The clinicians were winning there for a while, but we hit Game of Thrones and we stayed at between 5th and 3rd place the rest of the time. A student team won and that's all that matters lol

Reactions: 5 users
So we have to pre-register our NAVLE day with the school...I'm trying to decide if I should get it over with early or wait an extra month and take it after my vacation....decisions

Hating this unwanted vacation. I would have been in my second externship right now if things had gone to original plan...

Same. I try not to think of all the cool things I lost out on because of Covid. Just makes me sad...

So we have to pre-register our NAVLE day with the school...I'm trying to decide if I should get it over with early or wait an extra month and take it after my vacation....decisions
Take it at the beginning of vacation like @DVMDream said she did and not have to prepare for clinics afterwards and just get to relax???

Still jealous that y’all get to pick your dates. Ours are assigned for us “to ensure that there are not multiple people from each rotation gone on any given day”

however with this date expansion, there’s <3 people gone PERIOD per day.

Still jealous that y’all get to pick your dates. Ours are assigned for us “to ensure that there are not multiple people from each rotation gone on any given day”

however with this date expansion, there’s <3 people gone PERIOD per day.

they sent out a huge google doc to sign up so that no more than one person is gone per day

they sent out a huge google doc to sign up so that no more than one person is gone per day
I wish they would’ve done that! My poor friend (a serial procrastinator) got scheduled for September 1st during the middle of a very difficult rotation

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I wish they would’ve done that! My poor friend (a serial procrastinator) got scheduled for September 1st during the middle of a very difficult rotation
Weird they don't take rotations into account. Here if you have a vacation during the testing window they ask you to take it then, and if not they tell you which rotation to take it on based on which would function best without a student and would be easier on you to do

Reactions: 2 users
Weird they don't take rotations into account. Here if you have a vacation during the testing window they ask you to take it then, and if not they tell you which rotation to take it on based on which would function best without a student and would be easier on you to do
That’s beautiful if they’re gonna tell you when to take it

If it makes you all feel better, we’ve at least been 100% pass rate the past 3 yrs and haven’t been below 98% in quite some time. Haha

I don’t love that they want you to take it over your vacation. It’s one thing if someone wants to do that, it’s another if they are making you. Seems kinda not fair (but we also get very limited vacation so maybe Id feel differently if we had more like some schools...)

I don’t love that they want you to take it over your vacation. It’s one thing if someone wants to do that, it’s another if they are making you. Seems kinda not fair (but we also get very limited vacation so maybe Id feel differently if we had more like some schools...)
We get a good amount, 8 weeks throughout the year. It does suck if your vacation falls in the window (especially now that it's longer, most people have at least one vacation in that window). If you can't take it then I believe you can still work it out with the coordinator for during a rotation so long as you have a decent justification for why. I'm fine with doing it during a vacation because there's nothing to come back to immediately after it's done, though.

We get a good amount, 8 weeks throughout the year. It does suck if your vacation falls in the window (especially now that it's longer, most people have at least one vacation in that window). If you can't take it then I believe you can still work it out with the coordinator for during a rotation so long as you have a decent justification for why. I'm fine with doing it during a vacation because there's nothing to come back to immediately after it's done, though.

we only get two weeks vacation so i think thats probably part of it

Reactions: 3 users
We get up to 4. 8 is so many :eek:

Actually...I wonder if it's different now with the new curriculum. Might be since clinics are 4 months longer.
I mean...our clinics are supposed to be 15 months long, and we only get 4 weeks vacation.

They haven't extended that for covid, either -- now we have way more weeks designated as elective time, but we still can't elect vacation lol. It's complicated -- I doubt I'd want vacation anyways after being out of the hospitals for so long, but it's actually mildly stressful to be pressured to secure new externship/elective opportunities every few weeks.

And I think we're supposed to take the NAVLE during a vacation week if we can...? But we're also allowed to request a day off if we need to.

I think.

I should probably check that.

I originally had NAVLE scheduled during a vacation. But I am no longer planning to take any vacations in the fall so... that plan has changed. Now the question has become which rotation do I want to be on when I take it. And so far I'm thinking... not surgery.

I originally had NAVLE scheduled during a vacation. But I am no longer planning to take any vacations in the fall so... that plan has changed. Now the question has become which rotation do I want to be on when I take it. And so far I'm thinking... not surgery.
I took mine during SA surgery after having 4 heavy rotations prior as well. I was so busy, I had little time to worry about NAVLE. haha

Honestly, it really doesn't matter when you take it. It will never be the perfect conditions to take this pain in the ass test. You are going to be stressed no matter what, so if you can, use that worry energy for learning from your rotations and keeping track of your weaknesses to concentrate your study efforts for Navle. :)

I took mine during SA surgery after having 4 heavy rotations prior as well. I was so busy, I had little time to worry about NAVLE. haha

Honestly, it really doesn't matter when you take it. It will never be the perfect conditions to take this pain in the ass test. You are going to be stressed no matter what, so if you can, use that worry energy for learning from your rotations and keeping track of your weaknesses to concentrate your study efforts for Navle. :)

But then how do I choose! :p

I'm pretty sure we just get to choose whenever we want to take it here because I haven't heard otherwise. Only complaint we got was before they extended the testing window most of my class was trying to take vacation during a specific block and they were like... guys you can't all be on vacation and we promise you'll do just fine on the NAVLE without being on vacay at the time. But this wasn't an issue during original scheduling, just during covid scheduling so I assume it had more to do with trying to fit everyone into their remaining required courses vs too many people gone from the hospital at a time.

As far as I'm aware, we get to pick our date and I was definitely going to choose surgery. We get the day of and the day before off for free. So I'll definitely prefer to be on surgery for only 8 days vs 10

As far as I'm aware, we get to pick our date and I was definitely going to choose surgery. We get the day of and the day before off for free. So I'll definitely prefer to be on surgery for only 8 days vs 10
Umm hi I'm jealous. I was on emergency and I got half a day off and took it on my "weekend". But it's true there's never a perfect time to take that beast so just throw a dart at a calendar and get 'er done

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

In the logical world, I was going to take it during an externship (didn't have a choice - my externship lasted the whole testing window), which I actually liked because while I would miss a day at the zoo it wasn't like they needed me there to function so they were happy for me to take it whatever day I wanted. Planned to take it on a Friday so I'd have the weekend to recover. It was also nice being away from everyone else's stress leading up to their testing dates, and I was at home for that externship so that was a nice bit too.

And in reality that whole plan went out the window and I took it on a Wednesday, 2 days after my brother's memorial service, and was back at the zoo the next day (by choice). Such is the way of the universe. But that at least has me pretty convinced that it probably doesn't matter all that much when you take it.

Maybe, if you're someone whose brain works like mine, it even helps to take it at a time when you have a lot of other things to think about and not enough leftover stress to go to the exam. Makes for a chill experience. YMMV based on your particular model of brain.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I’m curious...those of you who have already started clinics again, how are they “distancing” you among rotations? Are you still learning well/enough if less physical time in the clinic?

I’m curious...those of you who have already started clinics again, how are they “distancing” you among rotations? Are you still learning well/enough if less physical time in the clinic?
Not in fourth year, but I work in the LA hospital at OSU. Each room has a sign posted saying the max number of people allowed in at once. We do our best to stay 6 feet from other people, but it realistically doesn't work that way. There's only so much you can do to treat an animal by yourself so we spend a lot of time in close proximity. Masks are required at all times and the fourth years space themselves out slightly more than usual during rounds. Fourth years were allowed to get a covid test before returning, but weren't required to. It's definitely not perfect and I think we'll have a tough time when someone eventually tests positive.

Not in fourth year, but I work in the LA hospital at OSU. Each room has a sign posted saying the max number of people allowed in at once. We do our best to stay 6 feet from other people, but it realistically doesn't work that way. There's only so much you can do to treat an animal by yourself so we spend a lot of time in close proximity. Masks are required at all times and the fourth years space themselves out slightly more than usual during rounds. Fourth years were allowed to get a covid test before returning, but weren't required to. It's definitely not perfect and I think we'll have a tough time when someone eventually tests positive.

yeah. My school is physically distancing on some rotations and virtually or time distancing on others. Mostly concerned about the rotations where were not actually there like normal.