Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you with interview invites, what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

3.9/26
complete around july 30th

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone getting interviews!! Mind sharing your stats?

Hmm...I feel like I'm on the lower end of the stats spectrum compared to all these other interviewees with all their 30 mcat and 3.9 gpa ha.

3.53cu/3.3sci/26Q

No complete email either. Just the II.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I feel like I'm on the lower end of the stats spectrum compared to all these other interviewees with all their 30 mcat and 3.9 gpa ha.

3.53cu/3.3sci/26Q

We have nearly the same stats! I hope that is a good indicator for me soon. :) Congrats on the II

3.53cu/3.3sci/26Q

Congrats! I think it is your stats plus what you had in the application that made a difference. KCUMB is one of the top DO schools b/c of their attention to detail, and that starts with who they select. Is this number 2 ii?

Congrats! I think it is your stats plus what you had in the application that made a difference. KCUMB is one of the top DO schools b/c of their attention to detail, and that starts with who they select. Is this number 2 ii?

Haha thanks! Tis it is. I'm guessing it was the >1500 EMT and >300 research that helped. How's your II luck going?

That's a bit of a stretch. The general consensus is that KCUMB is a Tier-2 DO school. Not bad by any means -- just not "one of the top" (DMU, CCOM, PCOM, and ATSU-KCOM).

That's a bit of a stretch. The general consensus is that KCUMB is a Tier-2 DO school. Not bad by any means -- just not "one of the top" (DMU, CCOM, PCOM, and ATSU-KCOM).
As stated by ShyRem: I agree. When I was applying, my #1 osteo choice was DMU. After interviewing, it was obviously not a good fit for me and went to dead last. I withdrew from consideration. And UNE went from near bottom straight to #1 at my interview.

The "best" school is one that fits you. Your lifestyle, your personality, your learning style. If you're a city person, being in Kirksville is going to make you depressed and miserable. And if you're a country person, NYCOM will drive you insane.

It's just not that easy to say "this one" or "that one" is best. "Best" is very subjective.

I was just stating my opinion. This could change come interview.

Those of you who have received II..did you receive a "complete" email prior to the II? When I called KCUMB they said I was complete...but I never received an email saying so.

Congrats to all of you on your II!!! :)

Hey, so I had a question about the community size. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia so there are a lot of people around but I was not sure what size to put. I imagine there are less than 10,000 people in my actual city but there might be more than 20,000 in my county. I was not sure what to put as it asks for the "community" in which I grew up.

Hey, so I had a question about the community size. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia so there are a lot of people around but I was not sure what size to put. I imagine there are less than 10,000 people in my actual city but there might be more than 20,000 in my county. I was not sure what to put as it asks for the "community" in which I grew up.

Wikipedia is good about telling you populations of specific cities or suburbs. It's kind of a subjective question and I don't think it matters much.. just go with whichever one you feel is more representative of the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
stats are 3.84, 26Q.

I signed up for the wrong date lol =/

Trying to change to an earlier date.

Congrats to eryyoneee

Wondering about this too because I've heard a lot of good things about this school.

I wouldn't make a decision about a school based on a bad experience with admissions. I mean they're people who are entitled to having a bad day every once in awhile too. My bad experience was nothing over the top and wouldn't defer me from going here if accepted.

If you tell me what happened, I can give Ms. Birdsong from admissions a talking to...

I haven't been able to get access to the secondary for a few weeks now and the admissions department hasn't been very helpful. I'm thinking I probably won't end up submitting here since I can't even make it past the second page of the secondary.

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list, but the location makes me a little nervous. Can any current students comment on living in Kansas City?

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list, but the location makes me a little nervous. Can any current students comment on living in Kansas City?

Im from LA...love KC message me if you have any specific questions/what makes you nervous

BAM! secondary application with sGPA under a 3.25. Super pumped!

for those who have already filled out the seconday, can you please help clarify something for me. Should I answer this part of the essay - Describe your motivation for applying to KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine - the same way I would answer "Why did you choose to apply to KCUMB?" ?

Last edited:
ii today! but I cant set it up....some kind of webpage error. anyone else getting this?

for those who have already filled out the seconday, can you please help clarify something for me. Should I answer this part of the essay - Describe your motivation for applying to KCUMB’s College of Osteopathic Medicine - the same way I would answer "Why did you choose to apply to KCUMB?" ?

can I get some input on this please?

Got an II from here today but I think I may withdraw. 9 other ii's and I'd have to take a genetics class before matriculation here. :(

Got an II from here today but I think I may withdraw. 9 other ii's and I'd have to take a genetics class before matriculation here. :(

WOW! schools must really, really like what they see on your app. I am sure you will be able to snag multiple acceptances with this many interviews. Best of Luck!:)

personally unless money or time off work/school is an issue I wouldn't withdraw from any interviews...you never know when a school will make an impression on you. I have friends in my class who gave up acceptances to their state MD schools to attend KCUMB because they just loved what they heard and saw on interview day

just my 2 cents

personally unless money or time off work/school is an issue I wouldn't withdraw from any interviews...you never know when a school will make an impression on you. I have friends in my class who gave up acceptances to their state MD schools to attend KCUMB because they just loved what they heard and saw on interview day

just my 2 cents

Hey thanks for the advice. Like I said, unless I actually have an acceptance in hand it makes me very nervous to turn down an interview. That being said, I'm having to put everything on credit cards right now, so money is a big issue. I don't want to do private loans for med school, but if I keep on racking up the credit card debt that might be my only option come school time.

II! I had everything turned in 8/5 but did not call to confirm that I was complete until 8/15.
Interview is Sept 24th. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Westport if anyone wants to meet up!

Hey thanks for the advice. Like I said, unless I actually have an acceptance in hand it makes me very nervous to turn down an interview. That being said, I'm having to put everything on credit cards right now, so money is a big issue. I don't want to do private loans for med school, but if I keep on racking up the credit card debt that might be my only option come school time.

I feel your pain! I bet you'll get an acceptance sooner rather than later with all the interviews you have lined up! Maybe just schedule KCUMB for as late as possible - and you can always push it back more later.

That's what I did with AZCOM.. they only had September dates open when I signed up, but a few weeks later I was able to push it back to late October because I'm hoping i Have an acceptance from somewhere else before I have to pay to fly to Arizona.

I feel your pain! I bet you'll get an acceptance sooner rather than later with all the interviews you have lined up! Maybe just schedule KCUMB for as late as possible - and you can always push it back more later.

That's what I did with AZCOM.. they only had September dates open when I signed up, but a few weeks later I was able to push it back to late October because I'm hoping i Have an acceptance from somewhere else before I have to pay to fly to Arizona.

Yeah, that's a good idea and that's what I'm doing with LMU-DCOM and WVSOM. Havent scheduled my travel for those two yet. Just wish I would have waited to book travel for my interviews even if it would have cost me more to book later. Looks like no matter what acceptances I do/don't get I'm going to 6 more interviews for sure. Lol

Hey everyone,

I submitted all of my stuff yesterday and did not get a "complete" e-mail. Some of you said that you got invited for an interview without getting the "complete" e-mail. Should I call and make sure everything is okay or give it a week or two before I do the calling?

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I submitted all of my stuff yesterday and did not get a "complete" e-mail. Some of you said that you got invited for an interview without getting the "complete" e-mail. Should I call and make sure everything is okay or give it a week or two before I do the calling?

Thanks.

I sent them an e-mail about a week after submitting my secondary, asking what my status was. A few days later I got the II without a complete e-mail. So give them a bit to organize and review your file.

I sent them an e-mail about a week after submitting my secondary, asking what my status was. A few days later I got the II without a complete e-mail. So give them a bit to organize and review your file.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So many applications...organization is key!

Congrats on your interview btw. Good luck. I am really hoping for an interview at KCUMB. Is it true that pretty much everyone who gets a secondary gets interviewed?

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So many applications...organization is key!

Congrats on your interview btw. Good luck. I am really hoping for an interview at KCUMB. Is it true that pretty much everyone who gets a secondary gets interviewed?

Haha thanks :) is KCUMB your top choice? About the secondary to interview ratio, this is what someone posted earlier:

..................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108......... 3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............ 296......... 289................ 277

accepted/
interviews .........77%......... 89% .......92%

I'm not sure if the "apps" means primary, secondary, or both, but it gives you a good idea.

Haha thanks :) is KCUMB your top choice? About the secondary to interview ratio, this is what someone posted earlier:

..................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108......... 3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............ 296......... 289................ 277

accepted/
interviews .........77%......... 89% .......92%

I'm not sure if the "apps" means primary, secondary, or both, but it gives you a good idea.

So your chances of getting accepted post interview last year was 77%. Those are some nice odds. I don't have an interview...yet ;) so here is to hoping :xf:

KCUMB definitely in my top 5 schools. We'll see what happens, right?

I see you are from NJ, did you get an interview there yet? I am OOS and I am hoping for an interview there, badly. UMDNJ is a NICE school.

Hey, guys, I've been following this thread for a few weeks and I appreciate all the info you guys have shared. I just graduated from KU with a human bio degree. My gpa was about 3.3 sc/3.4 cum. I'm taking the mcat on Sept. 7th, but I'm not planning on applying to schools until next year. I have some questions and it would be great if anyone wouldn't mind answering them for me. Most stats I've found say the average matriculating mcat score for this year and next year is about a 27. I got 24's on my last couple of practice tests, so I'm hoping to get up to about a 26 for the actual exam. I'm just wondering if that will be high enough for applying next year, or if I should retake the test with the new format they're rolling out next year. I see that a lot of people in this thread have higher scores and better gpas than I do, so my questions are:

Even though the average is a 27, does anyone know how many people with lower scores get in, given that they accept apps from anyone with a 23 or higher?

Also, how much does living in Kansas affect my chances of acceptance? I know that, technically, KCUMB is in Missouri, but does anyone know if they're likely to be a little more lenient on applicants from KS and MO?

Additionally, I speak Spanish and am going to be learning French over the coming year, in addition to working in some type of health care job. How much do factors like these play into acceptance?

I just ask, because, while I understand a lot of the mcat topics fairly well, constant biology classes over the years have caused me to read very slowly, absorbing all the details, so the speed necessary for the mcat is difficult for me, making me less competitive than many, since it's hard to change the way my brain has grown accustomed to processing information. Anyways, like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, guys, I've been following this thread for a few weeks and I appreciate all the info you guys have shared. I just graduated from KU with a human bio degree. My gpa was about 3.3 sc/3.4 cum. I'm taking the mcat on Sept. 7th, but I'm not planning on applying to schools until next year. I have some questions and it would be great if anyone wouldn't mind answering them for me. Most stats I've found say the average matriculating mcat score for this year and next year is about a 27. I got 24's on my last couple of practice tests, so I'm hoping to get up to about a 26 for the actual exam. I'm just wondering if that will be high enough for applying next year, or if I should retake the test with the new format they're rolling out next year. I see that a lot of people in this thread have higher scores and better gpas than I do, so my questions are:

Even though the average is a 27, does anyone know how many people with lower scores get in, given that they accept apps from anyone with a 23 or higher?

Also, how much does living in Kansas affect my chances of acceptance? I know that, technically, KCUMB is in Missouri, but does anyone know if they're likely to be a little more lenient on applicants from KS and MO?

Additionally, I speak Spanish and am going to be learning French over the coming year, in addition to working in some type of health care job. How much do factors like these play into acceptance?

I just ask, because, while I understand a lot of the mcat topics fairly well, constant biology classes over the years have caused me to read very slowly, absorbing all the details, so the speed necessary for the mcat is difficult for me, making me less competitive than many, since it's hard to change the way my brain has grown accustomed to processing information. Anyways, like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

First post, well let me first say welcome to SDN!
A 26 doesn't necessarily take you out of the running for any school. But you do need to realize that it makes you less competitive so you may have more issues getting interviews, and having a higher MCAT is nice to be able to balance out a lower GPA. So, that's basically going to be your call. As far as anyone being able to tell you how many people get in with a lower score like a 23, that's really anybody's guess I don't think there are specific data on that, and that would be pretty school specific.
As for being a resident of Kansas, I don't really know much about that since I'm out of state for every school, so I didn't bother looking into that too much.
As for the foreign languages, anything that sets you apart from the other applicants can be helpful. I earned a bachelors degree in Spanish and used Spanish quite a bit in healthcare settings. I think that has helped me be different than other applicants. Really though, it all comes down to how you sell yourself, or how you present your self to admissions committees on paper and in person.
Well, that's about all I can help you with. Hopefully other people will have useful information as well. Good luck in your applications next year!

Hi Everyone, I've been a little off my game so this is late but wanted to let my fellow SDNers know I received an interview invite Monday afternoon. I think they must be reviewing apps on a rolling basis since this was the last secondary I finished. I'm excited for this as its my first interview and also at a strong program. Any other September 10th interviewees?

Hi Everyone, I've been a little off my game so this is late but wanted to let my fellow SDNers know I received an interview invite Monday afternoon. I think they must be reviewing apps on a rolling basis since this was the last secondary I finished. I'm excited for this as its my first interview and also at a strong program. Any other September 10th interviewees?

I submitted mine a couple days ago! Would you mind sharing your stats/extracurriculars?

I submitted mine a couple days ago! Would you mind sharing your stats/extracurriculars?

They had a fast turn around with me but it was still 2 weeks or so, so don't fret if nothing for the next while.

Good luck!

Last edited:

I'll see you there on the 10th Mosonik.