CSU c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS Applicant 3rd time applying. Who else is applying this fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like we are applying to alot of the same schools this cycle Sunshine! 2nd time applicant, 1st time to CSU.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be a first year this upcoming fall, so let me know if y’all have any application questions...can’t answer questions about the school year until I get there obviously lol GOOD LUCK Y’ALL

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current 1st year, feel free to PM questions!
Good luck to everyone applying!

The level of dead that this thread is must mean that not many SDNers are applying to CSU this year haha.

I'm an incoming first year so I can also answer questions if anyone has any! There are plenty of us here!

The level of dead that this thread is must mean that not many SDNers are applying to CSU this year haha.

I'm an incoming first year so I can also answer questions if anyone has any! There are plenty of us here!
I mean I hope not then less of an applicant pool lol

Reactions: 2 users
Im a first time applicant applying OOS this cycle to CSU :) does anyone know when interview invites / rejections are sent out??

Im a first time applicant applying OOS this cycle to CSU :) does anyone know when interview invites / rejections are sent out??
Last year I got my interview invite on December 14th! I think rejections were sent around that same time too.

IS, 1st year applicant! Super nervous about the whole process but fingers crossed!!

I’m OOS and a second time applicant. SoOo would like to go to CSU so I’m keeping my fingers crossed this year!! Seems they don’t take many OOS students, especially from non-WICHE states, but here’s hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m OOS and a second time applicant. SoOo would like to go to CSU so I’m keeping my fingers crossed this year!! Seems they don’t take many OOS students, especially from non-WICHE states, but here’s hoping!
I am an OOS non-WICHE student and I was accepted to CSU this past application cycle so there is definitely hope! I’m also here if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 3 users
I am an OOS non-WICHE student and I was accepted to CSU this past application cycle so there is definitely hope! I’m also here if you have any questions :)
I was also technically a non-WICHE OOS student because I'm from Washington! So definitely hope for OOS people.

@danseth @LKG17 hearing that makes me feel so much better about this whole process :) If you don't mind me asking (message me directly too if you feel more comfortable doing so) but what do you think made your applications stand out and what were your grades and scores like? Thanks so much

@danseth @LKG17 hearing that makes me feel so much better about this whole process :) If you don't mind me asking (message me directly too if you feel more comfortable doing so) but what do you think made your applications stand out and what were your grades and scores like? Thanks so much
Upon application my GPA was 3.76 or something like that. My GRE was 161/156/5 (V/Q/W). I personally think I had a strong interview, but leading up to the interviews, I'm not 100% sure what might have made me stand out. I was my high school valedictorian and I have a long history of academic success, which might have shown that I succeed academically. Like 3/4 of my letters of rec were from people involved at CSU as well (but I really don't think that would've been the reason why it bumped me into interviews).

There wasn’t anything particularly spectacular about my undergraduate GPA or my GRE scores honestly (3.39 and I think I was about 2 points above the average scores for admitted students in 2018...I hated the GRE so I try not to think about it lol). So if I had to take an educated guess on what made me stand out, it was probably the fact that I also have a master’s degree (and graduated from that with a 4.0) and the variety and amount of types of experience I had.

I know CSU just re did their whole website and honestly can’t find the admissions statistics on the new format but I believe they were in the mid 150’s for both categories and maybe a 4 for the writing portion?

I know CSU just re did their whole website and honestly can’t find the admissions statistics on the new format

The revamped website is very visually appealing but it's so incredibly hard to navigate. When I was looking for the new students page it kept redirecting me weird.

And I think the 2018 average GRE scores were like 153/156/4 or something like that

Quick Question!
First-time OOS applicant here! Super excited to apply to CSU
For the 3rd optional supplemental question: "Other than English, please list languages you speak, well enough to understand and articulate over 50% of a specific conversation with a native speaker.", Do we just list the languages we speak or should we explain the background we have the in language? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but 600 characters seems like a lot to just list a couple languages :joyful:

Hello! 1st time applicant, OOS non-WICHE. Interested to hear the response to the above question as well, though I already submitted my supplemental. I ended up writing a few sentences explaining my background in the language, but definitely did not use all 600 characters!

I'm not sure, personally, because I didn't have to fill that one out. It's important to note that you are by no means required to actually fill everything out. Make sure you are succinct about everything, don't be too wordy. I think it will be helpful to do a bit of background on the language. Don't just list the languages. Maybe briefly explain your involvement with the language.

Say you grew up in a Spanish speaking household and learned English at a young age, just talk about how you are very fluent in both languages and how maybe it's helped? I dunno, not sure though. Don't take what I say as 100% truth.

First time OOS applicant here! Super nervous!

Hi everyone I am a first time WICHE applicant this year and I am fine-tuning all my applications and plan to submit by Friday. But I just kinda got the interest in trying for the dual MBA/DVM program. Does anyone know anything about this?
On the supplemental application it sounds a bit intimidating.

Hi everyone I am a first time WICHE applicant this year and I am fine-tuning all my applications and plan to submit by Friday. But I just kinda got the interest in trying for the dual MBA/DVM program. Does anyone know anything about this?
On the supplemental application it sounds a bit intimidating.

The MBA/DVM Program is one of the five year programs where you will have both a DVM and MBA upon graduation. You would do one year solely focused on the MBA (Year 0) then your year 1 would be finishing the MBA and beginning your first DVM year. You then receive your MBA and finish vet school off as normal.

The MBA/DVM combined program is nice because, as an out of state student, you can obtain Colorado domicile and then receive sponsored tuition rates during your years 1-4.

The only caveat to it is that you are required to accept the seat for the combined program if you get it (like you can’t back out and say you want to do DVM only). If you are rejected for the MBA/DVM pool you are then put into the DVM only pool and still have an opportunity there.

Anyone know a timeline for CSU? I expected radio silence, but I’m getting angsty

Website says notification late December, interviews Jan 18th and 19th, and decision release mid Febuary. We've got a long wait lol

Last year we got an email mid-November stating decisions for interviews would be posted in the portal on Dec 14th. Unless they've made any major changes, I would assume for decisions this year to be relatively within the same time frame!

I didn’t get my interview invite until around the end of finals week last year (so mid December, 12/14 to be exact) don’t rush it! Enjoy your two months you have right now. I know it’s nerve wracking but you’ll be good!

Pretty sure they don't even download our applications until October 31st, so we just have to enjoy the ride haha

“Thank you for your application and your interest in our DVM Program. Reviews are underway! Please watch your email and your Application Status webpage for more information.

Our next communication will be mid-November and will explain our timeline for decisions and interviews.” Got this email today

I got it as well. However, the applicant webpage will not let me log in now. Anyone else having issues? I did not forget my password because it is saved to my computer.

“Thank you for your application and your interest in our DVM Program. Reviews are underway! Please watch your email and your Application Status webpage for more information.

Our next communication will be mid-November and will explain our timeline for decisions and interviews.” Got this email today

I got it as well. However, the applicant webpage will not let me log in now. Anyone else having issues? I did not forget my password because it is saved to my computer.
I didn’t have issues but maybe the website is just having issues because of the sheer volume of traffic this message likely caused?

Our professors have been talking about how they’re working hard to read all of your applications!

They said they got something like 2450 applications this year! There are a lot of you but just stay patient!

Also as a super far in advance thing: I’m one of the DVM ambassadors so I’ll be at the interviews in January and available to chat with anyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Over 2400? That's nuts!

Late to the party, but I also applied to CSU! AZ, WICHE applicant, and I have also received the email regarding my application being complete and that reviews are underway. They also said they would communicate with us next in mid-November, so any time now we should be hearing something?

Reactions: 5 users
Late to the party, but I also applied to CSU! AZ, WICHE applicant, and I have also received the email regarding my application being complete and that reviews are underway. They also said they would communicate with us next in mid-November, so any time now we should be hearing something?

So, I just reread the email... I think the mid-November communication is for general interview information. My portal (under interview timeline) says ”...candidates will receive either an "Invite-to-Interview" or a "Deny" in late December”.

So, I just reread the email... I think the mid-November communication is for general interview information. My portal (under interview timeline) says ”...candidates will receive either an "Invite-to-Interview" or a "Deny" in late December”.
I should have clarified what I meant, I apologize. What I meant by "something" soon is that they said their next communication with us, per their last email, was going to be in mid-November regarding their timeline of events. I'm sorry if the way I phrased it came off as implying we would be hearing any news on interviews soon, which is not what I meant.

CSU was the second school to send me an email today, I cant handle the stress!! Email says we should know end of day December 20th on our portals!

Reactions: 5 users
CSU was the second school to send me an email today, I cant handle the stress!! Email says we should know end of day December 20th on our portals!

Haha I know! I mean I'm glad they're communicating with us and giving us a better idea of what to expect, but I think I'm getting into a bad habit of checking my email way too often.

I glanced at my email and saw CSU: decision...
*heart jumps into throat*
... timeline.
Oh my god that one really got me (~_~;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 6 users
I glanced at my email and saw CSU: decision...
*heart jumps into throat*
... timeline.
Oh my god that one really got me (~_~;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I know the wording is so heart stopping, especially if you only see the first few words on mobile lol

Reactions: 4 users
Haha I know! I mean I'm glad they're communicating with us and giving us a better idea of what to expect, but I think I'm getting into a bad habit of checking my email way too often.
Something I did to help me not check my email every 2 seconds was turn on email notifications for the CSU admissions email address (And other schools I applied to). That way, I got a specific notification whenever I got the important emails. It doesn’t reduce the anxiety you get when you do get the email but it does prevent you from constantly checking to see who emailed you whenever your phone buzzes :)

Something I did to help me not check my email every 2 seconds was turn on email notifications for the CSU admissions email address (And other schools I applied to). That way, I got a specific notification whenever I got the important emails. It doesn’t reduce the anxiety you get when you do get the email but it does prevent you from constantly checking to see who emailed you whenever your phone buzzes :)

I like this idea. Thankfully I work a lot and I'm not allowed to have my phone out on the floor so at least on those days I have some forced separation from my email :laugh:

Our professors have been talking about how they’re working hard to read all of your applications!

They said they got something like 2450 applications this year! There are a lot of you but just stay patient!

Also as a super far in advance thing: I’m one of the DVM ambassadors so I’ll be at the interviews in January and available to chat with anyone!

Do you know how the OOS applicants are reviewed?

It says: Early Academic Review: Applications with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or less will be reviewed. Some of these candidates will be denied and some will move forward to the DVM Review (regular DVM admissions pool).

Are these ranked and then only a small percent are then reviewed or do they all have their folders reviewed?

DVM Review:
Nonsponsored – will result in a rank list of candidates. Some candidates will be selected for an
interview; some will be denied. Offer/Alternate status will be determined after the interview
process.
Just wondering if it's like LSU rank where OOS are ranked based only on GPA & GRE and the top 150 get their folders reviewed?

How would the applicants with a GPA of 3.2 or less after moving forward to the regular DVM admissions pool make it if then they're ranked? Do you know how the ranking works?

Hope I'm being coherent, lol! Any info you can share is a great help! Thank you!

My thought was they look at GPAs of less than 3.2 and if they think academically you could do the curriculum that they put you into the pool to review? But I don’t think you are then ranked on GPA for further review. I think they look at all applicants that are put in this pool and choose based on the entire package. Not just the top GPAs....

I think. I could be very wrong

Per their website, the admissions committee uses a holistic approach in the review of every application. Each component helps build the full 360 degree picture of who you are and your story. Each piece, coursework, quality/hours of experience, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are all considered individually and as a whole to select candidates who will not only be able to handle the academic rigor of a veterinary program, but also contribute to the veterinary profession. Our holistic evaluation does not use calculated GPAs, nor required minimums for any category.

So, like @PppermintTwist , my guess is that they do a cursory glance at GPAs and proceed with a holistic review of all applicants they feel could academically succeed in their program. Their website doesn’t make it sound like there’s a concrete ranking based on numbers.