Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
interviewing here in Jan:

Have heard wonderful things about this place!

Questions:

Late jan interview is late in the game i read they end interviews in Feb, so for those interviewing late do we have less of a chance and need greater numbers for acceptance?

Does the interview day involve walking around outside because i am looking at the temps for des moines and i am seeing things like 12,0,-7, 32 etc....should i wear running tights underneath my suit or what? i don't want freeze if we walk outside a lot!

There are tunnels, and any outside walking is minimal for touring the school during interview day. Also, I interviewed in late January with 3.3/3.3/29 and was accepted. I can't say exactly what that means, but just putting it out there for ya. Good luck, everybody!

interviewing here in Jan:

Have heard wonderful things about this place!

Questions:

Late jan interview is late in the game i read they end interviews in Feb, so for those interviewing late do we have less of a chance and need greater numbers for acceptance?

Does the interview day involve walking around outside because i am looking at the temps for des moines and i am seeing things like 12,0,-7, 32 etc....should i wear running tights underneath my suit or what? i don't want freeze if we walk outside a lot!

It is rolling admissions so you do have slightly less of a chance but they allocate spots for that timeframe. Also, 3/5 students that I spoke with all interviewed in January/February. Don't fret about what you can't control.

For the tour, we didn't step foot outside as they have underground tunnels between buildings, which is a huge plus because it was freezing when I went as well.

clever...underground tunnels!

one other question(S)

i fly out the next day so ill spend the night in des moines.....i would like to go do things...where should i go? good bars? restaurants? places to see?

Last edited:

one other question(S)

i fly out the next day so ill spend the night in des moines.....i would like to go do things...where should i go? good bars? restaurants? places to see?

Not sure what you are looking for but the Royal Mile is a local favorite. Very relaxed, british food and a plethora of alcohol.

Reactions: 1 user

one other question(S)

Zombie Burger and Fongs are great food venues. Up Down is awesome (old arcade games and a bar). Americana has great brunch. Court avenue has the best bars downtown. If you go to West Des Moines, West Glenn has a fun nightlife as well.

Good luck.

That's great. Are you accepting?
I'm pretty sure. DMU was my top choice. And interview day kind of sealed it for me. I'll keep my options open but it will take a lot to sway my decision. Luckily it's only 500 now. Then the rest isn't due until May 1st. Plenty of time to decide.

one more random question, does the gym have a indoor running track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they have an indoor running track

The running track circles some of the gym equipment

thats awesome they have a indoor track..i cant imagine much going on outside when its -2 its hard to find indoor tracks i havent seen many in schools

Not sure where this should go, please move if necessary....

Here's my dilema: DMU is my top school because I'm from central Iowa and I love the area and the people in it. But the specialty that I want to go into (OB/GYN) only has a residency program in Iowa City at UofI. I will obviously apply out of state when the time comes, but would really want to stay in state and as close to DM as possible. So, what do you guys think about chances of a residency program being created in DM within the next 5 years? It seems like a good place to create one as there are 3 very large hospitals in the area that have a plethora of other residency programs. Not to mention, Blank Children's Hospital for possible learning opportunities there.

Not sure where this should go, please move if necessary....

Here's my dilema: DMU is my top school because I'm from central Iowa and I love the area and the people in it. But the specialty that I want to go into (OB/GYN) only has a residency program in Iowa City at UofI. I will obviously apply out of state when the time comes, but would really want to stay in state and as close to DM as possible. So, what do you guys think about chances of a residency program being created in DM within the next 5 years? It seems like a good place to create one as there are 3 very large hospitals in the area that have a plethora of other residency programs. Not to mention, Blank Children's Hospital for possible learning opportunities there.

an OB/GYN residency in the next 5 years? I would guess slim to none. There haven't been any talkings or rumblings about one.

Letter of intent helps here? Placed on hold in mid September. Still not have heard after 60 days so I assume I'm still on hold?

Im of course willing to move the family when that time comes, but was being hopeful. Thanks for the input.

Does it always take around 60 days to hear back? Or have some of you heard back a lot sooner?

Was thinking about submitting my app tonight? Too late in the game ?

Hey guys I'm 90% sure I will be attending dmu next year. I was wondering should I go ahead and apply for fafsa yet ? Thanks for you guys' help!

Hey guys I'm 90% sure I will be attending dmu next year. I was wondering should I go ahead and apply for fafsa yet ? Thanks for you guys' help!

Yeah I was gonna start working on that soon.

If I remember correctly you can list multiple schools when applying for FAFSA. That way those who are undecided or have multiple wait lists don't miss the deadline while waiting for an answer. Might as well get it done and out of the way!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that still have interviews coming up: Next year's class is about half full as of now and they are still accepting students from every interview date (source: email sent out to student interviewers today) So don't give up hope!

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you that still have interviews coming up: Next year's class is about half full as of now and they are still accepting students from every interview date (source: email sent out to student interviewers today) So don't give up hope!

Thank you for the information! I feel less nervous interviewing so late.

how full is the class and how much would a feb/march interview put me at a "disadvantage"?

do they have the student housing thing/current student gathering type thing the night before the interview? i would like to ask a few questions to current students

i looked at the website but didnt find much

They said don't update until march if you were wait listed.

Did anyone that interviewed December 13th accept an offer?

hi all. I'm interviewing on the 30th, and would like some insight as to what to focus on. I have done my research on DMU and it is only one of 3 DO schools I applied to. Do they emphasize 'why DMU' or 'why DO' more?

They will tell you everything you need to know about the school throughout the day. Just make sure you pay attention and take notes either in your head or on paper.

Review your application thoroughly and know it like the back of your hand.

Definitely know "why DO" and be ready to answer "why DMU" by the end of the day.

For those of you who recently received an ii, when did you submit your secondary? Thanks.