Deciding between med schools: UF vs UM

Started by pkstars
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkstars

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So its two days before May 15 and Im still very confused on which school to go to between University of Florida and University of Miami- the Boca Raton campus:

This is the information that I have so far:
UF
- completely lecture based and subject based
- really good USMLE scores and good reputation
- rotations at Shands
- clinical experience: two-three week long clinical preceptorship during the first year and standardized patients before second year

UM (at Boca)
- Systems based learning with PBL (extensive) and lecture
- USMLE scores are higher than the main campus but not as high as UFs
- Clinical experience: they have a weekly preceptorship during the first and second years
- rotations: third year at community hosptial, fourth year at Jackson Memorial

I am utterly confused... please help!
 
So its two days before May 15 and Im still very confused on which school to go to between University of Florida and University of Miami- the Boca Raton campus:

This is the information that I have so far:
UF
- completely lecture based and subject based
- really good USMLE scores and good reputation
- rotations at Shands
- clinical experience: two-three week long clinical preceptorship during the first year and standardized patients before second year

UM (at Boca)
- Systems based learning with PBL (extensive) and lecture
- USMLE scores are higher than the main campus but not as high as UFs
- Clinical experience: they have a weekly preceptorship during the first and second years
- rotations: third year at community hosptial, fourth year at Jackson Memorial

I am utterly confused... please help!

The two schools I plan to withdraw from.

I've been looking at them extensively.

I think my friend at UM is happier than my friend at UF.

Compare cost (fairly similar but UM is more).

Honestly, I think without scholarship aid in either case and the cost of living approximately the same for both (which it isn't) I would choose UM.

I'm currently hating UF right now for their craptastic financial aid, but since they will probably be cheaper than UM for you, maybe UF is the way to go.

So basically I wasn't very helpful but good luck.
 
So UF is the Pitt this year...*









*If you have no idea what I am talking about, last year, there were a bajillion XXXXXX vs. Pitt threads. I am guessing this is why this year they did not accept as many people. Apparently this year, there are more XXXXXXX vs UF threads. Huh...

/end off tangent observation.

Good luck with the decision, and I have no idea, since I did not apply to either of these schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are interested in research, UF is the way to go. They have much more extensive facilities for that sort of thing and receive a decent amount of NIH money (~$80-90 million/year) so finding projects with which to get involved will be fairly easy. They seem to be focusing their efforts on translational research, more than any other school at which I've interviewed. Shands is also the major tertiary care provider in its region and a level one trauma center, so clinical experience should be pretty good. I withdrew from UF today but boy was it a hard decision. I researched the school pretty extensively.

UM-Boca on the other hand "seems" more primary care focused. I say this because I did not apply there but also researched it when I was submitting AMCAS. I believe the clinical curriculum is COMPLETELY in Boca Raton now. It used to be that students went back to Jackson for training but Boca Raton Community Hospital now serves as the primary teaching affiliate. My take on UM-Boca is that they are less research focused, less tertiary medicine focused, and operate a community-based program. Research opportunities might be more difficult to find since you will be on the satellite campus and many of the major basic science labs and nearly all of the clinical trials are in Miami, quite a drive from Boca.

IMO, I think you should pick UF. It is cheaper, as you say, and it certainly wouldn't hinder your chances at primary care, if that is what you are interested in. Although, I am not too fond of their old school curriculum and ABC grading policy, I think it is a stronger program with a great match list history. If you are interested in research, my opinion is UF without a doubt.
 
Thanks for the response!
I have a scholarship to UM at boca raton that makes the cost of going to either the same... in fact it might make going to Boca slightly cheaper....

Any other thoughts anyone?
 
Yeah, pick UF -- lee is right all the way. Anyway, I would in your shoes, but I guess I'm not you.

I keep hearing that south Floridians seem to like the Boca area better than Gainesville. OTOH, northcentral Floridians aren't always that crazy about south Fla.

Maybe give us more information about your personal preferences?
 
In terms of my personal preferences I have no interest in research. If I was interested then I definitely agree with you, UF would be the way to go. But I don't want to limit myself to doing only primary care either. I don't want to be limited later on in terms of residency and where i can get in. With Miami the third year is in boca but I know for sure I can do my fourth year at Jackson.
 
I picked UM over UF because I liked it better. I'm in at the main campus though. I appreciate the opportunity to get my hands dirty almost immediately at UM.

I didn't get the impression that UM is primary care focused. Looking at their match list vs UF shows that they're pretty even in that regard.

What's most important to you?
 
If you are interested in research, UF is the way to go. They have much more extensive facilities for that sort of thing and receive a decent amount of NIH money (~$80-90 million/year) so finding projects with which to get involved will be fairly easy. They seem to be focusing their efforts on translational research, more than any other school at which I've interviewed. Shands is also the major tertiary care provider in its region and a level one trauma center, so clinical experience should be pretty good. I withdrew from UF today but boy was it a hard decision. I researched the school pretty extensively.

UM-Boca on the other hand "seems" more primary care focused. I say this because I did not apply there but also researched it when I was submitting AMCAS. I believe the clinical curriculum is COMPLETELY in Boca Raton now. It used to be that students went back to Jackson for training but Boca Raton Community Hospital now serves as the primary teaching affiliate. My take on UM-Boca is that they are less research focused, less tertiary medicine focused, and operate a community-based program. Research opportunities might be more difficult to find since you will be on the satellite campus and many of the major basic science labs and nearly all of the clinical trials are in Miami, quite a drive from Boca.

IMO, I think you should pick UF. It is cheaper, as you say, and it certainly wouldn't hinder your chances at primary care, if that is what you are interested in. Although, I am not too fond of their old school curriculum and ABC grading policy, I think it is a stronger program with a great match list history. If you are interested in research, my opinion is UF without a doubt.

Don't underestimate the research opportunities at the UM Miami campus. There are TONS of opportunities to do some fantastic research. With facilities like the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Stem Cell Institute, Diabetes Research Institute, the Human Genomics Project, and Sylvester Cancer Center... Miami is no pushover when it comes to research. Dean Goldschmidt is really working to make UM an extremely competitive institution in this area.

Which makes me want to ask the OP why you didn't consider the Miami campus?
 
My undergrad was at UF and I did a lot of shadowing with a ENT from Miami and I have a fellow engineer graduate at UF doing his med school there.

UF - He loves it. He says it's tons of work (which is probably true for all med schools) and it seems like it can get kind of competative sometimes. However, he says it's not one of those gunner schools you here about and that the students and faculty are very close and there's a lot of teamwork, something I'm really looking for.

Miami - He had nothing but good things to stay about it. What he commented on was "you're in Miami...if you're doing something like Trauma or anything along those lines, you get to see all kinds of stuff". Not sure if this is true about Boca so much though, but I bet you can get some experience on the other campus later on.

I lived in Gainesville and Ft. Lauderdale and south FL, especially Boca, can be pretty darn expensive to live in. However, I'm so sick of Gainesville and really don't want to do 4 more years.

Summary, they both good schools, the two best in FL. Miami is on the verge of building up their research arm with some big grants in the last few years. I'd go to Miami I think.
 
I can't speak for UF , but the UM Boca second year class (<50 people in the entire class) I met with earlier this year seemed to be pretty laid back and I got a kind of supportive non-competitive vibe from the class. I was also pretty impressed by their knowledge of the subject I was speaking about and the types of questions they asked, though I guess this can be expected from any med school class. 🙂 That being said boca isn't a very exciting or diverse area.😴
 
I was for a long time debating between the Miami and boca campus and after going back frequently between the two campuses I choose the boca campus. After hearing the responses I'm thinking that perhaps Miami main campus would have been the better choice. I'm not sure if I can change between the two anymore though. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage by going to boca over the main campus? I think I'm officially more confused...
 
I was for a long time debating between the Miami and boca campus and after going back frequently between the two campuses I choose the boca campus. After hearing the responses I'm thinking that perhaps Miami main campus would have been the better choice. I'm not sure if I can change between the two anymore though. Do you think I will be at a disadvantage by going to boca over the main campus? I think I'm officially more confused...

Nope. I was just curious. Boca has its strengths as well.

Really, it is a matter of what you want, where you want to live, and where you think you will be happy. Would you rather live in Gainesville in a college town or in Boca Raton? Did you like the student body better at UF or Miami? Did you like the Traditional curriculum at UF or the more small groups/PBL orientation of Miami Boca?

Both institutions will give you a fine education.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am in the exact situation as you are pkstars! i've never posted on here before, but i saw this thread and had to post since i have no idea whether or not i should choose UF or UM-Boca. i love UF because of the reputation and their amazing board scores but i think ALL lecture and essentially no clinical experience plus the 0 financial aid is crappy. i really liked the UM-Boca campus, the early patient contact aspect of the program, and the nice scholarship i received which makes it much cheaper than UF by about 10K/yr. i also feel that since it's a small school it will be easy to get to know professors, etc (and i'm from a small undergrad so i'm used to that). i'm not sure exactly how i feel about the heavy, heavy PBL though (i've heard lots of mixed things). so basically there are things i like about both and i don't know what to do. i really don't want my decision to come down to money, but the scholarship is slightly swaying me towards UM-Boca....any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!
 
Lol!
What has been good for you at boca?

Well, everything has been good for me. 😀

Firstly, I would disregard board scores completely. How other students do on the boards is basically meaningless to what your individual score will be. If you want to score well on the boards, you will have equal opportunity to do so here. You will receive nearly 2 months between 2nd and 3rd year to study for and take the boards. Our exams are carefully written to be board-style, so you should be familiar with how to approach the questions.

To decide, I would compile a list of goals for your education and weigh them based on that. The educational environment is very different.

UF has a reputation as a very competitive environment with a large class size.

UM-Boca is virtually the opposite. We are pass-fail with a very small class size. You will get to know every single one of your classmates well, and you will get to know your faculty very closely.

Curriculum is different also. Yes, we are heavily PBL focused but more often than not the PBL overlaps with the lecture and is just an avenue to explore the details in a clinical scenario. Total PBL time is approx 8 hrs/week (same as lecture time). We have an integrated curriculum, so you won't have separate courses. This is a great advantage for some material and a disadvantage for others. Personally, I feel like anatomy deserves its own block. It was tough for me to balance time spent on anatomy with time spent on lecture. However, now that we have gotten out of basic science and into clinical things, school has become a lot more fun and a lot less stressful.

We also do a lot of things outside of classroom time (community preceptor weekly, dept. of health / immersion every other week). These things are invaluable to my education. I feel I am way ahead of the curve in terms of history and physical exam and thought process of a physician. That will pay big dividends in the clinical years, which are the most important aspects of our education.

Here are some disadvantages. Firstly, no one really knows how the clinical work in Boca is going to work out. I am confident that it will work out, but it is still a big deal that no one has gone through it yet. Also, this is where prestige of a med school pays off the most because of networking with well-known academic physicians. We will be at a disadvantage here.

Second, is research. The research done on this campus is basic science, and although we have opportunity and stipends available, not many med students are really interested in whats being done. If you want other opportunities, you can find them but it will take a bit more diligence and willingness to travel. That's OK with me. Truthfully, research is only important for very competitive residencies.

Lastly, I'll just state that there are plenty of students here that aren't so happy with the school. We work hard because we're doing a lot of non-study activities that eat away time and make us tired when we get home. To appreciate it, you have to find the value of it as a long-term benefit. Also, some students simply do not like PBL. It's a different animal, and you should really try and figure out if it's something you would enjoy.
 
Wow kkiwi186 we are def in the same situation...Let me know if you get more insight into the debate and what you end up deciding.

Thoffen, thank you for explaining your experience at boca. What did you mean when you said that no one knows what the clinical is like at boca? Was I wrong in saying that you can't work your entire fourth year at Jackson? Also do you feel that by working at a community hospital your patient base is limited? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!
 
I think if it were between UF and UM main I'd say UM (obviously, because it's basically the choice I made). Now UF vs. UM Boca is a completely different beast though, because the two schools really couldn't be more different. A lot of people really don't like PBL, so I would suggest you read up on it a bit and really decide if it's something you'd want to devote (or waste) 8 hours a week with. Scores are largely irrelevant because again that changes from year to year and varies from person to person. I'd say UF probably leaves a few more doors open for you and though there are a lot of things I don't like about the school I'd probably take UF over UM boca. That being said if you have no interest in research, an interest in primary care (or maybe some other less competitive specialties), and prefer what is likely a much more laid back environment, boca is probably the way to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey pkstars....did you make a decision yet? i think i'm leaning towards UM-Boca for the smaller campus, early patient contact, and scholarship $. what are you thinking?
 
Im still confused kkiwi186. A lot of people that I have been talking to are saying UF for its better reputation and the fact that you will have more opportunities afterwards, but I know that I will definitely be happier at UM Boca because I think its the type of environment that I would like.
Boca does have earlier patient contact but the community hospital at which you do your rotations is not so hot... from what Ive heard... so Im a complete 😕 still... let me know your thoughts...
 
Thoffen, thank you for explaining your experience at boca. What did you mean when you said that no one knows what the clinical is like at boca? Was I wrong in saying that you can't work your entire fourth year at Jackson? Also do you feel that by working at a community hospital your patient base is limited? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

I mean that next year is the first class to do their clinicals (by that I mean 3rd & 4th year and not preceptor/DoH) in the area instead of Miami. Originally, we were going to be working a lot with Boca Community Hospital which is having financial difficulties, so they backed out. Now we are primarily looking at JFK, which is going to be great because they are a teaching hospital and we'll see a more diverse patient population. However, it will be a longer drive.

Regarding doing the 4th year in Miami. I don't personally know about that. This is simply because I haven't really tried to get more information about it.

Either way, we will still have an excellent clinical education. That I am sure of. Its simply a bit of an unknown, and I expect a few kinks. Personally, it's a little exciting to be laying the foundation for a new curriculum. We are intimately involved as students in the entire educational process, and I value that.
 
Yeah, pick UF -- lee is right all the way. Anyway, I would in your shoes, but I guess I'm not you.

I keep hearing that south Floridians seem to like the Boca area better than Gainesville. OTOH, northcentral Floridians aren't always that crazy about south Fla.

Maybe give us more information about your personal preferences?

Hmm here's my take:

UF Pros: better hospital systems then boca Miami campus. Now if we were comparing to Miller campus in dtown MIA we'd be talking a diff. ballgame altogether. Better research opportunities unless you travel all the way to dtown Miami main campus. better in terms of cost.

UF Cons: Gville atmosphere. I've heard at times it can be more cut throat though opinions on that vary from person to person that I talk to. some hate it there and some love it there. curricula is too traditional compared to more integrative approaches they have. but on the other hand, I'm not a fan of pure PBL which boca has.

Boca Miami: Pros: small class size if that's your thing. Nicer city. More integrative then traditional curricula at UF. less cut throat atmosphere.

Boca Miami Cons: mostly PBL, not as many research opps unless you travel to main campus, not that great if you want to do academic medicine, cost, etc.

I'd go with UF if it were me. If it were Miami Miller main campus, I'd take the debt and go Miami over UF. I just love the main campus program tons more.
 
I think if it were between UF and UM main I'd say UM (obviously, because it's basically the choice I made). Now UF vs. UM Boca is a completely different beast though, because the two schools really couldn't be more different. A lot of people really don't like PBL, so I would suggest you read up on it a bit and really decide if it's something you'd want to devote (or waste) 8 hours a week with. Scores are largely irrelevant because again that changes from year to year and varies from person to person. I'd say UF probably leaves a few more doors open for you and though there are a lot of things I don't like about the school I'd probably take UF over UM boca. That being said if you have no interest in research, an interest in primary care (or maybe some other less competitive specialties), and prefer what is likely a much more laid back environment, boca is probably the way to go.

hahaha we are on the same page. I said the same exact thing as well. 😀
 
Gville sucks if your not in to football and partying.... Miami is much more diverse and is not completely ruled by the university...UF is the only thing in Gville..


I figured once in medical school you would not get time to do either
 
Gville sucks if your not in to football and partying.... Miami is much more diverse and is not completely ruled by the university...UF is the only thing in Gville..


I figured once in medical school you would not get time to do either

If you read carefully it is not the miami campus program. It is in Boca Raton which is wayyyyyyyyyyy worse then Miami and not really as diverse as Miami itself.
 
Hmm here's my take:

UF Pros: better hospital systems then boca Miami campus. Now if we were comparing to Miller campus in dtown MIA we'd be talking a diff. ballgame altogether. Better research opportunities unless you travel all the way to dtown Miami main campus. better in terms of cost.

UF Cons: Gville atmosphere. I've heard at times it can be more cut throat though opinions on that vary from person to person that I talk to. some hate it there and some love it there. curricula is too traditional compared to more integrative approaches they have. but on the other hand, I'm not a fan of pure PBL which boca has.

Boca Miami: Pros: small class size if that's your thing. Nicer city. More integrative then traditional curricula at UF. less cut throat atmosphere.

Boca Miami Cons: mostly PBL, not as many research opps unless you travel to main campus, not that great if you want to do academic medicine, cost, etc.

I'd go with UF if it were me. If it were Miami Miller main campus, I'd take the debt and go Miami over UF. I just love the main campus program tons more.

Guju I am loving the propaganda. 👍
 
Hey guys... thank you so much for the input. Based on what everyone is saying, it seems like UF is the way to go, despite Boca's more relaxed atmosphere. Im still not sure yet... but Im leaning towards UF (sorry Food). What exactly do we have to do tomorrow to confirm one school over the other?
 
Hey guys... thank you so much for the input. Based on what everyone is saying, it seems like UF is the way to go, despite Boca's more relaxed atmosphere. Im still not sure yet... but Im leaning towards UF (sorry Food). What exactly do we have to do tomorrow to confirm one school over the other?

I don't know. I'd email or call the schools you are confirming a seat at and withdrawing from.
 
Hey guys... thank you so much for the input. Based on what everyone is saying, it seems like UF is the way to go, despite Boca's more relaxed atmosphere. Im still not sure yet... but Im leaning towards UF (sorry Food). What exactly do we have to do tomorrow to confirm one school over the other?

Yah between Boca and UF, I'd go with UF. But Miami's main campus would be another story. The main campus is kickass from what I've been told.
 
Have you made your decision yet kkiwi186? I feel that both Boca and UF are completely at a balance point for me at the moment and I have like two three hours to decide...wow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure what you mean.

Oh it was just some ribbing.

BUT, we have scored as well or better on every NBME or board exam that has been taken at both campuses.

And, we do outperform them in general at the health fairs and medical mission trips. However, we do get a ton more clinical experience in the first 2 years than they do, so that's to be expected.
 
hey pkstars... i wound up choosing UM Boca. i decided it would be the better fit for me and my finances.... but it was extremely hard to withdraw from UF b/c it's such a great school. but i figure i could always do residency there lol. sorry i didn't post this earlier, i had a super busy day of moving out from my current apartment. which did you wind up choosing? you were leaning towards UF right?
 
UM/Boca is wayyyy better than UF, especially considering the economic situation UF is in right now. (I'm an undergrad at UF.)

The COM at UF recently laid off a couple of its faculty and its only going to get worse.
 
Oh it was just some ribbing.

BUT, we have scored as well or better on every NBME or board exam that has been taken at both campuses.

And, we do outperform them in general at the health fairs and medical mission trips. However, we do get a ton more clinical experience in the first 2 years than they do, so that's to be expected.

Oh. I've heard your board scores are high too. I wonder if that is due to the PBL based curricula. I've been told that supposedly helps with boards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.