emory or uchicago pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danto45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm trying to decide between emory and pritzker, and thought I would turn to you guys for some advice. They both seem like great programs, and I am having a tough time deciding.

I am really interested in health policy, which draws me to emory and its md/mph program. I also like their new curriculum which gets you to rotations quicker.

I had a great UChicago visit, the people and campus were both wonderful, and it seems like its reputation goes much further (i'm from the east coast, maybe a bias against the south?).

Both cities are obviously great places, and the hot/cold don't scare me. Financially, they're about a wash for me.

Any insights? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reputation isn't an issue, both are good. I would say that if you're interested in public health, go for Emory - it has a good MPH program and is close to the CDC - UChicago is VERY research-focused, so if that's not your thing, you may be in the minority.

Also, I don't know what UChicago's teaching hospitals are, but keep in mind you're going to be rotating/competing for attention with students from 4 other medical schools in the area (maybe not in the same hospitals, but it definitely limits the number of hospitals you experience) vs. at Emory you have the entire city of Atlanta and surrounding areas all to yourself, haha.

I don't really like Emory's weather, but I guess that could be an advantage for some; I would guess Atlanta is slightly cheaper cost of living, and traffic/congestion would be the same in both.

So, in sum, I vote Emory

P.S. If you do decide on UChicago, and interested in health policy, I would check out the MD/MPP program with the Harris School. I did an MPP and I think it'll be very useful in my career, but sometimes you do have the hurdle of explaining it more than an MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.