Does Baylor College of Medicine Discriminate Undergrad Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks in advance.

I'm currently a sophomore at a big school in Texas. As I've been going through college, I've heard that BCM (which I am very interested in) looks at the undergrad institution attended and includes that in the acceptance process. Is this true? I feel like I have / will have good stats and ECs/etc. by the time it comes to apply, but I just don't want to feel that I could have had a higher chance of getting in if I had gone to UT, because I was accepted there as well. I love where I go though. I'm just worried of how Baylor may take it, if that makes sense.

Also, what do you guys think if I spent 5 years in undergrad? How would Baylor view that?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

All schools consider what school you're coming from to some degree. You've already made your choice, though, so I wouldn't obsess over it. You shouldn't live your life as a grand checklist for medical school.

If you have decent ECs and stellar GPA/MCAT, it won't matter what school you're coming from.

I'm currently a sophomore at a big school in Texas. As I've been going through college, I've heard that BCM (which I am very interested in) looks at the undergrad institution attended and includes that in the acceptance process. Is this true? I feel like I have / will have good stats and ECs/etc. by the time it comes to apply, but I just don't want to feel that I could have had a higher chance of getting in if I had gone to UT, because I was accepted there as well. I love where I go though. I'm just worried of how Baylor may take it, if that makes sense.

Also, what do you guys think if I spent 5 years in undergrad? How would Baylor view that?

Thank you!

Chances are you won't be good enough for Baylor. Don't sweat it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
All schools consider what school you're coming from to some degree. You've already made your choice, though, so I wouldn't obsess over it. You shouldn't live your life as a grand checklist for medical school.

If you have decent ECs and stellar GPA/MCAT, it won't matter what school you're coming from.

Thanks a lot Bearstronaut, I see what you mean. I've heard BCM places huge emphasis on MCAT. Has anyone else heard similar?

From my observations, Baylor is pretty comparable with other schools in the +/-20 rank range as far as admissions factors. Generally stats of the entering classes are low 3.8's and 34.xish. Roughly 30% of the current 1st years are from Rice or UT Austin but there are people from many other schools, some very prestigious and others not very prestigious.

Thank you!

OP, don't sweat this. I interviewed at Baylor last October, and while some of my fellow interviewers were from Ivies and other big-name schools, others were from small schools that I had never heard of. As other posters have said, your MCAT, GPA, and ECs matter much more than what school you attended.

BCM, and UT-SW for that matter, both have smoking high combination MCAT/GPA averages for their ACCEPTED students. Interestingly, there can be a material difference for all schools between the average accepted MCAT figure and the actual average matriculant figure (see class profiles). In any case, BCM is ranked very highly based on average MCAT/GPA:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

BCM does like to note the diverse majors among its matriculated students and seems to get a good home state variety, even though 75% are programmed to be Texas residents at the time of application.

Last edited:
Chances are I don't have as bad stats as you do, so you should quit trolling on SDN with your jealousy just because you're not happy with your academic achievements. Quit ruining other people's interests.

You are the one trolling, OP.

Anyways, I heard like 1/3 of Rice University applicants get in. Baylor loves Rice, a lot.

If there is any favoritism, it is towards Rice University.

Medpr is actually correct, given the statistical spread of not just matriculating students and not just applicants but undergrad haven't-even-applied med school hopefuls (which is what you are).....and taking into account the stats of baylor accepted students, the odds truly are that you won't be good enough. It's not mean, it's math. By all means strive and beat the odds, but those are the odds. I know where I stand too, there is plenty of room in this boat haha

There are a lot of UT grads at BCM because there are a lot of UT grads looking to go to med school in Texas; if UT grads make up the largest percentage of the pool that BCM is picking from, it makes sense that they would make up a substantial percentage of the eventual class just based on probability. There are a lot of Rice grads at BCM because many of the Rice students wind up volunteering within the TMC/doing research with BCM faculty and thus are a "known quantity," on top of the fact that BCM gives some number of assured-acceptance spots to incoming Rice freshmen each year (and has a similar program with Baylor University and UT-Pan Am).

That said, there are also 5 students in my class from one tiny Texas liberal arts school, as they were all strong candidates that year. Plenty of others are from places I've never heard of. Statistically speaking, any random applicant is probably unlikely to get in, but if you are a strong candidate, you will get a fair look regardless of where you're coming from.

BCM, and UT-SW for that matter, both have smoking high combination MCAT/GPA averages for their ACCEPTED students. Interestingly, there can be a material difference for all schools between the average accepted MCAT figure and the actual average matriculant figure (see class profiles). In any case, BCM is ranked very highly based on average MCAT/GPA:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

BCM does like to note the diverse majors among its matriculated students and seems to get a good home state variety, even though 75% are programmed to be Texas residents at the time of application.

Those rankings are garbage. They're quite possibly the worst rankings I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.