Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey former first years: What size of dissection kit would you recommend? Amazon has so many different options...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey former first years: What size of dissection kit would you recommend? Amazon has so many different options...
You don't need anything crazy. If you wanna keep it down and dirty, get a scalpel handle, some kind of scissors, forceps, and a probe. If you want something a little more complete, throw on some additional types of scissors (straight mayos and curved metzenbaums), forceps, and some needle drivers or hemostats to load your handle without getting yelled at by a professor. As a bonus if you have the more complete stuff you'll find it useful in club wet labs where you can practice procedures and things.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't need anything crazy. If you wanna keep it down and dirty, get a scalpel handle, some kind of scissors, forceps, and a probe. If you want something a little more complete, throw on some additional types of scissors (straight mayos and curved metzenbaums), forceps, and some needle drivers or hemostats to load your handle without getting yelled at by a professor. As a bonus if you have the more complete stuff you'll find it useful in club wet labs where you can practice procedures and things.
I frequently used:
#3 Scalpel with a box of 10 blades
Probe
Hemostats
Forceps
Regular Scissors

And that’s about it. I highly recommend getting a cheap box or something to hold everything together, and then labeling your instruments with nail polish!!! People lose theirs all the time and it’s hard for the scalpel blade with the pink nail polish stripe to coincidentally be theirs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I frequently used:
#3 Scalpel with a box of 10 blades
Probe
Hemostats
Forceps
Regular Scissors

And that’s about it. I highly recommend getting a cheap box or something to hold everything together, and then labeling your instruments with nail polish!!! People lose theirs all the time and it’s hard for the scalpel blade with the pink nail polish stripe to coincidentally be theirs.
What's the difference between scalpel blade handles? Our school dissection kit comes with a #4 handle but we can also add a #3?

Last edited:
What's the difference between scalpel blade handles? Our school dissection kit comes with a #4 handle but we can also add a #3?
Generally the difference is in the size of blade that fits on the handle. You can load larger scalpel blades on #4 handles than #3s. The bigger blades are useful for large animal dissections

Reactions: 1 user
#3 handles are great for small animal dissection (uses a traditional 10 blade and is a standard all around). The #4 handle uses a 22 blade, which is GIANT in comparison and isn’t necessary imo

Also, it’s more precise to cut with a 10 blade (important for small animal anatomy) but it’s really freaking fun to whip out a 22 blade and start skinning a horse with a 22 blade and a giant hook

Also, it’s more precise to cut with a 10 blade (important for small animal anatomy) but it’s really freaking fun to whip out a 22 blade and start skinning a horse with a 22 blade and a giant hook
You skin horses with a scalpel and not a knife? That would take so long!

Sure not the perfect weather, the awesome people (I'm so modest ;)) or the abundant opportunities, just In N Out...

(I probably would too :p)

I miss all those things about Davis. Columbia isn't bad as far as the midwest goes, honestly, but it's just not the same.

You skin horses with a scalpel and not a knife? That would take so long!
They didn’t necessarily want us using the necropsy knife. We could when it was just neck muscles, but when someone severed the entirety of the carotid sheath in one fatal swoop, he asked us not to use them anymore lolol

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else love to use planners? I just ordered a Happy Planner and I can't wait to get it! I know it's a bit early to get one but on the days when there's not much to do, I have nothing better to look up! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else love to use planners? I just ordered a Happy Planner and I can't wait to get it! I know it's a bit early to get one but on the days when there's not much to do, I have nothing better to look up! :laugh:

I'm ordering a Hufflepuff planner today from etsy! Straight up, I couldn't do everything I do without my planner.

I LOVEEEEEE my Plum Paper planner. I’ll admit, it’s up there in price, but it’s so customizable that it’s worth it

But I get an hourly view from 8am- 10 pm. I added extra pages every month and they have a cleaning check list that I stick with. I have a section at the end for fitness and a section after that for gratitude so I can write something that was good every day.

Also @WildZoo is a bullet journal-er, which I applaud her for because I definitely don’t have what it takes to bullet journal

Also @WildZoo is a bullet journal-er, which I applaud her for because I definitely don’t have what it takes to bullet journal
I'm a slacking bullet journaler right now. Haven't used it regularly since February. Maybe that's why my life has felt so chaotic :p

But I get an hourly view from 8am- 10 pm. I added extra pages every month and they have a cleaning check list that I stick with. I have a section at the end for fitness and a section after that for gratitude so I can write something that was good every day.

I used to use Passion Planner with an hourly view like that! If I end up not liking the layout of the Happy Planner, I'm going to print the passion planner one or a different downloadable one. Oo I like that idea of having a section for fitness& gratitude! I might steal that :)

I used to use Passion Planner with an hourly view like that! If I end up not liking the layout of the Happy Planner, I'm going to print the passion planner one or a different downloadable one. Oo I like that idea of having a section for fitness& gratitude! I might steal that :)
That’ll be good! Yeah I love having my planner!

I'm a slacking bullet journaler right now. Haven't used it regularly since February. Maybe that's why my life has felt so chaotic :p
Maybe!! That would explain it LOL

I like going home and all, but I run into our neighbors a lot and they just go on and on about how they can't wait for me to come back and be the next large animal vet in town.. they're like don't let us down, we are counting on you.... haven't told them that I'm gung ho about lab animal medicine lol;):whistle::shifty:

Reactions: 5 users
I like going home and all, but I run into our neighbors a lot and they just go on and on about how they can't wait for me to come back and be the next large animal vet in town.. they're like don't let us down, we are counting on you.... haven't told them that I'm gung ho about lab animal medicine lol;):whistle::shifty:
Unfortunately I get this too when I have visited my hometown, but they should know better by now that I generally move at far as it gets to either coast from their distance. Granted, this has as much to do with ragweed as my happy place preferences. haha

Unfortunately I get this too when I have visited my hometown, but they should know better by now that I generally move at far as it gets to either coast from their distance. Granted, this has as much to do with ragweed as my happy place preferences. haha

Haha I get you! Yeah I see myself living more of in a suburb since most lab animal jobs are in larger cities. I really would not want to live on the East coast or California due to high cost of living but it's where a lot of the lab animal jobs are. Hoping I can find some once I get out that are anywhere else.

Is second year supposed to be the hardest year at anyone else's school? Even though it's two months away, I'm already getting anxious/nervous for it but I'm also excited for it to start because I'm getting a dog!:soexcited:
I just now saw this, second year is definitely a struggle (especially spring semester), but the classes are more interesting than first year at least! If you need tips at any point, feel free to PM me. :)

8 weeks left of summer for us and I low key just want to drop everything and disappear for those 8 weeks. Get tanned, swim, play videogames, low key regular adult beverage times.

Why do I need money to survive!?!?!!? It's such a pain!!!!:arghh:

Reactions: 7 users
8 weeks left of summer for us and I low key just want to drop everything and disappear for those 8 weeks. Get tanned, swim, play videogames, low key regular adult beverage times.

That's my plan. My job program officially ended last week and I'm planning to be a hermit and go spend every day until the 15th by the pool (I'm moving apartments in stilly and then going on vacation!!)

Same, I basically didn't get a vacation and I really need the money/experience but holy cow do I just want to go to sleep and not wake up until September (classes start in August)

I just now saw this, second year is definitely a struggle (especially spring semester), but the classes are more interesting than first year at least! If you need tips at any point, feel free to PM me. :)
Thank you! I'm sure as it gets going I will be reaching out to you!

I feel those feels. And felt them last year. In my soul I would love to just do nothing, ever, but for some reason I always end up doing ****...

I have cut down on going into our wildlife clinic this summer (sad feels) and I'm taking my name off for on call in equine ER (more sad feels). I do that thing where I just volunteer when something comes up, but I gotta cut down and relax this summer.

I have cut down on going into our wildlife clinic this summer (sad feels) and I'm taking my name off for on call in equine ER (more sad feels). I do that thing where I just volunteer when something comes up, but I gotta cut down and relax this summer.
Yeah I had high hopes of spending more time in the exotics clinic and maybe picking up some volunteer shifts at the zoo but between my research project and my other job (even though that one is only 3 shifts a month) I realized...I actually need some time to relax. And do some of the things I don't have time to do during school. Hobbies and such lol

I can't believe next week is July already. Where has the summer gone? My boyfriend is meeting my parents next week for the first time.. poor thing is so nervous. I hope it goes well. I really want my parents to like him. We've only been dating for about 3 months but I can tell this guy is really special.

Reactions: 8 users
Okay I’m bumping this because I’m doing a lot of planner work today. I got these gorgeous planner stickers from Etsy and I’m in love with them. I also got exam stickers that I filled out with a cute font for all of my exams this semester!!

A7ABAF6E-0C34-414D-BE92-5DAF3FE57C4F.jpeg
CC02C44B-1DF2-4E87-932A-19F886D75A48.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Reactions: 5 users
Okay I’m bumping this because I’m doing a lot of planner work today. I got these gorgeous planner stickers from Etsy and I’m in love with them. I also got exam stickers that I filled out with a cute font for all of my exams this semester!!

View attachment 236554View attachment 236553
Ahh I love those!! I have spent too much money lately so I'm going to hold off on buying more stuff for my planner... for now!

Also, I love the Lion King reference sticker haha

View attachment 236554View attachment 236553

I’m always fascinated by how all the vet schools organize when stuff is taught so differently. We had clin Path, behavior, and pharm first year. But I seem to remember you guys had a lot of physiology classes first year. Our physiology is just part of our overall systems classes which is basically the entirety of second year.

P.S. I’ve heard good things about that Healer’s Art