endodontic residency 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most programs will expect at least one of the letters of recommendation be from an endodontist.
If you're getting a letter from the endodontist from your dental school, I'm assuming that counts as a letter from an endodontist right? Or are they meaning an endodontist in private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're getting a letter from the endodontist from your dental school, I'm assuming that counts as a letter from an endodontist right? Or are they meaning an endodontist in private practice?

Endo faculty would actually be better in most cases, especially if the faculty member is well known.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone having issues applying to NOVA? Their website is difficult to navigate and I can't find the links required to submit supplemental documents. I've emailed for help and they just give me a separate email submit them, but I'd rather just have it all in one place so I can check on the status myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Rutgers and Stony Brook does anyone know if there's a supplemental fee?
Should we wait until all LOR come in before submitting?

does one of the letters need to be from an endodontist?
"need" -> no. I applied with 4 letters of recommendation. 2 general dentists, a pediatric dentist, and a prosthodontist. I had success getting interviews.
Most programs will expect at least one of the letters of recommendation be from an endodontist.
True and definitely advisable to have an endodontist write you a letter. some programs specifically state "one letter needs to be from an endodontist". I got at least one interview from a school with this on their website. so nothing is set in stone. however, if you can get a good letter from an endodontist you absolutely should. I knew all of my letters from an endodontist would be generic, bland, and uneventful. I went for 4 people who cared about me a lot and really wanted me to get in. worked for me.

best of luck!

For Rutgers and Stony Brook does anyone know if there's a supplemental fee?
Should we wait until all LOR come in before submitting?
Both have supplemental fee. Rutgers you can find on the search engine (it is 95 if I remember correctly). Stony brook will email you the link to make the payment when they receive your application.

All programs I applied to require 3 letters does that include the institutional letter?

Anyone have a COUPON CODE for PASS?

Money's tight for everyone right now, wouldn't hurt to save a bit

All programs I applied to require 3 letters does that include the institutional letter?

Some of them consider the institution letter as one of the 3, while others do not. Usually, they clarify on their websites or on the ADEA PASS search engine.

Anyone have a COUPON CODE for PASS?

Money's tight for everyone right now, wouldn't hurt to save a bit

I would be amazed if they really had any coupons!

What is the consensus on application timing? What is the cutoff for an early application? June 1? At what point does your chance of being invited to interview start to decline? July 1?

Does anyone know if any other programs have moved their deadlines up like Einstein?

Does anyone know if any other programs have moved their deadlines up like Einstein?
I am not aware of any other program that moved their deadline. By the way, has Einstein really moved their deadline? In PASS I see August 1st on top of the page but under the program description, it says June 1st.

hello everyone, just a quick question, one of my evaluators has not completed the profile section of himself for questions: occupation, professional title, and organization and has submitted my letter to my application, so what you guys think about it? he is my 4th evaluator and he is an endodontist and I am not sure if I submitted my application like this it would be ok for the programs? the other 3 have answered those questions. it is really difficult to get ahold of him too. thank you so much and good luck everyone

I am not aware of any other program that moved their deadline. By the way, has Einstein really moved their deadline? In PASS I see August 1st on top of the page but under the program description, it says June 1st.
I checked with the program. They have indeed moved it to june 15. its just disheartening. i've been waiting on my school for the institute eval since may 15.

• Angry
Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone, just a quick question, one of my evaluators has not completed the profile section of himself for questions: occupation, professional title, and organization and has submitted my letter to my application, so what you guys think about it? he is my 4th evaluator and he is an endodontist and I am not sure if I submitted my application like this it would be ok for the programs? the other 3 have answered those questions. it is really difficult to get ahold of him too. thank you so much and good luck everyone

It think it would only help if he fills out everything properly, but it probably wouldn’t make a huge difference since it’s the content of the evaluation that matters. One of my evaluators didn’t complete the profile portion. When I mentioned it to her, she was able to go back and fill it out.

Good luck!

I checked with the program. They have indeed moved it to june 15. its just disheartening. i've been waiting on my school for the institute eval since may 15.

I am in the same position and it is so frustrating. I have been waiting on my institute evaluation since May 14th. I checked again yesterday and I was told there are 100 people in front of me and it could take 3 more weeks.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
When do schools usually send out completion of application notifications? Or should I individually contact the programs to confirm?

I am in the same position and it is so frustrating. I have been waiting on my institute evaluation since May 14th. I checked again yesterday and I was told there are 100 people in front of me and it could take 3 more weeks.

you guys aren't alone. I am in the same boat. so frustrating...my goal was to complete PASS application by June 1st, but thanks to my dental school, it is not going to happen.

• Angry
  • Sad
you guys aren't alone. I am in the same boat. so frustrating...my goal was to complete PASS application by June 1st, but thanks to my dental school, it is not going to happen.

have you tried contacting the school? I would keep emailing them and let them know how important it is to apply early and its the only thing missing from your application

yes, I have tried multiple times... still no progress. hopefully, they get it done by next week... :(
if i complete my application by next week (6/5), would it be considered late?

no, I think you should be fine, that is still very early in June!

I was informed by a school admin today that my IEF is ready but ADEA PASS is having issues with their website. They've notified programs with early submission dates about this technical error.

But real talk people. ADEA is a racket.

Edit: Called ADEA, they confirmed they're having technical issues, and they've provided no timeframe for resolving it.

Last edited:

How are you able to check if they your evaluator completed everything on the evaluation??

How are you able to check if they your evaluator completed everything on the evaluation??

Check Your ADEA PASS Notifications and Status

Your evaluation's status may be:
Requested
This status indicates that the request was sent to the evaluator, but they have not accepted or declined it. They must accept your request before they can submit their evaluation.
Accepted
This status indicates that the evaluator accepted your request but has not yet submitted their evaluation.
Completed
This status indicates that the evaluator completed and submitted their evaluation and it was sent to your program(s).
Declined
This status indicates that the evaluator declined your evaluation request. You can click Update Evaluators to add a new evaluation request.

My dean told me on Wednesday that the letter was ready but ADEA was having problems and no IEFs can be submitted. I called ADEA Wednesday and this morning and they confirmed no schools are able to submit the IEFs and that a “support ticket has been put in” but they have no idea when it will be fixed. They said I would be notified when it’s resolved, but couldn’t tell me how I would be notified...

Maybe if everyone keeps calling and asking for an update or timeline of when it will be fixed they will actually speed up their efforts. I cannot imagine something like this is too difficult to fix.

Hi fellow applicants,

I was wandering if you guys are mailing the application to non PASS programs well before the evaluators are sending their letters or kind of timing them together. These non PASS programs are kind of hard to keep track of.

Thanks!

Click on check status and next to the schools that you submitted application you can download your application and it shows all the information about the evaluators

Hi fellow applicants,

I was wandering if you guys are mailing the application to non PASS programs well before the evaluators are sending their letters or kind of timing them together. These non PASS programs are kind of hard to keep track of.

Thanks!
Yes, they will begin compiling your file and looking it over. Don't wait for the evals. They just won't mark it "complete" until the evals arrive. If your applications checks enough boxes right off the bat, they may even go ahead and set it aside in the interview pile. But I can't confirm if you will get offered an interview without a "complete" application.

have you tried contacting the school? I would keep emailing them and let them know how important it is to apply early and its the only thing missing from your application
yep! I email them every other day and my dean even said she will upload shortly. Maybe she is running into issues with IEF that other people are talking about in this thread. But who will tell the programs that ADEA is facing these issues!! We will be the only sufferers at the end.

when you say 100 people- thats 100 people from your school requiring the dean to submit IEF's for their PASS applications? wow! Im glad my school folks aren't such high achievers ;)

But who will tell the programs that ADEA is facing these issues!! We will be the only sufferers at the end.

I imagine they will have the problem resolved early next week. If not, then I would assume programs will recognize a trend when they have a lot of applications that are only missing IEFs. But yes, unless programs hold ADEA PASS accountable and threaten to stop using their service then they have little incentive to do things like pilot testing (see ADAT screw up from early this cycle) or quickly resolve technical errors.

It was frustrating to see the message they sent my dean mentioning "deadlines aren't until August 1." ADEA just wants your money.

• Angry
I imagine they will have the problem resolved early next week. If not, then I would assume programs will recognize a trend when they have a lot of applications that are only missing IEFs. But yes, unless programs hold ADEA PASS accountable and threaten to stop using their service then they have little incentive to do things like pilot testing (see ADAT screw up from early this cycle) or quickly resolve technical errors.

It was frustrating to see the message they sent my dean mentioning "deadlines aren't until August 1." ADEA just wants your money.
I really hope they resolve it by Monday. Ofcourse, ADEA, ADA- Dentistry in general needs to be disrupted. The bureaucracy is tiring.

Yes, they will begin compiling your file and looking it over. Don't wait for the evals. They just won't mark it "complete" until the evals arrive. If your applications checks enough boxes right off the bat, they may even go ahead and set it aside in the interview pile. But I can't confirm if you will get offered an interview without a "complete" application.
Is this true of PASS programs too or only non PASS programs?

happy monday guys! anyone aware of an ETA for the fix of the IEF issue on the portal?

I got an email that my IEF was uploaded last night around 11PM. Hopefully many more to follow.

My IEF was submitted and accepted on PASS on Thursday 5/28.

I have my application pretty much all complete except for filling out the optional Covid-19 and additional information section. It might be a dumb question, but really how important are those sections? I'm starting to get application fatigue and would rather not fill those out...haha

I read in last year's thread that Tufts asked for the DAT. does anybody know if they still require it this year?

Has anyone received supplemental application from Nebraska, tufts or Boston University?

happy monday guys! anyone aware of an ETA for the fix of the IEF issue on the portal?
I spoke to a CSR at ADEA this morning and they said they are diligently working on it. Anyone got any news later in the day? I'll try calling again tomorrow morning.

Mine was posted today for dean institution letter
Thanks for responding! Do you know if your dean was facing these issues to begin with? It seems like not everyone was having these issues.

Thanks for responding! Do you know if your dean was facing these issues to begin with? It seems like not everyone was having these issues.

Mine was posted yesterday. I'd contact your school again directly to see if they're still having issues.

Has anyone had their checks deposited from Texas schools or Einstein?

Anyone having difficulties submitting electronic transcripts to PASS? I'm stuck in transcript limbo.

No paper copies whatsoever are possible from my institution (University of Washington) at the moment, and the school does not utilize Credentials Solutions, Parchment, or Student Clearinghouse for electronic transcript delivery. And the method they do have for transcript delivery does not allow me to attach the transcript tracking form or even my CAS ID.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I have been back and fourth with PASS for several days on how to get them the transcripts, but all the customer service reps do is copy and paste the information on their Help thread, which I've already read.

Has anyone had their checks deposited from Texas schools or Einstein?

My check for Houston and Ohio State were deposited. I would be curious to hear about other deposited checks as there is a theory that deposited checks MAY indicate interest. Anyone else have deposited checks anywhere?

I have read this theory a few times in all of the past endo application threads. It is purely anecdotal but it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

Last edited:
You guys got your deans letter fast!

My check for Houston and Ohio State were deposited. I would be curious to hear about other deposited checks as there is a theory that deposited checks MAY indicate interest. Anyone else have deposited checks anywhere?

I have read this theory a few times in all of the past endo application threads. It is purely anecdotal but it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation.
No, not at all. Just indicates they have received and processed your app.

You are most likely correct and as I stated it is purely anecdotal from previous years. We have to have some sort of hope while we wait in complete anxiety riddled silence. I do know for a fact that all 15 programs have received my completed application and my checks (sent on the 14th) but only two have deposited it. Just a theory but I am interested to see what happens.

Question. For Tufts I’m a little confused. I sent my official DAT scores, however I’m unsure if we have to also send the official NBDE scores directly to them as well. Cause in one part it says it’s accepted if it’s on the PASS Institution Evaluation but under Endodontics specific applicants, it says it needs to be sent to them lol so I’m confused

You are most likely correct

No, he is correct. 100% of programs who receive a complete application will process your checks. In fact, I bet if you give them the most incomplete application they have ever seen, but still send a supplemental fee check, they'll probably still cash it. check cashed has, in my opinion, no correlation to "interest"

I postulated that for me there seemed to be a weak correlation with "check cashed" and "interview invite email, phone call invite" within 5-7 business days of a cashed check if they had interest. when I heard nothing, I assumed it was a rejection after about a week. I'd give both of those programs the weekend before you read into anything. Also, this early in the game they are almost certainly waiting on more applications to come in before they start offering any interviews so these "early checks cashed" may not be represented of my theory. I think having a check cashed in mid june or later applies better to my 5-7 business day theory. its still very early. half of the applicants don't even have a complete application yet. try to stay patient.

" We have to have some sort of hope while we wait in complete anxiety riddled silence."
I understand. I played the same mind games with myself last year. hence my "theory". our mind likes to make sense of a correlation= causation even if it has no statistical evidence of being true. you've worked really hard and want some instant feedback. I get it. stay patient. I didn't hear anything until june 13th last year.

this year is so unknown. you may have to throw out everything we once knew with endo interviews. wish you all the best

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Question. For Tufts I’m a little confused. I sent my official DAT scores, however I’m unsure if we have to also send the official NBDE scores directly to them as well. Cause in one part it says it’s accepted if it’s on the PASS Institution Evaluation but under Endodontics specific applicants, it says it needs to be sent to them lol so I’m confused
You can send unofficial DAT scores. I don't think you have to send official scores for NBDE. Its on PASS Application