endodontic residency 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question. For Tufts I’m a little confused. I sent my official DAT scores, however I’m unsure if we have to also send the official NBDE scores directly to them as well. Cause in one part it says it’s accepted if it’s on the PASS Institution Evaluation but under Endodontics specific applicants, it says it needs to be sent to them lol so I’m confused
You can send unofficial DAT scores. I don't think you have to send official scores for NBDE. Its on PASS Application

I am confused!! where does it say that we have to send our DAT scores? it was not mentioned in the email they sent. They only mentioned 2*2 pic, NBDE, and official transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, quick question, should we get any emails from the programs that we have submitted our applications through ADEA PASS regarding it is completed or they have received it?
Thank you and Good luck, everyone!

hi, quick question, should we get any emails from the programs that we have submitted our applications through ADEA PASS regarding it is completed or they have received it?
Thank you and Good luck, everyone!

some programs send emails when the app is complete, some don’t. You can email them to confirm your app is complete if you’d like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just waiting for my institution letter which is coming in July, should I still go ahead and submit my app?

I'm just waiting for my institution letter which is coming in July, should I still go ahead and submit my app?

July is too late for endo. You need to contact your program and request that the IE be expedited as endo does not participate in Match and programs will be interviewing in July (maybe that will be different this year due to COVID, but programs seem to be interviewing a little earlier each year). Many programs will issue interview invites at the end of June and early July, if you don’t submit a completed app until July, you may have already missed out on the interview date depending on which programs you are applying to. Endo interviews happen very quickly, and students are usually offered a position the evening of the interview (for most programs). Your school should know this and prioritize IE for endo applicants. My school (Maryland) turned an IE around for me in 1 week and I graduated 5 years ago and did not have to make a special request - they just know that endo is not the same as the other specialties when it comes to the interview process and lack of participation in match.

Does anyone know if you can get into an endo residency without doing research in dental school?

1. To upload CV, is everyone attaching it at the end of their personal statement when submitting to each program? (nvm)

2. Some programs require a photocopy of our diploma... how's that getting sent to them?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can get into an endo residency without doing research in dental school?
Yes, absolutely. While research is very important in the field plenty of programs aren’t concerned with it.
Source: Me- 9 interview offers and 0 research experience

2. Some programs require a photocopy of our diploma... how's that getting sent to them?
Either take a photo and email it to an email address provided by the school. If no email address then you have to print it out and mail it in with other supplementals the address provided on the website.

Hi guys! Do y'all think the timeline for interviews will be delayed due to COVID-19 or not so much?

Hi guys! Do y'all think the timeline for interviews will be delayed due to COVID-19 or not so much?

I hope not. I want it to be over sooner than later so I can look into moonlighting gigs lol

Members don't see this ad :)
No I think the timeline is still the same for most schools, from what I’ve heard many programs are switching to a virtual interview instead. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

I am confused!! where does it say that we have to send our DAT scores? it was not mentioned in the email they sent. They only mentioned 2*2 pic, NBDE, and official transcripts.
On the email and the website under Endo specific applicants.

• Applicants to the Endodontic Program:

Has anyone heard back from Boston yet regarding submitting app fee and supplemental?

anyone having difficulty getting email responses from temple? sent 2 x 2 photo, no response and emailed regarding application completion with no response either!

Does anyone know if there are any current unfilled residency programs for 2020 post match?

I submitted my application with PASS last week, but didn't have the IEF submitted yet. My school just uploaded it to PASS today. Does PASS automatically send that out to all the schools now, or is there something on my end for that?

Will programs contact you if you submitted a completed application, but have not received the supplemental fee(check by snail mail) ?

Does anyone know if there are any current unfilled residency programs for 2020 post match?
Endo doesn’t participate in Match. It is doubtful that there are any open positions

I submitted my application with PASS last week, but didn't have the IEF submitted yet. My school just uploaded it to PASS today. Does PASS automatically send that out to all the schools now, or is there something on my end for that?

Last year, when ADEA PASS was yanking my chain over posting my NBDE scores, I was advised by an ADEA PASS representative to go ahead and submit my application and once the NBDE scores posted the schools would automatically be able to see them and my application would switch from "incomplete" to "complete". That is exactly how it transpired. So, I think it would be safe to assume that you are good to go. As always, pick up the phone and call. I'd recommend calling two times to confirm with two different people. No one cares about your application more than you. make sure it's done right.

When you see a sample of whats sent out to programs, is it normal for your official transcript not to show?

Well got my institution evaluation uploaded today thankfully and now my application is complete and has been submitted to all my schools. Will keep everyone updated on any interview dates, etc. Good luck!

is there a supplemental fee for Puerto Rico?

Do they let you know if your application is complete or not?
When I applied they let me know that my app was received, but they had not received a couple supplemental items yet. Once they got those, I didn’t hear anything until an interview via email.

Reactions: 1 users
When you see a sample of whats sent out to programs, is it normal for your official transcript not to show?
It is normal. You won't see the contents of your dental school official transcript in the downloaded application of the individual program

Shoot, I was hoping to hear from Indiana. 1 down, 14 to go!

Thats not Puerto Rico, thats lutheran in BK
The Puerto Rico program is based out Brooklyn. From their website:
Application fee of $50 sent directly to the address below and made payable to: NYU Langone Hospitals Continuing Education
NYU Langone Dental Medicine
Attention: Dr. Robert Goldberger
Station 21
150 55th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Hypothetical situation here. Anyone (FutureDent020 perhaps?) know the usual etiquette involving multiple interviews (if one is fortunate enough to get them), and multiple offers (if one is even more fortunate to get them)?

For example, school X interviews you, decides they want you in their program, and gives you an offer. However, you have a second interview at school Y one week later. Is it considered reasonable to bargain with school X and ask to defer your decision until you've visited with school Y? Or will school X give you an ultimatum ("you have 72 hours to let us know otherwise we're moving on to the next candidate") type of thing. Essentially I'm wondering just how much, if any, negotiating power we have, since Endo does not participate in Match.

I understand its a highly competitive process, and a candidate should be elated with even a single offer, but someone may have very good reasons for wanting to speak with two different programs before making a decision.

Also, I've heard varyings stories about how soon after an interview programs will inform you of a decision, from basically instantly to a few days to a week. Any info on that?

Thanks everyone, best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Hypothetical situation here. Anyone (FutureDent020 perhaps?) know the usual etiquette involving multiple interviews (if one is fortunate enough to get them), and multiple offers (if one is even more fortunate to get them)?

For example, school X interviews you, decides they want you in their program, and gives you an offer. However, you have a second interview at school Y one week later. Is it considered reasonable to bargain with school X and ask to defer your decision until you've visited with school Y? Or will school X give you an ultimatum ("you have 72 hours to let us know otherwise we're moving on to the next candidate") type of thing. Essentially I'm wondering just how much, if any, negotiating power we have, since Endo does not participate in Match.

I understand its a highly competitive process, and a candidate should be elated with even a single offer, but someone may have very good reasons for wanting to speak with two different programs before making a decision.

Also, I've heard varyings stories about how soon after an interview programs will inform you of a decision, from basically instantly to a few days to a week. Any info on that?

Thanks everyone, best of luck.
Take what you can get. Not worth losing a spot in one program for the chance at another. Most programs will give you 24-48hrs (or a weekend) to decide. Not enough time to see another program. Also, don't accept and then go to another program. Directors talk and could make for a very awkward interview and losing of acceptance to former program. Reason is each program wants to fill their spots and be done. If you accept and go to another school, that first one is left with an open spot and then scrambling to fill it. Similarly, saying that you want to check another program or wait a week doesn't really help you when you probably told them that this was your top pick etc. They want to see that you WANT to be there. That is the crappy part of PASS compared to MATCH. Only thing I can think of this time that could change that is the potential for video interviews. You may swing multiple interviews on same day, which you would normally not be able to do because of travel. Most programs will tell you later that day or the next day. Only exception would be a program that has multiple interview dates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The Puerto Rico program is based out Brooklyn. From their website:
Application fee of $50 sent directly to the address below and made payable to: NYU Langone Hospitals Continuing Education
NYU Langone Dental Medicine
Attention: Dr. Robert Goldberger
Station 21
150 55th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220
So if I'm applying to BK and Puerto Rico, I'm sending 2 checks to same address?

So I’ve answered a lot of PM’s regarding this question over the last year. Endo PASS is a crappy process and more advantageous for the program than the applicant. Basically the short answer is you need to be ready to have an answer 24-72 hours after the interview. You can ask to attend another interview but they have the right to say they are going to move on to another applicant. They may let you attend another interview, but it’s all risk and 0 benefit for them if they do. They have nothing to gain by letting you do that. If the interviews are super close together, like a Friday and Monday, they’ll be ok with that. But if you get in July 17th and want to wait until end of July for that Georgia interview, that’s probably not going to happen. My buddy was coming to my program to interview last year. Was literally driving into town when he got another interview offer for about a week later. But the program was about an hour away from where he was at. They literally agreed to come meet him for an out of office interview that same day, offered him a spot, and he cancelled the interview at my program. I was asked to come interview at any date I wanted by my current program. Chair called me to offer me an interview and said he wanted me to see the program before others. So it was just me at my interview and he offered me a position the next morning. It’s a wild competitive process. So don’t expect much grace.

And also, I’ve always told people to only to places you can see yourself attending. Because if you go to that first interview and get accepted, it’s going to be hard to turn it down. You have no guarantee of getting in anywhere else and plus you could save a lot of money and time by cancelling other interviews.

You absolutely cannot accept a position and attend other interviews. They all talk and know each other. Especially regional schools. Northeast talk to northeast, southeast to southeast, Midwest to Midwest. You’re taking a huge risk there. Remember, program chairs and directors sit on the board, you don’t want to do anything unprofessional or piss them off. I remember one director called me and knew that a couple other programs had already offered me interviews. So they talk.

Reactions: 3 users
Take what you can get. Not worth losing a spot in one program for the chance at another. Most programs will give you 24-48hrs (or a weekend) to decide. Not enough time to see another program. Also, don't accept and then go to another program. Directors talk and could make for a very awkward interview and losing of acceptance to former program. Reason is each program wants to fill their spots and be done. If you accept and go to another school, that first one is left with an open spot and then scrambling to fill it. Similarly, saying that you want to check another program or wait a week doesn't really help you when you probably told them that this was your top pick etc. They wan't to see that you WANT to be there. That is the crappy part of PASS compared to MATCH. Only thing I can think of this time that could change that is the potential for video interviews. You may swing multiple interviews on same day, which you would normally not be able to do because of travel. Most programs will tell you later that day or the next day. Only exception would be a program that has multiple interview dates.

Interesting thought concerning the digital interviews this year. Hopefully that helps to cluster the interviews more.

So I’ve answered a lot of PM’s regarding this question over the last year. Endo PASS is a crappy process and more advantageous for the program than the applicant. Basically the short answer is you need to be ready to have an answer 24-72 hours after the interview. You can ask to attend another interview but they have the right to say they are going to move on to another applicant. They may let you attend another interview, but it’s all risk and 0 benefit for them if they do. They have nothing to gain by letting you do that. If the interviews are super close together, like a Friday and Monday, they’ll be ok with that. But if you get in July 17th and want to wait until end of July for that Georgia interview, that’s probably not going to happen. My buddy was coming to my program to interview last year. Was literally driving into town when he got another interview offer for about a week later. But the program was about an hour away from where he was at. They literally agreed to come meet him for an out of office interview that same day, offered him a spot, and he cancelled the interview at my program. I was asked to come interview at any date I wanted by my current program. Chair called me to offer me an interview and said he wanted me to see the program before others. So it was just me at my interview and he offered me a position the next morning. It’s a wild competitive process. So don’t expect much grace.

And also, I’ve always told people to only to places you can see yourself attending. Because if you go to that first interview and get accepted, it’s going to be hard to turn it down. You have no guarantee of getting in anywhere else and plus you could save a lot of money and time by cancelling other interviews.

You absolutely cannot accept a position and attend other interviews. They all talk and know each other. Especially regional schools. Northeast talk to northeast, southeast to southeast, Midwest to Midwest. You’re taking a huge risk there. Remember, program chairs and directors sit on the board, you don’t want to do anything unprofessional or piss them off. I remember one director called me and knew that a couple other programs had already offered me interviews. So they talk.

Thanks to both of you for outlining that, that helps clarify things a good deal. I understand that its strategic from the programs' points of view, even if it jerks the candidates around. Can't do anything about it though, so it sounds like we just have to play within their rules.

Thanks again.

In my experience- last year- a few programs were understanding and allowed students some time ( a week) if they had another interview lined up. Ultimately, these directors asked for open communication and wanted residents to end up where they belonged.

In my experience- last year- a few programs were understanding and allowed students some time ( a week) if they had another interview lined up. Ultimately, these directors asked for open communication and wanted residents to end up where they belonged.

Thats good to know! I wouldn't expect a program to hold a spot open for a candidate for weeks on end, I was just hoping that directors would be reasonable as long as the request wasn't outrageous, and it sounds like in your case they were.

Thats good to know! I wouldn't expect a program to hold a spot open for a candidate for weeks on end, I was just hoping that directors would be reasonable as long as the request wasn't outrageous, and it sounds like in your case they were.

I talked about this with my wife and we pretty much agreed. First one to offer at all I'm taking and that is that.

If/ when the time comes, it won't hurt to ask.
I talked about this with my wife and we pretty much agreed. First one to offer at all I'm taking and that is that.
Once that offer comes, it's hard not to think that way. A bird in the hand or something like that.

Reactions: 1 users