endodontic residency 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any more interviews? Anyone receive interview from any of the Texas schools (since they’re usually early)?

Members don't see this ad.

So if invitations for interviews are being sent from a specific program and you don't hear from them within a few days, you can just assume that they won’t interview you?

So if invitations for interviews are being sent from a specific program and you don't hear from them within a few days, you can just assume that they won’t interview you?
Not necessarily. Last year someone posted a date for Louisville and I received a call a week later. It is first come first serve so get things in well before. I don't even know why they post app deadlines. Most programs have interviewed and selected before that date. Don't give up hope :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even know why they post app deadlines. Most programs have interviewed and selected before that date.

From one of the program pages: "This website doesn't allow changes from their default application deadline dates, so 1 Aug 2020 is listed. Most programs, including ours, will interview prior to that date." This is why the programs write their application deadlines in the description section.

Just another one of the many oversights of ADEA PASS.

Reactions: 1 user
some yes and some no. Sometimes there are waves separated by weeks- like NYU.

Anyone receive word from San Antonio regarding whether their check has been received and their app is complete?

Hypothetical situation here. Anyone (FutureDent020 perhaps?) know the usual etiquette involving multiple interviews (if one is fortunate enough to get them), and multiple offers (if one is even more fortunate to get them)?

For example, school X interviews you, decides they want you in their program, and gives you an offer. However, you have a second interview at school Y one week later. Is it considered reasonable to bargain with school X and ask to defer your decision until you've visited with school Y? Or will school X give you an ultimatum ("you have 72 hours to let us know otherwise we're moving on to the next candidate") type of thing. Essentially I'm wondering just how much, if any, negotiating power we have, since Endo does not participate in Match.

I understand its a highly competitive process, and a candidate should be elated with even a single offer, but someone may have very good reasons for wanting to speak with two different programs before making a decision.

Also, I've heard varyings stories about how soon after an interview programs will inform you of a decision, from basically instantly to a few days to a week. Any info on that?

Thanks everyone, best of luck.

It is inconsiderate and not looked upon favorably to delay your acceptance to a program. You may be able to buy 24 hours if you have an interview the next day, but stalling longer than that would not be advisable. Once you accept a position, withdraw your application from the pool and do not attend additional interviews (this opens up an interview slot for another applicant which is good karma as well). Accepting a position and attending another interview...maybe do that at your own risk. Both programs will likely know what you’re up to and you may find yourself in a difficult position. Technically, the program that initially offered you a seat could rescind their offer if they take offense to you exploring other options.

Programs that have 1 interview date often extend invitations that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went back through the posts, looks like the only confirmed interview invites thus far are Indiana, Georgia and OHSU.

Yeah, its amazing how few emails I get when I'm really hoping for one :lol:

Does anyone know if Case Western still require the ADAT score for this cycle?

Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but has anyone else noticed how the admissions requirements found on the CASSchoolPages webpage are a bit different than what each school has listed on their website? For example Stony Brook mentions nothing about an application fee, but then on the programs page it says there's one and gives a link to pay for it.

Does anyone know if Case Western still require the ADAT score for this cycle?
The ADAT will still be required for admission. Please do register and take it as soon as possible, your application will still be reviewed without as there may be ADAT testing timing issues.

On 05/26/2020

Does Indiana send one round for interview or more?

gosh this waiting is BRUTAL! I expected a bunch of interviews to be offered already! is this possibly COVID related?

gosh this waiting is BRUTAL! I expected a bunch of interviews to be offered already! is this possibly COVID related?
Yeah I’m assuming many schools have not reopened and are still figuring out logistics of the interview dates.

Looking at the posts from last year, most programs didn’t send out interview invitations until late June. I’m hoping we should start hearing back from some programs next week.

Last edited:
Seriously! It's been killing me! I'm not a very patient person though. And I noticed the same thing that in years before it seemed to be the last week of June and first week or so of July that a majority of the interviews were sent out. We still have some time.

Hey all! I know this is a stressful time with waiting, COVID, and everything else, but I thought I would share some insight from my experience with you all to hopefully grasp what to expect with some of the programs that I applied to last year.

Indiana: 1 day interview of about 15 candidates. 3 sets of interviews with 2 faculty ~15min apiece. As I mentioned earlier, director calls and tells you you got in or "that you were #2 on the waitlist" (guessing he told everyone that didn't get in that) a few hours after the day is over.

SLU: 1 day interview of around 12 or so candidates. 3 sets of interviews with 1 faculty ~20-30 mins apiece. Something interesting that they did was during the downtime, we were divided into groups. One group would go to hang with residents and the other had to write a written abstract over some JOE article (level of evidence, type of study, etc.). Call came in a day or so to those that got in.

Louisville: 2 days of interviews (1 week apart, and both were on Fridays) of ~8 candidates apiece. 2 interviews with 1 faculty ~20-30 mins. Rest of day was spent with residents, tour etc. Email was sent weekend after the last date.

UMKC: 1 day interview with 9 candidates (one dropped out, would have been ten). 1 interview with 3 faculty ~30 mins. Like to point out that of all the interviews, this program was the least personal (for me) and they just read questions from a page, so to give all the same questions and not show favoritism (my alma mater btw). Rest of day was with residents. Call came that night around 5pm for those accepted.

Nebraska: Received invite late July. 2 days of interviews (Thur/Fri) of about 7 if I remember correctly. 1 interview with 5 faculty (Pathologist was included and was pimping us) ~45mins. First half was question/answer and second half was ppt with questions like what is this? How would you treat this? give me 3 differential dx... etc? Some dumb questions too like rice or noodles. Hung with residents and also had to obturate (cold lateral) a #9 with no rotary. Know that crown down and serial step-back. Email came later that day.

Obviously I struct out last year with better hopes this year and I really wish the best for you all. Be confident, but not arrogant and have some questions ready to ask. Most interviews are pretty laid back. All of this might be moot if you have tele com interview, but if not expect some things like above. Overall was pretty fun (aside from not getting in) being "wined and dined" and don't get discouraged if you don't get in this year. Good things come to those that wait :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Hey all! I know this is a stressful time with waiting, COVID, and everything else, but I thought I would share some insight from my experience with you all to hopefully grasp what to expect with some of the programs that I applied to last year.

Indiana: 1 day interview of about 15 candidates. 3 sets of interviews with 2 faculty ~15min apiece. As I mentioned earlier, director calls and tells you you got in or "that you were #2 on the waitlist" (guessing he told everyone that didn't get in that) a few hours after the day is over.

SLU: 1 day interview of around 12 or so candidates. 3 sets of interviews with 1 faculty ~20-30 mins apiece. Something interesting that they did was during the downtime, we were divided into groups. One group would go to hang with residents and the other had to write a written abstract over some JOE article (level of evidence, type of study, etc.). Call came in a day or so to those that got in.

Louisville: 2 days of interviews (1 week apart, and both were on Fridays) of ~8 candidates apiece. 2 interviews with 1 faculty ~20-30 mins. Rest of day was spent with residents, tour etc. Email was sent weekend after the last date.

UMKC: 1 day interview with 9 candidates (one dropped out, would have been ten). 1 interview with 3 faculty ~30 mins. Like to point out that of all the interviews, this program was the least personal (for me) and they just read questions from a page, so to give all the same questions and not show favoritism (my alma mater btw). Rest of day was with residents. Call came that night around 5pm for those accepted.

Nebraska: Received invite late July. 2 days of interviews (Thur/Fri) of about 7 if I remember correctly. 1 interview with 5 faculty (Pathologist was included and was pimping us) ~45mins. First half was question/answer and second half was ppt with questions like what is this? How would you treat this? give me 3 differential dx... etc? Some dumb questions too like rice or noodles. Hung with residents and also had to obturate (cold lateral) a #9 with no rotary. Know that crown down and serial step-back. Email came later that day.

Obviously I struct out last year with better hopes this year and I really wish the best for you all. Be confident, but not arrogant and have some questions ready to ask. Most interviews are pretty laid back. All of this might be moot if you have tele com interview, but if not expect some things like above. Overall was pretty fun (aside from not getting in) being "wined and dined" and don't get discouraged if you don't get in this year. Good things come to those that wait :)
Well I guess I can throw out some other stuff such as the questions that I was asked so that you all might prepare a bit better.
Tell me a little about yourself?
Why did you want to be a dentist?
Why do you want to be an endodontist?
What differentiates you from other candidates? Why should we select you over the others? Becareful not to throw others under the bus since you really don't know them well enough to make that assessment.
3 strengths
3 weakness
Give me an example of teamwork?
How will you contribute to our program? What can you bring to the table?
Do you handle criticism well?
Are you a member of the AAE?
What is your greatest success? Failure?
What is your least/favorite aspect of treatment?
What makes you think you will succeed in residency?
How is your time management?
What kind of endo will you like (NSRCT, SRCT, retreat)?
Are you involved in a study club?
Any last minute comments?

This would probably cover most questions asked (at least for me). Sorry I can't remember more.

The only other thing I would say are this. Having a portfolio with abstracts/cases can be useful but don't shove it in their face. The other being if you don't get in, simply spend some time and visit each program and get to know their director. I am amazed at how different I feel this time around then last year because of it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if decisions are made (at some, defiantly not all) before PASS even starts. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Simply spend some time and visit each program and get to know their director. I am amazed at how different I feel this time around then last year because of it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if decisions are made (at some, defiantly not all) before PASS even starts. Cheers!

How did you feel about the individual programs? did you change who you applied to based on past experience or apply to more schools? less?

How did you feel about the individual programs? did you change who you applied to based on past experience or apply to more schools? less?
First, I am not top ten in my class (upper half), didn't crush the ADAT(550), and my gpa(3.6) is good but nothing that will turn heads. Well I have the benefit of seeing those programs last year and I visited some other programs this year. Oddly enough, I'm not applying to any of the ones I saw last year as I didn't get the vibe that I added much to sway any of them. I was planning on going to the AAE conference, paid and flight booked, but alas COVID happened. My point was that really comes down showing the initiative to some folks and them just getting one on one vs you competing with everyone else on interview day. I was going to apply to many more but I got a very good vibe and applied to less ;)

Make connections!

Reactions: 1 users
First, I am not top ten in my class (upper half), didn't crush the ADAT(550), and my gpa(3.6) is good but nothing that will turn heads. Well I have the benefit of seeing those programs last year and I visited some other programs this year. Oddly enough, I'm not applying to any of the ones I saw last year as I didn't get the vibe that I added much to sway any of them. I was planning on going to the AAE conference, paid and flight booked, but alas COVID happened. My point was that really comes down showing the initiative to some folks and them just getting one on one vs you competing with everyone else on interview day. I was going to apply to many more but I got a very good vibe and applied to less ;)

Make connections!

what is a good score for the ADAT then? I would think 550 is good or do you think 600 or above is good?

what is a good score for the ADAT then? I would think 550 is good or do you think 600 or above is good?
3CEDE5E6-1F97-481A-A94F-FDE78D0ED735.jpeg
924B55D1-1B26-4418-A075-9FEC6FC027C8.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
does everyone think that the next two weeks will finally be the weeks where a majority of invites are sent?!

anybody have any insight on the BU endo program?
I observed that program for a day....10 residents in each class felt like a bit too much. The operatories were extremely small and outdated, while the hallway in which they were attached to almost made me feel claustrophobic. I could get past all of that, but the director didn't even introduce himself to me after I flew up from Florida. I felt that for the price of tuition, it really should've blown me away! It didn't, plus I'm not a huge fan of the city and living in it. With that being said, it seems like the residents graduate well prepared though and an acceptance is an acceptance HAHA

Did anyone get an application complete Email from tufts yet?
Not yet. I think it said in the email as well not to contact them for application status, which is a little annoying.

Did anyone get an application complete Email from tufts yet?

Yes,

I made the payment on 06/02 (the only thing was missing is the processing fees on this date) and received the Application complete on 06/09.

Hopefully we hear back from some programs this week

Reactions: 1 users
Got email invite from Tufts. Virtual interviews being held July 27-30

Reactions: 9 users
Nova interview for June 30th via zoom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk