Des Moines University vs. Rocky Vista

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradoguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a very hard time deciding between two schools I was accepted at: Rocky Vista or Des Moines University. As I understand it the advantage to Des Moines University is that it is more established. The difficulty of the decision is that I live in Colorado which is a beautiful and great place to live and where I have lots of friends and family (although most of them live about an hour away from the school).

The big question I have is what real significant advantages does Des Moines offer over Rocky Vista, and will it likely affect the quality of residency I am able to obtain. I appreciate any good insight.

Members don't see this ad.

If you choose Des Moines, you will live 4 years in a fly-over state and will be able to spend the rest of your life working in Colorado amidst the beautiful mountains.

If you choose Rocky Vista, you will spend 4 years looking at beautiful mountains from the library window, and then you will be able to spend the rest of your life driving a cab in a fly-over state paying off med school loans.

Both schools have reputations, except that Rocky Vista (aren't they owned by DeVry anyway?) has a bad one.

Members don't see this ad :)
My research led me to withdraw my 2° from RVU. Just a neurotic guy, personally.

DMU = safer bet.

I'd probably pick DMU over many schools, not just RVU.

The difficulty of the decision is that I live in Colorado which is a beautiful and great place to live and where I have lots of friends and family (although most of them live about an hour away from the school).

I don't think I need to rehash that DMU is a more established school, but, remember, being happy is the most important.

If your family and friends mean a lot to you, then stay in Colorado. After all, med school is what you make of it, you can be an awesome student at a mediocre school, or a mediocre student in an awesome school. Personally, I believe being a depressed medical student will help neither grades nor residency chances. I personally turned down DMU to go to a less established school because I didn't think I could live in Iowa for 4 years apart from my social group.

I don't think I need to rehash that DMU is a more established school, but, remember, being happy is the most important.

If your family and friends mean a lot to you, then stay in Colorado. After all, med school is what you make of it, you can be an awesome student at a mediocre school, or a mediocre student in an awesome school. Personally, I believe being a depressed medical student will help neither grades nor residency chances. I personally turned down DMU to go to a less established school because I didn't think I could live in Iowa for 4 years apart from my social group.

Respect for posing an alternate argument. :thumbup:

Definitely agree with this post here.

I find it ironic how the success of RVU is changing DO schools yet people here are still willing to hate on it to no end.

OP you know the difference between the schools, you interviewed at them. You know the difference in your situation and preference. You know DMU is more established and RVU has a slight negative bias (on top of the bias of being a DO school). DMU has negatives more than just being in Iowa and I'm sure you know that as well.

No one can answer this for you because it is all on you. A 240 at RVU will get you farther than a 210 at DMU, school reputation is gone at that point (so I've been led to believe). Also keep in mind you're in medical school and the state you live in will affect your life very little if you are spending a significant amount of time studying. I saw people at NSU that were pale as ghosts!

I find it ironic how the success of RVU is changing DO schools yet people here are still willing to hate on it to no end.

Please elaborate on the bolded.

The entire premise of for profit education is sketchy in itself.

While generally I would tell you to go where you will be happiest (RVU) I believe in this situation the reputation and the financial implications of one school versus the other are so vast that you have to go to DMU. DMU is a great school, it is really more like 3 years then you can try to schedule 4th year rotations in CO. Not to mention taking out PRIVATE loans at RVU is a pitta.

Survivor DO

While generally I would tell you to go where you will be happiest (RVU) I believe in this situation the reputation and the financial implications of one school versus the other are so vast that you have to go to DMU. DMU is a great school, it is really more like 3 years then you can try to schedule 4th year rotations in CO. Not to mention taking out PRIVATE loans at RVU is a pitta.

Survivor DO

RVU students have access to federal loans. I wish the disinformation machine would seize up, but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen.

As to the whole idea of RVU "changing DO schools", lets not go overboard, but there have been reps from a few schools visiting campus looking at our curriculum in order to form/revamp their own. Also, RVU is the only medical school in the nation with the 'Cut-suit' technology which is garnering a lot of attention (two other schools are now trying to get their own). The school is doing some novel things with positive results, and they are getting attention as a result.

DMU is a great school. Ultimately there are a plethora of factors that should be in play when choosing between schools. I encourage you to make the decision for yourself and limit how much you are influenced by some anonymous yahoos on a website who obviously are too lazy to actually do their research.

If you choose Rocky Vista, you will spend 4 years looking at beautiful mountains from the library window, and then you will be able to spend the rest of your life driving a cab in a fly-over state paying off med school loans.

Yeah, nope. That's not true. If you graduate from RVU you will still be a DO and are just as likely to match into a residency as any other school. Whether it closes you off to certain residencies due to bias is up for debate (but probably)

I would go to DMU because it is a well established school and solid program. You can be assured of a quality curriculum and miss the bumps in the road that occur in newer schools. You'll probably be leaving Colorado anyways for residency since it doesn't seem to be a DO friendly state

Thanks for that Cipher... Our residents are matching into their 1 & 2 spots, they're doing well on the boards, etc... Go to the school you feel the best about, and work hard and it will work out... I agree that depressed students don't do well, I've seen it...

oh... and to those of you who rip on it, at least get your facts straight... we're not owned by Devry... good grief...

DMU

I would argue that moving elsewhere away from your family and friends offers great room for personal growth. Go on out there and make your own way in the world. If you want to move back to Colorado afterwards, that's always an option. In the meantime you get to study at an institution with a rock solid reputation, reliable support network, and in a relatively nice area. PLUS, you would get to vote in a 2016 presidential caucus (if you happen to be a political enthusiast, this might be the biggest selling point).

In sum total, go with your gut. If you weren't already feeling a pull to DMU, it wouldn't be a question.

If you choose Des Moines, you will live 4 years in a fly-over state and will be able to spend the rest of your life working in Colorado amidst the beautiful mountains.

Both schools have reputations, except that Rocky Vista (aren't they owned by DeVry anyway?) has a bad one.

You are a premed idiot!!!
Yes DMU is more known & established school, but do not underestimate RVU.
Here are few people I know from RVU that matched this year at
Ortho - MD
Optho - MD
Anesthesia MD at Harvard, Colorado
Radiation Oncology - MD.... you heard that right.... RADIATION ONCOLOGY

Last edited:
Gas at Mayo and GWU in DC... a bunch of spots at Univ of CO (they supposedly hate RVU students), a fair number into ROAD specialties, except Derm, I don't think anyone applied, but I am not certain...

2013 MATCH RESULTS BY DISCIPLINE, NUMBER MATCHED AND RESIDENCY LOCATION

DISCIPLINE

MATCHED

RESIDENCY LOCATION

ANESTHESIOLOGY

Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX

George Washington Univ-DC

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor

U Kansas SOM-Kansas City

Riverside County Regional, Moreno Valley, CA

McLaren-Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI

Med Coli Wisconsin Affil Hosps