endodontic residency 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a GP with 6 years experience, Canadian born and trained, applying to American programs for the first time. No GPR/AEGD, no research experience, no ADAT, and a 3.2 GPA from dental school. Interview fairly well and relatively strong LORs (assuming without knowing what's actually written).

I’m planning on applying exclusively to the 16 most competitive programs: 24-27 months with low tuition/high stipends because I've heard programs like Canadian applicants with experience. Smart move or unrealistic expectations? Honest opinions welcome, don’t hold back.

what is your list of the "16 most competitive programs?" I've never heard of the Canadian connection but no ADAT hurts your interest in low tuition/stipend requirements as UCLA/Nebraska/UMKC all require it. A 3.2 GPA removes you from consideration at San Antonio and Washington from what I've heard (rumor is 3.6+ GPA or bust) and Ken Hargreaves and colleagues seem to know a thing or two about endodontics so those 2 programs are probably off your list too. I'm throwing a little shade at your "the 16 most competitive programs" statement because I found every program to be very competitive regardless of stipend or high tuition. Einstein may be considered the "most competitive" since they only take 2 people and pay a stipend but every program director is so unique it's nearly impossible to know what each one wants and its a dice roll on who will/wont give you interviews. Minnesota has a Canadian resident and they like to talk like Canadians in Minnesota so that's a place worth applying for sure!

Off my soap box: I'd recommend applying to as many programs as you can and base your decision on where to apply on one criteria: an area you could see yourself living for 2 years. Let the program directors make the decision for you and accept/reject interview invitations as they come in.

Your 6 years of experience will be viewed very favorably.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Testing centers are still closed, but I finally signed up for the ADAT yesterday. Earliest test date was for the first week of July. Is this too late?

Testing centers are still closed, but I finally signed up for the ADAT yesterday. Earliest test date was for the first week of July. Is this too late?
took me about 3 weeks to get my score, so it might be too late.... but if you prepared for it, I say go for it. plus you can always update the score for programs who interview later or you could bring it up in an interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
List of programs I'm applying to based on low length and tuition, see any issues/ other attractive programs missing from the list?
- Nova (24 months, $39K/year)
- Iowa(24 months, $32K/year)
- Louiseville (24 months, $35K/year)
- Louisiana (27 months, $20K/year)
- St Louis (24 months, $35K/year)
- NYU Langone and Lutheran (25 months, $40K/year stipend)
- Buffalo (24 months, $46K/year)
- Ohio State (27 months, $26K/year)
- Einstein (24 months, $1800 first year only?)
- Tennessee (24 months, $23K/year)
- Texas A&M Baylor (27 months, $12K/year)
- Texas at Houston (26 months, $26K/year)
- Virginia Commonwealth (24 months, $23K first year only)
- Marquette (24 months, $47K/year)
- Toronto (36 months, $30K CAD/year, mainly just to stay home)

Also, how do Americans convert % to a 4.0 GPA? In Canada we only do %'s, I've been using this online conversion calculator based on course weighting and this 4.0 scale: GPA Calculator - Good Calculators

View attachment 303897
I’d be careful with your assessment of each program’s tuition! Some programs have a respectable tuition but have double the price in fees (Nova). Some of the fees are purchasing of equipment/microscope/etc. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Some schools are now not requiring the ADAT anymore due to what's happening, so I think you should be fine. Everyone is on the exact same boat, so don't worry. I haven't scheduled mine yet lol :/

List of programs I'm applying to based on low length and tuition, see any issues/ other attractive programs missing from the list?
- Nova (24 months, $39K/year)
- Iowa(24 months, $32K/year)
- Louiseville (24 months, $35K/year)
- Louisiana (27 months, $20K/year)
- St Louis (24 months, $35K/year)
- NYU Langone and Lutheran (25 months, $40K/year stipend)
- Buffalo (24 months, $46K/year)
- Ohio State (27 months, $26K/year)
- Einstein (24 months, $1800 first year only?)
- Tennessee (24 months, $23K/year)
- Texas A&M Baylor (27 months, $12K/year)
- Texas at Houston (26 months, $26K/year)
- Virginia Commonwealth (24 months, $23K first year only)
- Marquette (24 months, $47K/year)
- Toronto (36 months, $30K CAD/year, mainly just to stay home)

Also, how do Americans convert % to a 4.0 GPA? In Canada we only do %'s, I've been using this online conversion calculator based on course weighting and this 4.0 scale: GPA Calculator - Good Calculators

View attachment 304325
Hey all, do any 2 year programs specifically prefer candidates with significant clinical experience? I see that Tennessee prefers candidates with 4+ years of experience, but haven't seen that stated on anyone else's website thus far

Hey all, do any 2 year programs specifically prefer candidates with significant clinical experience? I see that Tennessee prefers candidates with 4+ years of experience, but haven't seen that stated on anyone else's website thus far

I found this PASS search engine website very useful when applying! If you scroll about 2/3 down, under program requirements and additional comments a lot of schools will write "prefer GPR/AEGD/clinical/private practice experience" -- Oregon, Indiana, Detroit, and Alabama had comments like that (and maybe others).

Most schools prefer some clinical experience, whether that's through a GPR/AEGD or a couple of years in private practice. I believe SLU takes more fresh grads though.

I took my ADAT in April 2018 and will be reapplying this year. I see the score is good for 2 years... does that mean it expires April 2020, or will it still be good for this application cycle?

I took my ADAT in April 2018 and will be reapplying this year. I see the score is good for 2 years... does that mean it expires April 2020, or will it still be good for this application cycle?
I would think it would be good for this application cycle! You can always check by emailing ADEA, they're pretty quick about answering.

Dear all,

I am an international applicant I had the NBDE scheduled in April, but unfortunately, it was canceled... So now I am only with my ECE and TOFEL (98 overall on iBT TOFEL) no NBDE neither ADAT nor GRE.
I have 2 years experience and am working at an academic institution that will partially provide financial support
What do you think of my chances to interview invitations!

my list contains but not limited to...
University of Michigan​
Nova Southeastern University​
Texas Health Science Center SA​
University of Pennsylvania​
University at Buffalo​
UCLA​
Boston University​
Case Western Reserve University​
University of Southern California​
Tufts University​
Loma Linda University​
Feel free to share your insight regarding NBDE waving for international applicants and the suggestion of a program that I missed adding it to the list...
Thank you

I’m curious but does anyone know if interviews this cycle will be online? Especially since many dental schools are going online until mid summer or even Fall.

I’m curious but does anyone know if interviews this cycle will be online? Especially since many dental schools are going online until mid summer or even Fall.
I heard they might be in-person or virtual, we'll see I guess! I'm just appreciative PASS is opening on time LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know anything about Nova? Do they participate in PASS? Didn't see them listed and their app process seems interesting. No CV/resume???

Anyone know anything about Nova? Do they participate in PASS? Didn't see them listed and their app process seems interesting. No CV/resume???
No PASS for sure and I believe they want a mailed official copy of transcripts. The school specific app asks for a supplemental essay and further along I'm assuming a CV...secondary seems more dense than most!

I’m starting to feel anxious about this year’s application cycle! Anyone else in the same boat?

U of Minnesota officially ZOOM interviews now, a few application modifications are now on their website:

anyone know when PASS opens? i heard noon on may 14th...true or false?

No PASS for sure and I believe they want a mailed official copy of transcripts. The school specific app asks for a supplemental essay and further along I'm assuming a CV...secondary seems more dense than most!

I did not see any supplemental essays on the "college of Dental medicine application for postdoctoral students." Nor did I see a personal statement or CV requirement. Only transcripts and LORs...

I did not see any supplemental essays on the "college of Dental medicine application for postdoctoral students." Nor did I see a personal statement or CV requirement. Only transcripts and LORs...
Yes that’s all that’s listed there... I started the school specific supplemental app to see what was required and found the request for a supplemental essay/CV. Couldn’t finish it because the correct term wasn’t up yet!

If a program has a requirement for faculty letters, are faculty from an AEGD/GPR acceptable or do they need be from dental school?

If a program has a requirement for faculty letters, are faculty from an AEGD/GPR acceptable or do they need be from dental school?

If your AEGD/GPR was associate with a school you should be fine, but you may want to contact the program and request clarification. Some AEGDs/GPRs are more like clinics that academic institutions and may or may not meet a program's requirements. The safest bet would be to have letters from faculty from your dental school if the program requires faculty letters.

Hi all,

Hoping someone could help me with a question regarding PASS and PEF's. Some of the programs require three and some want four. If I put four different emails on PASS how does that work? Do the programs who only want three, get the first three to respond, or will they get all four? Obviously there are some letters that I think would hold more value (e.g. from an endodontist), so I want to make sure I do this in a way that makes sense.

Thanks!

Wait, you were able to start the PASS app already?!
Nope, not until next week. Was just wondering if someone could help explain the process of requesting/submitting PEFs.

Hi all,

Hoping someone could help me with a question regarding PASS and PEF's. Some of the programs require three and some want four. If I put four different emails on PASS how does that work? Do the programs who only want three, get the first three to respond, or will they get all four? Obviously there are some letters that I think would hold more value (e.g. from an endodontist), so I want to make sure I do this in a way that makes sense.

Thanks!

PASS allows you to select which letters you want to send to each program you apply to.

PASS allows you to select which letters you want to send to each program you apply to.

They allowed this in previous years but last year I couldn't customize letters to specific programs. I had 5 and had to submit all 5 to every program. Don't know if they changed it for this year.

They allowed this in previous years but last year I couldn't customize letters to specific programs. I had 5 and had to submit all 5 to every program. Don't know if they changed it for this year.
If that 5 including Deans letter?

So when should PASS be submitted? Like many I imagine, I have a couple people ready to submit LORs Thursday. But another and the Deans letter might take a few weeks. Can I submit prior to then? Do you need to wait for dental school transcript to be uploaded first?

If ADAT scores were sent to each school already, then do you need to have them also sent to PASS, or just self-report?

Last edited:

Actually come to think of it you're right, I applied last year as well. I think it was the Personal Statement that you could choose.

Most programs I am applying to ask for three on their website. If I submit five, will they get all five or just the first three that answer?

Has anyone changed their mind on their the ADAT, aka not taking it anymore?

Does anyone know when New York University typically offers acceptances?

Why are endo applications so scattershot? They don't do MATCH or utilize PASS?
Nope! I know, it’s incredibly annoying. Minnesota and UConn are all paper, which is also nuts. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that decisions are made so early in the summer lol

Anybody know the reasoning behind UAB's "handwritten personal statement... in your own handwriting in ink and uploaded into the ADEA PASS application."??

Anybody know the reasoning behind UAB's "handwritten personal statement... in your own handwriting in ink and uploaded into the ADEA PASS application."??
Lmaoo why??

Interested in learning the reason as well lol

pretty sure it's just to show that you want to go there bad enough to write out your personal statement by hand....

Last edited:
Can someone explain how to self-report ADAT on PASS? PASS wants five scores, but I took the ADAT this year and there is no critical thinking section or ethics section, they were combined into data/research. So it's not possible to submit those scores, but PASS won't allow N/A and you have to input a number for each section .... And I assume if you sent scores to each school then no need to send official scores to PASS, correct?

Can someone explain how to self-report ADAT on PASS? PASS wants five scores, but I took the ADAT this year and there is no critical thinking section or ethics section, they were combined into data/research. So it's not possible to submit those scores, but PASS won't allow N/A and you have to input a number for each section .... And I assume if you sent scores to each school then no need to send official scores to PASS, correct?
also wondering this, as I took it this year! I just emailed Yolanda Jones, the ADEA PASS representative. I'd assume if you sent the scores to each school, then no need to send official scores to PASS (but might be easier and worth the $45) just my take!

Last edited:
anyone know where to upload the 2 x 2 photo on the PASS app?

I’m also having trouble submitting the penn supplemental, I keep getting an error message?

Hey Guys!
Good luck with you application and interviews this go round. I noticed a cool feature you can copy your old application from last cycle! I definitely was not looking forward to typing everything again. Once it is ready you can edit your application to add anything new. I am sure you all read this but I just wanted to share! Good luck again and Blessings to everyone.