2023-2024 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin) Secondary Essay Prompts (150 words each)
(questions 3 and 4 are different from last year's prompts) (Interviews are in person this year)

1. Please specifically discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community.

2. Briefly share your plans for the upcoming academic year. Do you plan to work, conduct research, volunteer in a health care setting, participate in community service, attend school, travel, participate in leisure activities or other activities?

3. Have you ever had a major setback? What was the cause and how did you overcome it?

4. What areas of your life needs the most improvement, and what plans have you made to improve it?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my secondaries (IS)
1. Please specifically discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community.
2.Briefly share your plans for the upcoming academic year? Do you plan to work, conduct research, volunteer in a health care setting, participate in community service, attend school, travel, participate in leisure activities or other activities.
3.Have you ever had a major setback? What was the cause and how did you overcome it?
4. What areas of your life needs the most improvement, and what plans have you made to improve it?

All 150 words each

Members don't see this ad :)
2.Briefly share your plans for the upcoming academic year? Do you plan to work, conduct research, volunteer in a health care setting, participate in community service, attend school, travel, participate in leisure activities or other activities.
3.Have you ever had a major setback? What was the cause and how did you overcome it?

All 150 words each
+1 OOS

All 150 words each
Thanks @absdot4

Good thing they totally changed them from last years

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone who has applied in the past have any idea if it will be okay if my letter packet has a committee plus three individual? It says they only accept three letters. My school does a letter packet service and I used it but it is the only way I am able to get my letters now.

How are you guys approaching question #3, the major setback question. Do you guys think it has to be some kind of setback in life, or the sort. Or any kind of setback in a specific experience/activity. Also, my challenge/adversity essay isn't really a "setback," so not too sure how to approach this.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys approaching question #3, the major setback question. Do you guys think it has to be some kind of setback in life, or the sort. Or any kind of setback in a specific experience/activity. Also, my challenge/adversity essay isn't really a "setback," so not too sure how to approach this.
I used my adversity topic to explain how it set me back personally. Then I talked a little bit about how I focused on improving upon the effects of the setback. Well, as much as I could in 150 words anyway.

How are people answering question #4 about improvements in life? Can we make the answer about personal areas of our life or is it asking about shortcomings when it comes to applying to med school?
I wrote about self care- I don’t think it has to tie in but I suppose should be at least a little applicable

Reactions: 1 user
For the 2nd question-- if you are in your 2nd gap year and are transitioning jobs, should I only talk about my new job that I have for this upcoming gap year or should I include stuff about my job from my first gap year?

Do you think I could use the 3rd prompt as a re-application essay or should I choose something more personal/education oriented?

Do you think I could use the 3rd prompt as a re-application essay or should I choose something more personal/education oriented?
It might be good to utilize something else to show a different aspect of you that wouldn’t otherwise have been included.

I wrote about self care- I don’t think it has to tie in but I suppose should be at least a little applicable
That is kind of what I am planning to answer with, deciding to talk about productivity and attention because that is incredibly important to medical school!

2023-2024 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin) Secondary Essay Prompts (150 words each)(questions 3 and 4 are different from last year's prompts)

2. Briefly share your plans for the upcoming academic year. Do you plan to work, conduct research, volunteer in a health care setting, participate in community service, attend school, travel, participate in leisure activities or other activities?

3. Have you ever had a major setback? What was the cause and how did you overcome it?

Interview feedback:

Honestly unsure what to discuss for an adversity essay, wondering if I should talk about personal struggles (with health, chronic disorders and whatnot) or if I should discuss something such as an MCAT (I am a low scorer and I've struggled a lot with it -- decided to use it as a catalyst for strong ECs)

Honestly unsure what to discuss for an adversity essay, wondering if I should talk about personal struggles (with health, chronic disorders and whatnot) or if I should discuss something such as an MCAT (I am a low scorer and I've struggled a lot with it -- decided to use it as a catalyst for strong ECs)
Do not write an essay about the MCAT.

Since the prompt uses the phrase major setback, I would think of it as a one-time event/outcome as opposed to your experience with a chronic health problem.

How are people answering question #4 about improvements in life? Can we make the answer about personal areas of our life or is it asking about shortcomings when it comes to applying to med school?
TLDR: yes. Lean more to your life than your application. I don't think you want to confirm your red flags.

For the 2nd question-- if you are in your 2nd gap year and are transitioning jobs, should I only talk about my new job that I have for this upcoming gap year or should I include stuff about my job from my first gap year?
You don't have a lot of space to go into a ton of details. The facts will work, but pay attention to the prompt. I suggest what you will be doing... that what the prompt is implying.

Does anyone know if they have any specific LOR requirements? Or is it just any 3 letters we choose?

Last edited:
  • Love
Your question can be answered by just looking it up.

I saw this, but it seemed very vague. Wanted to make sure I was not missing anything...

@wysdoc @SultanateIV

Oops, my bad! I just did some more research:

If you choose to submit three individual letters, we prefer (but do not require) at least one recommendation to come from a medical professional (not necessarily an MD) with whom you have worked. No more than three individual letters or one committee letter or one letter packet containing a maximum of three individual letters will be considered in evaluating your application. All letters must be included in your AMCAS application.

We require either three letters of recommendation, one committee letter, or one letter packet containing no more than three letters. Whichever you choose, we would like to see at least one recommendation letter from a medical professional with whom you have worked.

Do not write an essay about the MCAT.

Since the prompt uses the phrase major setback, I would think of it as a one-time event/outcome as opposed to your experience with a chronic health problem.
Would overcoming my panic attacks be feasible?

Was anyone else charged $128.25 instead of the informed $125? Why wouldn't they disclose that before you submit your payment?

Did you guys get a completion email or a check on the portal after submitting the secondary?

If I sent more than 3 letters of rec, would they just pick a random 3 of them to look at?
I called them up, she said it’s not a random process but essentially they’ll look at 3 out of the 4.

2023-2024 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin) Secondary Essay Prompts (150 words each)(questions 3 and 4 are different from last year's prompts)

Interview feedback:

If we are still a student (going to be a senior), should I just re-state the activities I put in my AMCAS? Most of them, I am going to be continuing during my senior year.

And can I copy the description from my amcas entry?? Idk what to do with the short word limit.

If we are still a student (going to be a senior), should I just re-state the activities I put in my AMCAS? Most of them, I am going to be continuing during my senior year.

And can I copy the description from my amcas entry?? Idk what to do with the short word limit.
It says briefly. Do not copy the descriptions. just quickly say you will be completing your final year of college. You can then give a couple sentences describing how you are continuing doing x, y and z (whatever your major time commitments outside of school are like research or a clinical experience).

Hey did anyone just get an email saying there were missing materials from your application? My MCAT score and secondary were submitted

Did you take AAMC Preview?
Is PREview required? On the website it says they are "recommending it to stu..." If so, will not taking it hurt my chances, I've heard others schools just disregard it if you don't take it. Thanks in advance

Is PREview required? On the website it says they are "recommending it to stu..." If so, will not taking it hurt my chances, I've heard others schools just disregard it if you don't take it. Thanks in advance
I'm wondering this too. Did you get an answer?

Just received an email saying my application folder is complete. lmfao, I thought It was complete when I submitted my secondary, but I guess not.

Just received an email saying my application folder is complete. lmfao, I thought It was complete when I submitted my secondary, but I guess not.
If it makes you feel any better I submitted my secondary then forgot for two weeks to submit my LORs so who knows how long mine will take lmao

Secondary submitted 7/10. Complete email received just now