Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vet school curricula is one of my major side interests. I'm fascinated by all the different models.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay I’m bumping this because I’m doing a lot of planner work today. I got these gorgeous planner stickers from Etsy and I’m in love with them. I also got exam stickers that I filled out with a cute font for all of my exams this semester!!

View attachment 236554View attachment 236553

Intro is nice. Makes y'all come to the hospital. I think this class is pretty good at being welcoming since the 2018 class wasn't so... interested in embracing the 2019ers. lol

I’m always fascinated by how all the vet schools organize when stuff is taught so differently. We had clin Path, behavior, and pharm first year. But I seem to remember you guys had a lot of physiology classes first year. Our physiology is just part of our overall systems classes which is basically the entirety of second year.

P.S. I’ve heard good things about that Healer’s Art
interesting! See for us behavior is an elective, but we have separate physiology than system based. Because our system courses are third year...

What classes do you have third year?
Intro is nice. Makes y'all come to the hospital. I think this class is pretty good at being welcoming since the 2018 class wasn't so... interested in embracing the 2019ers. lol
I think that’s nice! I’m pretty excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting! See for us behavior is an elective, but we have separate physiology than system based. Because our system courses are third year...

I think that’s nice! I’m pretty excited!
I really enjoyed the intro courses. I had a good relationship with the students both years, one from having the ultimate treasure trove of books for the fourth years from my year 1, and the other because I was an orientation leader for the crew for third. haha

It really makes a difference I think on how the students take on a teaching role for those classes. I hope this class does a good job with it since it really helps your transition to clinics in my opinion. I've been astounded at the difference this class had for expectations vs my own with the way I was treated vs them. One more testament to how much one individual's desire to share knowledge can make a huge impact on the next generation imo. Fingers crossed you end up on a couple rotations with me! :)

Vet school curricula is one of my major side interests. I'm fascinated by all the different models.

Same! I also like to think about what "sells" different schools to different students. We always tell people to go based off price, but there are plenty of people who don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I’m bumping this because I’m doing a lot of planner work today. I got these gorgeous planner stickers from Etsy and I’m in love with them. I also got exam stickers that I filled out with a cute font for all of my exams this semester!!

View attachment 236554View attachment 236553
Cdo, I'm saying this as lovingly as possible: stop working on school stuff during the summer. :p

Reactions: 4 users
Cdo, I'm saying this as lovingly as possible: stop working on school stuff during the summer. :p
As someone who burnt out last semester: It’s not school stuff it’s life stuff/ school adjacent stuff! All I’m doing is filling in a book and decorating it. I’d much rather do this now when I’m having to sit at my dad’s work and do nothing than in the middle of school when I’m stressed!!!

They teach it at CSU as well. I've heard really good things and wanted to take it as an elective next year maybe
Yeah cdo said it was really cool. I don’t think uiuc has it though </3
Also, if you had clicked the link you’d see it was pulled directly from CSU’s website ;) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty good link, but from my understanding it’s an elective focused on ways of preventing burn out, compassion fatigue, and some of the other ****ty side effects of being a veterinarian!
Yeah cdo said it was really cool. I don’t think uiuc has it though </3
Also, if you had clicked the link you’d see it was pulled directly from CSU’s website ;) :laugh:
I never read anything :angelic:

And cdo doesn't either :laugh:

And cdo doesn't either :laugh:
??? I’m confused... I sent Ski that link to begin with to explain, and then I reposted it in case TT didn’t read the whole thread I didn’t want to be a dick and quote it and be like “um just read the thread” :laugh:

??? I’m confused... I sent Ski that link to begin with to explain, and then I reposted it in case TT didn’t read the whole thread I didn’t want to be a dick and quote it and be like “um just read the thread” :laugh:
This is true
But I’m still taking credit for it

Behavior is required here and we have it first semester of first year. I feel like I benefited a lot from it.

Third year we have surgery/SAOP, anesthesia, emergency/critical care, optho, more parasitology, equine techniques, food animal techniques...those are what are coming to mind lol

Behavior is required here and we have it first semester of first year. I feel like I benefited a lot from it.

Third year we have surgery/SAOP, anesthesia, emergency/critical care, optho, more parasitology, equine techniques, food animal techniques...those are what are coming to mind lol

Small Animal techniques, bugs and drugs, more professional development, more radiology, prev med, clinical reasoning

I think that's the rest

interested to see how the clinical skills lab may change the curriculum. There are definitely parts of small animal techniques they should teach earlier (physical exam/auscultation some others I remember thinking of when taking it but don't remember now) as many people get taught at their summer jobs and then finally get taught at school right before clinics

I say I'm going to cut down on signing up for our equine emergency team......

Then I get called in twice on Saturday and once each Monday and Tuesday......

Totes worth it though since I'm gone for two weeks starting Friday.

I thought I read it well, but apparently I skimmed, and poorly at that. My apologies. Lol. You could have quoted it! I’d have just been like, “Oh, duh, k.” :)

I like the effort but you’ll have to let us know how it is and if it really seems useful. I mean, I hope it is.

I thought I read it well, but apparently I skimmed, and poorly at that. My apologies. Lol. You could have quoted it! I’d have just been like, “Oh, duh, k.” :)

I like the effort but you’ll have to let us know how it is and if it really seems useful. I mean, I hope it is.
Hopefully! I don’t know how useful it is, but I’ve heard that it’s very comforting and whatnot! I’ll let you know! It’s not an every week elective, but it’s a couple weeks for a couple hours on Wednesday night. So it’s interesting

Trying to muster up the motivation to clean my room after I've been gone for two weeks. Currently just browsing SDN. Lol

Reactions: 3 users
It’s been a pretty darn cool summer. Thanks to a couple awesome externships that truly pushed me out of my comfort zone, I learned soooo much and did tons of spay and neuter surgeries and scrubbed in on so much other cool stuff. And I also got a puppy...my very first dog of my own and I am head over heels for her...she is so sweet and laid back and I seriously cannot imagine life without her now.

Reactions: 5 users
This post is useless without pictures.

*don’t quote because I’ll probably take this down later*

14 weeks of perfection<3

Attachments

• 93B49BE5-DED3-42DE-93DB-9A461B30F5C8.jpeg
    93B49BE5-DED3-42DE-93DB-9A461B30F5C8.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 91350062-733A-427A-BDC3-D56E1525E2C4.jpeg
    91350062-733A-427A-BDC3-D56E1525E2C4.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 9 users
It’s been a pretty darn cool summer. Thanks to a couple awesome externships that truly pushed me out of my comfort zone, I learned soooo much and did tons of spay and neuter surgeries and scrubbed in on so much other cool stuff. And I also got a puppy...my very first dog of my own and I am head over heels for her...she is so sweet and laid back and I seriously cannot imagine life without her now.
I’ve learned so much this summer!!! I spent the last 3 nights on the overnight emergency shift at the ER following around two of the doctors, and I’m fascinated by it!!! Got to scrub in on an amazing surgery on Monday that ended up a positive outcome!

It’s made me seriously consider a switch from only surgery/being boarded surgeon to emergency!

I’ve learned so much this summer!!! I spent the last 3 nights on the overnight emergency shift at the ER following around two of the doctors, and I’m fascinated by it!!! Got to scrub in on an amazing surgery on Monday that ended up a positive outcome!

It’s made me seriously consider a switch from only surgery/being boarded surgeon to emergency!

Yay I’m so glad you’ve had an awesome summer too!

I love emergency medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I love emergency medicine.
I didn’t know how I would feel about it before now, but I love it!

I also had a genius of a mentor this week. Like I was honestly blown away by him- easily the most well rounded, intelligent doctor I’ve ever met.

I didn’t know how I would feel about it before now, but I love it!

I also had a genius of a mentor this week. Like I was honestly blown away by him- easily the most well rounded, intelligent doctor I’ve ever met.

Most of my shadowing has been with a really amazing emergency clinic. Last night I got to watch a grad from my program do a diaphragmatic hernia repair. The liver and spleen were both inside the thoracic cavity. The doc had only read about the surgery, but went in there and got it done.

Most of my shadowing has been with a really amazing emergency clinic. Last night I got to watch a grad from my program do a diaphragmatic hernia repair. The liver and spleen were both inside the thoracic cavity. The doc had only read about the surgery, but went in there and got it done.
What species was it? That must have been awesome to see.

We start next Monday! Driving back to Stilly today!

I really want to be a doctor, but I also really don’t want to start school next week. :ninja:

I'm coming back for a big fat test next Monday and then I can pretend to be excited about starting second year lol