Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just took NAVLE today. Thought it was pretty tough not a lot that I was 100% certain on. Is this a common feeling? and you just pray you pass?
Yup. Exactly that feeling

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Done with cardio this sunday after my on call. Second favorite rotation so far.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just locked down my final letter of rec. It's a good feeling to have your letter writer call you exemplary to your face. I don't know which mythical version of Coop she was seeing but I appreciate it all the same. It was a good end to a really crappy week. All in all what doesn't kill us makes us zombies right?

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just took NAVLE today. Thought it was pretty tough not a lot that I was 100% certain on. Is this a common feeling? and you just pray you pass?

Just took mine too. It seriously seemed like I was guessing on most of it and audibly laughed at several questions. There were very few that I looked at and went "Yup, my choice is 100% correct." Honestly not the best feeling in the world walking out of that exam.

Actually....still can't walk.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Just took mine too. It seriously seemed like I was guessing on most of it and audibly laughed at several questions. There were very few that I looked at and went "Yup, my choice is 100% correct." Honestly not the best feeling in the world walking out of that exam.

I had a few I laughed at. Some I made horrified faces at. Some I mouthed “what the [explicit]” (probably a good thing I had to wear a mask anyways)

it’s a common feeling! I was relieved when I finished my test and then even more relieved once I found out that I passed!!!

Reactions: 5 users
There’s a feeling of pride when you say and recommend the exact same thing that poison control says and recommends!!! tagging @DVMDream bc tox

Take that, macadamia nuts!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I got S+ across the board for my Oncology block (since we don't get clinical letter grades). I'm not going to lie, after all the struggles I had with didactics and having to repeat, it's amazing to get comments and clinical evaluations like this from faculty. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

I laughed out loud a lil at this post and then had to explain it to my partner.

He goes, "so when he passes, he needs to immediately do his state licensure exam and pass that, too."

Me: "that's not really how it works but, why?"

Him: "so he can be on a roll!"

:yeahright:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I laughed out loud a lil at this post and then had to explain it to my partner.

He goes, "so when he passes, he needs to immediately do his state licensure exam and pass that, too."

Me: "that's not really how it works but, why?"

Him: "so he can be on a roll!"

:yeahright:

To thy partner:

the walking dead nod GIF

I applied to my first internship today (via match)!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My application is done and I’m just waiting for my LORs to submit.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I applied to my first internship today (via match)!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Two actually!

Now to finalize the other 18 hospitals I’m interested in

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Some days I'm really worried about my NAVLE performance, others I'm just like "Meh, I'd just take it again, no biggie."

Why do they not give a score immediately? Just tell me! They could asterisk it if further super special maths take place to weight scores or whatever. If you don't pass you lose a month of studying just waiting for the score.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do they not give a score immediately?
I'm at the point of wondering why we even need the exam in the first place. At least for people who go to AVMA COE accredited schools, we all meet the same requirements for graduation. This test really doesn't seem to mean much in the long run -_-

I'm at the point of wondering why we even need the exam in the first place. At least for people who go to AVMA COE accredited schools, we all meet the same requirements for graduation. This test really doesn't seem to mean much in the long run -_-
Don’t they use the navle pass rate to keep school accreditation though? And like...if not enough of their students pass the exam that has a very high pass rate, that spells trouble to me with the school and their ability to meet those same graduation requirements

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t they use the navle pass rate to keep school accreditation though? And like...if not enough of their students pass the exam that has a very high pass rate, that spells trouble to me with the school and their ability to meet those same graduation requirements
At that point, I feel like the attrition rates would be a better proxy than the NAVLE though since the students aren't getting through an accredited program. The schools currently doing poorly as far as NAVLE pass rates go also have the highest attrition rates.

At that point, I feel like the attrition rates would be a better proxy than the NAVLE though since the students aren't getting through an accredited program. The schools currently doing poorly as far as NAVLE pass rates go also have the highest attrition rates.
But even if the school didn't have a high attrition rate and still had low NAVLE pass rates... is that not questionable? Attrition measures whether they make it through the program. NAVLE pass rates measures whether the program prepared them appropriately for the NAVLE.

It may be that schools doing poorly in one tend to do poorly in the other, but they're still not measuring the same thing. And to look at attrition rates alone would essentially say it's okay if your program doesn't prepare students for this test of baseline competency as long as they complete the program.

Basically, someone just hold me, cradle me like a baby, tell me I passed and it's going to be ok. The cradling should be very easy cuz no legs.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
And to look at attrition rates alone would essentially say it's okay if your program doesn't prepare students for this test of baseline competency as long as they complete the program.
This is obviously a rhetorical question since schools hide their attrition rates amazingly well, but are there any schools that have low attrition rates while having a high NAVLE pass rate? If I was a betting woman, I'd say not.
But even if the school didn't have a high attrition rate and still had low NAVLE pass rates... is that not questionable?
My argument is that the NAVLE is a redundancy that ultimately doesnt mean much. And it is a redundancy that students pay the price for. I agree that a program shouldnt be accredited if they have a low NAVLE pass rate; but when we set the bar at an 80% pass rate, it's a pretty arbitrary COE accreditation standard.
There will always be a licensing exam. No ifs ands or butts. Or coconuts.
I have no problem with licensing exams if they mean something. But since the COE NAVLE accreditation standard is relatively arbitrary and the fact the NAVLE doesnt really show how good a doctor a student will be, I really dont see the point.

I just really hate the NAVLE and that once we get a passing score, it doesnt matter.

This is obviously a rhetorical question since schools hide their attrition rates amazingly well, but are there any schools that have low attrition rates while having a high NAVLE pass rate? If I was a betting woman, I'd say not.

My argument is that the NAVLE is a redundancy that ultimately doesnt mean much. And it is a redundancy that students pay the price for. I agree that a program shouldnt be accredited if they have a low NAVLE pass rate; but when we set the bar at an 80% pass rate, it's a pretty arbitrary COE accreditation standard.

I have no problem with licensing exams if they mean something. But since the COE NAVLE accreditation standard is relatively arbitrary and the fact the NAVLE doesnt really show how good a doctor a student will be, I really dont see the point.

I just really hate the NAVLE and that once we get a passing score, it doesnt matter.
I suppose that's what I mean, If it's not NAVLE, it would be something else.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this supposed to be reversed? Because most schools have high NAVLE pass rates?

But then the solution would be to raise the pass rate bar for accreditation, not to do away with the NAVLE. If the argument for why it's unnecessary is that were already passing an accredited program, then I don't think it's a redundancy if we agree that a program with a low pass rate shouldn't be accredited in the first place.

I only cradle dogs. I can offer you a supportive circular rub on one shoulder and some soothing clucking sounds?

Please upload an example of this clucking so I can make an informed decision. The rest I'd give 8.3/10.

When you're bored and you see some CE on VIN that looks interesting so you sign up for it but it doesn't start for a month so you're still bored. And also I had no idea what thread this would be most appropriate in so it goes here because I was last here.

I just wish the NAVLE was a better test. It seemed to have a lot of wacko stuff on it, and a multiple choice test cannot assess soft skills appropriately.

I think there should be a licensing exam, and I think it should be hard... I just think the format of the test should change.

Reactions: 4 users
When you're bored and you see some CE on VIN that looks interesting so you sign up for it but it doesn't start for a month so you're still bored. And also I had no idea what thread this would be most appropriate in so it goes here because I was last here.
Fill the time by watching previous rounds/CE! Recordings of previous Getting Through The Day/Getting through the Night sessions are free and there's like a million free rounds sessions

Fill the time by watching previous rounds/CE! Recordings of previous Getting Through The Day/Getting through the Night sessions are free and there's like a million free rounds sessions
But the CE I signed up for is puppies and kittens and therefore, I want it nao.

Thank you though, I will go check some of that out. I need things to do with my brain. I've only been on break a week and I'm already over it because I had five million tons of unanticipated break time this year.

I just wish the NAVLE was a better test. It seemed to have a lot of wacko stuff on it, and a multiple choice test cannot assess soft skills appropriately.

I think there should be a licensing exam, and I think it should be hard... I just think the format of the test should change.
I think the med students have to pass like a PE exam too? @Roxas I summon you to pre-vet. Is step 1 and 2 multiple choice and then is there a physical exam test or something?

• Haha
Yeah they do... but I also wouldn't want us to end up with having those tests determine internships & residencies like they do on the human side.

A PE component isn't a bad idea, though.

A PE component isn't a bad idea, though.
At least illinois and a few other schools do have a PE sort of exam (OSCE) we have to pass at the end of 2nd and 3rd years in order to go onto the next year. If you dont pass in 3 tries, you dont pass the year.

But then the solution would be to raise the pass rate bar for accreditation
I agree with this. I guess I am just frustrated that we pay so much money to take an exam that has very high stakes but at the same time doesnt mean much of anything in regards to our career.

At least illinois and a few other schools do have a PE sort of exam (OSCE) we have to pass at the end of 2nd and 3rd years in order to go onto the next year. If you dont pass in 3 tries, you dont pass the year.
My impression is that having some formal way to evaluate those kinds of skills is becoming part of the competency requirements, so more schools will probably be adding OSCE or somethng similar. Mine did this past year.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH AND I GOT INTERVIEW INVITES TO MY TOP TWO HOSPITALS AFTER FIRST ROUND CUTS!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Starting to hear from vet med friends at my school that they're already getting interviews for positions they applied for in the match!! The girl on my rotation applying to match submitted her application this last weekend and has an interview next week, then one the second week of January. Good luck guys!! :D

Reactions: 7 users