Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-interview alternate. :( Does anyone know if DMU has a history of drawing from its alternate pool?
During my interview day they said "alternate list may be used, but not 100% sure". BUT after talking with the student who gave me my tour, he told me several of his friends (didn't give me an exact number) were taken off of the alternate list last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Post-interview alternate. :( Does anyone know if DMU has a history of drawing from its alternate pool?
I was pulled off the alternate list last year. They will send out an email asking you to confirm your interest in the alternate list sometime in April. (Essentially an online form we filled out to still be considered for a seat. You had to respond to be considered for a seat.) They allowed us to submit updates for our file until April 25th. In early May we were all sent our quartile rank for the list. I've heard that most years you have a pretty good chance if you're in the first quartile. Last year they said in the alternate list email that they anticipated making 'considerable offers of admission' to candidates on the list. I was accepted a few weeks later. So it is possible to get off the list :)

Reactions: 1 users
My interview is on 11/14! I am staying for one night at the Hyatt Place. Does anyone know if 6th avenue has good places to eat lunch & dinner and fun things to do while I am there? I am from California and not familiar at all with the Midwest region

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is on 11/14! I am staying for one night at the Hyatt Place. Does anyone know if 6th avenue has good places to eat lunch & dinner and fun things to do while I am there? I am from California and not familiar at all with the Midwest region

Just recently interviewed here and stayed at the Hyatt. Solid breakfast provided by the hotel itself. There's a pizza/bar called Fong's place that's a 5 minute walk from the hotel. I had the Fongsgiving pizza, which was thanksgiving on a pizza, and it was dope. Definitely recommend.

Reactions: 1 user
Just recently interviewed here and stayed at the Hyatt. Solid breakfast provided by the hotel itself. There's a pizza/bar called Fong's place that's a 5 minute walk from the hotel. I had the Fongsgiving pizza, which was thanksgiving on a pizza, and it was dope. Definitely recommend.
Thanks! :happy:

Hey I'm also interviewing on 11/14!!!!! I fly in at 11am Sunday. I'm staying at Des Lux Hotel also just for Sunday night. If you, or others, would like to meet up to hang out, eat, anything... Let me know!!

Last edited:
Just got invited for an interview here. Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees are accepted

II just now! Got the complete email on 9/30. So excited to interview here based on everything I've heard about this school!

The earliest interview slot available for me is this thursday. But I have not been preparing for my interview at all yet and am quite nervous. Seeing that DMUCOM is rolling admissions should I interview this thursday or wait until December 2nd, which gives me more time to practice? If you were in this situation what would you do? Is it necessary to practice that much for interviews?

The earliest interview slot available for me is this thursday. But I have not been preparing for my interview at all yet and am quite nervous. Seeing that DMUCOM is rolling admissions should I interview this thursday or wait until December 2nd, which gives me more time to practice? If you were in this situation what would you do? Is it necessary to practice that much for interviews?

If short notice traveling isn't a problem for you and it doesn't make you too anxious, I would take the one for Thursday. But December 2nd isn't too much later, so if it makes you more comfortable then choose that one. It's not like it's this Thursday or February.

I'm in the same boat too. I opted for December because I want to make sure that I'm well prepped for the interview :thumbup:

you really don't need practice for DMU's interview. Know your app, know why you want to go to DMU, know why you want to be a doctor and you'll be fine.

I second @redsox93 , if you can go earlier do it. I don't know how much a month of preparing would really help. Just know the main questions like why med, why DO, why this school and be able to talk about your app and you should be golden. I say the sooner the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long DMU allows for a decision to be made by a candidate after an acceptance has been offered?

Does anyone know how long DMU allows for a decision to be made by a candidate after an acceptance has been offered?

According to the tour guides on my interview, they said within 2-3 weeks. Maybe more or less depending.

Ignore what I just said. Listen to the post below mine.

Last edited:

I received and II on a Wed. this cycle, proceeded to interview that Friday! I definitely do not regret this. The interview was super relaxed, the presentations given to you allow you to learn a ton about DMU, and their website was easy to reference! For me, the sooner I can get to a school after II the better because I often overthink what they may or may not ask, and I psych myself out. It was an all around positive experience for me, and they ended up accepting me! Wishing you luck on you interview whenever it is scheduled!

I received and II on a Wed. this cycle, proceeded to interview that Friday! I definitely do not regret this. The interview was super relaxed, the presentations given to you allow you to learn a ton about DMU, and their website was easy to reference! For me, the sooner I can get to a school after II the better because I often overthink what they may or may not ask, and I psych myself out. It was an all around positive experience for me, and they ended up accepting me! Wishing you luck on you interview whenever it is scheduled!
Thanks!! I ended up opting for the december 2nd slot. I have an interview at MSUCOM this upcoming wednesday though. Got my fingers crossed.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 11/3. Loved this school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Also accepted 11/10 and interviewed at 11/3! Does anyone know if there's an accepted students day?

Are you here? I'm in my hotel. If you or anyone else interviewing with us tomorrow wants to get together and eat or explore I would really like that!!

I posted this a few weeks back on this thread but here is the info again.

Just got invited for an interview here. Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees are accepted

Also for people wondering about overall percentages/acceptances. Here is the information published by DMU. Interviewed to accepted rate is 73.7%! Edit: This data is from 2015

Applications: 5123
II: 870
Actual Interviews: 669
Acceptances: 493
Matriculate: 221

I visited Des Moines from Alaska (before I got my rejection ...) and my husband and I ate lunch at a restaurant called Centro downtown which made the whole trip worth it ;)) But seriously, the food was really good and very reasonably priced!

I visited Des Moines from Alaska (before I got my rejection ...) and my husband and I ate lunch at a restaurant called Centro downtown which made the whole trip worth it ;)) But seriously, the food was really good and very reasonably priced!
Centro is absolutely amazing, definitely was the highlight of exploring Des Moines for me

Withdrawing my acceptance here. A fantastic school for sure but I am blessed to have a better option at a school closer to home.

Good luck to everyone! DMU really is a very thought out and well organized school.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if they've offered their scholarships yet? They mentioned that they do this in November, but not sure if its been done or not.

Thanks peeps

Does anyone know if they've offered their scholarships yet? They mentioned that they do this in November, but not sure if its been done or not.

Thanks peeps
Yes, I received a scholarship last week

Thanks peeps

Yes, I received a scholarship last week

Oh wow I wonder if that means they already handed them out before I was accepted. I didn't even realize it was a possibility to get one until I saw the first post but then I got a little glimmer of hope.

I'm very impressed so far with the turnaround at DMU. I think it took a week or so to get the complete email after submitting the secondary, and literally a few days to get an II after said email. They said it could be up to 8 weeks I believe to receive an interview decision, and I'm very happy to report that I will be having my first DO interview before the first of the year!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm very impressed so far with the turnaround at DMU. I think it took a week or so to get the complete email after submitting the secondary, and literally a few days to get an II after said email. They said it could be up to 8 weeks I believe to receive an interview decision, and I'm very happy to report that I will be having my first DO interview before the first of the year!

I heard back in 4 days after my interview.

I heard back in 4 days after my interview.

That's great, congratulations on your acceptance! I just realized the wording was confusing in my post...I meant to say that they estimated up to 8 weeks before I would know if I got an II or not, but it only took a few days. Hopefully I hear back as soon after my interview as you did!

That's great, congratulations on your acceptance! I just realized the wording was confusing in my post...I meant to say that they estimated up to 8 weeks before I would know if I got an II or not, but it only took a few days. Hopefully I hear back as soon after my interview as you did!
Ohhhh sorry I misunderstood. And thank you! Hopefully it will be you soon too!

I've been complete since 9/12 and still have not heard anything yet...is that normal?

Well, I called about a week ago and they said it can take up to 75 days due to the high volume of applicants

II for December 16th, not sure if I should attend or not. Can anyone shed light on how Des Moines stacks up against KCU

II for December 16th, not sure if I should attend or not. Can anyone shed light on how Des Moines stacks up against KCU
To abbreviate a quote I saw @Goro recently put: "KCU>DMU>RVU"

Then he stated something about preceptor based rotations..,

Does anyone know if there will be an accepted students day so that we can re-visit the campus? If so, does anyone remember approximately when in the past this day was?

This question might have been asked, but for some reason my SDN search function isn't working.