2021-2022 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if anyone else gets any acceptance calls this week will you please post about them so i can neurotically analyze them, thanks kings!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone else gets any acceptance calls this week will you please post about them so i can neurotically analyze them, thanks kings!!
everytime i get a call i look and my dreams are crushed because it isnt a no caller id from oSU hahahahha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If it helps, there’s been a decent amount of turnover on the accepted student GroupMe. About 13 people have left and 7 have joined as of right now since Sunday.

Reactions: 2 users
We honestly need to create a waitlist support group y’all 😅😂 I’m literally preparing to reapply and retake the MCAT as we speak lmao

If it helps, there’s been a decent amount of turnover on the accepted student GroupMe. About 13 people have left and 7 have joined as of right now since Sunday.
How do we know the ppl who joined are all accepted students? 😂

Mind saying how many people are in the GroupMe right now?

That's actually really promising considering last year's enrolled class was ~200. Granted, there could be some accepted students not in the GroupMe, but 70 missing people overall. Thanks for the information!

The slack has even less people! Only like 70

I wonder which group: groupme or slack is a more accurate reflection of the current students planning to attend

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there just no WL movement this year lol is it really just gonna be like that :// :(

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah how many ppl are accepted every day off of the waitlist? The first week is almost over and I thought we were supposed to have the most movement this week… I’m losing hope. :(

They may be busy today with the convocation ceremony for class of ‘22, just saw their insta story

Reactions: 3 users
They may be busy today with the convocation ceremony for class of ‘22, just saw their insta story
Definitely agree that this is probably the reason there hasn’t been a ton of movement today

Have any new ppl joined the groupme or slack? Lmao I’m curious if any movement is happening at all

who wants to call and ask about waitlist movement so they can give us an unhelpful generic response :D

Is it time to assume that everyone is holding their acceptances and move on ?

There was some movement yesterday and one this morning joined (GroupMe). Wishing you all good luck!

What are y'all going to do if you don't get in? I'm freaking out because I am feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety. If anyone here is working on reapplying and wants to swap apps pls lmk!

What are y'all going to do if you don't get in? I'm freaking out because I am feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety. If anyone here is working on reapplying and wants to swap apps pls lmk!
As someone who was in that position last year (1 interview, 1 WL then R right before class start) I highly recommend acting as if you plan to reapply, and take a critical look at your app now to see how you can improve. Don't give up hope of course, just have a backup plan! 😊 take it easy, try not to stress out too much. You have worked hard & will get to where you want to go eventually!

As someone who was in that position last year (1 interview, 1 WL then R right before class start) I highly recommend acting as if you plan to reapply, and take a critical look at your app now to see how you can improve. Don't give up hope of course, just have a backup plan! 😊 take it easy, try not to stress out too much. You have worked hard & will get to where you want to go eventually!
I couldn't agree more with what peppy-doctor said! I was in your shoes and now am accepted. Don't give up hope, but it's better now to prepare for not getting in just in case. I know it was painful for me personally to look at my app and all of the hard work I did and know that I would need to re-apply all over again, but it was so worth it. I recommend you to start looking at your app with a critical eye, reach out to some of the medical schools you applied to, to see if they would be willing to do a rejection review and to start asking people you trust to look over your app and give you advice. Best of luck and hang in there!!

Same as the above posts, Do not lose hope, there is still a chunk of at least a couple more months and while the movement may not be fast it will be there. However, I would also start preparing for the new cycle right now, just in case. Furthermore, I was also in the WL gang last year. I was on the waitlist for NEOMED and didn't hear back. One thing I did as I was on WL since December was to take a hard look at my application and look for things I can do to change it. I decided to redo my application. I know that I had some good experiences, which I'm sure that a lot of y'all have also. I looked at my GPA and MCAT and found them to be lacking, and decided to
1) retake the MCAT again, due to having an ok score, but I knew I could do better if I prepared more this time.
2) decided to try at an SMP program to see if I can get a better GPA, with the added benefit of the SMP I took-- Toledo MSBS is a pipeline program for their MD class, with a guaranteed interview. While the SMP didn't pan out as I'd hoped( they do teach mostly the same stuff as their M1 class, but they also don't interview you till the end of April and let you know if you got in until the end of July even, with many ppl in the program being taken off of the waitlist, also with almost no communication there over the year, so kinda murky in nature there.)

Regardless, those are not the only things you can do, you can work to improve your application with new activities, research etc. but please try and update them overall. I would also try to apply to DO programs if you have not already. OUHCOM is an awesome program in the state of Ohio, and is said to be one of the better medical programs overall in the country, both DO and MD included.

I would highly recommend that you see if what updates you have for the application are significant enough to justify the schools taking a look again. I say this from experience, and after talking with a person on the adcoms. They do oftentimes put the apps from your previous attempt and new one to see what has changed. They said that they basically wanna know why they should give you a second chance when they said no once already. If you find the changes are not significant enough, then I would stay a year and take my time to build a solid application to reapply with. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is your future success defined by how early you got into medical school. This is something I can tell you being a reapplicant myself.

I apologize for grammar and other errors, I have been typing from a phone...

Thanks for your great advice everyone! I will still try to be optimistic for this cycle but begin reapplying! My MCAT (510) and gpa (3.77) is pretty mediocre but I will give it a shot next cycle anyways! I will apply early and to more schools and improve my writing/ change activity descriptions! I am also adding a new LOR from a physician I worked closely with this year on a clinical research project. Good luck to everyone in a similar boat!

• Care
Any acceptances this week? I wonder how many spots are left haha

a few years ago it seemed like the biggest wave was at the start of june, hopefully it'll be earlier than that though so we can make other cte deadlines

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
That's really good to hear! I was becoming so skeptical about whether or not many people were still getting off of the waitlist.

Fingers crossed for more waitlist movement this week! I’m limited by my other school’s earlier CTE so I’m really manifesting this May movement 🤞🏻

• Care
Fingers crossed for more waitlist movement this week! I’m limited by my other school’s earlier CTE so I’m really manifesting this May movement 🤞🏻
When is your other schools CTE? I thought all schools have the same CTE in late July lol

this is kind of a disappointing amount of movement for the first 2 weeks :(

A friend of mine got his call off the waitlist on Monday! Pretty sure he interviewed sometime in February.

• Love
A friend of mine got his call off the waitlist on Monday! Pretty sure he interviewed sometime in February.
thanks for telling us! must just not be a lot of sdn users getting the calls lol

Got the call today as well! Looks like movement isn't over. Stay positive everyone, you have got this.
edit: Interviewed in March

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just got the call! Interviewed in early February!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users