Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How should I answer their secondary question if I do not have any exposure to DO physicians?

The question asks for exposure to DOs and how they shaped your desire to become one

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-Interview hold here 8/26. Application complete 7/15.

Reactions: 1 user
II received yesterday! Secondary complete and received 8/1. DMU is in my top three so I am half fist-pumping right now! (The other half comes after an acceptance :laugh:)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same! Will be there later september

Just now? Congrats!!! What we're your stats?

I interviewed on 8/19 which was their 3rd interview. I'm really happy about their quick turnaround!

To those wondering about interview advice, don't sweat over this school. Everyone in my group had a really great interview. Very conversational. Be prepared to answer questions about your experiences and how they have shaped you. That's what I had the most of. There were no crazy curveballs, ethical questions, or problem solving for me. The entire interview day is very relaxed and welcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long do you have to respond once they send you an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long do you have to respond once they send you an acceptance?

On interview day they said that the first non-refundable seat deposit is due in mid Dec. It seems like that's the time that you really have to put your money where your mouth is. The acceptance email didn't have many details, but it will come in a follow-up email.

Reactions: 1 users
On interview day they said that the first non-refundable seat deposit is due in mid Dec. It seems like that's the time that you really have to put your money where your mouth is. The acceptance email didn't have many details, but it will come in a follow-up email.

Thank you very much!

Accepted, first one!! Happy Friday and best of luck to everyone still waiting on decisions. :happy:

Reactions: 5 users
Any advice for the interview? Just scheduled mine. Also congrats on the acceptance!

When did you interview?

I interviewed on 8/25.

I'll echo what @gertlush said about the interview. The interview is very conversational and laid back. There were no surprise or trick questions. Know your application and be able to discuss your experiences in a meaningful way, but don't sweat it. It seemed that the interview was all about trying to get to know the applicant to determine how well you will fit in their community.

A current student shared with my group that the most important thing you can do is be genuine. They want to know who you are, not if you memorized the right answers. I think it was good advice.

I would love to hear from this school... Congrats to you all who were accepted!

Accepted as well, Im going to be a doctor!!!!! Had to read the email like 5 times to make sure it was saying what I thought it was. Interviewed 8/25

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to all the docs in the house!

I genuinely want this school to show me some love soon

Reactions: 5 users
I would love to hear a current student's thoughts on the program and curriculum. I have an II but am wondering if I should go or not.

I would love to hear a current student's thoughts on the program and curriculum. I have an II but am wondering if I should go or not.

I would go. I loved my interview day and was impressed by the school as a whole. Your options won't be limited because of your school if you go here

Congrats to those recently accepted! :) For those who have interviewed, what would be a safe time for the earliest flight out? And is the airport DSM?

The interview day is done around 3pm, depending on when you interview and how long your tour runs. The airport (yes, DSM) is super close (about 15 minutes away, and uber is very easy there). I would say a flight out at 6 or 7pm would probably be safe.

Accepted! Excited for the offer, but I'll be declining.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Absolutely loved this school and their interview day. For those of you who have an interview, have fun with it!

I was complete (secondary) in mid-July. Has anyone else been complete for 50+ days with no response? (For those curious I'm 507 and 3.5+) I'll wait the full 60 days before contacting them, but I didn't know if anyone else was in a similar situation?

I was complete (secondary) in mid-July. Has anyone else been complete for 50+ days with no response? (For those curious I'm 507 and 3.5+) I'll wait the full 60 days before contacting them, but I didn't know if anyone else was in a similar situation?

Same here as well. Similar stats.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Same here as well. Similar stats.

You guys are probably on pre-interview hold. You should have received an email. It doesn't hurt to ask. This admissions is receptive to emails.

(They will remind you that they emailed you though haha)

You guys are probably on pre-interview hold. You should have received an email. It doesn't hurt to ask. This admissions is receptive to emails.

(They will remind you that they emailed you though haha)

That's what I've been wondering, I just haven't gotten an email since the complete email (even checking spam folders). I'll contact them once I hit the 60 day mark!

That's what I've been wondering, I just haven't gotten an email since the complete email (even checking spam folders). I'll contact them once I hit the 60 day mark!

I did not receive an email either. Certain of it.

Complete 7/15 and no email here either. They still have 1 more week!

I am in the same boat and I contacted them. They said I am still under review.

I submitted the secondary 7/8 and have not heard a peep since then, no complete email either. LizzyM ~69

I submitted the secondary 7/8 and have not heard a peep since then, no complete email either. LizzyM ~69

If you haven't gotten a complete email, I would go ahead and give the school a call. They could be missing a letter of recommendation or something? It's definitely worth checking up on!

I would definitely call. It took me exactly 2 weeks to receive a complete email after submitting. I emailed them a few days before receiving it and they told me if I did not receive an email at the two week mark then I should let them know.

+1 aboard the almost 60 day train.. one more week!

Just got the acceptance yesterday! I'm beyond thrilled. DMU is absolutely amazing! Anyone start a class of 2021 page yet?

Don't be way too eager about not hearing back yet. I talked to the admissions people on the phone twice and they were just saying how busy they were. She fully overemphasized that I should wait to hear and contacting them won't speed up the process. I don't think it'll look bad to contact them, but I'm positive they would appreciate everyone's patience from the way it sounded.

I
If you haven't gotten a complete email, I would go ahead and give the school a call. They could be missing a letter of recommendation or something? It's definitely worth checking up on!

emailed and apparently they sent out a complete email in mid July that I never received. I have been under review for 58 days. They said they will let me know before the 60 day limit, so today or tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
I

emailed and apparently they sent out a complete email in mid July that I never received. I have been under review for 58 days. They said they will let me know before the 60 day limit, so today or tomorrow.

Rejected pre-interview.

Sorry to hear that, although I am sure you have many other options. Did you just receive the email?