Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

...and thats it haha. I am just saying that its a nice gesture for them remembering specifics about an applicant and possible future student. Anyone else receive a letter as such??

Members don't see this ad.

Can an accepted candidate enlighten me on about how many days to hear back from admissions after an interview? I have a deposit deadline approaching for a different school and don't exactly feel like throwing out $1000... Thanks!

I heard back in 11 days

Can an accepted candidate enlighten me on about how many days to hear back from admissions after an interview? I have a deposit deadline approaching for a different school and don't exactly feel like throwing out $1000... Thanks!

I heard back within 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received a thank you and hope to see you next summer letter a few days ago. the more interesting part was the hand written note at the bottom of it. They know how to reel someone in alright...
Same here! Couldn't believe the personalized handwritten note, what a nice touch!

Hi all,
I am thinking of selling my unit on 3031 Grand Avenue ( right across the street from DMU). If anyone is interested, please let me know. It was built in 2004, and is a very clean unit 2b/2bath. If cannot sell this year, I am even open to renting it out. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Just received hand written note with personalized notes on what they liked about me, as well as encouraging me to accept. This was literally the icing in the cake, WOW!

Reactions: 1 user
I just re-scheduled my interview to Friday, December 6th. Anyone else interview that day?

Hey were there any more interview spots in December?
That I don't know. My original schedule was 1/17 then I read on previous DMU blog and there were other applicants who were able to have their interview rescheduled. So give them a call whenever you can, they were super nice to me.

That I don't know. My original schedule was 1/17 then I read on previous DMU blog and there were other applicants who were able to have their interview rescheduled. So give them a call whenever you can, they were super nice to me.

Thanks..it kinda sucks that I already bought my plane ticket..

Pre-interview hold:wow:.....when i called them and asked why, couldn't tell me but said "your app is good so we don't know why." Very dissappointing for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right!?

I agree, very nice touch but sadly mine missed the mark...he wrote congratulating me on my new job at MGH...I worked there from 2007-2010...and have been at my current job at a private practice since then. But hey nice effort nonetheless!

Can any current students comment on whether or not there is some kind of advising system when it comes to setting up rotations that would be advantageous in getting the residency you want? Or are we completely alone in figuring out where the best sites would be for our career goals? Also, what kind of support do students get from the school come time to apply to residencies?

Can any current students comment on whether or not there is some kind of advising system when it comes to setting up rotations that would be advantageous in getting the residency you want? Or are we completely alone in figuring out where the best sites would be for our career goals? Also, what kind of support do students get from the school come time to apply to residencies?
You will have a clinical coordinator. They help you will all of that stuff.

Can someone elaborate on the laptop/hand-held computers that students get?

Anyone complete in late October hear back for an ii yet? How long did those who did interview hear back after being complete?

I was complete sept 30 and still haven't heard anything yet. 3.77, 3.70, 30 MCAT
+1, almost identical stats... guessing (hoping?) that we applied during peak-ish submission period.

And there's the ii! Completed mid-September! Hope others hear soon too!

Reactions: 1 users
3 dates in December... you'll have to forgive me, can't remember specific dates, maybe 12/6 and 12/13 were available. Early/mid january were claimed, late January had several openings. Things are a bit busy for me, so I'll be waiting until mid-January.

Congrats! Are there still interviews dates left in December or are they all next year basically?

I scheduled my interview about 3 weeks ago and there weren't any December dates left when I checked...the admission office said they would call me if any interview dates open up in December but I haven't heard from them yet.

I scheduled my interview about 3 weeks ago and there weren't any December dates left when I checked...the admission office said they would call me if any interview dates open up in December but I haven't heard from them yet.

don't be afraid to call them and ask for an earlier date if you see someone here cancel theirs. I did that and ended up getting a date a month earlier than my original one.

3 dates in December... you'll have to forgive me, can't remember specific dates, maybe 12/6 and 12/13 were available. Early/mid january were claimed, late January had several openings. Things are a bit busy for me, so I'll be waiting until mid-January.

Oh wow, 2 weeks ago when I scheduled there was NOTHING before January.

I guess a few dates opened up. I'll probably try to move mine up.

Apparently I spoke a little too soon. I received my ii today as well. Scheduled mine for Jan. 31 and I'm really excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
II on 11/25, complete 10/9

Scheduled for mid-Jan, but I'm going to try and move my date up.

Just contacted them today and was able to move my interview date back from 1/9 to 12/12! I can't wait to see the school!

Returned from a small vacation to find an acceptance email. Better start gettin' my jumper back for some pick-up ball.

Info for those who care:

Interview invite on 11/7
Interviewed on 11/14
Acceptance email received on 11/22

3.7/30Q

Can someone elaborate on the laptop/hand-held computers that students get?
I interviewed a couple weeks ago and this was one of my questions. My understanding is that the students that matriculated this fall received laptops (Toshiba) and had the option to purchase an iPad through the school. The laptops must be used for taking exams. I don't think I spoke to anyone who had purchased an iPad but in my opinion, it might be nice to have the course packets on there like some other schools do. One of the faculty vaguely spoke of probably "going all mac products" in the future but yeah, it sounded like he wasn't sure.

Do you think the students that interview on the 6th will find out if they are accepted before they go on break for the holiday?

You guys...I am so nervous. I interviewed on 11/22 and I felt like my interview did not go so well (maybe I'm dwelling on the tough questions, but it was definitely tougher than my other interviews). But I loooooove this school, and it is 99.9% likely that I will attend if I get in. Kyle told our group we would likely hear back this week, and I have been checking my email every 10 minutes for the last 2 days...send me good thoughts!!

You guys...I am so nervous. I interviewed on 11/22 and I felt like my interview did not go so well (maybe I'm dwelling on the tough questions, but it was definitely tougher than my other interviews). But I loooooove this school, and it is 99.9% likely that I will attend if I get in. Kyle told our group we would likely hear back this week, and I have been checking my email every 10 minutes for the last 2 days...send me good thoughts!!

hey mnspice: i felt the same way after my interview. i've never had a three-person panel interview before, so i was totally nervous, and stuttered more than any other interviews i had. i do think, though, that if your interview was indeed tough, it was more that they were trying to see how you would react under pressure, and even more so, to see that you're a normal human being. so as long as you answer the main questions honestly and whole-heartedly (why medicine? why osteopathic medicine? why DMU?), you'll be fine. regardless, you can't do anything about it. i was fortunate enough to have received an acceptance a week later. good luck!:) and don't be checking your email that often -- go relax or do something to take your mind off of the interview.

For those nervous about a bad interview, i have interviewed candidates with a lot of the faculty and I have seen interviewers hammer into an applicant asking about all their weaknesses, making the interview tough, seeing the candidate get very uncomfortable, etc. and then having the candidate leave and that interviewer saying, "wow, i really like that person and hope they come here." i have also seen interviews go well with good and bad outcomes. so just be yourself and answer honestly.

also as another protip, we do look at apps as well, so if you go on and on about rural primary care yet all of your shadowing and experience has been at a chicago orthopedic clinic, we see through it. and have a good answer to "why osteopathic medicine and DMU." i have seen more people get waitlisted on those two questions alone.

Do you think the students that interview on the 6th will find out if they are accepted before they go on break for the holiday?
From what I read from last year's thread, many students heard back within a week or two. So my guess is that we might be able to hear back before the holidays

From what I read from last year's thread, many students heard back within a week or two. So my guess is that we might be able to hear back before the holidays

That would be awesome! It would be a long holiday if we didn't find out! Hah

Hey guys,
I know that many of you have been asking about the laptop situation. If you have been accepted and are part of the 2018 FB group, you have probably seen some of the input from some of my classmates. These next few weeks are very busy for us, loaded with exams, but I just wanted to take the time and quickly give you my two cents on the whole laptop and iPad situation. I should begin by saying that prior to medical school, I was a mac user (MacBook Pro) and I was absolutely in love with my mac and dead set on using it during school. But, with that comes some challenges.

First of all, I would recommend using the school computer for everything. One, it's nice to have a computer that is purely for school work, and another that you use for paying bills, downloading music or breaking bad, etc. etc. Second, when it comes to watching lectures, I believe that our school laptop has a set media player that allows you to easily speed up or slow down the lecturer to the desired speed. I'm sure you could just download the player onto your mac but it would just be an added hassle. Also, this year (and I believe this applies to your class too), our school computers came with an amazing program called OneNote. It allows you to download the powerpoint for lecture to the program and group them based on the class and lecture. After loading the powerpoint on the program, you can type anything/anywhere on the slide or in the margin, highlight, draw arrows.. etc. etc. It makes it easy to take detailed notes and do whatever you want. The computers are also extremely fast and despite downloading every single lecture from first semester onto my school issued laptop, it hasn't shown one sign of slowing down. Lastly, even though they recently changed the printing, I know some people who were using macs had issues with printing at school. I actually think that many people who were initially using Macs couldn't even print anything because of the printer settings. The school issued laptop makes it easy to add a printer know as student printer to your printer settings, allowing you to print any document that you desire. Once you send a document to this printer, you can then print it to any of the printers at the school. You just send the document to that one printer in the printer settings and then, when you see a printer on campus (it can be any printer, anywhere on campus), you just walk up to it with your badge, swipe your badge, and it will print it for you. The printer will know it was you who printed it because of your badge/and your school issued computer. This eliminates all the confusion of sending a document to a specific printer on campus (which was how it was set up previously). So, for all the reasons mentioned above, I would highly recommend using the school laptop and giving up on the idea of using your home computer/laptop as a substitute.

As far as the iPad goes, I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. There are a number of anatomy apps that helped me immensely and they are all on the iPAD. Also, for cell bio/histology, the iPad is not a must, but it does prove to be helpful. The instructor puts everything on the ipad, so that you have the handouts, lecture powerpoint, lecture quiz, and all microscope slides available in one place. If you choose not to get the iPAD, you still have access to all this material through your laptop, but you have to download everything onto the computer. With the iPad, it is just set up as an Ibook and everything from each lecture is in one place. There are also ways of taking a powerpoint, converting it into a PDF, throwing that PDF into dropbox, and then opening that file in what is known as the app Notability, allowing you to take notes on each of the slides (similar to OneNote). A lot of people like doing this. I don't do this for every lecture, BUT, occasionally i find it beneficial to take notes in this fashion depending on the subject/lecture. And so, for those reasons, I would also highly recommend getting the iPad (again not a must, but can be beneficial for reasons stated above). Hope this helps and if you guys have any questions, post here or on the FB page and me and one of my classmates will try to get to it as we get through the next few weeks of exams. Hope to see you guys in the fall!

Last edited: