Help... Ohio State Univ vs. Tufts vs Univ of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeachableMoment

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help choosing between the three. Any pros and cons of the programs?

Members don't see this ad.

All three schools are pretty solid (with about equal reputation)- the edge goes to Tufts as it is slightly looked upon more favorably, but that doesn't matter.

Ohio State
PRO- reputation is solid, can establish state residency after one year, which is the cheapest option of the three schools you listed. I have heard good things about it.
CON- It's in Ohio....

Tufts -
PRO- reputation is also solid, great curriculum, very integrated, only 1.75 years. It's in BOSTON!!!!! Awesome city. Professors were great during my interview and everyone just seemed really happy.

CON- The COST :(

Iowa- don't know much about.....

I would go to whichever is your state school (Iowa or Ohio State). If you are OOS for both, I believe you can get establish Ohio residency in one year and pay instate tuition. Thus making Ohio State the cheapest choice. I would go for that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts has the highest COA of any school in the country. :scared:

I would do OSU because it has a good combination of things that most people are looking for in a school and you can get IS tuition after a year. If prestige if your thing, OSU will probably be shooting up the rankings in the next few years - it's a program on the rise.

If you are in state for either Ohio or Iowa, I would go there. Iowa will be significantly cheaper than Ohio if you are a resident, because although you can get Ohio residency, your 3rd year tuition will still be ~40k and you'll still end up paying OOS fees your first year. If you're OOS for both, I'd go to Ohio.

Ohio State
PRO- reputation is solid, can establish state residency after one year, which is the cheapest option of the three schools you listed. I have heard good things about it.
CON- It's in Ohio....

Columbus is a great city. It's big but has a college-town feel.

yo,

i can't believe this is even a decision for you!! OSU ALL THE WAY BABY!!

1. Extremely well recognized school. Countless research opportunities. HUUGEE AWEESOME campus with lots of different programs... NOT just a med school or undergrads.. People doing all sorts of things.
2. Columbus is badass. Night life is amazing. and yes students at OSU have a life. The city is very young and bbooooming
3. Independent curricula... means if you sign up for that program you can take your tests whenever you want.
4. Hospitals are amazing. Did you check out the RPAC gym??? It's bigger than my school's library.
5. It really it THE medical center for hundreds of miles. My brother's a third year and he has seen some ridiculous things that many doctors never see in a lifetime! This is very much bc columbus is the "sample population"city of the country: most representative of all different types of groups living in the US. In addition lots of immigrants bring interesting things to see and learn from as well.
6. Great local music. If you ever actually live in Ohio you'll love it.
7. The Buckeyes.--> So much fun to be in that kind of environment.

Ohio State is amazing!

Hope to see you there in the FALL!

OP, are you in at Ohio State or deferred?

Ohio State's a hot ticket right now and I don't see too many people giving up their spots. Of the other two, I would choose Tufts in spite of the added cost. The location, the prestige, the match list. Without taking cost into account, Tufts wins in a landslide.

OP, are you in at Ohio State or deferred?

Ohio State's a hot ticket right now and I don't see too many people giving up their spots. Of the other two, I would choose Tufts in spite of the added cost. The location, the prestige, the match list. Without taking cost into account, Tufts wins in a landslide.

Really? I don't see Tufts as more "prestigious" than either OSU or Iowa. It's certainly ranked a lot lower by US News.

Really? I don't see Tufts as more "prestigious" than either OSU or Iowa. It's certainly ranked a lot lower by US News.

I'm not certain the OP has an acceptance at Ohio State, so I made that statement in reference to Tufts versus Iowa (I agree with the above poster that Ohio State is the best option of the three). The US News Rankings for research and primary care are useful tools and are often used to distinguish between tiers of medical schools. Still, I believe Tufts has greater name recognition and perhaps the name (along with everything that comes with it) would hold greater weight with residency directors. In addition, in terms of competitiveness, Tufts is more difficult to gain acceptance into than Iowa. Competitiveness correlates with prestige, for the most part.

If it's Tufts vs Iowa, I would probably choose Tufts, it's in Boston. If OSU is in the mix, then OSU hands down.

It's ranked lower than the two, but prestige and ranking don't always correlate. Tufts as an overall school is looked upon much more favorably (in terms of academics) than Ohio State (known more for sports) and Iowa (most people don't even know its high ranked). But this shouldn't matter.

I would go with this order Ohio State>>>>>>>Iowa (if Instate)>>>>Tufts

If you are OOS for both Iowa and Tufts, then go with Tufts. Who the hell wants to be in Iowa for 4 years

I shadowed Tufts---it's amazing there. I love their non-competitive atmosphere. But, cost is a concern.

I would go with Ohio St. You will get the same education as Tufts and get and OSU will be pretty cheap once you get instate tuition.

I don't care about prestige myself. Whatever it is, I'd rather go to Tufts than OSU. I interviewed at both, and my experience at Tufts was way more positive and warm.

It's a very friendly school, that's why I want to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.