KCOM,KCOM,KCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s42brown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from St. Louis so that definitely has something to do with the fact that KCOM is my first choice. My question is why do you hardly see KCOM's name coming up in this forum. Being the first Osteopathic medical school it appears to me that KCOM is the flag ship for osteopathic schools and after my visit there last weekend that is the attitude that I got from the school. KCOM stands out from many of the other schools in many ways, including pass percentages of the COMLEX, website, and research conducted by faculty. I realize that the small town of Kirksville is not appealing to everyone, however I would've thought to see KCOM's name pop up a little more often. Does anyone have a comment on this?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I would LOVE to go to KCOM!!...thats also my top choice school!

But you're right, people dont' mention it often.

I think many of the KCOM discussions, at least on the other DO board, are condensed into the KCOM class of 2006 and KCOM class of 2005 threads.
I agree with you both. KCOM stands out among medical schools as being absolutely top of the line. They have a great reputation, state of the art facilities, and all of the KCOM graduates I have met have stood out as being extremely impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY HOW ABOUT A BIG OLD BUMP

I went to undergrad in Kirksville, MO (Truman State University) and got accepted to KCOM, but I chose to attend OSU-COM instead. I agree that KCOM is a great school, but OSU gets literally no ink at SDN. Similar to KCOM, OSU's pass rates are consistently 99-100% for the COMLEX and USMLE.

Good luck!

Be sure to check out Thousand Hills State Park - one of our favorite spots to relax.
:cool:

Know where Milan is? I go there every summer. Got family there :D

I absolutely LOVE that part of the country.

I go to PCOM.

Every once in awhile we hear the KCOM name appear.

We have an OMM faculty member from KCOM who talks about his time there.

Seems like a nice place.

It's no PCOM, but a great school nonetheless! ;) ;) ;)

NOTE: Any KCOMers or future KCOMers please do not take offense to my above statement. This message board has a habit of attractive neurotic premeds and medical students who get all ticked off when you say the sky is blue and they think it's "light blue."

My question is why do you hardly see KCOM's name coming up in this forum.

It could be that KCOM students are studying hard, and have no time to browse SDN.

Sometimes seeing your school's name in this forum may not always be good. It all depends on the content of the thread. I do not know how long you have been browsing SDN. You might have noticed there are many threads about a DO school in the west coast. Some of its students were extremely vocal. They complained about its administration's lack of compassion, a certain professor sucked, blah blah blah. The root of all those bitching was that marginal students not doing well and blame the school for their failure. They were trying to bring its school's reputation down to the mud. They even discouraged prospective students from attending that school. How sad and how pathetic. Can you imagine if you put those students to MSUCOM. I do not think anyone of them can survive. They probably flunk out much sooner. MSUCOM students had taken seven exams in nine days, most exams have about 60 questions, and give you on the average of 45 seconds to write down the correct answer, and 78% correct is passing (MSUCOM uses a pass/fail grade system). Yet, you do not see any MSUCOM students complain. MSUCOM students speak highly of their school and they work very hard. Also, MSUCOM students have to attend classes all year around while this west coast DO school attend school only nine months out of a year.

So, my friend, sometimes it's good not to see your school's name on SDN.

I have an interview scheduled for KCOM, but wow, it really is an obstable getting there. Since I'd rather not drive, it's a plane, train, and taxi ride there. It will take me a shorter time getting to europe than it would getting to kirskville. It costs more too. :confused:

My application was just placed on hold. Any KCOM students ever have this experience? Any thoughts on my chances of getting an interview later on? Congratulations Avonlea!! And best wishes on your journey there.

First off, Congrats Avonlea! I agree....getting here to the Ville can be quite a pain! You might want to see if there is a shuttle bus since I heard these are cheaper (about $40 one way). A student paid HUNDREDS more for taking a taxi. So, check that out.

I am not a KCOM student, but a spouse of a 2006er.....hence the time to actually write. LOL

I think the reason that you don't see kcom come up alot, is because most of the students are busy. The schedule here is tough (as it is at most schools) and the students here are really dedicated to doing well (as they also are at most schools).

The off times are filled with fun.....and not generally computer time. Last night we all danced and partied and stayed up way too late......much more fun then writing on a forum and much more likely to be a stress relief. :) The instructors would agree as some of them were out partying (hanging out) with everyone as well. :)

ANY kcomer though that you emailed with questions.....would be really happy to answer them.....or point you in the right direction. It is almost Twilight-Zoneish at how friendly and helpful people are here!

Don't know if that helped answer the question. So basically, imo, kcomers don't post as much cuz they are 1. studying 2. playing. :)

Take care and good luck! Fyi, I LOVE it here and I am from Seattle area which is really, really different. :)

I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

With smiles,
Wifty

Hey Wifty! Great to see you here. And we did have a GREAT time last night!

I'll second the notion that KCOMers are busy. As an MSI, I can vouch that we've been pretty slammed the last couple of weeks, but hopefully as things simmer down, you'll be seeing us post a lot more.

I'm really excited for all of you applying - this is a great time. KCOM was my first choice too, and I haven't been let down. The academics, professors, students and atmosphere are the best I could have hoped for. I know that we will become excellent docs.

Good luck to all of you! Awdc, I think you still have a good chance, seeing that you applied so early in the cycle. Hang in there! And like Wifty said, feel free to send us private messages if you have questions we could help you with. Talk to you later,

-Andrea

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rotatores
Pass rate of 100% on the COMPLEX and the USMLE!!!

Why do I have a hard time believing this.

Don't know why you have a hard time believing it.
It IS documented and can be researched and looked up if you need the proof. Of course, such numbers aren't indicative of every years pass rate.....there are years that are a couple percentage points less.

However, the 100% on the USMLE actually attracted the attention of the people who are in charge of it and they did come to the school to look at the curriculum and how things were done that allowed for such a high pass rate so frequently.

Such things are important to look at when deciding on a school, but they aren't the only thing. A pass rate of 100% does not insure that your class or you as an individual will pass at that level, or pass at all.

There are great things about KCOM, but there are great things about other schools. You need to find the school that works best for you and enables you to have the best success. Past years pass rates will not clinch this for an individual if the person is not happy in their environment or happy with other aspects of the school.

Anyways, if you still don't believe, it is possible to contact KCOM for the facts and I think you can also contact USMLE or COMLEX for the scores. Then you would have proof.

Good luck.

Wifty

So I stand corrected, but I still want to see the so called "documented proof" you're talking about.

BTW, I'm not looking for a med school I'm already an MS1.

thanks,

USUHS 2006

Whats the largest city near KCOM thats in easy commute distance? My wife is a cpa who prefers large cities over small towns to work in.

It depends on your definition of large city. Compared to everything else in an hour and half radius, K-ville is the largest city at about 17000 people. The largest city after that is Columbia, MO an hour and half south of K-ville. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by jmccade
Whats the largest city near KCOM thats in easy commute distance? My wife is a cpa who prefers large cities over small towns to work in.

Then you really shouldn't go to KCOM. Although as the above poster says it depends on your definition of 'large', most people's defintion of 'large city' does not include anything within commuting distance of KCOM. KCOM is a great school, but it's nowhere near anything.

Hey I can't wait for these damn scores to be up. I would like to start a class of 2007 thread but I think it will be bad luck if I do before I see my scores. anyway everone have a good weekend:clap: :clap: :clap:

How in the world are we supposed to get to KCOM?????

guess I should be a little more clear..... I will be comming from Chicago.....

You might look into taking the train from Chicago to La Plata. La Plata is a fifteen minute drive south of K-ville. I think the trip might take around 5 hours and they usually run some pretty good deals. Here's the website for Amtrak: www.amtrak.com Hope this helps!

hey guys,
just wanted to wish you all luck with all of the application process! i'm an MSI at KCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you have. i also wanted to comment that my husband also requires a larger town for the work he does, but he has sacrificed 2 years to let me follow my dream of being a doc. one of the best features of KCOM is that it allows you to do your rotations at various sites around the country. we are probably going to move to michigan, arizona or florida after next year. don't rule out KCOM because of it's location. i came very close to doing it myself, and that would have been one of the greatest mistakes of my life......again, any questions are welcome and try to remain calm. you'll be where you want to be in no time at all!

If what you want is the big city with lots of stores, lots of malls and lots of people, Kirksville isn't it. If what you want is to have a good name, an alma matter with weight behind its name and the competative edge over 99% of the allopathic (and osteopathic) world, then reconsider Kirksville. My friends find no lack of bars, friends to drink with, clubs, social activities and fun-runs to the nearest sushi bar (1 1/2 hrs away). I personally love the beauty of the wildlife-- the wild turkeys along the road, the deer on my front lawn, -- rent below $400 a month for a house(!) and the solid assurance that as long as I do what the school asks of me, I'll pass my boards and be a knowledgeable doctor.
My wife is from a town of 7 million. I am from a town of 50,000. We love Kirksville.

If anyone thinking about going to KCOM wants a look into the mind of a first year student, check out www.jasondreyer.com.

I have only my own opinion to share, but I do it honestly and candidly. I hope it helps and please do not hesitate to email with specific questions or concerns. Also, if you have an interview and want a free place to stay... I'm right across the street from school.

Good luck,
-Jason

Hey Jason,
You are really THE MAN! You're site is awesome and I just wish people like you attended other schools so we could get a better view of what its really like in med school.
I bow down to you in your dedication to keeping it up and keeping it real.

:clap: :clap: :cool:

A,

Thanks for the support. It's nice to get that kind of input. I don't know your situation, but good luck with whatever your're pursuing.

Take care,
-Jason

I've been poo-ed on by KCOM...

no interview for me

What a day overall, I should've just stayed in bed...

frustration = more smashie smashie:
+pissed+

P.S. the pity emoticon doesn't work :mad: it just keeps getting better and better :mad:

I was accepted 10/31 and they want $1000 by 12/14 from me.

Well I interviewed 10/24 (a Thursday). And they told us that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays so my file could get reviewed the following Wednesday if they could get to it. They told us to call in a week (10/31). I did call at 8:00a.m. on 10/31 (I couldnt wait!!) And I heard those words I'll never forget, "Congratulations you have been accepted." Back to the question, I think I received the letter about four days after I actually called them.

I went to visit KCOM in early October and had a great time. I now have an interview there the 22nd of November. One of the many things I learned during my tour of the campus was that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays so if you want to find out your fate as a physician that same week schedule your interview for Monday. If you can wait a little bit schedule it for Thursday or Friday, it gave me a little more time to visit the town.

cutty
:p