Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by SandstormDVM, Jun 16, 2017.

1. brgdo1994

Pre-Veterinary
    I also left a message, by phone today and portal (Saturday). Haven't heard back yet.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MAD MIKE O7

Pre-Veterinary
    Since you called I'll just wait it out haha

I don't want to flood her with all of these calls

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Falconette85, Tru108 and JamieWhitmer like this.
  4. Taylor Knuth

Taylor Knuth ISU CVM 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    I called her and was able to speak to her! She said the dean has been keeping her busy with some important tasks. However, she thinks that she will be able to get to everyone's portal messages tomorrow or Friday!!:)

5. Tru108

Tru108 Class of 2022 Hopeful!

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, I feel bad that all of us are flooding her voicemail and our portals with messages. I understand were all anxious, but we should probably calm down until Monday. This Sunday is when everyone needs to submit their deposits, so come Monday there should be A LOT of movement. I'm also on another waitlist so I'm hopeful I get good news from one of the two.

6. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    I should also add that I'm like dead last on the waitlist. I'm number 326/328 lol so my chances are super slim, but hey I'm still hoping for the best.

7. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    Monday is actually when the deposits are due because the 15th is a weekend day.

Sunshine in a Storm and Tru108 like this.
  8. Cbabcock22

Pre-Veterinary
    Has anyone in here done the master's program? Is it the biomedical science one? There are a couple different options but I don't know if that one "Looks better" than the others? Opinions appreciated!

9. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    Im currently in the One Year biomedical science program at ISU

emb30 and MAD MIKE O7 like this.
  10. snwlprd427

Veterinary Student
    I did the masters program last year. Message me if you have any questions ☺️

Tru108 likes this.
  11. Cbabcock22

Pre-Veterinary
    Has anyone had any luck with getting in contact with Katherine Kheul? I’m sure she’s swamped with phone calls but every time I call I get the answering service. I also messaged for my alternate status on my portal but haven’t heard anything. I’ll probably wait until after the 15th now since it’s so close.

12. manchiet

manchiet ISU CVM 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    No luck for me either my bet is that she turned her phone off i dont blame her. No reply on my portal message its been a week. Im starting to wonder if anyone did get off the list last fri!!?? I just want to know where im going :(

#661 manchiet, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  13. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    Didn’t they say everyone who had asked in the portal would be updated today or tomorrow?

Tru108 likes this.
  14. brgdo1994

Pre-Veterinary
    Yes she told someone that the dean has been keeping her very busy with other tasks and that she will try to update everyone by tomorrow. Hopefully that actually happens! :xf:

Tru108, Taylor Knuth and SkiOtter like this.
  15. toro2013

Pre-Veterinary
    Declined my OOS seat (not waitlisted) today. Hope admission is offered to one of you!

emb30, dashhund, JamieWhitmer and 9 others like this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Cbabcock22

Pre-Veterinary
    Got my updated alternate status. Went from 263 to 241. Still hoping they get that high.

18. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    Was it on your portal, or did she call?

19. emb30

Pre-Veterinary
    I messaged her Wednesday and she messaged back just a half hour ago! I went from 239 to now 216!

Sunshine in a Storm and Tru108 like this.
  20. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    I had gotten a portal message with my updated place. I asked with a portal message for an updated rank on Monday morning.

Tru108 likes this.
  21. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    I posted last Saturday on my portal and still haven't gotten any updates. I'll just twiddle my thumbs until I hear back. but thats great to both of you

emb30 and Taylor Knuth like this.
  22. Taylor Knuth

Pre-Veterinary
    Mine was just updated, and I had messaged on the portal on Saturday!

#670 Taylor Knuth, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Tru108 likes this.
  23. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    my new number is 302--so i've moved a total of 24 spots

24. Rozzieray

Rozzieray Class of 2022?...maybe

Pre-Veterinary
    I moved from 276 to 255 moved down 21 spots

Sunshine in a Storm likes this.
  25. manchiet

manchiet ISU CVM 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    moved 13 spots

26. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    You’re so close, right?!?!?!

27. RedLauren

RedLauren RVC 2022!

Pre-Veterinary
    So I wasn’t planning on accepting my offer but dean Halbur just called me offering a scholarship. Maybe I’ll see you all the fall :eek: ugh why is it so hard to decide? I have 2 days

Tru108, emb30, _arizona99_ and 2 others like this.
  28. CAndM16

CAndM16 PennVet c/o 2022

I just took myself off the waitlist as I was called off the PennVet waitlist today and I am committing there! I was number 91 originally. Best of luck to everyone waiting, it will happen! :)

emb30, manchiet, JamieWhitmer and 3 others like this.
  29. FutureDogtor

Pre-Veterinary
    What was your rank before? Trying to figure out if I moved any.

30. starlightbowl

Pre-Veterinary
    I think that should put me at about 261, at least it's moving :claps:
    I wonder how many spots are left to fill :thinking:
    The c/o 2022 Facebook page has 85 members and about 10 are admin, if it is an accurate representation.
    I can't wait to see the movement after Monday lol

Sunshine in a Storm and emb30 like this.
  31. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    People in the fb Page could also be from other classes. Other schools frequently have people from other classes in the lower class pages so I assume Iowa State is the same.
    Also not everyone has Facebook so there are probably some people who have put their deposit down that will never be on the fb page :p

starlightbowl likes this.
  32. MAD MIKE O7

Pre-Veterinary
    I went from 193 to 172 so I've moved 21 spots

Looking back at last year's thread it seems as though it's moving a bit slower this year. They had called number 28 by this time and we've gone through 21. Hopefully we'll see an increase in movement compared to last year on the 16th!

33. starlightbowl

Pre-Veterinary
    Ah yes, that is true! @[email protected]

34. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    21 spots doesn’t necessarily mean 21 people have been called. Some people above you on the waitlist most likely committed somewhere else and removed themselves, causing your spot to go up more. I think someone had said they had moved 13 places, so that could be a bit more accurate of a number depending on where they started.

Tru108 and MAD MIKE O7 like this.
  35. MAD MIKE O7

Pre-Veterinary
    Very true, either way we aren't moving as quickly as last year's alternate list.

Tru108 and Rozzieray like this.
  36. Tru108

Pre-Veterinary
    They could also be waiting to see how many spots they legitimately have before Monday. just like k-state.

37. CygnetMed

Pre-Veterinary
    Members of the incoming class' Facebook page will only be incoming students and admin until classes begin in the fall; there won't be members from other classes until/unless you, as a class, decide upon it in August at orientation.

sk_hoffman likes this.
  38. Bubs&Keiks

Pre-Veterinary
    I went from 46 to 32!! :)

manchiet and GravityRainbow like this.
  39. brgdo1994

Pre-Veterinary
    I was originally 43 and am now number 29! I think around this time last week we had the same estimate so it doesn’t look like it’s moved very much since the alternate deadline.

40. Bubs&Keiks

Pre-Veterinary
    In the hopes that I do get off the waitlist and having to chose between ISU and Western. I just want to know a few things

How does ISU's 4th year rotations work? I know there are 4 options: small animal, equine, mixed animal, and food animal. Is it a guarantee that you get the option/rotations you want? Also, are all the rotations done at the teaching hospital? I just want to know how much flexibility there is.

GravityRainbow likes this.
  41. CygnetMed

Pre-Veterinary
    I think the best place to find this kind of information is here (for the current VM1s/going to be VM2s, should be closest to what it will be for the incoming class): Class of 2021 Curriculum | Iowa State University

So like you mentioned, you can choose between a "track" oriented towards more small animal, mixed, food/large animal, and equine, but most of the rotations/courses are common between the different tracks (those are all the courses listed under "required blocks"). Then there are courses (listed under "required for _____ option") that are specifically required for that track. From there, there are different electives//selectives/ that are species specific electives available depending on what track you're doing/what your interests are. I don't think it's 100% guaranteed that you get first choice for every elective (as I would expect some are more popular than others), but they do a pretty good job matching up your interests/priorities for electives. All of the previous things are through the teaching hospital (large and small animal hospitals, the vet diagnostic lab, and through our field services units. Alternatively, these elective blocks/credits can also be fulfilled by credit-fulfilling experiences at different preceptorships/externships (i.e. experiences at other institutions that are accepted for credit) at different institutions, government organizations, businesses, etc. AKA, not at ISU vet med. Depending on your interests and the competition for specific experiences (like, zoo stuff is really competitive) students book these experiences during their second or third years (you get your rotation schedules like 2nd semester of VM2 so you know what weeks you have available to do them). Finally, you have 4 blocks (so 8 weeks) off from rotations for personal time/interviews, other non-credit preceptorships, etc. - to use as you wish.

That's the best of my understanding (and I know they're taking feedback from students every single year so things might change a bit before your fourth year!), but I hope that helps clarify things at least!

42. genny

genny Black cats are the best cats.
    Veterinarian

Veterinarian
    Here is the webpage with the rotation options: Class of 2021 Curriculum | Iowa State University

Doesn't look like it has changed much since I graduated. Basically, there is a core group of classes that everyone has to take, and these cover all species. Everyone also gets 4 blocks off, with each block being 2 weeks. Each option has its own required set of rotations as well, but you get plenty of time to schedule preceptorships and externships.

You don't always get what you want. In third year, you pick your track, rank the rotations you want most, put a hold on any weeks where you've already scheduled preceptorships, and then the schedule optimizer does its work. Some rotations are harder to get into than others - usually due to the limited number of students that could be accommodated. After the schedule optimizer spits out your schedule, you have a lot of time to make schedule changes, even during the first few months of your clinical year. You can even switch your track, if you can get into the appropriate core rotations. I did a lot of switching around, and changed my track from mixed to small animal and back to mixed again. I managed to get every rotation that I wanted because I was obsessive about looking at the openings available - so when a rotation that I hadn't been able to get into suddenly had an opening because someone else switched out, I jumped on the opportunity. And if you can't get something at the school, then it's not too much of a hassle to schedule a preceptorship or externship on that topic. A good example of this is the spay/neuter rotations through animal shelters; quite a few of my classmates scheduled things like this: Veterinary Student Externship

Not all the rotations are at the teaching hospital. A bunch of production animal rotations are run through Great Plains Veterinary Educational Center. There's a rotation at the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines. There are some shelter rotations run from various locations in the midwest. And the field services rotations for food animal and for equine are run out of the hospital, but you don't spend much time there.

Bubs&Keiks likes this.
  43. Cows4life

Pre-Veterinary
    Well I was #44 but got offered a seat at my instate school today so I will be taking myself off the waitlist. So you just got one spot closer

44. manchiet

manchiet ISU CVM 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    5 right now:cow:

Congrats everyone deciding on other schools!!

45. SkiOtter

Pre-Veterinary
    Ahhh!! GO YOU!

manchiet and Sunshine in a Storm like this.
  46. Taylor Knuth

Pre-Veterinary
    I’m 8!!! I hope we see lots of movement after Monday☺️

47. horselover_0709

Pre-Veterinary
    I moved from 303 to 280 so I moved up 23 spots and with 2 more people from here leaving the waiting list I should be around 278.

48. JamieWhitmer

JamieWhitmer C/O 2022 Hopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    Fingers crossed for lots of movement these next few weeks! Iowa is my top pick but I’m a little higher up on the list!

49. mvet

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey guys! Out of curiosity, what makes Iowa your top choice (for some of you) if you are OOS?

emb30 likes this.
  50. JamieWhitmer

JamieWhitmer C/O 2022 Hopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    The reason for it being my top choice is their large animal program, more specifically their food animal program. One of the vets I currently work under graduated from Iowa State with a food animal concentration and loved the program and the experience she got there as well. Personally the schools I was looking into all had pretty similar OOS tuition so that wasn’t as big of a factor for me.

51. starlightbowl

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm also interested in large animals and I liked their program. It seems like they have a lot of good large animal opportunities. Also, reading about the school and feedback from current and previous students just gave me a positive vibe overall. I like the tight-knit community feel!

JamieWhitmer and mvet like this.
  52. emb30

Pre-Veterinary
    I love that their food animal program is so strong! Plus all the hands on opportunities that the clubs offer and how they allow you to try so many different things even if you’re not sure what your interests might be! There is so much positive feedback from students from a recent student panel that was posted on YouTube that was extremely helpful and all the students seemed so happy! Also I went to the open house in April and that sealed the deal for me :) it also has a similar feel where I did my undergrad which I loved! Big school, small community feel with supportive staff :)

Falconette85, mvet and starlightbowl like this.