2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you to @G_hawks98 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Iowa (Carver) Secondary Essay Prompts

Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 characters)
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics or obstacles you may have overcome that will influence your contribution to a diverse healthcare system. (1500 characters)
Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (Up to 15 entries and 175 characters per description)
If applicable, Question 4:
If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (1500 characters)
If applicable, Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (1500 characters)



Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Interview Feedback
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Prompts are same as last year's! All are 1500 characters, except Q3.

Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics or obstacles you may have overcome that will influence your contribution to a diverse healthcare system.
Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (Up to 15 entries and 175 characters per description)
If applicable, Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?
If applicable, Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

@wysdoc
 
Newly admitted student at carver! Took a gap year and I’m participating in the SRF program, so ask away if you have questions about either of those!
How's the SRF program so far? What's the research experience like compared to your undergrad?
 
Has anyone who is applying to the MSTP program received a secondary? If so, would you mind sharing if there are different and/or additional questions than the MD only secondary essay prompts? Thank you!
 
If you've already received a secondary, when were you verified?
I was verified 6/1. Didn't receive a secondary until 7/6, though. So it might just take some time- they're probably sending them out in batches.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe completed activity hours, you can list completed hours but don't extend to future hours
This is what I ended up doing, including the same number of hours that are listed on my AMCAS. Otherwise, I technically wouldn't be able to include my current internship, and that has been huge for me in terms of patient contact, hours, etc.
 
Any OOS still not get a secondary?? I submitted first week on July and haven’t heard anything. They don’t prescreen do they??
 
This is what it said for the AAMC secondary policies page: "Overall and BCPM GPA 3.0. If not 3.0, 20 hours science post bacc or graduate work at 3.5 or higher. MCAT score must be 500 or higher to receive a secondary (all subcategories at least 123)."
 
considering I’m substantially above those stats should I be concerned? I am an OOS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the course and degree requirements tab, am I meant to fill out all of my courses or just the courses that meet the requirements? It has the prerequisites listed, but then it says stuff like "list all biology coursework that you have completed..."
 
For the course and degree requirements tab, am I meant to fill out all of my courses or just the courses that meet the requirements? It has the prerequisites listed, but then it says stuff like "list all biology coursework that you have completed..."
I interpreted it as the latter; I filled out "all" courses applicable to the instructions directly above the box.
 
Is it too late to apply for this college? In late July or early Aug should still be OK? I feel I need to apply to couple more colleges since my initial list was not that great, plus considering how my secondaries are going.
Yes, you'll be fine. You've got at least a few weeks before you're "too late" to submit a secondary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad