CSU c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do schools google applicants? Like do they stalk their social media? I don't have anything inappropriate but I am wondering if I should be cautious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do schools google applicants? Like do they stalk their social media? I don't have anything inappropriate but I am wondering if I should be cautious.
I've worked in software, investment banking, and government for 14 years (ew I'm old) and I tend to keep my social media pretty much locked down - only people whose requests I accept can see it (with the exception of the pages I've set up specifically for vet stuff). I have no idea if schools will look at it, or if it would be legal or ethical for them to do so, but if you plan to someday put that school in your profile and practice medicine with their diploma, they will see you as a representative and ambassador of their name. So my advice would be to either keep it private or keep it clean. I expect any decent school will include in their student honor code something about demonstrating online behavior in line with the school's values, and probably vet students will get a lecture about professional reputation in a business/practice management course.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you know how the OOS applicants are reviewed?

It says: Early Academic Review: Applications with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or less will be reviewed. Some of these candidates will be denied and some will move forward to the DVM Review (regular DVM admissions pool).

Are these ranked and then only a small percent are then reviewed or do they all have their folders reviewed?

DVM Review:
Nonsponsored – will result in a rank list of candidates. Some candidates will be selected for an
interview; some will be denied. Offer/Alternate status will be determined after the interview
process.
Just wondering if it's like LSU rank where OOS are ranked based only on GPA & GRE and the top 150 get their folders reviewed?

How would the applicants with a GPA of 3.2 or less after moving forward to the regular DVM admissions pool make it if then they're ranked? Do you know how the ranking works?

Hope I'm being coherent, lol! Any info you can share is a great help! Thank you!

Sorry for the late response! I've been busy and haven't been checking SDN very often.

As far as I understand, all applicants are reviewed the same way, unless you fall below that 3.2 where they really look into your file holistically. They don't really explain the process to us more than what is listed out on the website. Beyond that, the professors/admissions committee keep fairly tight lipped about the process. I really don't know anything about how they choose candidates and which people progress to interview status.

I feel like everyone else was more helpful than I can be regarding this part, sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact they watch your social media once you are a student. There was a story that we were told of someone that graduated from CSU that got their DVM revoked because of something they posted on facebook (TL;DR, they went feral cat hunting and posted a photo of them holding a cat by the arrow that was shot through its head).

We also signed a thing when we were in orientation that was a social media usage thing, basically saying we won't post anything that reflects poorly on the school. So, in short, schools do care about their reputations, so they care what their students post. I'm unsure if they google candidates as part of the screening process though. That would require a lot of digging because of how many applicants there were this year.

First time OOS applicant.......Can't wait to hear back from CSU!

Got an email saying interview decisions will be released December 20th by the end of the day, mountain time.
Good luck everyone :)

The mini heart attacks I get from these “timeline” emails will be the death of me

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Seriously, all vet schools, don't @ me unless it's an admissions decision!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Colorado is interviewing the same day as my instate. Does anyone know how flexible they are about letting you interview on alternative days? I assume not very lol (may be a mute point as I don’t have an invite yet)

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado is interviewing the same day as my instate. Does anyone know how flexible they are about letting you interview on alternative days? I assume not very lol (may be a mute point as I don’t have an invite yet)
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been trying to just ignore that detail until I get invites and it actually becomes a problem, my superstitious self doesn’t want to jinx it :D

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been trying to just ignore that detail until I get invites and it actually becomes a problem, my superstitious self doesn’t want to jinx it :D

Also same boat (with VMCVM), though I think there’s no way in heck I’ll get an interview invite to CSU so it’ll likely be a non-issue for me :oops:

Also same boat (with VMCVM), though I think there’s no way in heck I’ll get an interview invite to CSU so it’ll likely be a non-issue for me :oops:
Lolol yeah probably same here. They have SOO many applicants.

How many OOS applicants do they usually interview? And how many spots are there for OOS?

I’m also part of the “what if” group. I’m wondering about getting there. They get so many storms in January flying into the airport could be a bit of an issue. I would hope they make exceptions for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Same

I’m also part of the “what if” group. I’m wondering about getting there. They get so many storms in January flying into the airport could be a bit of an issue. I would hope they make exceptions for that.
I'm in a similar boat, where I doubt I'll get an interview, but if I do its the same weekend as my sisters wedding which is also out of state for me.

With CSU they give you a choice of which interview day you want to do! We interview on Saturday and Sunday. You just choose which is best for you. I know it’s hard with scheduling though if you already have another interview at the same time.

How many OOS applicants do they usually interview? And how many spots are there for OOS?
If I remember correctly, the old student snapshot page said that the class of 2022 had about 40ish OOS spots. They no longer disclose how many are out of state but we do have quite a few out of state students in our class. I would say around the 45 people range.
im unsure how many OOS are interviewed but I do know that interview weekend is typically around 400 people being interviewed total vs the 2400 applicants from this year.

My portal has updated with an interview invite!! OOS The link for registration isn’t open yet

Reactions: 5 users
My portal has updated with an interview invite!! OOS The link for registration isn’t open yet
Where does it say? My main page with the timeline doesn't say anything about an interview.

Omg I'm shaking! IS interview invite

Reactions: 3 users
My portal also updated with an interview invite!! It's at the very top of the portal. The link is not currently open. OOS btw

My portal also updated with an interview invite!! It's at the very top of the portal. The link is not currently open. OOS btw
Yeah I dont think mine has updated. Probably not good news :nailbiting:

Attachments

• CSu.JPG
    CSu.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 122
So I did not get an interview lol
They haven't sent me any emails yet, and I know that they said in their previous email that they would release decisions "end-of-day" so it is entirely possible that they have not changed all of the portals yet!

Should’ve never looked on here today lol good luck everyone!

To be clear goto 2020 - Colorado Supplemental Application (CSA) and login, then click on "Fall of 2020" link at bottom of page, then a small window pops up, click button that says "open application", the page that now opens is where notice of the interview invite is posted. Its NOT not on the very first page. Just don't want anyone to get the wrong info.

Congrats Karensings2cats, jenjen2020, Ladybuglover, somebun!! I also got an invite and I'm pumped about it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I registered and “You will be contacted via email on Wednesday, January 15 with a specific interview time for your selected day.” But you have to cancel by the 12th... Essentially it’s probably going to be impossible for me to attend because I’m interviewing at my IS the next day. Need to think. So if you’re waitlisted you might get my spot.

Interview invite OOS!
Will decline since accepted to my #2 school choice.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS interview, I’m literally in shock. This was my complete shot in the dark school.

I registered and “You will be contacted via email on Wednesday, January 15 with a specific interview time for your selected day.” But you have to cancel by the 12th... Essentially it’s probably going to be impossible for me to attend because I’m interviewing at my IS the next day. Need to think. So if you’re waitlisted you might get my spot.
Just got the email inviting me to interview

My portal just updated with a deny.
Good luck everyone else and crush those interviews :)

OOS INTERVIEW!! good luck everyone

Reactions: 4 users
I have a room at the Hilton near campus with two double beds for Saturday night. I'll be flying in from DC late Saturday. Girls, if you want to share and split the cost I think it will be $70-80 per person with fees. Let me know (can you do private messages on this thing?).

OOS interview invite. I’m not sure if I’ll accept... Do they waitlist applicants for interviews? Hopefully my spot will open up for someone if I do have to decline.