KCUMB or DMUCOM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Ok so I got into kcumb, but was invited to interview at DMUCOM and I'm not sure whether to take the interview and check out DMUCOM or let someone else take it and stay with kcumb. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on the schools and why would you chose one over another. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at DMU first and afterwards was pretty much set on going there if accepted. I went to KCUMB a couple weeks after. Loved the school, but I just liked DMU more. Strangely enough, there are tons of thread comparing these 2 schools specifically. You should check em' out! :)

As for whether you should go to DMU... I'd say, if you aren't in a financial bind or there aren't any other limiting factors, then go for it. If nothing else, you'll have a nice lunch. :)

But ya... check out those other threads using the search function. You'll get tons of pros/cons of each school. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say at least check it out. Before I withdrew the rest of my interviews I interviewed at DMU and KCUMB. Both are nice, but they are completely different. As I have said in another thread, KCUMB has a bunch of fantastic things to offer their students, but I couldn't put my finger on why I knew it wasn't for me. People mention the "feeling." This is 100% accurate. Granted I am biased, but the entire DMU day was exciting for me. Seeing everything on campus was fun. KCUMB just wasn't the same.

BUT, having said that, I guarantee there were many people that interviewed at these two places and would say KCUMB is 10x better than DMU. All the more reason to at least check out DMU. A caveat though is if you against living in Des Moines, or have strong ties to Kansas City. This was my case so subconsciously, I was probably going to feel that way even if the campuses were reversed.

Long story short (too late), if you can't see yourself going to DMU regardless of getting accepted, don't go. But if you can, it is at least worth a look.

Also, love the avatar.

Personally, I don't choose based on the school...I choose based on its OPTI.
More or less, every school will give you the same materials...same board prep...same classes...

DMU OPTI has 5 FP programs and 1 GS program.

KCUMB OPTI has the following programs:

2 Int Med, 1 Derm, 1 Pediatrics, 2 Emergency Med, and 1 ENT (Otolaryngology/Oro-Facial Plastic Surgery)

If you want FP, peds, IM go to either (FP, peds, IM aren't that competitive).
GS--> DMU
Derm, EM, ENT-->KCUMB

Last edited:
I think the (lecture-based) systems curriculi are the same at DMU and KCUMB...
Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

More or less, every school will give you the same materials...same board prep...same classes...

2 Int Med, 1 Derm, 1 Pediatrics, 2 Emergency Med, and 1 ENT (Otolaryngology/Oro-Facial Plastic Surgery)

GS--> DMU
Derm, EM, ENT-->KCUMB

Are you trying to say that you think by going to KCUMB you'll have a better chance of getting into their Derm program?

GS--> DMU
Derm, EM, ENT-->KCUMB

on the flipside, looking through university of iowa's residency programs, you will see that many are very friendly to DO graduates, and very friendly to DMU. Maybe it is just proximity, but it is still something to consider.

Last edited:
Are you trying to say that you think by going to KCUMB you'll have a better chance of getting into their Derm program?

Let's say you are the program director at their Derm program.
You have two students who have very impressive (and similar) board scores, personalities, clinical evaluations, research, motivation, grades, etc.
One from DMU and one from KCUMB.
And you have to choose one. Who will you choose?

When it comes down to this, every OPTI will choose its own student over another school's student. This is no secret. NYCOMEC is the only one which boldly states this as, "NYCOM students are given priority" (I don't know if there are other OPTI's who openly say this or not). However, an in-depth analysis of match lists will show you the same pattern.

That being said, with hard work, devotion and persistance you can do anything. Nonetheless, knowing/acknowledging that this is the case is a better idea...

fyi that is how I chose my school, and I even told my interviewer straight up...

Last edited:
on the flipside, looking through university of iowa's residency programs, you will see that many are very friendly to DO graduates, and very friendly to DMU. Maybe it is just proximity, but it is still something to consider.

Anesthesiology
PGY1-KCOM, DMUCOMx2 (10 residents total)
PGY2-Western (14)
PGY3-EVVCOM, KCOM, LECOM, KCUMB (13)
PGY4-X (12)

Pediatrics: They aren’t listing schools, but I can tell you that multiple schools are represented by DMUCOM, KCUMB, KCOM, AZCOM, TCOM

IM
PGY1-KCOM (28)
PGY2-DMUCOM, KCOM, KCUMB (27)
PGY3-CCOM, KCUMB, KCOMx2, DMUCOM, AZCOM (27)

A sampling of DO school graduates at UIHC residencies. They are pretty DO friendly at baseline in multiple programs (less so in the tops in the nation ENT and Ophtho).

Anesthesiology
PGY1-KCOM, DMUCOMx2 (10 residents total)
PGY2-Western (14)
PGY3-EVVCOM, KCOM, LECOM, KCUMB (13)
PGY4-X (12)

Pediatrics: They aren’t listing schools, but I can tell you that multiple schools are represented by DMUCOM, KCUMB, KCOM, AZCOM, TCOM

IM
PGY1-KCOM (28)
PGY2-DMUCOM, KCOM, KCUMB (27)
PGY3-CCOM, KCUMB, KCOMx2, DMUCOM, AZCOM (27)

A sampling of DO school graduates at UIHC residencies. They are pretty DO friendly at baseline in multiple programs (less so in the tops in the nation ENT and Ophtho).

so maybe they aren't necessarily DMU friendly, but definitely DO friendly.

Any chance I could get into DMU? 3.65 gpa, 3.45 bcpm gpa. 30 MCAT, lots of research including receiving a URA grant. Shadowed in the SDS department of local hospital 3 hr week for three months. Great LORs. Is it worth applying?

Any chance I could get into DMU? 3.65 gpa, 3.45 bcpm gpa. 30 MCAT, lots of research including receiving a URA grant. Shadowed in the SDS department of local hospital 3 hr week for three months. Great LORs. Is it worth applying?

Yes, you can get into DMU. I was interviewed with a 3.3 GPA/31 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Oh that is such welcome news for an anxious pre med such as myself! Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
i cant believe this was a serious question...ofc u can get in with those stats/reseme.