Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often can we resend requests for letters of recommendation before the clinician wants to kill us?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How often can we resend requests for letters of recommendation before the clinician wants to kill us?
Assuming this is for the match and there's only 2 weeks until its due and places are already sending out interview invites..... however often it takes for them to submit the letter. lol.

None of my clinician ones are in so this finna be me

14EC51DF-82CC-4E98-A9DA-E01E66F1AFF4.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you haven't gotten the clinicians the info they want to write your recs....

Eeek.

I may scrap this; I feel so guilty giving them only like 10 days for a turnaround time.

Reactions: 1 user
When you haven't gotten the clinicians the info they want to write your recs....

Eeek.

I may scrap this; I feel so guilty giving them only like 10 days for a turnaround time.
Do it NOW so they hopefully have a few days of Holiday weekend to deal with it (which is prob when a lot of them were planning on writing these letters anyway).

Reactions: 6 users
Here’s to the year we’ve all been waiting for :)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Starting 4 weeks of not being in Illinois and I couldnt be more thrilled

Reactions: 5 users
This is fascinating, I have 8 rotations left (but technically 9, one block is just vacation). Are y'all on 4 week rotation blocks?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is fascinating, I have 8 rotations left (but technically 9, one block is just vacation). Are y'all on 4 week rotation blocks?
We are on two week blocks and get 10 weeks for preceptorships and vacation. Normally only eight weeks, but increased two weeks due to COVID. I have all my off blocks at the end, so I am done in 56 days*.

* I am totally counting down.

Reactions: 4 users
We are on two week blocks and get 10 weeks for preceptorships and vacation. Normally only eight weeks, but increased two weeks due to COVID. I have all my off blocks at the end, so I am done in 56 days*.

* I am totally counting down.
It's interesting to me that they'll let you take all your off blocks at the end. We're only allowed to take a max of 2 per semester which is 6 weeks (in normal times) so that we're always enrolled full time.

I was also wondering this because I have 8 rotations left too

We're only allowed to take a max of 2 per semester which is 6 weeks (in normal times) so that we're always enrolled full time.
For us, we can have as many in any quarter because our quarter is worth the credits, not the individual rotations.
We also have 9 two-week blocks left, then one final week to make sure all our paperwork is in order. But I'm off for 2 of those blocks and off campus for 1. So I feel like I only have 6.

That's what I thought, but couldn't remember. We have letter grades for rotations at MSU so I don't think doing the credits by semester would work out here.
I thought it might be that we dont register for rotations, but for the quarter directly. So this coming quarter is 615. So that's what shows up on our transcript (same thing happens for didactics; we didnt have 'anatomy' on our transcripts, just 602, 603, and 604).

But the grades make sense since that's what matters.
We have the option to take 2 online U of I classes as a rotation this year so I wonder how that will be graded if U of I doesn't grade
Which ones?!

All my externship hosts had to fill out a grading form from my school so it wasn’t an issue. I did do a rotation at a school with a different grading system from my own but they just graded based on the rubric I provided them.

All my externship hosts had to fill out a grading form from my school so it wasn’t an issue. I did do a rotation at a school with a different grading system from my own but they just graded based on the rubric I provided them.
This is something the school arranged and is enrolling those interested in so not sure what form they will be giving them or what

We have the option to take 2 online U of I classes as a rotation this year so I wonder how that will be graded if U of I doesn't grade

We all had to take those 2 courses when we got kicked off clinics. They're just P/F.

It's weird to me that they're giving you guys that option. The courses (dentistry in particular given how little we get of that) were informative. They were a great alternative to otherwise sitting home doing nothing and we were in a unique situation where we couldn't be in person. But when you could be doing an actual in person clinical experience... it just doesn't seem like a good subsititute.

(Just as an addition... If I recall correctly, most externships here are also P/F. There's a specific course code you can use to have it graded instead but they limit how many you can do and don't really encourage using that one over the P/F option)

Reactions: 1 users
We all had to take those 2 courses when we got kicked off clinics. They're just P/F.

It's weird to me that they're giving you guys that option. The courses (dentistry in particular given how little we get of that) were informative. They were a great alternative to otherwise sitting home doing nothing and we were in a unique situation where we couldn't be in person. But when you could be doing an actual in person clinical experience... it just doesn't seem like a good subsititute.

(Just as an addition... If I recall correctly, most externships here are also P/F. There's a specific course code you can use to have it graded instead but they limit how many you can do and don't really encourage using that one over the P/F option)
I see! We can use it over the top of a vacation slot or if we can't fill an externship this spring since people were having trouble finding places that were taking externs due to covid i guess.

I have this week and then 8 2-week rotations left!

18 weeks till graduation!!!!

I got 2 of my internship interviews scheduled for next week! Super excited!

• Love
On a week off and been staying with my fiance and his roommate before starting my externship tomorrow. Finace is at work, roommate probs went to his parents (who knows really; was gone when I got home from walking the dog). So it's just Sadie and I in the house.

Silence is such a blessing. Space is a gift.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I just got warned away from looking at SDN because "it's the darkest pit of the internet"... :whoa:
They've obviously never been to pre-allo if they think we're bad.

I finally set up an externship for my empty block. No more extra vague "something" in my signature. Very excited because it's a practice that sees a lot of repro and I love me some repro. :love:

Only 8 more weeks at MSU since my last two rotations are externships. Crazy to think about that.

In the meantime I'll be thinking about how much I hate that I have exams on clinics (even though I knew they were coming) and how much my eyes dislike microscopes. On the up side, necropsies so far have not been as bad as I was anticipating--though I still have no love for dead things.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know when the Dec NAVLE scores are getting released? I was hoping (but not expecting) it would be today so I could either cry on my couch or dance around with my cats on my day off...

Anyone know when the Dec NAVLE scores are getting released? I was hoping (but not expecting) it would be today so I could either cry on my couch or dance around with my cats on my day off...
We were talking about it over in the NAVLE thread in the vet forum. I would assume later in the week since that would be more the middle of the month. Maybe early next week. I doubt any one knows the actual for realsies release date though

Reactions: 3 users
We were talking about it over in the NAVLE thread in the vet forum. I would assume later in the week since that would be more the middle of the month. Maybe early next week. I doubt any one knows the actual for realsies release date though
My secret theory is that they don't want to release same day as VIRMP apps are due but then I remember that ICVA enjoys causing pain so if anything they should release today lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
My secret theory is that they don't want to release same day as VIRMP apps are due but then I remember that ICVA enjoys causing pain so if anything they should release today lol
I just want to know so my grandparents will stop bothering me lol

Blegh. I got my schedule for my next rotation...which is one of the hardest services...and I am on with a classmate who is difficult to work with and we are assigned to two clinicians that are also hard to work with. Big womp.

3 of my closest friends are also on this rotation. Pre-covid, we would have all been together, and we would have bounced around to some of the other clinicians on this service -- who are among the nicest (and most challenging in a good way) in the hospital. Back at the time of the lottery, I was super pumped about this one.

I'm still going to try to make the best of it, but this is like rolling snake eyes on loaded dice. :grumpy:

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Blegh. I got my schedule for my next rotation...which is one of the hardest services...and I am on with a classmate who is difficult to work with and we are assigned to two clinicians that are also hard to work with. Big womp.

3 of my closest friends are also on this rotation. Pre-covid, we would have all been together, and we would have bounced around to some of the other clinicians on this service -- who are among the nicest (and most challenging in a good way) in the hospital. Back at the time of the lottery, I was super pumped about this one.

I'm still going to try to make the best of it, but this is like rolling snake eyes on loaded dice. :grumpy:
I know that feeling all too well. Difficult classmates and difficult clinicians are the worst. Sorry Pips!

PASSED AS WELL!!! :D Gotta say, the practice test was pretty on the spot for my passing range when compared to the standard error.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
PASSED THE NAVLE AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW glad we don't have to take it again. Now I can just focus on the match and the rest of clinics. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO day made. So happy. Much wow. I did better than I did on the practice test so much enthused about that. Congrats everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
No comment on how much of vet prep I did or did not complete until I find out if I passed
Follow up:
I did 22% -- and 8% of that was in the last few days leading up to the NAVLE. So every time someone would say "oh gosh, I have only done 40% or 50%, I'm so behind"... I was thinking:
Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

Also, for anyone who is worried about this in the future, I was averaging about 65% on the vet prep tests towards the end.

But, turns out that was enough ;)

:heckyeah:

• Love
Reactions: 17 users