endodontic residency 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endoapplicant1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I didnt see a post for this years application cycle so I figured that i would start one. What are everyones stats?

Members don't see this ad.

BTW if you are applying with PASS right now you are filling out the old application. The new pass application opens may 14.

Reactions: 1 user
This post is way too early. You should wait until May or June to make this post.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread will pop back in May. Almost everyone’s stats will be good to great. Those will lower class ranks will often come with 3-10 years of experience. It’s a competitive specialty. Good luck!

ADA just updated ADAT Participation List , programs required ADAT or not, on Feb 6th/2020
most of endo programs neither required nor accepted .
your thoughts ?

ADA just updated ADAT Participation List , programs required ADAT or not, on Feb 6th/2020
most of endo programs neither required nor accepted .
your thoughts ?

Email programs regarding ADAT requirements regardless of what that list says. Seems like some programs last year changed their minds last-minute.

Email programs regarding ADAT requirements regardless of what that list says. Seems like some programs last year changed their minds last-minute.
Thanks , so you mean last minute they removed it or added it to their requirements ,
yes email the programs it is the best way to find out ,but seems like most endo programs are going to remove ADAT from their requirements in this cycle bas on this list

Thanks , so you mean last minute they removed it or added it to their requirements ,
yes email the programs it is the best way to find out ,but seems like most endo programs are going to remove ADAT from their requirements in this cycle bas on this list
Seems a little unfair to add it last minute. Not sure why some schools have required it. If you are admitting 3-4 residents out of 90+ applicants I don’t see why you would need a illegitimate standardized test to help you make your decision. Unless they use it to reduce the applicants. But I can’t imagine it does. I know SLU made their applicants take it the last couple years and they always have an above avg amount of applicants.

would someone please help me about this ,
since it is my first time the I am going to apply through ADEA pass , I have a couple of questions about it ,
the new cycle will be open on May 14th and since most programs have changed their deadlines, CHANGED them earlier compare to last years ,
how we are supposed to manage the time to submit the application before THE first deadline?,I heard some schools gave interview in middle of JUN last year and I think we should submit the application by the first week of Jun , so how we can get all these lengthy procedures done , like official transcript, official NBDE, evaluation letters , in almost 3 weeks ? can re applicants carry over some of their previous informations to the new cycle application ?
thank you in advance

since it is my first time the I am going to apply through ADEA pass , I have a couple of questions about it ,
the new cycle will be open on May 14th and since most programs have changed their deadlines, CHANGED them earlier compare to last years ,
how we are supposed to manage the time to submit the application before THE first deadline?,I heard some schools gave interview in middle of JUN last year and I think we should submit the application by the first week of Jun , so how we can get all these lengthy procedures done , like official transcript, official NBDE, evaluation letters , in almost 3 weeks ? can re applicants carry over some of their previous informations to the new cycle application ?
thank you in advance
Most stuff you can get done is the first day or so. It really comes down to waiting you your transcripts and letters. I would recommend having your references get them ready ahead of time. I didn't hear of any programs interviewing in Jun, but not saying that it isn't impossible either. I would say most are mid to late July. May be earlier since its first come first serve and no program wants left overs :)

Most stuff you can get done is the first day or so. It really comes down to waiting you your transcripts and letters. I would recommend having your references get them ready ahead of time. I didn't hear of any programs interviewing in Jun, but not saying that it isn't impossible either. I would say most are mid to late July. May be earlier since its first come first serve and no program wants left overs :)
thanks for your reply
how should I get my references ready ahead of time ? should not we wait till application cycle be open ? I heard Saint Louis is one of them that had given interview in Jun

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply
how should I get my references ready ahead of time ? should not we wait till application cycle be open ? I heard Saint Louis is one of them that had given interview in Jun
Just let the people who are writing your letters get them done early. PASS will generate an email to them and they can reply ASAP. SLU interviewed Jul 9th last year and that was very early. The only other programs that were before that I am aware of were Indiana (Jul 8th) and North Carolina (Jul 1st).

Hi! I am a practicing general dentist that graduated in 2012. I was super excited to see the ADA list published earlier this month about all of the endo programs not requiring the ADAT. Unfortunately I just called the ADA testing department and they informed me that the list is not accurate. They told me the list was posted by accident and that some programs are still requiring the ADAT for the 2021 cycle. They told me it was my responsibility to call each program and ask.

I've attached last year's list. This may not actually be the final list, but it is the only one I could find on my computer. It looks like this list was last revised in April 2019. However, I think it got revised again when PASS opened last year and Nebraska was added to the list as a program requiring the ADAT. Never-the-less, the current 2020 list with no endo programs requiring the exam is likely erroneous.

Attachments

• ADAT_Program_List-2.pdf
    162.2 KB · Views: 371
thank you in advance

You need to ignore the deadlines. Many programs have already selected their residents before their published deadlines. It's really important to get your application in early. Before June 1 is a good idea if possible. I submitted my application on 6/8 last year and a few programs (I think two that I had applied to) had already issued interview invites. If you go back through last year's thread, you'll see some of the programs who interviewed very early.

Several schools interviewed in early July last year, so they issued interview invites in June. I don't know if anyone interviewed before July 1 though. Regardless, you need to get the application in early to be considered for programs who interview early, and most programs only have 1 or 2 interview days, so if you don't get it, you're on to the next one.

Here are last years interview dates:

endodontic-residency-interview-insights-v3[9].jpg

endodontic-residency-interview-insights-v3[10].jpg

endodontic-residency-interview-insights-v3[11].jpg

You need to ignore the deadlines. Many programs have already selected their residents before their published deadlines. It's really important to get your application in early. Before June 1 is a good idea if possible. I submitted my application on 6/8 last year and a few programs (I think two that I had applied to) had already issued interview invites. If you go back through last year's thread, you'll see some of the programs who interviewed very early.

Several schools interviewed in early July last year, so they issued interview invites in June. I don't know if anyone interviewed before July 1 though. Regardless, you need to get the application in early to be considered for programs who interview early, and most programs only have 1 or 2 interview days, so if you don't get it, you're on to the next one.

View attachment 296781
View attachment 296782
View attachment 296783

View attachment 296781
View attachment 296782
View attachment 296783
Thank you so much for your response , do I need to do anything in advance to help me submit my application by end of May ? Except PEF. Appreciate it

Hi! I am a practicing general dentist that graduated in 2012. I was super excited to see the ADA list published earlier this month about all of the endo programs not requiring the ADAT. Unfortunately I just called the ADA testing department and they informed me that the list is not accurate. They told me the list was posted by accident and that some programs are still requiring the ADAT for the 2021 cycle. They told me it was my responsibility to call each program and ask.
Hi , we are kind of same , practicing since 2015 , since you have 8 years of experience , you are going to be a really strong applicant for most of the programs , so are you going to take ADAT ? I am not saying you can’t get a good score but What if you could not get a good one ,would not it hurt your strong application? Base on the list , most programs accepting it but not required , so what’s your thought on it, you think it is better to take it ?

First, research which programs you plan to apply to that have their own application.

Write your personal statement.

Get copy of official transcripts from undergrad.

Get a copy of official dental school transcript.

Be familiar with how to request copies of your transcripts, so you can get them submitted the day the application opens.

If you don’t know your Dentpin relocate it.

Make sure you’re letter writers are ready.

Join the AAE. Read up on the current literature, go to the AAE annual meeting if possible.

Contact current residents and arrange for a site visit (you should try and visit a few programs to get your face out there).

Take a few established CE courses if you have not already. Especially true if you live next to one.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, research which programs you plan to apply to that have their own application.

Write your personal statement.

Get copy of official transcripts from undergrad.

Get a copy of official dental school transcript.

Be familiar with how to request copies of your transcripts, so you can get them submitted the day the application opens.

If you don’t know your Dentpin relocate it.

Make sure you’re letter writers are ready.

Join the AAE. Read up on the current literature, go to the AAE annual meeting if possible.

Contact current residents and arrange for a site visit (you should try and visit a few programs to get your face out there).

Take a few established CE courses if you have not already. Especially true if you live next to one.
thanks for your response I really appreciate all your help , my last question : all three PEF should be from my faculties or anyone as dentist who knows me either endodontist or not can give it to me ? I am nor sure its true or not but I heard some programs require all three should be from faculty of school

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your response I really appreciate all your help , my last question : all three PEF should be from my faculties or anyone as dentist who knows me either endodontist or not can give it to me ? I am nor sure its true or not but I heard some programs require all three should be from faculty of school

Check the websites of the programs you are applying to for their requirements. Some programs require that 2 or 3 be from current faculty. Some programs do not have such a requirement and they can be from anyone.
You unofficially need a recommendation from an Endodontist (hopefully a board certified Endodontist with some connections ).

For those who have an idea can I get your input. My gpa is 3.812 and class rank is 14/83. Am i a competitive applicant straight out of dental school?
Maybe I am cynical, but I don’t think that alone makes you competitive. It is a great GPA and class rank and definitely won’t hurt you. My class of 3, at a cheaper state program, were all top 20% with 5+ years of experience. You’ll really need to have a good reputation and relationship with your faculty to be competitive coming out of school.

You have to be pretty “special” to get in an Endo program right away. We have a student coming into our program right out of school next year and he is top of the class, very skilled for a DS, and really well liked by faculty.

Endo is a steep learning curve. I mean, there are plenty of experienced GP’s who shy away from it because it can be a complete b*tch. So for a dental student to jump into a residency that starts a month after they graduate, they better be more than a good GPA/ class rank. You may be though....

Hi all! Has anyone gotten any insight as to what is a competitive ADAT score/percentage?
In other words, what's the lowest percentile that will likely benefit an application?

Hi all! Has anyone gotten any insight as to what is a competitive ADAT score/percentage?
In other words, what's the lowest percentile that will likely benefit an application?
Have you taken the ADAT yet? I reached out to a couple programs that require it and they said that if the testing centers do not open up by summer they might waive the requirement this year

Have you taken the ADAT yet? I reached out to a couple programs that require it and they said that if the testing centers do not open up by summer they might waive the requirement this year
I took it on March 6th (5 days after the cycle opened I believe), so I kind of snuck in right on time. With that being said, the scale might've been a bit wonky due to a smaller sample size HAHA but I have heard that many programs are waiving the requirement. The only program that seems very very rigid about the requirement on my list is Case Western!

I took it on March 6th (5 days after the cycle opened I believe), so I kind of snuck in right on time. With that being said, the scale might've been a bit wonky due to a smaller sample size HAHA but I have heard that many programs are waiving the requirement. The only program that seems very very rigid about the requirement on my list is Case Western!
UCLA is also not budging

Which schools have you heard are waiving the ADAT?
University of the Pacific and University of Washington waived. Penn is no longer requiring as of this year (not sure if it's related to the testing center issues or not). No word on Rutgers.

UCLA is also not budging
program directors seem to be focused on dealing with CODA regarding their current class than the incoming classes....understandable but applicants have been working too hard for how many years to let these next few months blow up hahaha

I spoke to Rutgers a few days ago and they said they weren't planning on waiving it.

do you all think there will be more or less applicants this cycle? or do you think it’ll be unaffected? It seems as though most don’t have it all together so to speak

do you all think there will be more or less applicants this cycle? or do you think it’ll be unaffected? It seems as though most don’t have it all together so to speak
Now that everything is shut down, i think alot more people have time to actually get their application together, possibly leading to more apps

Im in that boat. my ADAT was scheduled for april 20 but the testing centers most probably aren't gonna open before PASS cycle starts. I even asked PASS if they are exploring the idea of making the exam available remotely so we can take it from home and they said no. Its not fair to us if we are unable to take the exam and no point taking it after mid- late may IMO.

Im in that boat. my ADAT was scheduled for april 20 but the testing centers most probably aren't gonna open before PASS cycle starts. I even asked PASS if they are exploring the idea of making the exam available remotely so we can take it from home and they said no. Its not fair to us if we are unable to take the exam and no point taking it after mid- late may IMO.

I think taking ithe ADAT as late as early or even mid-June would be okay for most schools, many of which may extend their timeline this year. I took it last year in early May and it only took about 1-1.5 weeks to get the score back. I was concerned because we were told it would take weeks to get the score back and I wanted to get my app in ASAP, but by the time my letter writers got all the letters in, it was early June anyways and PASS had long since processed my ADAT scores. All the schools I applied to interviewed in August though, so if you are applying to schools that historically have very early interviews, it may be different for your situation.

I think taking ithe ADAT as late as early or even mid-June would be okay for most schools, many of which may extend their timeline this year. I took it last year in early May and it only took about 1-1.5 weeks to get the score back. I was concerned because we were told it would take weeks to get the score back and I wanted to get my app in ASAP, but by the time my letter writers got all the letters in, it was early June anyways and PASS had long since processed my ADAT scores. All the schools I applied to interviewed in August though, so if you are applying to schools that historically have very early interviews, it may be different for your situation.
Thanks for the suggestion. It would be great if I can still take it- who knows when the world will go back to normal. Do you know if schools would wait for the ADAT scores? In my opinion, if they dont like your app without the ADAT, it doesn't matter if you add it later, thats why I wanted to throw it in first day. Or do they not look at your app unless everything you said you'll submit, is there?

I feel like the programs that require it are going to have to be flexible. I mean what percentage of applicants took the exam in the 2 weeks or so before the world collapsed? Good on those that were able to sneak into that window of opportunity, because there's probably not much competition for those programs that are unwilling to budge.

On the other hand, this is probably going to make programs that don't require it even more competitive.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion. It would be great if I can still take it- who knows when the world will go back to normal. Do you know if schools would wait for the ADAT scores? In my opinion, if they dont like your app without the ADAT, it doesn't matter if you add it later, thats why I wanted to throw it in first day. Or do they not look at your app unless everything you said you'll submit, is there?

ADEA told me schools have the ability to start viewing your app as long as it's been submitted. PASS sends them an email whenever the application is updated with scores, new letters of recs, etc. I'm sure individual programs differ in whether or not they start reviewing apps if not 100% complete.

anyone only applying with NBDE 1? my school won't clear us to take NBDE 2 until D4 year, but it's a requirement for some programs. I've heard this isn't really an application requirement, just a matriculation requirement. any insight?

anyone only applying with NBDE 1? my school won't clear us to take NBDE 2 until D4 year, but it's a requirement for some programs. I've heard this isn't really an application requirement, just a matriculation requirement. any insight?

I applied/ got in last year as a D3 / incoming D4 with only my NBDE part 1 and ADAT scores included in my application. I was in a similar situation, where we were unable to take NBDE part 2 until earliest July. I had my scores by the end of July. You will be fine applying without part 2. Just update your application if/when you take it. Only came up in 1 interview and wasn't a big concern. Good luck!

I applied/ got in last year as a D3 / incoming D4 with only my NBDE part 1 and ADAT scores included in my application. I was in a similar situation, where we were unable to take NBDE part 2 until earliest July. I had my scores by the end of July. You will be fine applying without part 2. Just update your application if/when you take it. Only came up in 1 interview and wasn't a big concern. Good luck!
Congrats! you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you for your insight! Congrats! Do you mean you were offered interviews without it?

Hi everyone! For the 2 x 2 photo requirements, does it need to be a "passport style" photo or can it just be a headshot?

Cropping a professional headshot to 2x2 is fine. Just avoid glamour shots.

Shoulders up, looking straight at camera. Don’t have your hand on your chin or be canted in some way or anything else like that.

Good luck.

Shoulders up, looking straight at camera. Don’t have your hand on your chin or be canted in some way or anything else like that.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for the reply! I'm assuming a smile is okay as well?

• Haha